Hearing Aids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pedsEDdoc

Hearing Aids

Post by pedsEDdoc »

Hi All,

I recently found that I need hearing aids. (this is still a bit of a shock given that I am relatively young). I am being quoted really high prices and found the same model of hearing aids recommended at my audiologist for a much cheaper price online. The place I am investigating for the purchase is Northwest Professional Hearing. Has anyone used these folks before and have good/bad experiences to share? I have searched online review forums but value the perspective of folks here on the bogleheads forums. You all helped me find Zenni for my eyeglasses which saved a ton of money. This company seems like a potential option for folks to save quite a bit on hearing aids (approximately 40% from what I am being quoted by audiologists).

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.
RickBoglehead

Re: Hearing Aids

Post by RickBoglehead »

One of the biggest scams out there is hearing aids. Very high prices as you've found. One of the reasons why a law was passed in 2017 to provide for OTC (Over The Counter) hearing aids in some cases. Unfortunately, the FTC missed their 3 year deadline to establish guidelines. https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... -ready-yet

Several threads in the past on this. Costco has very reasonably priced hearing aids.

One tip I can give you, despite not having hearing aids. Had a relative get hearing aids, years later get new hearing aids, and then once we were overseeing their care, try to get new hearing aids again. Hearing aids require the brain to be trained, just like eyeglasses. You get a new eyeglass prescription, put them on, and they may be a bit fuzzy (or bifocal contacts). You wear them, and vision comes into focus.

Hearing aids work when they are worn. The person that puts them in for church, or a movie, and then takes them out, will be constantly frustrated. You wake up, put them in, and take them out at bedtime.

Lastly, there are huge advances in the ability of the end user to adjust and program hearing aids via Smartphone apps.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Norwegianwood

Post by Norwegianwood »

pedsEDdoc wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:30 am Hi All,

I recently found that I need hearing aids. (this is still a bit of a shock given that I am relatively young). I am being quoted really high prices and found the same model of hearing aids recommended at my audiologist for a much cheaper price online. The place I am investigating for the purchase is Northwest Professional Hearing. Has anyone used these folks before and have good/bad experiences to share? I have searched online review forums but value the perspective of folks here on the bogleheads forums. You all helped me find Zenni for my eyeglasses which saved a ton of money. This company seems like a potential option for folks to save quite a bit on hearing aids (approximately 40% from what I am being quoted by audiologists).

Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.
There have been a few previous discussion threads on hearing aids. I recently went to Costco and had a very good experience. Visit included a hearing exam. Purchased a pair and am waiting for them to come in where I will be shown how the hearing aids work and can be customized for me. Many others have also mentioned Costco as a very good choice to purchase hearing aids.
“If you don’t know where you’re going you might wind up someplace else” - Yogi Berra
retire14

Post by retire14 »

I have had 2 sets of hearing aids from Costco. They have good, well known brands for much cheaper prices. They will adjust the hearing aids free of charge anytime you need it. I went with Costco years ago based on an evaluation published in The NY Times. You may still find the article if you google it.
Horologium

Post by Horologium »

Thumbs up for Costco.
Chesterfield

Post by Chesterfield »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 am One of the biggest scams out there is hearing aids. Very high prices as you've found. One of the reasons why a law was passed in 2017 to provide for OTC (Over The Counter) hearing aids in some cases. Unfortunately, the FTC missed their 3 year deadline to establish guidelines. https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... -ready-yet

Several threads in the past on this. Costco has very reasonably priced hearing aids.

One tip I can give you, despite not having hearing aids. Had a relative get hearing aids, years later get new hearing aids, and then once we were overseeing their care, try to get new hearing aids again. Hearing aids require the brain to be trained, just like eyeglasses. You get a new eyeglass prescription, put them on, and they may be a bit fuzzy (or bifocal contacts). You wear them, and vision comes into focus.

Hearing aids work when they are worn. The person that puts them in for church, or a movie, and then takes them out, will be constantly frustrated. You wake up, put them in, and take them out at bedtime.

Lastly, there are huge advances in the ability of the end user to adjust and program hearing aids via Smartphone apps.
Curious why do hearing aids need to be worn all day, instead of only when needed (church, movie in your examples)? I'm nearsighted and do wear glasses (non-bifocal) only when needed (driving, etc.) I typically don't wear my glasses the whole day for tasks like exercising, walking, brushing my teeth, etc, but maybe 6hrs total/day of wearing glasses a day? I have a family member who wears hearing aids only when needed so is this bad and why? Thanks.
Watty

Post by Watty »

There are lots of threads on hearing aids that you can find by using the search box in the top right corner of most screens.

