Hiking solo in the [Smoky] Mountains

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Hiking solo in the [Smoky] Mountains

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Taking a trip to the Smokies this summer and i'm going to be solo. I plan to do some hiking on some of the popular trails. Just wondering if it's safe to do that since i've heard there is a large population of Black Bears in that area. Given that it is summer it would be prime time for bear activity as well. On the other hand the Smokies are the most visited park in the US and i'm expecting the trails to be very busy, so can I assume bear encounters wouldn't be too much of a concern? Should I carry bear spray?
MAKsdad

Re: Hiking solo in the Smoking Mountains

Post by MAKsdad »

Your personal comfort level is going to play a lot into the answer here. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate (and don't hesitate) to hike and backpack solo in black bear country (Blue Ridge Mtns. in Virginia mainly). I don't carry bear spray for black bears. Every bear I've seen has run away as soon as it saw me or caught wind of me. But you should do some reading about it on your own and get comfortable.

If you're backpacking, be sure to properly manage your food (don't cook near your camp, hang your food, etc.). My "fears" about black bears are mainly about them coming into my camp while I sleep because I've left food in or near my tent. I'm not worried about them while I"m hiking.

I'm much more scared of ticks than Black bears.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Human vs bear encounters in the Smokies and surrounding mountains are pretty rare. Nevertheless, my wife and I both carry bear spray based on it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

IMO while solo hiking on popular trails you are more likely to be attacked by a two legged predator than a bear, but still the odds of that are pretty low.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

While hiking, I have encountered black bears (once with cubs) several times. So far, they have always run away from me very quickly. But be prepared...make noise while hiking, carry bear spray, a first aid kit, and other emergency supplies in case you need to unexpectedly spend the night in the woods. And when hiking solo, always let someone know where you are hiking and when you are expected back.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

If you do carry bear spray, you should practice with it first and make sure you carry it in a place that's accessible. It's more or less useless if you can't grab it, open it and shoot it in the blink of an eye.
Mangas Coloradas

Post by Mangas Coloradas »

The 750,000 black bears in North American kill one person per year on average. I live near National Forest land and have them wander by my house every once in a while especially when they are hungry and looking for food (I have a bear proof garbage bin now). I would carry the bear spray but you will almost certainly find it of more use against aggressive dogs or possibly a human than a black bear.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

There are lots of resources out there to make yourself better prepared. I’m certainly not an expert, but I’ve spent some solo time in Alaska. Unless you just get really unlucky, it basically boils down to don’t do anything stupid. Don’t approach a bear, don’t sleep with food in a tent, etc.
Whalers

Post by Whalers »

I also wouldn't discount the possibility of a bear encounter. While hiking there 3 years ago, I came across a mother bear and two cubs. Even worse, the cubs were on one side of the trail, the mother on the other. Fortunately, I saw them before I got directly between them, but I had to stop a few hikers who were about to walk obliviously between mother/cubs. It took about 10 minutes for the situation to resolve itself.

I wouldn't let that stop me, but as shunkman says, be prepared.
shunkman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:56 am While hiking, I have encountered black bears (once with cubs) several times. So far, they have always run away from me very quickly. But be prepared...make noise while hiking, carry bear spray, a first aid kit, and other emergency supplies in case you need to unexpectedly spend the night in the woods. And when hiking solo, always let someone know where you are hiking and when you are expected back.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I backpack solo in many places with black bears and usually see a bear or two. Most have ignored me, but some have run away. I have not backpacked in the Smokies, but I would have no problems backpacking solo there. While there are better places to ask this question and learn about best practices when encountering bears, I would say go ahead and enjoy yourself. Then when you come back, post a photo of the bear(s) you came across.

I have only carried bear spray in grizzly country and so far have not backpacked solo in grizzly areas, but I will do so in the future.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

I’ve hiked hundreds of miles in the Smokies and rarely see bears except near the front country campgrounds where clueless car campers leave coolers full of burgers and hot dogs sitting around. I have seen a fair number of boars—I’m more concerned about them than the bears. The park service does an excellent job of closing off trails and shelters where there’s been bear activity.

