High-back executive/computer chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OCDinvestor

High-back executive/computer chair

Post by OCDinvestor »

Everyone seems to rave about the Herman Miller and other high-end chairs, but I'm curious since they don't seem to have much padding or cushion. I'm 6'1" tall and have a 12 year old executive-style chair from Staples.

I'm basically looking for a comfortable chair, with tall-back/head rest, arm rests, can go up/down and can lock in various degrees of "leaned back" position. I haven't a clue what the formal names are for these options, I'm a real simpleton. With that said, I don't want to skimp on a cheap chair. Money is not that big of a concern.

Tires, mattresses, shoes, work chairs... you spend nearly your whole life on one of them, don't like skimping on these items!

Any advice?
Afty

Re: High-back executive/computer chair

Post by Afty »

When the pandemic started, I bought the same chair I had at work for home (a Steelcase Leap in my case). A Boglehead tip: used office furniture stores have lots of high quality office chairs at 1/3 the cost of buying new, and you can try them out before buying.
Bogle7

Aeron

Post by Bogle7 »

The Herman Miller Aeron chair is designed to not need seat padding.
The mesh supports and flexes.
I am on my 2nd Aeron chair since 1995. I wore the first one out by sitting in it for 8 hours per day for 15 years.
I will never consider another chair.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

I purchased a gaming chair for my granddaughter, and admittedly it is comfortable. It doesn't "rock", though, which my existing chair does a little bit. Still, it may be an option for you to consider. Mainstay Forma GT has the highest back that I have found (limited searching on my end).
squirm

Post by squirm »

Comfortable is very subjective. I consider my office chair comfortable but many others would consider is garbage.
You should just go to the stores and try them out.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

I purchased three of these.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... -And-Tall/

Very comfortable.

It’s not nearly as expensive as the X-Chair and other high end models. It will last forever as a home office chair with regular use. It has lumbar support.

For a full-time work chair, I would invest in an adjustable ergonomic chair that provides full back and neck support. I have a Bodybilt chair. A few years ago, I had a pain in my leg and put in an accommodation request for an ergonomic chair. This is the one chair that they offered, although I got to select the options. Our cost was not as high as this one, more like $1,000.

https://www.247ergo.com/product/bodybil ... gLsUPD_BwE
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

When I started working full time at home I ordered the same chair from the office. Steelcase Leap v2, it’s been great for 8+ hour work days. Highly adjustable.

There are a lot of online dealers selling refurb chairs. There are two who are the lowest price online, but I found a lot of mixed reviews. I ended up ordering from Crandall Office Furniture. Slightly more than the two lowest price options for a refurb leap v2, but all the reviews were great. No problems, chair looks new. Super happy.
shess

Post by shess »

Seeing the Steelcase Leap refs, I'll jump. Last fall, I noticed that I was getting some obvious nerve pain in my leg, and after paying some attention, I decided it was probably from my 20-year-old second-cheapest-chair-at-office-depot chair. I researched and got a Steelcase Gesture. It's very similar to the Leap, I don't recall why I went with the Gesture (maybe there was a deal on, since my order was ~$200 less than the current listing). I like it, and my leg pain cleared up over the course of a couple weeks.

My main complaint is that sometimes it kind of forces me into an "alert" position. Like the most comfortable position is upright, leaning a little bit forward of where I'd prefer, not much pressure on the backrest, etc. Maybe that's good ergonomics? My suspicion is that if I simply got up and did something else any time I want to slump into the backrest, my life would be improved, but I'm not entirely sure I want my chair forcing that on me :-).
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

Another Leap V2 fan. I have one for my home office and we have them at the office. I'm 6' 1" 220, and I think they provide great ergo support for sitting extended periods of time, which I do while working. Mine is the standard non-executive style, no-head rest. it has lots of adjustments; height, seat pan depth, arms, lumbar, and can tilt or lock upright. You can adjust the tension on the tilt, and the amount of 'recline'.

