Do you still read the print newspaper?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Arboecars

Re: Do you still read the print newspaper?

Post by Arboecars »

Yes I enjoy reading the printed version. It is easier on the eyes than peering into a IPad. Print also keeps people employed.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

I miss local newspapers, how the high school football team did, what's happening at the library, perhaps a friend being honored, or an obituary that brings back memories of a former neighbor or high school teacher, local adverts, etc.

National newspapers were and still are a waste of space.
Asset Allocation: VT
reader79

Post by reader79 »

Yes, I find that if I read 4 newspapers (WSJ, NYT, WaPo, local paper) + Barron's every day that I know what's happening in the world. I'm also a more informed person and investor. My goal is to use all of the reading to get one new idea each year to improve our family's wealth. So far, it's worked well. To your question of print over digital, I get WSJ/NYT print, WaPo won't deliver so I get it digital, local paper in print, and Barron's digital. I'd like to get Financial Times digitally, but I am sometimes too cheap, even with things I like l.
VTI: 50%, QQQM: 30%, VO: 10%, VB: 10%
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

NW_Nutmegger - You have several threads:

- Any Washington Post Subscribers? (locked)
- Questions for New York Times Subscribers (locked)
- Questions for Wall Street Journal Subscribers (locked to redirect the discussion here)

Please use only this thread to discuss print newspapers.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm quite surprised the OP at 45 even knows what a newspaper is. I'm 20 years older and haven't read a newspaper since before Reagan was president.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Gundy

Post by Gundy »

I miss newspapers. But what I miss most is ACTUAL NEWS.

"News" doesn't exist anymore. It's all just one big op-ed.
"I look at a hundred deals a day. I pick one." -Gordon Gekko
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Not at the moment but sometimes I'll subscribe to The Economist or something similar for a year
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I do! The Wall Street Journal is throw in the driveway!

Old habits die hard. I still enjoy a physical newspaper. I figure I am online all day otherwise.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Arboecars wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:59 am Yes I enjoy reading the printed version. It is easier on the eyes than peering into a IPad. Print also keeps people employed.
WELL SAID! It is nostalgia too!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Online only.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

iamlucky13 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:15 pm So I decided funding an editorial board that promotes political positions I disagree with was a lesser concern than risking the loss of local reporting.
So far that's my position as well, although by far the greatest political bias in my local newspaper content I find is in the national stories written by the national news services - which I have the least use for anyway.

I do occasionally use the coupons from the newspaper. Many of them are probably available online, but just the amount of effort needed to remember to search for them, find them, access on a phone, etc. is far, far more than just grapping a sheet out of the newspaper. So more or less for me the annual subscription at least partly pays for itself with coupons.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Yes. I spend enough of my day looking at a screen.

Hardly ever use the free NYT online sub I get from work. Just re-upped my discounted home delivery. Read WaPo sometimes and WSJ fairly regularly when library is open. My friends of similar vintage no longer expect that I will know the online news sites they swear by.

And I read printed books.

I also find that roughing articles/reviews/reports on paper saves time. Doing it all on screen leads to wasting time polishing each paragraph or even sentence which can be a mega time waster. Having at least an outline, especially the tell em what you're gonna tell 'em section, on paper works for me.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

No, I don't subscribe to a daily printed newspaper (although at one time I did). This article has me feeling good that I dont.

500,000 Trees Killed Each Week for the Sunday Paper
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Only occasionally for the old standard in our area, usually on Sunday. A subscription to a digital newspaper is read daily since those with the former printed paper have moved to it for the most part. Weekly, read a local print paper that is free and has good coverage of local items. Why? Partially due to getting greater news coverage. Also, due to the same reason for paying bills with checks, habits over long periods of time.

Tim
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

Yes! the Washington Post for 65 years. It is part of my Breakfast routine. I remember the Army-McCarthy hearings.I also look at the digital sometimes.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I read the Sunday Washington Post. It’s my local paper so it’s for both local and non-local news. Outside of that I’m trying really hard to limit my consumption of the 24/7 news cycle so having a physical paper keeps me way from the websites.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Due to decreasing number of subscribers, my local newspaper has become too expensive @$35 per month for the print version.

