Summer Couples Vacation Spots

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Summer Couples Vacation Spots

Post by davebo »

We are going to leave the kids behind and go away someplace for an anniversary trip. Tossed around a few ideas, but now are back at Square 1. Here are some things we are looking at:

-Someplace East of the Mississippi would be ideal because my wife doesn't want to do a longer flight and it's a short trip.
-Ideal if near a beach, but want plenty of things to do away from the beach.
-Good restaurants, wineries would be nice.

Our go to spot is California for a trip like this, but we are not going to go that route this year due to the distance. Started looking in NC/SC, but wondering if it will be too hot to do anything away from the beach/pool.
PumpkinBoard

Re: Summer Couples Vacation Spots

Post by PumpkinBoard »

I would check out the north fork of Long Island. It has everything you’re looking for.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Bahamas
Bermuda
Montreal
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Key West or a combo trip upper/lower keys. (Unless beach is super important, then disregard or include a 1-2 day stayover in Miami or Ft Laud - their beaches are way better.)

Keys have some nice beaches, but they're really known for reef snorkeling, fun sunset cruises, interesting history, beautiful views, fishing, kayaking, SUP, great eats, clubs/good live music scene. Some direct flights from NE. Not a cheap destination ordinarily...but now particularly, prices are quite high...but a great little destination nonetheless.
London

Post by London »

PumpkinBoard wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:52 am I would check out the north fork of Long Island. It has everything you’re looking for.
I agree with this idea.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm Bahamas
Bermuda
Montreal
Does Canada open its border yet? I've been waiting to visit Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria, etc.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... tions.html
Time is the ultimate currency.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

livesoft wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:20 pm Bahamas
Bermuda
Montreal
Bermuda was an absolute favorite. Montreal is ace, in a French romantic way.
All are not easy to get to though.
How about Florida pan handle? I thought Clearwater was awesome
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Charlottesville, VA
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

We did a trip to the Outer Banks a few years back. Stayed near Kitty Hawk. It's mostly beach stuff, but there are other things to do. We took surfing lessons. Went parasailing. Did some night paddle boarding. Took hang gliding lessons on the beach and then did a tandem tow up to 2,000 feet and glided over the area. Probably not everyone's idea of a romantic getaway, but we loved it.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

davebo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am We are going to leave the kids behind and go away someplace for an anniversary trip. Tossed around a few ideas, but now are back at Square 1. Here are some things we are looking at:

-Someplace East of the Mississippi would be ideal because my wife doesn't want to do a longer flight and it's a short trip.

Our go to spot is California for a trip like this, but we are not going to go that route this year due to the distance. Started looking in NC/SC, but wondering if it will be too hot to do anything away from the beach/pool.
I'd do Key West...phenomenal weather, great location, tons of great restaurants.
QBoy

Post by QBoy »

Key West and other southern destinations are too hot in the summer. How about Nantucket?
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

davebo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:49 am We are going to leave the kids behind and go away someplace for an anniversary trip. Tossed around a few ideas, but now are back at Square 1. Here are some things we are looking at:

France, Spain, Italy check all boxes, but after the restrictions are eased.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Hilton Head

So much to do there, has great beaches, and close enough for day trip to Savanah and maybe Charleston if you want to mix it up a little.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Watch Hill or Newport, RI.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

How about portland maine?

We are planning to go to kennebunkport and portland this year.

Usually we go to europe twice a year but cant this time.

Our plan is to travel to maine sometime in august september. Cant go wrong there with the milder temps.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Edgartown, MA (on Martha’s Vineyard)

Check out the Charlotte Inn.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Not E of MSR, but CO mountains & hot springs hard to beat.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Picasso wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 pm Edgartown, MA (on Martha’s Vineyard)

We've stayed there.
I had heard about the Charlotte Inn for ages, and was not disappointed when we finally had a chance to stay there.

It was charming, and the restaurant area is very special indeed, beyond the food, which was also great.

If that type of location would work, you should at least consider it.
But there are no resort type things to do. It's not on a beach, and doesn't have a pool.
It all depends upon what type of vacation you want.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I'm a fan of Franklin County, Florida if you want to be at the beach and get away from the world. It's a sparsely populated area. A couple of nice towns (Apalachicola and Carrabelle). The beaches are nice but not the nicest. What is nice is that there aren't many people there. Places like St. George Island and Alligator Point you can find a house to yourself for under $200/night. Not sure what is still available but we have a cabin on the lake with a private beach and pool we're going to in a few weeks for $150/night. Also lots of bay areas and several beautiful state parks in the area that are good for kayaking and such, as well as fishing opportunities.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

Jamaica. All Inclusive. East of the Mississippi.

Great time.
treadingwater

Post by treadingwater »

Door County Wisconsin. Great weather in the summer, clean, scenic, many things to do. Boat excursions, biking Peninsula State Park, wine tours, ghost tours, hiking, cute small towns on the water with excellent restaurants, ice cream shops, and fun local shops. Theatre under the Stars, in the park in the evening.
Never panic. Stop looking so much.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Stay around or in historic Charleston. Hit the beaches during the day (there are a bunch within 45 minutes) and have dinner and explore Charleston at night when the sun is not directly overhead. Plenty of excellent restaurants to choose from. Go visit Beaufort for a side excursion, a little over an hour away. Savannah is about 2 hours away, so would need an earlier start to the day. If the weather is not beach friendly for any day, there are plenty of things to do in Charleston.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Asheville NC checks all the boxes except the beach. Wilmington NC (Wrightsville Beach or Topsail Beach just north of ILM) check all the boxes except the wineries. You could do both but drive between them is almost 6 hrs via I40.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
QBoy

Post by QBoy »

Picasso wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 pm Edgartown, MA (on Martha’s Vineyard)

+1 The Charlotte Inn is lovely.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Something like a Sandals type resort in the Caribbean? Maybe not enough outside of the beach activities?

I'd try to avoid any vacation where I had to rely on a rental car. Not only are they expensive (I've seen $200/day on some recent searches), but availability on the reservations has been very limited and even a reservation doesn't guarantee one. Better to fly in, take a taxi/shuttle (do they have Uber/Lyft outside the US?) and be able to stay physically at the resort.