Country Club

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bungalow10

Country Club

Post by bungalow10 »

I’ve read prior threads but thought I’d post a new one for feedback...

About us - DH and I are early 40s, kids are 8, 11, 13. I work, DH is a SAHD. Income is $250-500k/year. Mortgage has $250k left (will be paid off in 12 months). College and retirement savings on track. Hope to stay in this house for 10 years min to get youngest through HS

Cost - 30k upfront. 10k in maint annually and food min. Lots of opportunities to spend much more than that of course

Club - family friendly and walking distance to our Chicago area home. Golf (none of us golf, all want to learn), platform tennis, lake, indoor pool. Youngest wants to do swim team. Older two golf and archery. Kids can go there on their own. Lots of parties and kids activities, club is very active. Winter is platform tennis, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Summer is golf, beach, boats and SUP.

Thoughts? The cost breaks my boglehead heart but my kids are the perfect age for it and I think we’d love it. Lots of friends there, food is good.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
SQRT

Re: Country Club

Post by SQRT »

Sounds like a good idea to join. We joined an excellent club in our early 50’s. Upfront a little more but similar otherwise. Sounds great for your kids. Will be a home away from home. Cost seems in line,
Tourne

Post by Tourne »

Sounds like it could be a good fit for your family at this stage, and there is enough interest from your kids that they will actually use it. I would recommend you speak to some current members you trust about the culture of the club to make sure it is a fit for your family. Is there a lot of pressure to "keep up with the Joneses" on new cars, vacation homes, new phones? That has been a problem in some of the country clubs to which I have belonged over the years, where the focus was less on the activities and camaraderie and more on who had the most expensive set of new golf clubs. At the very least, it might be good to set some expectations with your kids - just because the other kids are getting new $500 drivers every golf season doesn't mean that you will. This is not a swipe at all clubs - there are some great places out there that provide a beautiful space in which to spend time with your family. It is just prudent to do some checking before you make the financial commitment.
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious." - Michael Scott
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bungalow10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:39 am Thoughts? The cost breaks my boglehead heart but my kids are the perfect age for it and I think we’d love it. Lots of friends there, food is good.
I think we each get to decide how to spend our entertainment dollars.

In my community, some join private clubs while others enjoy public courses. As long as your finances are sufficient, this is a lifestyle choice and depends solely on your desires and the culture of the country club.

I assume the $30k is not refundable. If you haven't already done so, you should get some guest passes and check it out personally before committing. I know a few families who spent a lot on membership only to find out that they hated the culture. I also know a family who spent a lot only to find out that their teenage kids had too many other activities (sports, etc.) to spend any time at the club.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

You have plenty of money, I'd say go for it, especially if you have friends there already. It sounds like a fun place for the kids during the summer and I think it's great having access to a pool too. I have to ask, how on earth are you paying off a 250K mortgage in a year? Is this from income or other sources? I'm just curious and impressed.
Last edited by winterfan on Fri May 07, 2021 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I’d do it. Lots of family activities. You will get a lot of use out of it. You can’t take it with you.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Topic Author
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

winterfan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:30 am You have plenty of money, I'd say go for it, especially if you have friends there already. It sounds like a fun place for the kids during the summer and I think it's great having access to a pool too. I have to ask, how on earth are you paying off a 250K mortgage in a year? Is this from income or other sources? I'm just curious and impressed.
Good question - RSU vesting and a modest inheritance. I’ve paid it down $200k in the last year using my bonus, a small gift and RSUs
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Topic Author
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Thanks everyone for the replies and reassurance.

To answer some questions about culture and fit... many of our neighbors belong and we love our neighborhood. Two of my kids spent quite a bit of time there with friends and love it (pre-covid they would go to the beach or to use the pool). We had dinner there last night and DH and I have attended an event there (also pre-covid). We are an active family and the proximity to our house is a nice selling point.

The hold ups for me are the cost and then what if we move? We love our house, neighbors, schools. My job/employment is the only reason we’d move and I’d like to stay stable for the kids through the high school years.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

bungalow10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:39 am I’ve read prior threads but thought I’d post a new one for feedback...

About us - DH and I are early 40s, kids are 8, 11, 13. I work, DH is a SAHD. Income is $250-500k/year. Mortgage has $250k left (will be paid off in 12 months). College and retirement savings on track. Hope to stay in this house for 10 years min to get youngest through HS

Cost - 30k upfront. 10k in maint annually and food min. Lots of opportunities to spend much more than that of course

Club - family friendly and walking distance to our Chicago area home. Golf (none of us golf, all want to learn), platform tennis, lake, indoor pool. Youngest wants to do swim team. Older two golf and archery. Kids can go there on their own. Lots of parties and kids activities, club is very active. Winter is platform tennis, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing. Summer is golf, beach, boats and SUP.

