Moving-YouTube Tv vs. Directv

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
psteveo

Moving-YouTube Tv vs. Directv

Post by psteveo »

We will be moving to a new house and currently have Directv. We are considering switching to YouTube TV to avoid having the dish on our roof and wires throughout the new house. Any thoughts on YouTube TV? How is it for watching live sports? Any buffering issues?
SonnyDMB

Re: Moving-YouTube Tv vs. Directv

Post by SonnyDMB »

I cut Directv to YouTube tv last summer. Only wished I would have done it sooner. Love the unlimited dvr....record anything and everything I might watch.

I’ve had no buffering for sports. Streaming does lag about 25-35 seconds. During big games, I don’t check phone at key moments as texts from friends may be spoilers.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

We made this switch 2 years ago. I was worried my technically challenged spouse may not be able to make the switch, so we had both for a while. We picked the Roku interface over the FireStick or Chromecast. Easier to use, IMHO. Then we signed up for every online streaming service available and whittled it down to YTTV. Since then we have added HBOmax, Disney+ and Curiosity Stream. While we pay less, I would not make the switch for money. We really enjoy the streaming lifestyle and try different channels all the time.

The huge benefit is the portability. She is at her mom's and is watching everything on her laptop. We also use Roku sticks in out camper and get everything we would at home. When I travel on business, I just bring a Roku stick and plug it into the hotel TV. Very portable and they don't charge you $15 / mo for another box.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Topic Author
psteveo

Post by psteveo »

Do you feel the functionality is good as far as loading the app, the live guide, dvr, etc?
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

the functionality is good but not as fast as directv
its a change.
id say the closest is att streaming service

still directv isnt so reliable in a storm either
fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 »

I had direcTV for 20 years. Switched last year to YoutubeTV for 1/2 the price. I would never go back.

YoutubeTV has a much better user interface. You can easily record shows and series - it will list by episode. So if you want "Deadliest Catch", you can start season 1 episode 1. DirecTV can't touch it.

Zero buffering issues, and we have fast, but not silly fast internet.

I've had no issues with live sports. If anything, you can set your favorite teams in YoutubeTV and it will record all games (great for college hoops, etc.). Most of the "live sports" I watch are streamed on ESPN anyway, so I'm not even on DirecTV or YoutubeTV.

/
Last edited by fatmike91 on Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 »

psteveo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 pm Do you feel the functionality is good as far as loading the app, the live guide, dvr, etc?
YouTube TV is night and day better.

/
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

We had direcTV for many years. Stopped about 5-6 years ago because poor customer service. Went to cable TV at that time because it was easy and reliable. Switched to YouTube TV about 4 months ago. In this current era of high speed internet it is very reliable. I see no difference and watch way too much sports. It’s more than 50% cheaper on a monthly basis compared to our prior cable and directTV accounting for inflation.

We get 3 simultaneous devices and this is more than enough as we only have 2 adults. On a smart TV it is seamless after you organize your channels on a device. I’m very efficient with live TV when needed. However, other than live sports it’s all DVR or VOD. We love it. When i travel for work my TV and DVR literally travels with me and I get my local recorded news and programs. No live local when traveling because it gives me local TV where ever I’m physically located (too lazy to use VPN).

I will NEVER go back to direcTV or cable. Over the top is too easy and reliable now with high speed internet and 5G
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Just lost a $25/mo discount on Directv, and they wouldn't renew it. Still have another $25/mo discount. I may give YouTube TV a try
Topic Author
psteveo

Post by psteveo »

The main reason to stick with Directv would be for Sunday Ticket. Although I heard it is likely to leave Directv in a couple of years.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

I can't comment on DirecTV, but when we cut the cord about 5 year ago, we went YTTV.

At the time, it was fantastic.

While the service remains perfectly fine...the price has more than doubled. We started at 19.99 and it's now $65. Add internet costs ($35 for us) and one more price raise puts me back in the market to re-connect the cord. Google is killing the golden goose, which makes sense since Xfinity and AT&T did the same pushing people to cut the cord. Now, they're nearly equally poor deals IMO.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I haven't had cable TV/Satellite since mid 2019. I don't miss it but that will depend on your viewing needs, especially with regards to sports.

Sports are pretty fragmented right now. NFL games are spread out over all kinds of channels including Amazon. I'm no longer into a lot of sports so they are low on my viewing list.

Most other sports you can always buy the NHL or NBA or MLB package and watch games. I only buy the audio package ($20) to listen to baseball games during my commutes or while on the computer. Interestingly if I am on my computer or ipad, I can go to the MLB website and watch the games (as long as I'm not living in the broadcast market).

Most streaming services will be increase rates since I think they aren't making much money (at least not youtube tv) but at least, for now, there are usually no contracts.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I've used YouTube TV for close to two years now. Here are the pros and cons vs. Cable/Direct TV/ DISH:

Pros: 1) I can take my YouTube TV and all the recordings including local news with me even on vacation, 2) no box in every room and dish on the roof. Clutter-free, and 3) cheaper than other options.

Con: If you stop watching a recording and return later, you lose your place unless you keep the TV on and pause the recording.