If you backcountry camp, make sure to use the bear cables to hang your food, and be prepared to possibly lose some food to the persistent mice in the more popular campsites.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

MAKsdad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:59 am If you do carry bear spray, you should practice with it first and make sure you carry it in a place that's accessible. It's more or less useless if you can't grab it, open it and shoot it in the blink of an eye.
And make sure not to shoot it into the wind where it’d go into your eyes! :oops:
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

I would worry far less about black bears and more about other people. Statistically I would guess that you’re in more danger from a fall, getting lost, or a fellow hiker than from a bear.
augustwest73

Post by augustwest73 »

I always follow this advice when hiking.... :happy

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper
spray.
alex345

Post by alex345 »

I've done about 16 thousand miles of mountain biking in the last 7 years in black bear country in CA and I've seen 5 bears. They don't want anything to do with humans, and usually just saunter away from you. I was within 10' of two of them once. Objectively rattlesnakes are a far larger danger and I see a dozen or so of them every year. Ticks are an even larger danger.
hudson

Post by hudson »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:33 am Taking a trip to the Smokies this summer and i'm going to be solo. I plan to do some hiking on some of the popular trails. Just wondering if it's safe to do that since i've heard there is a large population of Black Bears in that area. Given that it is summer it would be prime time for bear activity as well. On the other hand the Smokies are the most visited park in the US and i'm expecting the trails to be very busy, so can I assume bear encounters wouldn't be too much of a concern? Should I carry bear spray?
Staying overnight? You'll need a reservation for shelters/campsites. Consider a bear canister for food storage. I know that you'll research your routes ahead of time; there will be information about areas with bear problems. https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/ ... dclose.htm

Trail Map: https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/ ... LY19-4.pdf

In nearby Asheville, the bears are thick as thieves! Bears and people generally get along OK as long as you don't get between them and a trash can.
Bear Spray? Since you asked, yes. I've never carried any; I've probably spent 30 nights in the park's backcountry. Read about black bear precautions.

Backcountry Reservations: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cf ... itTypeID=1
Last edited by hudson on Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I've only hiked in the Smokies once so am not an expert.
I did see bears when I hiked there, but I was with a loud group, which alerted the bears to our presence.

Despite being the most visited park, a park ranger told us that the average duration of a visit to the Smokies is 30 minutes. Most visitors do not hike, they just stop for a photo shoot and then leave. So don't count on there necessarily being a lot of other hikers.

Have fun, be smart and stay safe.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

augustwest73 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:20 am Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper
spray.
Hahahaha.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
bac

Post by bac »

I've run into black bears about 20 times while hiking, and the worst that happened is that my heart raced on a couple of occasions. If you leave them alone (and otherwise don't do anything stupid), they'll leave you alone. Grizzlies are another matter.

Really, I'm more afraid of ticks than bears because a tick may have been responsible for my hospitalization in 2012 (tests were inconclusive).
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

bac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm I've run into black bears about 20 times while hiking, and the worst that happened is that my heart raced on a couple of occasions. If you leave them alone (and otherwise don't do anything stupid), they'll leave you alone. Grizzlies are another matter.

Really, I'm more afraid of ticks than bears because a tick may have been responsible for my hospitalization in 2012 (tests were inconclusive).
Yeah, lyme disease is no joke and ticks are a lot less scared of humans than black bears are.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:33 am Taking a trip to the Smokies this summer and i'm going to be solo. I plan to do some hiking on some of the popular trails. Just wondering if it's safe to do that since i've heard there is a large population of Black Bears in that area. Given that it is summer it would be prime time for bear activity as well. On the other hand the Smokies are the most visited park in the US and i'm expecting the trails to be very busy, so can I assume bear encounters wouldn't be too much of a concern? Should I carry bear spray?
I ran into a black bear last October in Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville. I love the encounter. He's just about 3 ft tall and mind his business. He moved slowly away from our trail.
Time is the ultimate currency.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Where are the "Smoking Mountains"? lol
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