They have them on Amazon through a 3rd party, for around $1k depending on your fabric choice, and it looks like they have the executive style/head rest for about 1170.
buxton.bogle

Post by buxton.bogle »

I bought a Steelcase Leap V2 in November directly from Steelcase. Comes with a 12 year warranty. i suspect I will never need another office chair until I retire. I was using an old, inexpensive chair that did not provide much support. The Steelcase was a noticeable improvement. It is the only chair I have sat in during the last 4 months that does not make me feel like I sat in a chair when I get up and move. Money well spent.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Steelcase all the way. I had a Herman Miller at my office after reading about how amazing they were supposed to be, but I hated it. I got rid of it and got a Steelcase Leap and am very, very happy.

It also really depends on what you do all day. The high-back executive chairs are made to look nice and feel good when you're sitting back, but they aren't really made for sitting up and doing computer work, at least comfortably and ergonomically. If you do a decent amount of that during the day, it would be worth getting a purpose built task chair without the high back.
tooluser

Re: Aeron

Post by tooluser »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:18 pm The Herman Miller Aeron chair is designed to not need seat padding.
The mesh supports and flexes.
I am on my 2nd Aeron chair since 1995. I wore the first one out by sitting in it for 8 hours per day for 15 years.
I will never consider another chair.
I've been looking at these. 12-year warranty. They come to you to fix it.
Three times the price of others, but most others have only a 1-2 year warranty.
Made in the USA.
(Also might not go tall enough for me, but I am a special case. The Steelcase Leap is definfitely too short.)
Last edited by tooluser on Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Another plus for the Steelcase Leaps V2 chair in leather. I bought it from a company closing for less than 1/2 price.
Years later it still is great (although a small rip in the leather was patched by me.

VERY adjustable and comfortable. It took a few days to get all the right settings, but it was well worth it.
tooluser

Re: Aeron

Post by tooluser »

Deleted: Duplicate post.
Last edited by tooluser on Fri May 14, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PNWChris

Post by PNWChris »

I'm 6' 2" and have been working from home for a couple years now. When I switched to remote work, my spouse and I got a couple of the Ergo Chair 2 by Autonomous. We both like the chairs a lot, though assembly is a bit of a pain.

The chair is way more comfortable and ergonomic than those gaming chairs that seem to be everywhere lately. For only $500, the Ergo Chair is a nice deal. Don't get me wrong, though, an Aeron can't be beat if you're considering one.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

I have NOT had good experiences with the mesh Herman Millers. Our offices are loaded with them and regardless of the placement of the settings, I can never get a firm position where I don't find my legs sliding forward off the chair (despite feet being on the floor).

If you want to be more avant-garde, you can try Vitra. They were good enough for Apple to make it the exclusive chair of their headquarters in Cupertino.
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

In true Boglehead fashion, for my WFH setup, I use a no-name office chair I bought at Costco, for less than $200. It is just fine. I also have an Arozzi Vernazza gaming chair for my bedroom, even though I'm not a gamer. A bit more expensive but also fine. Either one of these would meet your requirements.

IMHO those expensive chairs with all kind of adjustments are an overkill: the adjustments are meant to justify the price tag. When a chair is right for you, it should feel comfortable from the moment you first try it. The simple controls you mention should be enough.
gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Herman Miller Embody. I've sat in Aerons at work and they are fine, but didn't find them very comfortable for long periods of time. The "gaming" Logitech Embody I believe has more cushioning than the standard Embody.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

i bought a: https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/cha ... ice-chair/

and a sit stand desk. very happy with both.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
garfield_dilbert

Post by garfield_dilbert »

I'd recommend Steelcase Leap V2. It is comfortable and has lots of controls. You can find a used one on craigslist or a place that sells used office furniture for 200 - 250. If you end up not liking it, you can sell it for the same price.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:35 pm i bought a: https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/cha ... ice-chair/

and a sit stand desk. very happy with both.
That's the chair I bought (refurb leap v2). It was on sale or I found a coupon, I paid 485.