Thoughts? The cost breaks my boglehead heart but my kids are the perfect age for it and I think we’d love it. Lots of friends there, food is good.
I'd do it, simply for the kids.

Sports run $2K/year or $6K for all 3 kids.
Activities run $2k/year or $6k for all 3 kids.

The $10K would be an easy spend to cover the kids. The $30K doesn't break even, but to rationalize that spend think about putting a pool in your backyard. Cost would be 2x that and the return would be nothing...same as the country club.
Topic Author
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

We will still have some kids activities, like soccer. Soccer schedules also tie us to home over the weekend, much fewer weekend getaways, so a club getaway close to home will be nice.

Also, kids sport teams and camps are an additional charge. It’s competitive with public teams, but no great deal. Food is similar - good quality but no discount versus other restaurants.

Also, an easy answer to the epic “where do we go for dinner” question is priceless!
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

bungalow10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 am Thanks everyone for the replies and reassurance.

To answer some questions about culture and fit... many of our neighbors belong and we love our neighborhood. Two of my kids spent quite a bit of time there with friends and love it (pre-covid they would go to the beach or to use the pool). We had dinner there last night and DH and I have attended an event there (also pre-covid). We are an active family and the proximity to our house is a nice selling point.

The hold ups for me are the cost and then what if we move? We love our house, neighbors, schools. My job/employment is the only reason we’d move and I’d like to stay stable for the kids through the high school years.
We joined a local club for $15,000 last March and we are moving. It was an incredible reprieve during covid and very convenient for doing take out, going to the pool, going to the gym, etc.

I’m disappointed we were members for only a year but we got a significant amount of value from it. No regrets.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Been a member of a club for a decade..... family younger than yours but gets good use out of it. Pls I golf a lot.

My only worry is you are buying a full golf membership and none of you golf. Pretty rare for someone to join as a full golf member and nobody actually plays golf (yet).

Can you do a social membership? Often you can still get very limited golf access with social membership so you can get your feet wet.... and cost is much lower.
Topic Author
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

There is no social membership option.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

For me, the main question to answer is - are we a country club family?

If the answer to that is yes, then the second question is - are the members of this country club people we are comfortable with?

If that answer is yes, then you've made your decision.

It's a very personal decision. Me, I can't ever imagine belonging to a country club, but that's me.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

It sounds like your family would make the most of everything the place has to offer. Your kids are the perfect age to really take advantage of the opportunities there. It sounds like you can comfortably afford it. Friends are there and walking distance. I say go for it.
rascott

Post by rascott »

bungalow10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:08 am There is no social membership option.
Just be prepared for your monthly bills to be a lot more than the monthly dues..... particularly with 5 people there hitting the snack bar/ restaurant. My "dues" end up being only about half my monthly bill.

Are all those activities included? Or are they separate fees for each?

Sounds like a great option though, being so close and already knowing people there.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Country Clubs are very foreign to me. I didn't meet someone who had belonged to one until, at least that I was aware of, I had graduated college. Never thought I was missing anything, but I also appreciate that different parts of the country have different amounts of publicly available amenities. For example, if I wanted to golf, its $18 - $35 for a round of 18 holes at one of two county golf courses.

You can afford it, but I would just caution before you commit to $40k+ year 1 to try and learn golf, that perhaps you go spend some money on golf lessons and see if you all like it. I tried learning golf, but relatively quickly decided it wasn't for me. Probably not a good business decision, but a decision none the less.

A few other things to consider:
Do you have friends who belong?
Are you hoping to make new friends?
What if you find out you don't like a lot of the people?
What if your kids don't get along with the other kids?
What if your kids get bored of it?
Are you ready to rearrange your social life around going to this one place?
What happens if find out you're not using/going nearly as much as you anticipated?

If I'm going to spend >10% of my gross income on something, I would expect it to be a highly used thing. I can't imagine having a steady weekend appointment/obligation to go somewhere and do something.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I'm struggling with the same question. Where we are there are a couple country clubs. We would do a social membership, the in-laws have a membership. I do constantly wonder if it's worth it. Our HOA has a pool, we have a community gym membership for a larger outdoor pool, sports leagues, etc.

