Honda CRV or Suburu Forrester or other SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rramaswa

Honda CRV or Suburu Forrester or other SUV

Post by rramaswa »

Hello
I am hoping for this forum to provide some advice on SUV's
I have been test driving Honda CRV and Suburu forrester and having a hard time deciding which way to go.

Some back ground information.

1) I retired this year and therefore, I hope to buy a car that I can enjoy during retirement. Comfort is key. That means smooth driving car with good power. I like quiet cars.
2) I have driven only Honda's all my life (CIVIC, ACCORD and PILOT). The car dealer is walking distance and therefore servicing is very easy for me. I have a track record and experience with this maker of car. I know what i will get
3) I am like to go for hybrid car if I can
4) The test drive of Forrester seem to be better than Honda CRV although online reviews favor HONDA CRV for its engine.
5) the Suburu Dealer is not near where I live and therefore, servicing might be challenging. The dealer said they will given me loaner if needed and they can pick up the car from my home.

The suburu sales manager and the dealer were nice while Honda did not seem to care to get my business. I can always buy HONDA CRV from another dealer.
Given this is a big investment for me. I am hoping this forum can provide their wisdom and insights.
Hiker-Biker

Re: Honda CRV or Suburu Forrester or other SUV

Post by Hiker-Biker »

I have a Mazda CX-5. It's a quiet, smooth riding compact SUV. Consumer Reports states it's very reliable and handles well. Like Subaru, dealers may be farther away. If hauling things is what you do, I would avoid it since it has less cargo room than the CRV or Forrester.
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

I have owned a few foresters. Love them. Great in the snow. Reliable, fuel efficient.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm I have a Mazda CX-5. It's a quiet, smooth riding compact SUV. Consumer Reports states it's very reliable and handles well. Like Subaru, dealers may be farther away. If hauling things is what you do, I would avoid it since it has less cargo room than the CRV or Forrester.
Thank you
I will test drive this car
claypigeon

Post by claypigeon »

I have a forester and our neighbors have a similar year CRV. I recommend test driving those, the Mazda CX-5, and the RAV4.

Each have their niche. I love my subie but the engine power is weak and you need to gun it to merge on certain highways near us. I believe it’s the narrowest of the SUVs in this range so is great for a 2 car garage. It’s quiet and I appreciate the elevation and vantage point. Also it’s very easy to get a good deal and they retain their value well. Check out the Subaru Forester forums for a very active thread tracking prices and get the $500 coupon (worst case scenario, you can make a $500 deductible donation to certain charities and get the $500 Subaru ambassador coupon).

If I felt more comfortable spending money, I found the CX-5 to have the best drive out of these and enough luxury inside to match an entry level BMW or Mercedes while not being as flashy as them. The CRV and RAV4 both had better power than the forester. RAV4 was wider and seemed more mainstream and upscale though less so than the CX-5. The CRV was the best balanced and at the best priced other than the slightly more affordable Forester if wanting all wheel drive or finding a good deal.

The other quirk is how you’ll drive it. This is where the forester won for me. I wanted all wheel drive for snow and that comes standard which made the numbers work. If not needing that I think the CX-5 is a better overall package if you care about the interior and the CRV is a better deal if you have young kids or pets and don’t care as much about the interior. The RAV4 was too noisy for me but had a cooler exterior than the CRV but wasn’t as good an interior as the CX5.

My dealer has offered home pickup for maintenance throughout COVID so that might be nice. You can get the 3 year warranty for about $1k by shopping around and transferring it to your home store last I checked but take a look at the forester forum for up to date details. They’re a very good deal finding resource. And you can find huge discrepancies state to state. I got my sport for 27k even before taxes, title, license, and coupon, but that was in November on the last model year left in my metro area
Last edited by claypigeon on Fri May 14, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
rramaswa

Post by rramaswa »

claypigeon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 pm I have a forester and our neighbors have a similar year CRV. I recommend test driving those, the Mazda CX-5, and the RAV4.

Each have their niche. I love my subie but the engine power is weak and you need to gun it to merge on certain highways near us. I believe it’s the narrowest of the SUVs in this range so is great for a 2 car garage. It’s quiet and I appreciate the elevation and vantage point. Also it’s very easy to get a good deal and they retain their value well. Check out the Subaru Forester forums for a very active thread tracking prices and get the $500 coupon (worst case scenario, you can make a $500 deductible donation to certain charities and get the $500 Subaru ambassador coupon).