Too bad because I still like flipping pages over breakfast.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

Yes!! I am probably the outlier at 32 but I really enjoy our subscription of The Oregonian that gets delivered on Wed/Sunday.

I get news on my phone all the time but it’s nice to unwind on those mornings with a cup of coffee and reading the paper in bed with my wife and dog. My favorite parts are the comics, business section and how it’s local/regional news.

Also, it helps me decrease screen time for a little bit and there is just something about holding a piece of paper and reading it that’s nostalgic to me. That’s why I try to read books in physical form whenever I can - I like the feeling and it keeps me away from my phone.

Lastly, we watched a show (Last Week Tonight or the Daily Show?) that said local news was dying and getting eaten up by bigger news corps. Local reporting is one of the truest forms of journalism left IMO so we subscribe as a way to support truthful and objective news.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Our paper stopped printing daily. That made the switch easier.

Two printed editions are Wed and Sat. More of a summary of the week.

Printed was $24/month. Digital is $10/month.

I am used to it now.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

As someone that works in journalism, I always enjoy reading thoughts from a group of people about this subject.

Print products will always have a place, because there are always people that like physical objects. I'm sure it will continue to decline, but look at the vinyl industry, sure it is niche, but it is still an industry.

As for the quality of print vs digital, they are the same almost all the time at nearly all outlets. I think something that gives people pause (even in the industry) is that print has a structure in terms of editing. You have finite space and sections in a specific way. Digital, eh, editing tends to happen live and very rapidly. This can cause confusion for people that don't constantly consume the story and see the updates, which btw are often marked poorly depending on the outlet.

Personally, I don't read print. But I prefer the packaging of print stories, because how things are packaged. I read most of the stories before they are even pubbed along with endless emails, that for me it is redundant to get another package of the stories. And since I'm reading news all day throughout my shift from many different outlets, I can't really justify getting print from others. Once and while I'll get a magazine, but once I get behind I'll cancel and start again later.

Someone mentioned the decline of the industry. People often oversimplify this and just blame the internet, but it was a multitiered economic disaster. Craigslist and eBay took one of the biggest bites out of profit margins when classifieds were destroyed. Then the great recession happened. Not only did the great recession generally hurt many businesses , when the housing market crashed that nuked another huge section of ad revenue, then the car industry bottomed out, which also was a massive part of ad revenue, throw in many people unsubscribing because they were out of work and you can see how news was gutted extremely fast. Almost all the a paper''s revenue was destroyed in a very short period of time, which wasn't helped at all in the smart phone era. At that point many paper's lacked the treasure chest to evolve into the digital era, not to mention they lacked they staff or competitive pay.

Sure some papers did well, mostly national brands and a handful of local papers (Star Tribune is a good example), but for the most part they were crushed. And Covid will kill many more.

I also really don't understand when people complain about objectivity in newspapers. Is the opinion section a mess, yes. Do people make mistakes whether it is how they report or edit, yes. Does that mean a newspaper isn't objective, no. There are too many cases of a "left" leaning paper doing a damning report over something liberal and a "right" leaning paper doing a damning report over something conservative, that I'm positive objectivity is real for most journalists and editors. Cable news and social media aren't objective and caused endless strife throughout the industry. With that said, I know people in the industry that have a hard time telling what an opinion article is vs not, which I don't really understand because it is always labeled, but c'est la vie.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

We still subscribe to paper and online. I read online which is always more current. I would cancel paper version today but DW does not use Internet. She mostly wants the paper version it to check obituaries.
cainxinth

Post by cainxinth »

No, but I still get the Saturday and Sunday edition of the NYTimes delivered to me because I like doing the crossword on paper. I literally just take the magazine out and toss the paper directly in the recycling bin as I'm walking back up the driveway. I've spoken with the NYTimes several times about this, but they refuse to just sell the magazine. I know it's wasteful both environmentally and financially, but sitting on the deck with my coffee and the puzzle on a weekend morning is something I look forward to every week and digital crosswords are not as satisfying. Pen and paper for me until they stop printing it altogether!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Superleaf444 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am As someone that works in journalism, I always enjoy reading thoughts from a group of people about this subject.