mptfan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm Where are the "Smoking Mountains"? lol
Volcanoes National Park perhaps?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm ... and the worst that happened is that my heart raced on a couple of occasions.
Never had my heart race with seeing a bear in the wild. However, when sharks approached me while I was snorkeling that was another matter.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

don't jinx it by not buying bear spray now that you've asked about it.
It's cheap insurance. It's not that heavy. You never know if momma bear feels you're threatening to her cubs and decides to be aggressive
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Black bears aren't al that dangerous, and if you're just day hiking on popular trails you're pretty unlikely to see one. Carry bear spray if it will make you feel better, but I've never bothered on the east coast. Black bears act basically like big cats - I've seen then trip over themselves and run into things trying to run away from people when they start banging pans. Bigger risk hiking solo is your experience level. Hiking ain't rocket science, but if you're coming in absolutely cold you'll want to be a little cautious.
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

Like what others have said, make noise while you hike and use the cables at the camps to hoist your food and trash and anything else scented (deodorant, toothpaste, etc) - to be sure I just put the cover on my pack and hoist the whole thing up overnight.

If you encounter one get big and make noise. I came across a big one in the park once and did just that and it wandered on off. Shouldn't even need to get close enough to use bear spray. I'd almost be more concerned about pissing one off by using that.

and please pack your trash out with you...
diy60

Post by diy60 »

My limited experience with black bears is they are fairly timid. My most recent hiking on the AT resulted in a bad experience with deer ticks.

If you get bear spray, take a couple of practice shots.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Statistically speaking you are unlikely to have a black bear incident of concern. But should you take precautions? I would advise you have a bell that makes noise. Personally, I'd bring spray to be safe. But most importantly, I'd bring my Garmin or other similar device to summons for help. Something like a bad ankle sprain, snake bike or other problem can make for a problem. If you see a bear, just ask her if she has cubs nearby.

Regarding Black Bears:
From petpedia:

- There were only 2 fatal black bear attacks on people on the Appalachian Trail from 2000–2016.
(Appalachian Trail Histories)

The American black bear is one of the most dangerous animals in the world.

But, Appalachian Trail bear attacks statistics reveal that even though this enormous animal spreads fear among people, bear-human incidents, especially those that end fatally, are infrequent.

- There were 23 fatal black bear attacks in the US between 2000–2016.
(Appalachian Trail Histories)

It means that there’s roughly more than one deadly attack per year. Almost all of these attacks happened on mountain trails.

According to black bear attack statistics, the deceased were usually found near bears with cubs. This means that the animals were trying to defend their young.

==
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I'll also add the caution to be careful around waterfalls. We have several people a year get injured or killed because they decided to do something stupid around a waterfall. The rocks are slick and the water is fast and powerful.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I do not carry any bear spray when hiking in the mountains in the east. Even if accompanied by someone, I do text the coordinates of my entry to the trail to someone close to me (usually sibling) so that they know when and where I entered. Then I confirm my return with a text so they know I'm not lost out there.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

tm3 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 pm I'll also add the caution to be careful around waterfalls. We have several people a year get injured or killed because they decided to do something stupid around a waterfall. The rocks are slick and the water is fast and powerful.
Yes, it seems that waterfalls kill and injure more people than bears. Bring your waterfall spray.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

While we're on the topic of bears: anyone interested is recommended to check out the excellent book "Bear Attacks: Their causes and avoidance" by Steven Herero (something like that, from memory), a long-time bear biologist. Pretty interesting stuff if you spend a lot of time in bear country.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

jebmke wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 pm I do not carry any bear spray when hiking in the mountains in the east. Even if accompanied by someone, I do text the coordinates of my entry to the trail to someone close to me (usually sibling) so that they know when and where I entered. Then I confirm my return with a text so they know I'm not lost out there.
That's a good idea. You may also want to email/share your itinerary ahead of time. I don't have cell signal in some places that I hike in Smoky mountains and blue ridge. For most people, it's always a good idea to stick to the trails. Plan out your hike (distance, time, rest, water, food, camping, etc.) and stick to the schedule.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

