Transfer SiriusXM Lifetime Account for $35

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TexasPE

Transfer SiriusXM Lifetime Account for $35

Post by TexasPE »

For those of you who purchased a "Lifetime" SiriusXM license years ago, a recent class action settlement allows you to move this license to your current vehicle for a $35 change fee. My Lifetime license was originally restricted to an add-on SiriusXM tuner. I used such a tuner for several years, put put it aside when I purchased a vehicle equipped with an XMSirius radio.

I just made the switch via chat at
https://siriusxm.com/

it only took 5 minutes.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
bloom2708

Re: Transfer SiriusXM Lifetime Account for $35

Post by bloom2708 »

Good information. I had moved my "Lifetime" subscription the max times and they wouldn't allow it to move again 2-3 years back.

I assume it is gone and in the ether. Which is kind of sad. I bought the Lifetime after I bought the stock at $1 and it went to $8 or something. I used some of the gains to buy a lifetime subscription.
Time2Decumulate

Post by Time2Decumulate »

Thanks for the update! I'm also a lifetime subscriber and had managed to get them to transfer my subscription as late as 2017, it took some badgering. Nice to know it's really lifetime now!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Time2Decumulate wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:27 pm Thanks for the update! I'm also a lifetime subscriber and had managed to get them to transfer my subscription as late as 2017, it took some badgering. Nice to know it's really lifetime now!
We’ll see whose lifetime is longer - your’s or SiriusXM’s. :D
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
squirm

Post by squirm »

Can if be moved again to say another vehicle if it gets sold?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Looks like unlimited number of transfers @ $35 each.
I have two unlimited accounts.
HotRod140

Post by HotRod140 »

I just did this a few weeks ago. The rep on the phone, Who is obviously not from these parts, told me, she didn’t know what I was talking about and The transfer fee would be $75, but first she would have to check to see if I had used my three allowable switches. I demanded to speak to someone based in the US. When transferred, I read a copy of the lawsuit to the new rep, she spoke to her supervisor, who in turn took care of my situation. Do not let them scam you. Lawsuit states- lifetime means my lifetime, not the radio’s
ZMonet

Post by ZMonet »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm Good information. I had moved my "Lifetime" subscription the max times and they wouldn't allow it to move again 2-3 years back.

I assume it is gone and in the ether. Which is kind of sad. I bought the Lifetime after I bought the stock at $1 and it went to $8 or something. I used some of the gains to buy a lifetime subscription.
Sounds like you did well by the stock. On the radio, it looks like you still have options, including reactivating:

If you have an inactive Lifetime Subscription, you can (i) reactivate your Subscription to another radio capable of receiving Sirius XM’s satellite radio service for an unlimited number of times at a cost of $35 per transfer, or (ii) receive a payment of $100 in cash and have the Lifetime Subscription be forever cancelled. For more information, please see the Detailed Notice available at the Settlement Website.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

ZMonet wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:45 pm Good information. I had moved my "Lifetime" subscription the max times and they wouldn't allow it to move again 2-3 years back.

Sounds like you did well by the stock. On the radio, it looks like you still have options, including reactivating:

If you have an inactive Lifetime Subscription, you can (i) reactivate your Subscription to another radio capable of receiving Sirius XM’s satellite radio service for an unlimited number of times at a cost of $35 per transfer, or (ii) receive a payment of $100 in cash and have the Lifetime Subscription be forever cancelled. For more information, please see the Detailed Notice available at the Settlement Website.
Thanks. I called and talked to 2 different front line customer service people. Neither knew anything about the settlement. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was given the run around.

I logged an "unresolved incident" request and explained that I would like to get my Lifetime subscription back.

We will see how long it takes to make progress.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Update:

Today I was able to talk to an escalation type person. I was able to revive my Lifetime subscription (purchased in 2004) for the $35 fee. :sharebeer

The rep told me I should have been on the "unlimited" transfers from the get go. But that was never what I was told when I talked to reps.

Bogleheads is useful/helpful for many things outside of investing. :D
HotRod140

Post by HotRod140 »

Excellent, good to hear you rightfully got back what you paid for in good faith. It is amazing, how all types of companies try to screw the consumer