OpenDNS: Mixed results confirming DNS server

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
creant

OpenDNS: Mixed results confirming DNS server

Post by creant »

I installed a new router and thought I set both my router and, if possible, individual devices to use OpenDNS. But I am getting mixed results when trying to confirm this.

When I check welcome.opendns.com, it says I am not using OpenDNS.

When I check cmd's "ipconfig /all | findstr "DNS\ Servers", it says my Server is OpenDNS 208.67.222.222.

When I check www.whatsmydnsserver.com, it tells me Cloudflare is the owner of my DNS server (108.162.220.28).

Any ideas how to set this correctly? My old router had no problem using OpenDNS on the router and individual devices.
increment

Re: OpenDNS: Mixed results confirming DNS server

Post by increment »

Is it possible that your browser (or other internet client program) is using DNS over HTTPS instead of the system's usual DNS resolver?
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

Double check and see if you also need to enter the IPv6 address for OpenDNS. It may not be in the same area as your IPv4 settings depending on your router.
wmvink

Post by wmvink »

Are you doing the DNS checkups from the router directly or from a client (laptop, tablet...)?

If the latter, the likely cause is the client DHCP config overriding the router config. Set if to 'automatic' or something like that.
If the former, I wouldn't know what to do...
Topic Author
creant

Post by creant »

increment wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 pm Is it possible that your browser (or other internet client program) is using DNS over HTTPS instead of the system's usual DNS resolver?
Thank you for that suggestion. I did not fully understand how DoH works but surprisingly to me, if one is using a VPN but also uses DoH for OpenDNS, there is a DNS leak out of the VPN. When I disable DoH, the DNS leak disappears.