I live in the Smokies (May-Nov) at 4000 ft with no neighbors within several miles. Hike most everyday and have come across black bears with and without cubs no problems they are usually on the move away from you. I understand Asheville and it suburbs have more human/bear encounters that are less pleasant. Advice get away from the towns and stick to the wilderness and you should be more than fine. Cell service in the Smokies is very spotty. Hiking is outstanding right now cool temperatures and the leaves are just leafing out above 4000 ft with wildflowers everywhere.
Mr.RegPark

Post by Mr.RegPark »

My only serious backcountry bear encounter was 45 years ago in Yosemite. My college roommate and I were about 10 miles in on a multi day trip and found what we thought was the perfect campsite- even had pre- cut firewood. We suspended packs, supplies and begin to cook. About that time 2 bears walked right in to our site just like an invitation to a dinner party. I don’t think either of us had ever heard of bear spray, but what we did have were wrist rocket sling shots, rocks, and a lot of stupidity. The 2 bears ran for the hills after flank shots, and we got back to cooking. About that time 3 different bears entered the campsite - same result. We survived( shouldn’t have), but kept our slingshots at hand for the next three days - shooting rocks at anything that moved.
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

I've encountered black bears a number of times while camping/backpacking but have never had an issue. I've walked up on them in Alaska even though making proactive noises to scare them away, and I've had a small one stand over me as I've slept out on a tarp. That one ran off when my buddy woke up and saw him. They're only interested in food.

I ran across this video a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkwy0sc ... SusanKehoe that shed some light on their behavior for me. I think it is a good one to review to see what a bluff charge is.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

bac wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm I've run into black bears about 20 times while hiking, and the worst that happened is that my heart raced on a couple of occasions. If you leave them alone (and otherwise don't do anything stupid), they'll leave you alone. Grizzlies are another matter.

Um....So if I’m a hiker I should know how to differentiate between black bears and grizzlies????? Like can’t all bears just have one set of characteristics that I don’t have to study before heading out into mother nature?
ScoobyDoo!
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

SmallSaver wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm Black bears aren't al that dangerous, and if you're just day hiking on popular trails...
FAMOUS LAST WORDS, I’m sure!!! LOL
ScoobyDoo!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:35 pm
SmallSaver wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm Black bears aren't al that dangerous, and if you're just day hiking on popular trails...
FAMOUS LAST WORDS, I’m sure!!! LOL
Only for the slowest person in your party.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

SmallSaver wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:24 pm While we're on the topic of bears: anyone interested is recommended to check out the excellent book "Bear Attacks: Their causes and avoidance" by Steven Herero (something like that, from memory), a long-time bear biologist. Pretty interesting stuff if you spend a lot of time in bear country.
I watched that documentary about the bear guy that got himself and his girlfriend killed thinking he and the bears in the area had a special connection!!!!! That’s enough for me to understand bears are an animal and humans cannot make friends with them!!!!!

Edited to add link to documentary: Titled Grizzly Man https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man
Last edited by ScoobyDoo on Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScoobyDoo!
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:44 pm
SmallSaver wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:24 pm While we're on the topic of bears: anyone interested is recommended to check out the excellent book "Bear Attacks: Their causes and avoidance" by Steven Herero (something like that, from memory), a long-time bear biologist. Pretty interesting stuff if you spend a lot of time in bear country.
I watched that documentary about the bear guy that got himself and his girlfriend killed thinking he and the bears in the area had a special connection!!!!! That’s enough for me to understand bears are an animal and humans cannot make friends with them!!!!!
Do people think that they can make friends with wildlife? You are in their environment. Respect their space and keep your distance. You're not out there hunting them, and they are not out there hunting you.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