If I felt more comfortable spending money, I found the CX-5 to have the best drive out of these and enough luxury inside to match an entry level BMW or Mercedes while not being as flashy as them. The CRV and RAV4 both had better power than the forester. RAV4 was wider and seemed more mainstream and upscale though less so than the CX-5. The CRV was the best balanced and at the best priced other than the slightly more affordable Forester if wanting all wheel drive or finding a good deal.

The other quirk is how you’ll drive it. This is where the forester won for me. I wanted all wheel drive for snow and that comes standard which made the numbers work. If not needing that I think the CX-5 is a better overall package if you care about the interior and the CRV is a better deal if you have young kids or pets and don’t care as much about the interior. The RAV4 was too noisy for me but had a cooler exterior than the CRV but wasn’t as good an interior as the CX5.

My dealer has offered home pickup for maintenance throughout COVID so that might be nice. You can get the 3 year warranty for about $1k by shipping around and transferring it to your home store last I checked but take a look at the forester forum for up to date details. They’re a very good deal finding resource. And you can find huge discrepancies state to state. I got my sport for 27k even before taxes, title, license, and coupon, but that was in November on last model year
Thank you very much. Very helpful information
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

claypigeon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm I have a Mazda CX-5. It's a quiet, smooth riding compact SUV.
I test drove the CRV EX-L and the CX-5 recently. I ruled out the CX-5 because to use the infotainment system, you need to use a knob and some buttons instead of touch screen. The interface is too awkward in my opinion. I also thought that the CX-5 dashboard was too angular and full or sharp angles in contrast to the smooth, nicer CRV one.

I was hoping to get the Hybrid CRV Touring edition but there are few models on the lot and the wife really wants white/ivory which is rare. I think I'm stuck getting EX-L or waiting for 2022 models to come out.
Living Free

Post by Living Free »

Agree with above recs to definitely check out the Mazda CX5. Car and Driver reviewers loved it, Consumer Reports have Mazda now in the top 3 in reliability. We got a 2016 and are very pleased with it.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

I retired a year ago and decided to buy my last car. Going into the process, I expected to buy a late model Mazda CX-5. We found the 2019 Subaru Outback to be a better fit for us than either the Mazda or Honda. DW liked the Outback seats, and especially the headrest. FWIW, there were no Foresters available in our price range; COVID had done a number on availability.
Nothing to say, really.
babadi

Post by babadi »

Another satisfied CX-5 driver here. I have the Signature trim, which wasn't easy to find, but it's a really nice car for the money. The styling, cabin materials and seats are top notch and driving dynamics are great. Performance is great with the turbo, which was a selling point for me. OP mentioned that power is a priority, and so many cars in this class are underpowered.

I previously had the 2015 model, which I liked a lot, but the 2020 solved every complaint I had about it except for cargo space. (Can't have everything, right?)

I even came to like the dreaded infotainment knob system. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but I actually think it ends up being less awkward than trying to use a touchscreen while driving.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Get the Mazda CX-5 with the turbo and AWD. It will be by FAR the most fun to drive and has the most powerful engine by a decent margin. It will do fine in the snow, although if that's your priority you'd probably have already bought the Forester.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic moved to Personal Consumer Issues.
Watty

Post by Watty »

rramaswa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm Comfort is key. That means smooth driving car with good power. I like quiet cars.
The best thing you could do would be to figure out a way to take each of them for an extended test drive or rent one for a few days.

The are both fine cars so there is really not a bad choice. If one feels better to you then that would be a good way to decide.

That said I bought a Forester a few weeks ago so I am biased so take what I say with a big grain of salt.

I got the Limited trim level with the reverse auto braking package so it has most of the safety features you can get.

Here are a couple of things;

1) The Forester has a higher Top Safety Pick+ rating and the CR-V only got a Top Safety Pick (no +) rating but only if you get a high trim level with upgraded headlights.