A few things to point out;

1) Someone had found that that some Costco hearing aid locations were better than others so if you are near more than one Costco check the reviews of the hearing aid department before deciding which one to go to.

2) Especially with your first hearing aid you will need to take it in multiple times to get it adjusted right. Be aggressive with getting the follow up to get it adjusted.

3) Most insurance plans do not cover hearing aids but a few do. When my wife needed hearing aids I looked through the paperwork for my work provided insurance plan and it said nothing about hearing aids. I called the 800 number and it turned out that it did cover hearing aids but they just hid it. :twisted: The bad news that you had to use an in-network provider that sold high priced hearings aids and the insurance only cover the cost of a basic hearing aid. We had to pay extra for higher end hearing aids and in the end it would have been better if we had just paid cash at Costco.

4) Hearing aids are frequently paired with your cell phone. The brand that my wife uses seems to work better with Apple and Android phone so she ended up replacing her Android phone with an iPhone.
CZjc1330

Post by CZjc1330 »

Tried several sets. Can be very expensive.
Finally discovered COSTCO - a lot cheaper, good quality and very good service.
Downside-- Yes, you have to wear them consistently to train the brain. Takes about a month. Then use daily to retain optimal benefit.

Not as comfortable as eyeglasses. So be persistent.

Many if not most purchasers get frustrated and these expensive devices wind up in bedside drawers. Ergo, be forewarned. Good Luck!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Chesterfield wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:58 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 am One of the biggest scams out there is hearing aids. Very high prices as you've found. One of the reasons why a law was passed in 2017 to provide for OTC (Over The Counter) hearing aids in some cases. Unfortunately, the FTC missed their 3 year deadline to establish guidelines. https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... -ready-yet

Curious why do hearing aids need to be worn all day, instead of only when needed (church, movie in your examples)? I'm nearsighted and do wear glasses (non-bifocal) only when needed (driving, etc.) I typically don't wear my glasses the whole day for tasks like exercising, walking, brushing my teeth, etc, but maybe 6hrs total/day of wearing glasses a day? I have a family member who wears hearing aids only when needed so is this bad and why? Thanks.
Brain training, as I said. Family member is doing it wrong.

https://www.hearingtracker.com/ask/just ... begin-with

https://www.starkey.com/hearing-loss/tr ... aring-aids

https://www.truhearing.com/more-resourc ... sistently/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Horologium wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:50 pm Thumbs up for Costco.
+1. Costco is the largest seller of hearing aids in the US.

I bought my first HA from an ENT from a PHD in audiology. It died in about 5 years which is close to the expected life of HAs. I then went to Costco and was tested by a certified audiologist (most Costco staff are just HA techs). She fitted me with a pair of Kirkland HAs for $1600 which were equivalent to brand name HAs selling for $5 to $6K. I got just as good service from Costco as the ENT. They were more accessible than ENT as I could usually just walk in when I had an issue. I have since replaced the Kirkland HAs with an upgrade.

If you have a Costco store convenient to you, I highly recommend buying from them. Their prices are unbeatable and they have great service and a warranty they stand behind.

I am leery of these OTC HAs. They may be technically very good but you need to be fitted to your HAs and that requires sophisticated software systems that test and fit you by someone trained to do that. You can save a lot of money doing that but will likely not get nearly as good a fit.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

I need hearing aids due to the often seen high-frequency loss as I age. I've had them for a couple of years now. I'm a "techie" guy and researched HA's to death for about a year before buying. COSTCO. I found them to have good value, products and service. The hearing test was done well, the consultant was well informed and the hearing aids available were excellent.

They did take some getting used to. It did take about a month or so for things to start sounding normal again. For example, someone opening a bag of chips near me would sound incredibly loud and harsh at first. That is because my brain forgot how to process those high-frequency sounds because they weren't there for quite a while. Now, that sound and sounds like that have returned to normal for me. I was warned about that and when they set up the hearing aid they were able to do a slow ramp-up of the amplification over 90 days. I'm sure that helped some.

I LOVE being able to stream music from my phone to the hearing aids. I can also make and take calls through the hearing aids. I thought about getting a streamer for my TV but I ended up not needing that.

If you also like to research your purchases to death, this may be a good resource: Doctor Cliff, AuD, Youtube channel. It has great general advice on what to expect, what to demand, technical information and some hearing aid reviews.