They have Halloween Parties, Events, etc... but I feel like we'd basically be buying a food subscription.

For those of you in these, do you find yourself hanging out there with a lot of other people? We know 1 family that's a member in our neighborhood, I guess I'll quiz them... but feels awkward :)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 am For me, the main question to answer is - are we a country club family?

If the answer to that is yes, then the second question is - are the members of this country club people we are comfortable with?

It's a very personal decision. Me, I can't ever imagine belonging to a country club, but that's me.
When I took golf back up when I retired I found there were two populations of golfers (with some overlap). Some were club members and some preferred to play at a lot of different venues for variety and played mostly at public (some of which are private businesses) courses - there are many within a couple of hours drive. The club members also played quite a bit at the public courses, both around here and on golf vacations so their expenses tended to be quite a bit higher than simply their club fees.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

You have that within walking distance? That’s sounds lovely.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I say go for it!

We were social members of a country club for a few years. No joining fee, very low monthly dues and spend. I had played enough bad golf with customers on the company tab, I had no desire to actually pay for a round. Social membership was just right.

Everyone except me had wanted to add a pool, but I didn't want to cut down so many of our mature oak trees, as they provided so much shade. I'm pretty sure our monthly spend was far cheaper than a pool + pool upkeep would have been.

The daughters could go to the club after school, along with their friends, and swim until we picked them up after work. They would treat their friends with burgers or dogs, but I didn't mind, their friends were great kids.

The club had really good food, and a cozy bar with cheap drinks. The bar area had a shaded patio, and I spent a fair amount of time on the patio, swilling drinks, smoking a stogie, and reading.

As the daughters got older, we dropped the membership, as they were so busy with other activities.

I never regretted the cost at all.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Another consideration I haven’t seen mentioned (and possibly a nonissue), but what is the exit cost/ability? Particularly with what I believe to be a decline in golf participation over the last decade, it seems like I’ve heard of situations where members can not give up their club membership until a new member joins, which can be a protracted process if there is no pool of prospective members and many old members trying to exit resulting in ongoing costs despite not fully using or using at all the club.
rascott

Post by rascott »

sureshoe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:33 am I'm struggling with the same question. Where we are there are a couple country clubs. We would do a social membership, the in-laws have a membership. I do constantly wonder if it's worth it. Our HOA has a pool, we have a community gym membership for a larger outdoor pool, sports leagues, etc.

They have Halloween Parties, Events, etc... but I feel like we'd basically be buying a food subscription.

For those of you in these, do you find yourself hanging out there with a lot of other people? We know 1 family that's a member in our neighborhood, I guess I'll quiz them... but feels awkward :)
Most of our socializing these days is with fellow club members... both at the club and outside of it. It's what you make of it..... but is also dependent upon the age demographics and culture of the particular club
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Bmac wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 am Another consideration I haven’t seen mentioned (and possibly a nonissue), but what is the exit cost/ability? Particularly with what I believe to be a decline in golf participation over the last decade, it seems like I’ve heard of situations where members can not give up their club membership until a new member joins, which can be a protracted process if there is no pool of prospective members and many old members trying to exit resulting in ongoing costs despite not fully using or using at all the club.
We live very close to one that has a similar arrangement. Up front cost is significant (orders of magnitude above one mentioned in OP); some of the cost is returned at exit but exit requires an entrance - essentially you are selling a share in the club, although the contract isn't that specific. A couple we know pretty well tired a few times to recruit us but we simply aren't country club people.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
shockwavesfan

Post by shockwavesfan »

We are slightly younger (Late 30’s) with kids 5 & 7 and have been members at our local country club for years. It has been the best thing for our family. I have always golfed, wife is learning and has met a bunch of other ladies who are just learning as well. Kids are on the swim team, do junior golf clinics all summer, tennis clinics, etc.

The club is a minute from our house so we basically live there. We knew a bunch of members before we joined but we have also made so many good friends that we have met there over the years.

I would say do it. I can’t say enough good things about our experience.
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Thank you for this very timely thread. Replace golf with boat and I'm in the same quandry :) Would also tamp down the burning desire to add a pool to my backyard!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Never belonged to one but a few things to consider;

1) How are the clubs finances? Millennials are playing a lot less golf than prior generations and many golf courses have shut down. This is especially true since the land they are on can be worth millions if it is rezoned for housing.

2) If you decide that it is not right for you then can you just drop your membership in the country club? Some of them may be set up like timeshares in that the only way to get out of them is if they find another new member to join to take your place. Even if it would not be hard to find a replacement now few people may want to join country clubs in a recession.