Things like automatic braking get a lot of the press but there have also been a lot of safety advances in headlights too so don't ignore those. The Foresters headlines will shift when you are going through a turn so read the details on that to see how that compares to the CR-Vs headlights.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks

2) The Forester usually gets on the lists for
Best visability
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-saf ... isibility/

Short drivers(my wife is short)
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-be ... t-drivers/

Seniors
https://www.consumerreports.org/elderly ... y-seniors/

One thing I did see was that Consumers Reports ranked Subaru real high but J. D. Powers ranks them lower. Part of this is J.D. Powers looks at the model years three years ago(2018) and counts the number of problems the car had. The issue with this is that a problem with an infotainment system not doing bluetooth pairing with your cell phone is counted the same as an transmission problem. Subaru had a lot of problems with their infotainment system a few years ago but hopefully they have addressed that. My impression is that the Subaru infotainment system is a notch below most other brands if that is important to you.

This articles has some information on the latest J.D. Powers rankings and mentions that the Forester got a individual award by J.D. Powers.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru- ... odel-award#
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

My vehicle is 20 years old and so each year I pick out the replacement if I need one...I will get by another year with a few repairs just done (which is fortunate since I have developed an attachment to my vehicle, but I digress...). For myself, its the Forrester. It comes down to comfort since I am tall. The CRV offers me no more leg room than my current vehicle which I feel like I have to fold into.

My neighbor on the other hand, replaced her SUV. She's very short and it was getting difficult to get in and out of. She went with a sedan.

My current vehicle still uses a key. Do any new cars have keys or are they all pushbutton? Another friend got a new vehicle since it was getting difficult to turn the key...who would have thought about these issues for a senior.

I would place zero value when they said they will give you a loaner, there is no guarantee they will honor that verbal commitment. A sales person or manager can't make a verbal commitment on behalf of the entire dealership - ask them to put it in writing and see what happens.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
davedci1

Post by davedci1 »

Forester. 2001 and still running like a champ. Same engine.
ClassOf2021

Post by ClassOf2021 »

I bought a 2018 forester. I wanted the safety features that Subaru offered and was planning on getting the outback which has a smoother ride...longer wheelbase. I chose the forester after test driving because of the better visibility. I’ve been happy with it.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm
My current vehicle still uses a key. Do any new cars have keys or are they all pushbutton? Another friend got a new vehicle since it was getting difficult to turn the key...who would have thought about these issues for a senior.
Yes, I think they all have push button ignition. At least all of the cars I test drove recently. I like it and had it since I got my first Nissan Altima back in 2008.

I agree that I never would have thought about key turning being difficult for some seniors.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm My vehicle is 20 years old and so each year I pick out the replacement if I need one...I will get by another year with a few repairs just done (which is fortunate since I have developed an attachment to my vehicle, but I digress...). For myself, its the Forrester. It comes down to comfort since I am tall. The CRV offers me no more leg room than my current vehicle which I feel like I have to fold into.

My neighbor on the other hand, replaced her SUV. She's very short and it was getting difficult to get in and out of. She went with a sedan.

I would place zero value when they said they will give you a loaner, there is no guarantee they will honor that verbal commitment. A sales person or manager can't make a verbal commitment on behalf of the entire dealership - ask them to put it in writing and see what happens.
"Another friend got a new vehicle since it was getting difficult to turn the key...who would have thought about these issues for a senior."
I would worry that if you cannot turn an ignition key that it is likely best you are not driving.
WapelloHawk

Post by WapelloHawk »

I bought a new CX-5 in February. Only 2100 miles so far, but it is a fantastic car. Good looking inside and out, great tech.

Bought the Grand Touring model with the Premium package. It is front wheel drive, non turbo. Paid about $31,500 not including taxes.

In town, it has been getting about 26 mpg.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Has Honda ever actually fixed the gas dilution of oil issue that they previously solved by simply denying the problem exists?

If your biggest requirement is a smooth ride and power, test a Subaru Legacy with the H6 engine. It's going to ride better and have better power than either of the SUVs you're considering. Being a sedan, which is out of favor now, you can pick up a 1 or 2 year old one for a greatly reduced price.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

I was in a similar boat two years back. A lot of people on this forum said to check the CX5. I fell in love with its looks but it was just not practical for us. It has a much smaller cargo size than others, did not have a hybrid version so mpgs were lower significantly. We did not care much about driving dynamics and so that was out.

I tried the forrester, like it somewhat, but its interior felt “cheap”, mpgs again weren’t great. I may given it more thought is AWD was critical to us.

That essentially left the two giants CRV and RaV4. The CRV checked cargo and interior boxes, but did not have a hybrid then. Thus mpgs were in the low 30s range. Driver assistance tech, based on my research, was good, but not as good as the RAV4. Styling was also a bit outdated then. Hondas in general are fun to drive but can have some more maintenance than toyotas. The oil dilution issue also perhaps was in my mind.