I also really don't understand when people complain about objectivity in newspapers. Is the opinion section a mess, yes. Do people make mistakes whether it is how they report or edit, yes. Does that mean a newspaper isn't objective, no. There are too many cases of a "left" leaning paper doing a damning report over something liberal and a "right" leaning paper doing a damning report over something conservative, that I'm positive objectivity is real for most journalists and editors. Cable news and social media aren't objective and caused endless strife throughout the industry. With that said, I know people in the industry that have a hard time telling what an opinion article is vs not, which I don't really understand because it is always labeled, but c'est la vie.
With all due respect I have to disagree with your comments about newspaper objectivity. Our local paper serving a metro area of 3M+ is liberal and their editorial page is always slanted left on issues of the day and you can see their bias in news articles as well. I used to love reading the NYTimes but not anymore as they have become extremely biased in their reporting and editorials. I do subscribe to the WSJ which seems more objective than any other newspaper I know about.
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

carolinaman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 am
Superleaf444 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am As someone that works in journalism, I always enjoy reading thoughts from a group of people about this subject.

With all due respect I have to disagree with your comments about newspaper objectivity. Our local paper serving a metro area of 3M+ is liberal and their editorial page is always slanted left on issues of the day and you can see their bias in news articles as well. I used to love reading the NYTimes but not anymore as they have become extremely biased in their reporting and editorials. I do subscribe to the WSJ which seems more objective than any other newspaper I know about.
Local papers have been so gutted, it is chaos now. So, I could see it coming off as objective. I would guess they are trying to be objective but are so short staffed and overworked, that the end product is sloppy.

Yeah, see, I don't see any objectivity issues in the NYT or the WSJ. They often come at issues from different perspectives, due to the nature of their papers, so the introduction of a subject matter often is different, but most of the time the end reporting is the same. Well, that's assuming we are talking about the same story, at least imo.

The editorials are opinion for both, so yeah, those are def not objective.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

+1
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

This is probably headed for shutdown soon :happy but I would try to somewhat bridge the gap by saying that at one time people expected newspapers to be partisan/ideological, overall not necessarily just editorials, for most of US history and it's never been otherwise in some other democratic countries. In the US for a time in the 20th century newspapers, generally, made a relatively greater effort to be non-partisan/ideological. Now it's going back to the previous model (although mainly in one direction, I can't think of a major paper with *news department* slanted to the right, other types of media outlet OK sure have examples slanted to the right). So as in the previous model people who agree with the paper's take on things like that and people who don't...don't read it. I do think Superleaf444 is kidding leafself a bit though to claim this hasn't happened or is confined to other outlets like cable.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:36 pm If you still read from the print newspaper, please share why you enjoy doing this in 2021.

I’m 45 and I’m torn between the world of growing up with the print newspaper and this current climate of news being available 24/7 on any variety of screens.

Looking forward to reading your reasons.
A cup of coffee and a print newspaper is the way to start the day for me and my wife. It's fun to read the comics, see how the local teams have done, and to solve the crossword puzzle....if course in addition to the news.

Unfortunately, our local daily has de-evolved from a quality publication, so after over 35 years as subscribers, we cancelled. We now take a national weekly (The Epoch Times) and that fills our need to feel the printed page. The rest of the week is web feeds. We did buy a huge book of crossword puzzles and feed that social element using the book.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Not in years. I subscribe to the NYT and Wa Post Digitally, as well as the local paper. But the idea of moving physical objects around simply to convey information seems so antiquated. Plus, all the digital stuff is so easily searchable.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Thru the week, I read our local paper on-line. I buy the Sat/Sun local paper.

Every day I read Apple News and Microsoft News online.

I used to get WSJ print and online, but no more.
I don't like the paper since Rupert M. took over...it's political slant irritates the hell out of me.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

The editorial pages of the WSJ and NYT are by definition not objective. You might agree with the editorial slant of either paper, but that doesn't make the editorial pages "objective." :wink:

I think that the WSJ does an exceptional job of separating the news and the editorials. The NYT does a pretty good job of this as well. The professional journalists at both papers are top notch. I certainly regret the gutting of local newspapers; I wish they could have built a better path to online profitability. The loss of local journalism is not a good thing.