3) How much are the country club activities are centered around alcohol? You may find yourself hanging out with heavy drinkers and you could also start drinking a lot more than you normally would.
carne_asada

Post by carne_asada »

Have you considered your local YMCA? They often have lots of similar activities without the huge membership fee.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I would do it too and I am pretty frugal. TBH, we have a club like that in our subdivision and many people belong to the club. One of my regrets is not joining the club earlier when we could have (of course our financial situation is very different now 10 years later and more secure). But one of the things about a club like you are describing is it is not the stereotypical country club you see on tv.

It is really - better phrased - a social club. A place where people in the subdivision get together and eat and drink, bring their kids for activities that are both organized and organic between kids and since it is in the neighborhood, strengthens neighborly bonds. It is not that different (outside of the food/beverage) than a traditional block hang out spot that we had in our neighborhood in the 1970s/80s. You know, that family who always was outside and all the parents would hang out together various evenings talking with a beverage in their hands and the kids played in the associated yards.

When my kids were younger, I think it would have been a benefit to join that type of club for many reasons - but ironically as you are joining as it will be good for your kids (a discussion my wife and I had years ago) - it will probably be better ultimately for you and your spouse. While I know my neighbors, I live in a 1500 house subdivision - it is impossible to know everybody and it is likely I could have found friends I have never met here less than a 15 minute walk from my house. Now that my kids are going to college, it would have been nicer to have closer friends in the neighborhood.

the food and drink bills will be higher than the minimum but the dinner question is priceless. The food at our club (we go when we are invited at times) is nothing to write home about, but is solid - similar to local restaurant (upscale prices but average food). It makes it convenient when dinner prep is lacking time or motivation.

Hope that helps...
J295

Post by J295 »

Sounds like lots of reasonable reasons to do this. Go for it.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

TechieTechie wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:25 am Thank you for this very timely thread. Replace golf with boat and I'm in the same quandry :) Would also tamp down the burning desire to add a pool to my backyard!
I’d be careful thinking one will tamp down the other.

When we built our first pool my wife and I we debating boat vs pool...pool won.

15 years later I have built my 3rd pool, own a boat and country club membership. All have their place, none are cheap, and we could live without any of them but prefer to keep all of them.

To the OP -

The best value for us, for sure, is the country club. I’ve golfed for years and felt it was valuable on my own; now my wife and 3 kids all golf so there is a significant family activity around it. We have no concerns with our kids being there own their own so frequently in the summer they will spend huge chunks of the day there.

It’s an equity club, so we own a share and the way out is to sell the share. There are 435 shares; for the past 20 years there was typically <10 shares for sale and they typically sold in ~3 months, which held the share value pretty consistent. In 2008 share value tanked to nearly give it away prices to get out of the dues; now in the last year, thanks to Covid, there is a waiting list of prospective members and share value is 3X the 20 year average. Our club is busier than I’ve ever seen it. We have more surplus cash reserves than ever before and basically spending it on vanity projects since we can’t distribute them. I know this isn’t the case for all the clubs in the area. Strongly encourage you to understand the clubs financials. Many clubs in my area have capital and reserve assessments going on right now.

I guess my point is I think a typical family will enjoy the membership. You can always get out if you when your done, the question really is will you recover the share cost. My thought is the share cost is a sunk fee and when I’m done if I get anything for the share that would be great.

I should add our club will be celebrating its 100 year anniversary in the summer of 2020! It’s well established.

Post by 123 »

bungalow10 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:39 am ...kids are 8, 11, 13...Income is $250-500k/year...

Cost - 30k upfront. 10k in maint annually and food min...walking distance to our Chicago area home... Kids can go there on their own. Lots of parties and kids activities, club is very active.
Yes, Yes, Yes
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
sport

Post by sport »

Is the club membership stable or declining? In my area some clubs have merged into one facility with the other facilities being closed. One well established club in a convenient location had membership decline to the point where continuing the club was not practical. The remaining members had to decide what to do with the club. They ended up donating the land to the county park district. The former golf course now grows wild and has become a "nature walking path".
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 am For me, the main question to answer is - are we a country club family?

