DIY pedestal for flat screen TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dodgy55

DIY pedestal for flat screen TV

Post by dodgy55 »

Looking to buy new 40" to 50"flat screen TV but the chicken legs on these new models are too far apart to sit on our existing console. I spent about 6 months and a few hundred $ building a custom wood console to fit our existing TV so I do want to be able to use it. The wall above the TV will not allow for wall hanging. Has any handy Boglehead come up with a pedestal type structure ( preferably made out of wood) that securely holds the TV in place and is small enough to fit on a 28" surface? One of my concerns are the speakers located on the underneath side which might interfere with securing the TV to the pedestal. Before I buy the new TV I want to be assured there is a way to secure the TV without using the chicken legs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Fond memories are the best investment
ronno2018

Re: DIY pedestal for flat screen TV

Post by ronno2018 »

There are several options to replace the far apart legs on the TV with a central stand --

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Swive ... 851&sr=8-4

etc.

Will that work?
Wolfpack2463

Post by Wolfpack2463 »

Since you built the console yourself, I'll assume you are fairly handy. What about adding a 2x4 vertically up the back and then attaching a wall mount to it? It would appear as if the TV was floating above the console. Hopefully, the attached link will give you a better idea of what I'm trying to describe.

https://images.thdstatic.com/productIma ... 64_600.jpg
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

A simpler version of a stand that mounts into the VESA pattern on the TV:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0VNIA9/

This will let you keep it as low as possible to whatever it is sitting on. I used one in a customer outdoor cabinet I built for a 55" TV. Since the cabinet is on wheels I wanted to be sure it could not move within the cabinet. I just drilled a couple holes in each "foot" to bolt down to the cabinet.

Post by 123 »

That's a good suggestion from ronno2018. I've also been facing the same issue when I think about getting a bigger TV since a new stand/table can cost more than the TV. A major brand that makes these products is Sanus https://www.sanus.com/en_us/products/mounts/vstv1/ I've seen a couple of variations of basically the same product from Sanus in the last year so I think their inventory varies. Sometimes the Sanus products are in stock at Costco at better prices. I have seen the table-top Sanus product available in white as well as the standard black at various times.

Two things to think about. The dimensions of the table-top portion of the mount can be surprising large in some case. Additionally some of them might permit easy mounting of a soundbar as well.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

123 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:05 pm That's a good suggestion from ronno2018. I've also been facing the same issue when I think about getting a bigger TV since a new stand/table can cost more than the TV. A major brand that makes these products is Sanus https://www.sanus.com/en_us/products/mounts/vstv1/ I've seen a couple of variations of basically the same product from Sanus in the last year so I think their inventory varies. Sometimes the Sanus products are in stock at Costco at better prices. I have seen the table-top Sanus product available in white as well as the standard black at various times.

Two things to think about. The dimensions of the table-top portion of the mount can be surprising large in some case. Additionally some of them might permit easy mounting of a soundbar as well.
Two (white) Hemnes nightstands from IKEA work perfectly for our 70" TV. And our electric "fireplace" heater fits between them. It doesn't look half bad for a basement.

Works for any size TV.
mhc

Post by mhc »

There are also floor stands for TVs. You could use the floor stand behind your existing cabinet. I use a floor stand for my 43" monitor for work. It is nice that it sits behind my desk and takes up zero desk space.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Topic Author
dodgy55

Post by dodgy55 »

I wish to thank all those who responded to my posting. I went to the Amazon site as suggested and they had what looks to be the perfect answer. I am surprised that the salesperson I spoke with at Best Buy did not offer such a suggestion. Any way, it seems my problem is solved.
Fond memories are the best investment
AlienGrrrl

Post by AlienGrrrl »

I recently encountered the same problem and got a Perlesemith stand from Amazon, I was pleasantly surprised at its sturdiness.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

tev9876 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm A simpler version of a stand that mounts into the VESA pattern on the TV:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0VNIA9/

This will let you keep it as low as possible to whatever it is sitting on. I used one in a customer outdoor cabinet I built for a 55" TV. Since the cabinet is on wheels I wanted to be sure it could not move within the cabinet. I just drilled a couple holes in each "foot" to bolt down to the cabinet.
This is the kind of solution I would pursue.

I was for a while considering building a nice looking, sturdy wood pylon onto the top of my entertainment console, which would have included VESA-compatible mounting holes, along with cable management.

In the end, I didn't have time to take on yet another project and went with wall mounting. I would have preferred the console mount, as it worked better with seasonal changes we do to the furniture arrangement.

We didn't want to keep using the wobbly plastic stand it came with because our first child was about to become able to reach it (about 20 kids die and thousands more are injured each year from falling TV's).