The RAV4 hybrid ticked almost all boxes. Mpgs close to 40, and toyota hybrid tech is time tested. We also have a prius and it is rock solid even after almost 10 years. Driver assistance tech was excellent given it was all part of the package and not extra like the luxury car brands. This is what made us choose against aLexus for example. Toyota reliability in my opinion has always been good. Driving dynamics arent always the best, but you have to decide between efficiency and driving dynamics often. The Rav4 hybrid has plenty of zip because of its dual motor. Cargo size is great and interior can be nice at the higher trim level. RAV4s had a fuel tank not filling issue between 2019-20 but they were all recalled and the tank and assembly replaced. Not our tank fills to full all the time. A quiet, smooth, efficient, reliable, modern car! A service center close by not very important in this case😀

And no I do not work for Toyota; just own two of them, having owned a Honda Odyssey before the RaV4.
dbr

Post by dbr »

rramaswa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm
1) I retired this year and therefore, I hope to buy a car that I can enjoy during retirement. Comfort is key. That means smooth driving car with good power. I like quiet cars.
This would not describe a Forrester, I think. The Outback would be smoother and quieter but not exactly tops either. Seating comfort depends on the person, but Subaru and rest of this class of cars would not usually be the obvious candidates. A Volvo of some kind might be a better suggestion.

Forrester and Outback are excellent on exterior visibility and ease of entry/exit, especially for older people.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Purely personal response: Read reviews of Forrester and eventually purchased. I do not live in a snowy area, so the presumed value of one there does not apply. I am not particularly tall, somewhat less than 6', but immediately found the knee well to be annoying. It is a noisy car compared to the CRV, and the technology, though up-to-date, requires what I consider to be extensive set-up for simple issues such as setting a clock based on time zone. Sold it in a few months. Was purchased new. Purchased due to downsizing from a 4-Runner. If going with a Subaru, I would select an Outback, though went with Toyota and am pleased.

Tim
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Check out the passport, it's a shorter pilot with a little more ground clearance. Very comfortable and that smooth 3.5 v6 that peobably won't be an option that much longer (honda will eventually kill it for the 2.0T).
HootingSloth

Post by HootingSloth »

Before our most recent car we had always driven Civics. We wanted to switch to an SUV, and I thought we would get a CRV. After test driving, we ended up with a Forester.
Global Market Portfolio + modest tilt towards volatility (80/20->60/40 as approach FI) + modest tilt away from exchange rate risk (80% global+20% U.S. stocks; currency-hedge bonds) + tax optimization
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

devopscoder wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm
Yes, I think they all have push button ignition. At least all of the cars I test drove recently. I like it and had it since I got my first Nissan Altima back in 2008.

I agree that I never would have thought about key turning being difficult for some seniors.
It's true. My mother stopped driving and gave away her car at age 75 because she could no longer turn the key.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

claypigeon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 pm I This is where the forester won for me. I wanted all wheel drive for snow and that comes standard which made the numbers work. If not needing that I think the CX-5 is a better overall package
I believe the Mazda CX-5 does offer AWD in some trim levels.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

We test drove the CRV, Mazda CX 5, RAV, Nissan Rogue, and both the Subaru Forrester and Outback. We ended up with the Forrester and have been pleased overall. Bought September 2019. The next choice would have been the Honda. We’ve owned three Mazda’s, but the CX5 interior seemed cheaper compared to the others, though the Mazda was a little peppier. Based on some comments above maybe Mazda has done an interior upgrade. We did buy and compare the higher end “Touring” versions.

When we bought initially I wondered if the Forrester would have enough power, but it’s never been an issue. I have no problems merging into highway traffic using the normal drive mode, and there is the sport mode available if I ever want a more robust response. FWIW I’m used to higher powered cars. My current is a 3.8 liter Genesis, and previous was a Turbo Audi A6.

It’s really my wife’s car, but I tend to drive it when we’re together. The safety features are great. One reason we bought was the 2019 Forrester had just upgraded their safety features, but I expect most of the other models now have comparable or perhaps even better options. Those are going to continue to evolve.