H-Town wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:49 pm Do people think that they can make friends with wildlife? You are in their environment. Respect their space and keep your distance. You're not out there hunting them, and they are not out there hunting you.
In general, that's true. But I still wore snake-proof boots in northern Florida (rattlesnakes) and carried a two-iron when wandering into deep rough on the golf course (also in Florida); a two-iron has no other use than snake management :P .
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

ScoobyDoo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Um....So if I’m a hiker I should know how to differentiate between black bears and grizzlies????? Like can’t all bears just have one set of characteristics that I don’t have to study before heading out into mother nature?
There are no grizzlies in the East. Being strictly an east coast guy, I don't know where their territory starts, but I think Lewis & Clark were well to the west of St Louis before they were introduced to grizzlies. Grizzlies are bigger, and have a hump at the front shoulder. I've heard that their temperament is significantly different, and must be taken into account.
Nothing to say, really.
Topic Author
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Thanks for all the info, I feel more confident doing the hikes now. I'll decide if I want to take the spray. Another Q - how is the parking situation at the trailheads? Not great I am assuming?
lol, typos!! :D
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:08 pm Thanks for all the info, I feel more confident doing the hikes now. I'll decide if I want to take the spray. Another Q - how is the parking situation at the trailheads? Not great I am assuming?
lol, typos!! :D
Parking situation is nowhere like in Zion. You can find many trailheads that are not crowded along the blue ridge. I usually pick weekdays to hike as it's less crowded.
bluegill

Re: Hiking solo in the [Smoky] Mountains

Post by bluegill »

I have hiked from Amicalola Falls, GA to Demascus, Virginia, and thru the Smoky Mtn Natl Park, on the Appalachian Trail (AT) (500+ miles). I have never seen a bear while hiking. I am sure they have seen me. I don't worry about bears. I have never carried a weapon or pepper spray. The coldest I have ever been while hiking was in the Smoky Mtn Natl Park. After one cold night, I bought gear for colder weather. I much prefer hiking solo. I like hiking on my schedule, not someone else's schedule. Use the WhiteBlaze.org website for info about the AT. When you hike in the Smoky Mtn Natl Park, you are supposed to provide an itinary to the Park Rangers.
MadDwag

Post by MadDwag »

bluegill wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 pm I have hiked from Amicalola Falls, GA to Demascus, Virginia, and thru the Smoky Mtn Natl Park, on the Appalachian Trail (AT) (500+ miles). I have never seen a bear while hiking. I am sure they have seen me. I don't worry about bears. I have never carried a weapon or pepper spray. The coldest I have ever been while hiking was in the Smoky Mtn Natl Park. After one cold night, I bought gear for colder weather. I much prefer hiking solo. I like hiking on my schedule, not someone else's schedule. Use the WhiteBlaze.org website for info about the AT.
That reminds me…if you get wet from crossing a stream or from rain, then forget about drying out until you’re back in your car halfway home. Everything is humid and wet. The mountains aren’t Smoky for nothing!

As far as parking, you’ll likely have issues with the most popular trails, especially on weekends and in summer. There’s portions of the park, however, like Cosby or Deep Creek, that are far less crowded than the main drag of 441.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

A few years back I spent a week doing the 70 mile stretch of the Appalachian Trail through the Great Smoky Mtns Natl Park by myself. Outstanding trip and never had any concerns.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Only black bears I have seen in the Smokies were located in the Cades Cove area, on many occasions. On hikes, more concerned about snakes, ticks and solid footing on rocks to avoid falls. OP, are these popular trails you are hiking just day hikes or do you plan to overnight camp?

Lots of good trails, my family enjoys the Alum Cave hike.

However, on a few trails, watch out for llama poop :wink:

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

You can appropriately calibrate your fears by first hiking solo in Alaska bear country.

I remember hiking solo in Glacier National Park (Montana). I came across across a couple of bear scats on the trail. They had little red berries in them and looked pretty fresh. But they didn't have any hikers' bear bells in them. "I guess I'll be alright."

Don't bring food into the tent.