Just wanted to comment before this thread gets locked.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

The only print newspaper I read is the W$J. However, I read from all sides of the political aisle online.

I think there has been a steady decline in journalism across the board, not a recent activity by any means. I grew up reading the Miami Herald, moved to the Tampa Bay area and read the Tampa Tribune for years. The Tampa Tribune merged with the St. Pete Times and the merged paper became the Tampa Bay Times.

Unfortunately the resulting product was just not for me, as it leans pretty hard left.

I fully support a newspapers right to print how/what, but I don't have to support their ideology. So I don't.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 »

JackoC wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am

This is probably headed for shutdown soon :happy but I would try to somewhat bridge the gap by saying that at one time people expected newspapers to be partisan/ideological, overall not necessarily just editorials, for most of US history and it's never been otherwise in some other democratic countries. In the US for a time in the 20th century newspapers, generally, made a relatively greater effort to be non-partisan/ideological. Now it's going back to the previous model (although mainly in one direction, I can't think of a major paper with *news department* slanted to the right, other types of media outlet OK sure have examples slanted to the right). So as in the previous model people who agree with the paper's take on things like that and people who don't...don't read it. I do think Superleaf444 is kidding leafself a bit though to claim this hasn't happened or is confined to other outlets like cable.

Haha, nah, it won't go to shutdown. Keeping it civil! :happy

Tho' I do see this point and many have made this argument in the industry, so I'm aware of it. Something to the effect that objectively in journalism isn't the norm from a historical perspective and the industry is reverting to the mean. Honestly,I don't think it is either/or. There are outlets that are bias for sure, but I wouldn't say that is most newspapers at this point. I can totally see it in magazines, cable news and a few other things. I'm sure there are plenty of trash newspapers out there that are biased, but they are often small or the ownership and staffing became complicated.

As for major newspapers that are "slanted to the right" USA Today and the WSJ are often lumped in that category, but again, I think that is due to the nature of how they come at stories rather than their actual stance. The WSJ, for instance, often comes from a business perspective for all the obvious reasons. It's literally their brand. For example, if they are reporting over a partisan issue, let's say corporate taxes, one could make the argument they are pro business and in favor of lower business taxes. I don't believe that is the reality, rather since they cover business they tend to speak to more CEO's, etc., that have that view. Meanwhile you look at the NYT and the same reporter that broke the story over Clinton's private email server also broke the story over the Russia ties to the Trump campaign. The paper doesn't hold the view, they are simply reporting over what is said from the industry they are covering.

I've been in the industry long enough to hear the WSJ is too liberal and the NYT is too conservative. So much really depends who you are talking to, when you are talking to them, what section it came from, the news cycle, and so many other factors. And media has become this strange industry where almost everyone has aggressive opinions about, as if it was a public office. And just like public office, critiques often latch on to mistakes that happened despite being addressed. Like a politician that voted for the Iraq war and later changed their mind, criticisms are centered around poor decision and used against said politician even if they learned more and changed their perspective. Similar things happen with a very bad story or bad headline from an outlet, critiques are often cited to bad choices that don't reflect the overall content.

Anywho, I don't think I'm going to change everyone's mind. Everything has become so chaotic in the media landscape. Additionally trust in all public/private entities have been in a free fall in the past few decades for many good reasons. I understand why people have such views, I just disagree with them.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

westcoast wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:23 pm Stopped years ago with the local newspaper as their bias became so apparent with the articles and stories they wrote.
+1
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Gundy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:11 am I miss newspapers. But what I miss most is ACTUAL NEWS.

"News" doesn't exist anymore. It's all just one big op-ed.
Among US newspapers, I've found the WSJ's news articles to be relatively free of editorial commentary, although obviously there's selection bias when they choose what to report and what not to report. Their op-eds are explicitly labeled as such and best ignored.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

I live in a large (but not largest) metro area, and the only way to get local news is the newspaper. I like reading a physical paper, but at some point, may switch to Sunday only home delivery. local TV news rarely goes into depth, and doesnt do much investigative reporting. I am happy to pay $$$ to keep my local quality paper in business.