Negatives- At first I found the seats not as comfortable as I was used to (when driving for long periods). That issue seems to have improved- either I’ve gotten used to it, or the seats have softened with use. I don’t like the automatic engine shut off when pausing driving. I just don’t believe it really saves you enough gas to make it worthwhile, and if it ever malfunctions I’m sure the repair will cost more than the accumulated savings. There is a lot of technology in the vehicle. 90% of the time you just get in and drive, but I’m still learning all the time. I drove it for six months before I realized it had a heated steering wheel. I think the car works fine, but I don’t always. :?
jco

Post by jco »

We drove the Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forrester, and Toyota Rav-4 recently,

We liked the RAV-4 best. Cool, updated interior. 8-speed transmission. Lots of power.

The CR-V is extremely roomy. The CVT transmission has a different feel. I always felt like it needed to shift. Didn't like the infotainment as much as the RAV-4.

The CX-5 was okay. Comparable to the CR-V (at the least one we drove).

We didn't like the Forrester. The visibility was great. But it wasn't smooth. Very noisy.

But obviously, this is a very personal decision. You may feel differently.
Last edited by jco on Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
flowergirl

Post by flowergirl »

I faced this same dilemma earlier this year. Only owned Hondas in my life (Civic, Accord, CRV) and they have been very good to me. You take care of them and they will last. Wanted 4 wheel drive, something I could haul a bike in, something that would be good in snow, and more modern safety features. I was concerned with the decline in reliability reviews with Honda. Went with the Subaru Forester Sport and I love it! Seems to me to have enough power. Still getting up to speed on the new tech; really happy with my decision.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm My current vehicle still uses a key. Do any new cars have keys or are they all pushbutton? Another friend got a new vehicle since it was getting difficult to turn the key...who would have thought about these issues for a senior.
For the Forester I think it depends on the trim level with the higher trim levels having the start button. My Limited has the start button.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

I have a 2021 Honda CRV hybrid, happy with it, mileage between 36-39 mpg. I would value the service within walkable distance.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

rramaswa wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 pm
... The test drive of Forrester seem to be better than Honda CRV although online reviews favor HONDA CRV for its engine...
You should test drive an Outback as well as the Forrester. When I bought 4 years ago, the Outback had almost exactly the same interior volume as Forrester, but has a longer wheelbase and a much nicer ride. The Forrester has lots of busy up and down motion, the Outback smooths that out.

In 2017 the Suby had the best driver assist around. I think some others have caught up today.

The other car to look at is a Toyota Rav 4. DW got a hybrid Highlander recently (bigger than anything we are discussing) and it is very nice. The Rav 4 has most of the same features in a smaller vehicle.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Hiker-Biker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm I have a Mazda CX-5. It's a quiet, smooth riding compact SUV. Consumer Reports states it's very reliable and handles well. Like Subaru, dealers may be farther away. If hauling things is what you do, I would avoid it since it has less cargo room than the CRV or Forrester.
+1
Love this car
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

The new Toyota Venza is sweet if comfort is a priority. Comes as a hydrid only, gets 44 mpg. It’s got the RAV 4 hybrid’s power train, but wrapped in a more sleek and upscale package. The basic model LE comes with all safety features as standard.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

A-Commoner wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:44 pm The new Toyota Venza is sweet if comfort is a priority. Comes as a hydrid only, gets 44 mpg. It’s got the RAV 4 hybrid’s power train, but wrapped in a more sleek and upscale package. The basic model LE comes with all safety features as standard.
Just be aware that it costs more than the Rav-4 hybrid and has significantly less space.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

tennisplyr wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:17 pm
+1
Love this car
+2 We are also very happy with our CX-5's. Not too much haul less space then our CRV.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

I have a 2017 Forester and like the utility of it.

I haven’t driven one personally, but I’d check out the RAV4 Prime. Same form factor, but in addition the fuel efficiency it’s supposed to have amazing performance - a better quarter mile time than the Supra 2.0. I assume it’s quiet. No company knows hybrids like Toyota.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Check out the Consumer Reports review of each vehicle you are considering. The CR review will give you insight into things that don't show up during a test drive of a new car. The reviews are in the CR April issue.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

ByTheNumbers wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:34 pm I have a 2017 Forester and like the utility of it.

I haven’t driven one personally, but I’d check out the RAV4 Prime. Same form factor, but in addition the fuel efficiency it’s supposed to have amazing performance - a better quarter mile time than the Supra 2.0. I assume it’s quiet. No company knows hybrids like Toyota.
I purchased one last December. With the tax credits, it costs nearly the same as a "regular" RAV4 hybrid.