Super happy with it and Crandall.
sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 »

The best office chair I have ever sat in and owned is the Herman Miller Aeron chair. I had one at my last job and loved it. Since my wife and I have been working from home we bought 2 Aeron chairs for the house. I can sit in it all day and have zero back pain.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I went bang for the buck and after realizing how much time I spend sitting in the chair and looking at the chair I wish that I had either bought an Aeron or gone all in on this one. Good enough for JFK, probably good enough for me:

https://www.gunlocke.com/products/washi ... s-default1
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

FYI Crandall is running a coupon (MEMORIAL) that gets the base refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 down to $485 shipped.
Bosserman

Post by Bosserman »

For anyone considering buying a Steelcase Leap (which I highly recommend, along with the many earlier posts in this thread), the "V2" everyone is specifying is important, particularly if you are buying from a used furniture outlet that may or may not differentiate between the original leap and the updated product.

The main difference is the armrests, as the 4 axis movement is only present on the V2 (as well as a few other models, I believe the Think and Amia have the updated armrests). The other differences are less important. Just something to double check before buying a used chair.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

OCDinvestor wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:07 pm Everyone seems to rave about the Herman Miller and other high-end chairs, but I'm curious since they don't seem to have much padding or cushion. I'm 6'1" tall and have a 12 year old executive-style chair from Staples.

I'm basically looking for a comfortable chair, with tall-back/head rest, arm rests, can go up/down and can lock in various degrees of "leaned back" position. I haven't a clue what the formal names are for these options, I'm a real simpleton. With that said, I don't want to skimp on a cheap chair. Money is not that big of a concern.

Tires, mattresses, shoes, work chairs... you spend nearly your whole life on one of them, don't like skimping on these items!

Any advice?
Through Amazon, I bought my wife and my father the "Amazon Commercial Ergonomic High-Back Rhombus-Stitched Leather Executive Chair" . They love it, really a great value, good back support.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Ramjet wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:01 am Through Amazon, I bought my wife and my father the "Amazon Commercial Ergonomic High-Back Rhombus-Stitched Leather Executive Chair" . They love it, really a great value, good back support.
Help for others who are interested:

I cut and pasted the chair name from this post (without the quotes), and in typical Amazon fashion they returned links to many other chairs instead. Nowhere to be found.

However, if I cut it down to "High-Back Rhombus-Stitched Leather Executive Chair" (without the quotes) it was the 5th chair listed. Oh Amazon, you're always so helpful! :|
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

tooluser wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:04 pm
Ramjet wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:01 am Through Amazon, I bought my wife and my father the "Amazon Commercial Ergonomic High-Back Rhombus-Stitched Leather Executive Chair" . They love it, really a great value, good back support.
Help for others who are interested:

I cut and pasted the chair name from this post (without the quotes), and in typical Amazon fashion they returned links to many other chairs instead. Nowhere to be found.

However, if I cut it down to "High-Back Rhombus-Stitched Leather Executive Chair" (without the quotes) it was the 5th chair listed. Oh Amazon, you're always so helpful! :|
I found the link in my previous orders

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V5 ... UTF8&psc=1
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Chairs are like shoes. You have to find one that works for you. I don’t know why anyone would have an Aeron chair, for example, because that bar across the seat cuts off the circulation in my legs. But a lot of people like them.

I have a Herman Miller Celle. It’s a nice chair that works for a lot of people. It doesn’t have a mesh seat, so no bar to cut off circulation.

To get the full adjustability and something sturdy enough for all day, every day use, you will probably have to spend Aeron-type dollars, though. Or else get lucky and find a broken one sitting next to an office building dumpster, then repair it with parts from a $20 chair from a thrift store, like I did.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy new from Steelcase - I just found an Amex Offer on my gold charge for $150 back on a $750 spend at Steelcase.com.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

For all folks looking into Aerons - be careful which model you pick. Yes, there are different models.

The 'cheaper' Aeron models do NOT have adjustable armrests. Ok, you can adjust them, but you need tools. It's not the typical push-button and adjust that you find on most modern high-end office chairs.

So be careful which one you get, especially if the model you find is 'on-sale'. I'm still ok with my no-adjust Aeron B, but if I had to do it again, I would have paid more for the adjustable armrests. I ended up just removing the armrests altogether on mine.