+1. Very well said.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

sport wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:56 am Is the club membership stable or declining? In my area some clubs have merged into one facility with the other facilities being closed. One well established club in a convenient location had membership decline to the point where continuing the club was not practical. The remaining members had to decide what to do with the club. They ended up donating the land to the county park district. The former golf course now grows wild and has become a "nature walking path".
Sport I’m pretty sure I live near you! :happy I would never join any of the country clubs around where I live because they all seem too pricey and all are in decline in one way or another. We have a skating club that is very run down and hasn’t been updated since about 1930 (at least it looks that way). The one described by the OP sounds like there is a lot to do and would be fun socially.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Sounds like you are a perfect fit for the Club....and you can walk to it? Sign me up! Clubs are awesome if you use them a lot.....and it sounds like you will...so go for it.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Sounds super expensive to me...

30k to join and 10k every year? I wouldnt unless im uber rich.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Speaking For "Myself"
I would forego and
Throw 30k at the mortgage
And Continue
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

I grew up in a similar setup. To the best of my recollection I was at the club all the time throughout primary school, partially during middle school, and not at all during high school.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

After learning to golf, it would be fun for the family to just walk to the end of the street after work and play a few holes...with no pressure to play the number of holes you just signed-up for. Play 3-4 holes and come back and have dinner at the clubhouse.

And it's nice to have food service at the pool....don't have to worry about making food for the family. Just go up and swim for an hour and have dinner at the pool.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I would do this in a heartbeat and not look back, especially since it is in walking distance. What a great way to get kids off their devices and out having genuine social interaction with peers while doing sports and getting exercise.
J295

Post by J295 »

anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am

+1. Very well said.
What is a “country club family”?
leeks

Post by leeks »

Walking distance is nice. Walking distance healthy outdoor activities for teenagers is really a great option that most do not have. I am not a "country club person" but I would do it in your situation.
Not Jacob Fugger

Post by Not Jacob Fugger »

I’d say definitely do it if the culture of the club is suitable to your lifestyle. It will shape your children for sure. It can provide a sense of belonging and community that really is hard to match. Especially for teens and young adults, the environment can contribute to good manners, poise, lifetime sports skills, and sociability. Can there be toxic cells within clubs? Sure. But you’ll hopefully be able to navigate those as with any community.

As others note, there can be quite a few hidden costs. And the ease and apparent invisibility of charging lunches etc can allow younger members to get carried away. All clubs to which we belong or have belonged (each over 100 years old) do not refund initiation costs or allow sales of “equity”. The equity is mostly theoretical in that if the club dissolves you have some claim. The real benefit is having a vote. But most clubs are run like an oligarchy not a democracy for good reason. So even the vote is not much of a say in club governance. I think clubs are best as a lifetime choice barring a need to move. You might inquire discreetly about any assessment rumors or plans. Those can be significant and not always fully disclosed. They can be masked as “capital program” fees etc.

For us, country clubs have been an oasis and place to deepen existing friendships and make new ones. Good luck!
ram

Post by ram »

Do it.
Ram
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

J295 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 pm

+1. Very well said.
Not sure, we definitely are NOT.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

+1. Very well said.
The kind of family that spends most of their free time at a country club.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
doss

Post by doss »

Reading this makes me want to join one. Never seen such a positive thread with consistent consensus.

Humm, so there is a Boot Ranch club in Texas near me. Looks expensive...
“ The long-term 9%-10% nominal return of the stock market INCLUDES the crashes.” — calvin+hobbs
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

I'm not a Country Club type guy but it sounds like in your case -- it would be an acceptable expense. you can definitely afford it.

we were a sports family -- we were always going to games, tournaments, meets, etc. add in trips to visit family -- we wouldn't have used it very much and our neighborhood had a pool and tennis courts so that was covered.

yes there is some 'opportunity cost' loss but that can be justified in some regards. might be great networking for work for instance. plus the kids as you mention.

one thing you might find as mentioned above is 'lifestyle creep' when you are increasingly around high earners: more of an impetus to 'keep up with the Jones' family' when you see their new car, hear about their trip to Europe (COVID rules notwithstanding), their home remodel, new Rolex, etc... that may have an unintended / undesirable effect on your kids if you're not careful -- "Can I get a Porsche when I turn 16 like Johnny did??"... these seem like cliches but I've seen it happen first-hand.

but I once heard on a financial radio show : anything you get a lot of use / utility from -- can be a wise expense regardless of the cost. while anything you DON'T use may be a wasteful expense no matter how 'cheap' it was.

bottom line : as long as y'all go there a lot its probably a worthwhile expense. :happy

----------------------------------------------------------
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 pm

+1. Very well said.
Not sure, we definitely are NOT.
My perception is it is for the kind of people who were in frats and sororities in college. Definitely not appealing to myself or my wife, but I can see how it is to others.