TravelforFun
rich126

Post by rich126 »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm I've used YouTube TV for close to two years now. Here are the pros and cons vs. Cable/Direct TV/ DISH:

Pros: 1) I can take my YouTube TV and all the recordings including local news with me even on vacation, 2) no box in every room and dish on the roof. Clutter-free, and 3) cheaper than other options.

Con: If you stop watching a recording and return later, you lose your place unless you keep the TV on and pause the recording.

TravelforFun
Apparently you can fix this if you turn on your watch history. I think mine is off. At least that is what I've been told.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Try FUBO
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

YTTV is much better and way cheaper if you have multiple sets. We were spending $200/mo with DirectTV by the time we had a Genie and two other DVRs to have enough storage for all the football goodness I store up each fall. Every few years, we would lose our stored library as the hard disk would die. YTTV is <$70 incl tax. YTTV has unlimited storage volume, records up to 3 things simultaneously, automatically erases after 9 months. If the broadcast is available in 4k, YTTV will use that if you have a 4k set, never had that with DirecTV.

For sports, you never miss the end of the game with YTTV when the game runs long or the network switches channels; I had forgotten how much that mattered until we went to the kids' house and they had several games in a row where they missed the end. You have to get used to searching for programs/categories instead of browsing channels/networks. So for March Madness, I just searched NCAA men's basketball tournament, selected that and didn't have to go channel surfing to find the games.

Roku and YTTV are currently fighting, so don't buy Roku devices, you won't be able to download the YTTV app (those of us that already had it on Roku have no change or there would have been class action lawsuits!). My understanding is YTTV is available on Apple TV and Amazon Firesticks.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I honestly can't imagine why in 2021, anyone would have cable or dish.

I would challenge how much LIVE TV you REALLY watch. I had to convince my wife because she thought we HAD to have live TV. Wrong. Unless you're a complete junkie, you can get almost anything off a streamer. The only exception are all the darn sports and if you absolutely MUST have local channels.

I bought YouTubeTV for the NFL season and dropped it. Then I bought it for 1 month during the NCAA tourney and dropped it.

We picked up Disney if there is a show or Hulu. But mostly just have Prime and rent things if we want to see it and mostly Netflix. Still, total charge is pretty cheap. That darn $65/month for live tv is ridiculous just for sports.

But to answer your question > YouTubeTV is just fine and zippy as long as you have a good streaming device. Some of the Smart TVs (like Samsung) have buggy YouTubeTV apps.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

We bought a new home last year and stuck with DirecTV, mainly for Sunday Ticket (wife and I are both fans of different out of market teams). When Sunday Ticket leaves Directv in a few years as rumored, we will consider streaming TV, depending on pricing.

One item to consider if you are into home theater- YouTube tv doesn’t offer any content in Dolby Digital 5.1. But this doesn’t matter to your average consumer using TV speakers or a cheap sound bar.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

TravelforFun wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm
Not sure that I understand this. I stop watching a show and when I return another time, it picks up where I left off.
TooOldForThis wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:01 pm
While the service remains perfectly fine...the price has more than doubled. We started at 19.99 and it's now $65. Add internet costs ($35 for us) and one more price raise puts me back in the market to re-connect the cord. Google is killing the golden goose, which makes sense since Xfinity and AT&T did the same pushing people to cut the cord. Now, they're nearly equally poor deals IMO.
That’s true but I mitigate the cost by sharing it with two other people so I only pay $22/month. Each party has one simultaneous stream.
Topic Author
psteveo

Post by psteveo »

One thing I didn't consider is the data usage. We have Xfinity and it looks like we have a max of 1.2 TB each month. We have 2 young kids that stream a lot and if we add in YTTV I would think we may go over the max, especially during football season.
anonsdca

Post by anonsdca »

psteveo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:44 pm We will be moving to a new house and currently have Directv. We are considering switching to YouTube TV to avoid having the dish on our roof and wires throughout the new house. Any thoughts on YouTube TV? How is it for watching live sports? Any buffering issues?

I wouldn't worry about the dish too much. I recently moved back to DirectTV after cutting for 8 years or so. They had an intro price for the first year that beat all the streaming channels I was using and gave me everything I needed. While they bumped the price in year two, the average over the two years was similar to steaming and way less complex.

After the two years, I called to cancel and they reduced the rate and threw in Sunday Ticket for free.

You might want to call them and tell them you are moving and going to cancel for the move. They ask them to reduce the bill and throw in Sunday Ticket and you might get what you need.
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

psteveo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:33 am One thing I didn't consider is the data usage. We have Xfinity and it looks like we have a max of 1.2 TB each month. We have 2 young kids that stream a lot and if we add in YTTV I would think we may go over the max, especially during football season.
When we upgraded to a 4K TV, I exceeded my monthly data cap in four days. Had to upgrade to an unlimited plan. If you run 1080, you can stream a crap-ton and stay under 1.2TB. If you run 4K, not so much.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

TooOldForThis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 pm When we upgraded to a 4K TV, I exceeded my monthly data cap in four days. Had to upgrade to an unlimited plan. If you run 1080, you can stream a crap-ton and stay under 1.2TB. If you run 4K, not so much.
only some of the stuff we watch is actually in 4k, but it's fun to peek at my wifi monitoring when we do. It's not uncommon to see the FireTV consistently pulling down 60+ Mbps. A typical month for us is around 2.2TB.