Door frame damaged - Don't want to replace door

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grettman

Door frame damaged - Don't want to replace door

Post by grettman »

When I bought my house it had a damaged entry door frame. Door operates ok but there is a large gap between the door on the hinge side and the frame. I want to get the frame repaired or replaced but everyone seems to want to sell me a whole door. These things cost between $3,000 and $5,000!!

I am not handy enough to fix it myself. My question for the group is: Is it cost effective (or even possible) to replace the frame and put the old door back on ? (I ask because doors come "pre-hung"). If so, what type of service do I look for? Door people want to sell doors. I suppose this is a handy man job?

I live in Northern VA so If anyone has any recommendations please private message me, or put it out here if that is allowed by the forum rules. Any help is appreciated.
orange12

Re: Door frame damaged - Don't want to replace door

Post by orange12 »

It’s hard to say without being there, but I would start by pulling the trim on the interior side so you get a full look at things. Might be as easy as adding a few shims. A handyman should be willing to try and fix it vs replacing. If you’re calling contractors they likely won’t want to deal with such a small job.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If I understand your issue correctly and assuming this is a wood door frame, there isn't any reason that a competent carpenter couldn't repair any damaged sections. Do you have any photos of the problem area you could upload?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

grettman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:27 am When I bought my house it had a damaged entry door frame. Door operates ok but there is a large gap between the door on the hinge side and the frame. I want to get the frame repaired or replaced but everyone seems to want to sell me a whole door. These things cost between $3,000 and $5,000!!

I am not handy enough to fix it myself. My question for the group is: Is it cost effective (or even possible) to replace the frame and put the old door back on ? (I ask because doors come "pre-hung"). If so, what type of service do I look for? Door people want to sell doors. I suppose this is a handy man job?

I live in Northern VA so If anyone has any recommendations please private message me, or put it out here if that is allowed by the forum rules. Any help is appreciated.
How do you define a large gap? a 1/4", a 1/2"? Are the hinges loose or bent, etc? Pictures would be worth a thousand words. Any good carpenter should be able to remove the door, repair the frame if necessary and replace the door. $3K sounds a bit high for new door depending on quality and features
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Not sure how there can be a gap between the frame and the hinge side of the door, if the hinges were installed correctly.

Perhaps the hinges were installed without countersinking into the frame.

The hinge should be mounted flush with the surface of the frame, otherwise they can protrude above the surface and cause gaps. I can't imagine anyone installing hinges incorrectly, but there are some handymen who are not so handy.

Check to see if the hinges are flush with the surface of the frame, if not, a competent carpenter can resolve the issue easily.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
dbr

Post by dbr »

I think you need more diagnosis. If this is a metal frame and it is bent, then you need a new frame at least. Maybe the door would fit the new frame if the right parts are located.

If the damage is that the hinges have been bent, then it might be you could replace the hinges with identical replacements. It could be nothing worse than the hinges have been pulled out and need to be reset with longer screws if there is something there to screw into.

If this is a broken wood frame and/or the structure around the frame has been damaged, then a carpenter could rebuild all of it including setting the hinges. Finding a person of sufficient skill might be difficult.

We had our backdoor broken into some years ago and I had to basically rebuild the door frame on the lock side including adding some material to the wall structure behind the frame. But it wasn't anything a home DIY person couldn't do
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

You could also try going to a local lumberyard (a real old fashioned lumberyard NOT HD or Lowes) and explaining the problem and bring a picture if possible. They may also recommend a local carpenter for the job. I googled "Northern VA lumberyard" and came up with several that look like old fashioned lumber yards but YMMV.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Define your large gap. Is it even all the way down? You say the door operates fine.
You could perhaps simply close the space with strip insulation that they make for doors to seal drafts.
Usually door hinges close flush to each part of the hinge. Maybe your hinges have not been set flush with the wood they are mounted in.
Any DIY person could fix this.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

This is easily fixed by a competent handyman. I have a guy who would charge $55.00 per hour to fix it. A little high for my area, but he is pretty good.

Without a picture it is hard to say what the fix might be, but doors and hinges are very old technology and are well understood.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

I recently repaired a door jamb to a seldom used basement entry door. Only consider myself rather crude with the use of tools. Apparently worker taking new hot water tank down the stairs must have hit the jamb cracking it badly from the bottom to above the second hinge. I obtained a door jamb from lowes for about $30. I took the door off the bottom two hinges leaning it away from the opening while propping it on a support. I used a borrowed oscillating tool to cut off the damaged portion of the old jamb. The oscillating tool also cut through some screws holding it in place. I cleaned out the area where it fit in. Measured multiple times before cutting the new jamb. Behind it there was old foam insulation between it and an irregular masonry stone wall. I filled that space in with quick setting mortar. I used some tapcon screws to hold the thing in place. I then had to recess the hinges into new jamb with a utility knife, chisel (screwdriver) and hammer. Contractor that came by for another part of job but had seen it said I'd get an A+ on job. Never would have tried it myself on front entry door, but it turned out to be not that big of a deal. You won't get into the mess I did when I found out that I needed mortar to fill in wall behind. Door works far better now than it did before. Not sure why but... I said a prayer or two.

Hopefully you can line up a handyman/carpenter to help you out. If you decide on trying it yourself make sure you get a jamb that is the same width as your existing one. Lowes only seemed to carry those for two by four walls.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

A competent finish carpenter can replace the damaged section of a door frame. If it is a custom shape, he can mill it.
Depending on your budget, he can also maybe fix the door frame section that is damaged.
He can also reset your hinges, etc, so the door hangs right if it is off.

At a door price of 3-5 k as you say, it might be worth calling around for speciality "door guys" that are finish carpenters and not just "hangers". If you are handy, you can also take the door off, take the frame out, and then have a cabinetry or wood working shop make the damaged piece for you.

Usually, a "door guy" or speciality finish carpenter will have the shop tools and all that, that a generic handyman will not have.
It depends on the difficulty of the project and your expectations and budget.

Wouldn't hurt to call around and have both various "handyperson's" and various higher skilled wood folks look at it and see what's up. Not much can be gained without actually talking to people in person on the site and having them look at things.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Find a quality trim carpenter. Any competent trim guy should be able to repair the damage in a couple of hours max. Cost should be well under $500 including materials.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Depending on what damaged the door it might be worth filing an insurance claim if you cannot find a good person to fix the door frame without replacing the door.

In addition to needing to know more about the type of damage it would also be good to know more about the type of house. Some expensive homes can have elaborate front doors that may be hard to fix and look right if you are dealing with some sort of "Homes and Garden" entryway.
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc »

Check with door and window shops. You can order just the frame. With proper measurements you can have hinges and lock holes done at the factory. I suggest a No Rot frame that has bottom couple of inches made out of fiberglass. This will keep wicking effect out of the picture.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I'd find a local handyman or a young-ish contractor just starting out his business to examine and give you some ideas & pricing.
Topic Author
grettman

Post by grettman »

Thank you all for your suggestions. Lots to think about.

Going to go handyman/carpenter route most likely.

Insane amount of money and over kill and buy all new.

Always appreciate the time members here give to provide advice.