The RAV4, CRV, CX-5, and Forrester are all great options. I don't think the OP could go very wrong with any of them.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Emilyjane wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 am I have a 2021 Honda CRV hybrid, happy with it, mileage between 36-39 mpg. I would value the service within walkable distance.
My spouse found one she likes. Can you please report your OTD price and model+options? If you do not want to post it publicly here, can you send the info to me in a PM please? Thanks for any help!

(And this goes for anyone with a Honda CRV hybrid, too!)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss »

Several mentions of the Mazda's turbo engine. I believe non hybrid CRV (2021) also uses a turbo engine. I have heard claims in the past that a turbo charged engine will wear out quicker than an normally aspirated engine. Is that still true today? How reliable are turbo engines relative to a similar car with a bigger engine?
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

We’ve got a CR-V and are very pleased with it. My only complaint is the lack of wireless CarPlay and in general the infotainment system is not very intuitive.

It’s been solid as a rock since we bought it, however it’s only 2ish years old.
inspector00

Post by inspector00 »

Watty wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:35 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm My current vehicle still uses a key. Do any new cars have keys or are they all pushbutton? Another friend got a new vehicle since it was getting difficult to turn the key...who would have thought about these issues for a senior.
For the Forester I think it depends on the trim level with the higher trim levels having the start button. My Limited has the start button.
Only the base forester has a key, all the other trims have push button start.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

Personally we love the Crosstrek. It smaller than a Forester but suited us, we each have one. :sharebeer
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

bubbadog wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm The RAV4, CRV, CX-5, and Forrester are all great options. I don't think the OP could go very wrong with any of them.
Yeah. Look at them all, buy what you like best for your own personal reasons.

OP could not go wrong by picking one of these because it was the color he liked.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

pointyhairedboss wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 pm Several mentions of the Mazda's turbo engine. I believe non hybrid CRV (2021) also uses a turbo engine. I have heard claims in the past that a turbo charged engine will wear out quicker than an normally aspirated engine. Is that still true today? How reliable are turbo engines relative to a similar car with a bigger engine?
Turbo charged gasoline engines are more complex than normally aspirated gas engines. In addition the turbo runs extremely hot, (using exhaust gas to spin the turbine blades). Added engine complexity along with added heat usually means more potential areas of wear and possible failure. Modern turbo engines have come a long way in the last 20 years, they are not unreliable, and for most owners they will be just fine, but if you are the kind of owner that expects 200k plus miles on your car with no engine work, a turbocharged engine may not be the best long term choice.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

devopscoder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 pm
claypigeon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 pm
Hiker-Biker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:45 pm I have a Mazda CX-5. It's a quiet, smooth riding compact SUV.
I test drove the CRV EX-L and the CX-5 recently. I ruled out the CX-5 because to use the infotainment system, you need to use a knob and some buttons instead of touch screen. The interface is too awkward in my opinion. I also thought that the CX-5 dashboard was too angular and full or sharp angles in contrast to the smooth, nicer CRV one.

I was hoping to get the Hybrid CRV Touring edition but there are few models on the lot and the wife really wants white/ivory which is rare. I think I'm stuck getting EX-L or waiting for 2022 models to come out.
info system ruled out the cx-5? Much safer to turn a knob then to reach for touch screen. Having said that, info wouldn't be in my top 20 in deciding on a vehicle.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I had a Forester for a long time and my wife has a CX-5. I liked my Forester a lot better mainly due to the viewing angles. I also feel like the CX-5 is a bit cramped. My wife loves it though. So I’d recommend you go and drive one.

I never like the RAV-4 nor the CRV. They always felt like oversized cars. At that point you might as well just get a Camry or Accord.
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

livesoft wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:36 pm
Emilyjane wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:40 am I have a 2021 Honda CRV hybrid, happy with it, mileage between 36-39 mpg. I would value the service within walkable distance.
My spouse found one she likes. Can you please report your OTD price and model+options? If you do not want to post it publicly here, can you send the info to me in a PM please? Thanks for any help!

(And this goes for anyone with a Honda CRV hybrid, too!)
Sure. I’m not a great negotiator, so probably not the best deal...
CRV Hybrid EX-L, $33,601 which includes $553 of dealer installed options that I didn’t really want, but, bad negotiator. Also 0% financing. I could have paid for it right away, but didn’t turn that down.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius