Country Club

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Atilla

Re: Country Club

Post by Atilla »

I see great value in being able to order the children out of the house because they have somewhere safe and close to go to with no excuse there's nothing to do.

Get out and don't come back for 3 hours... :sharebeer
bcc1234

Post by bcc1234 »

We've belonged to a club for quite a while. We've made life long friends. Just be ready for the usual assessment for "something". Whether it's for unforeseen repairs (roof, HVAC, updates, etc). It seems rarely are there funds to cover these types of things - and you, as an owner, will have to pay.

Has the building been renovated recently, has the course? If not - they will be. Every couple years you should count on an assessment for 2-5K. Are the assessments voted on - or does the board have the right to pass them?

These are not things that are unusual - just don't get frustrated when they come.

Your family will make new friends and enjoy the experience - we certainly have.

bcc
tm3

Post by tm3 »

I've done the cost analysis multiple times and the CC never makes it over the bar. But when viewed through the filter of quality of life and having fun, it rises to the top. Every visit is like taking a vacation. And it was especially nice to have during The Virus.

Will you encounter "country club types" who are social climbers and insincere snots? Absolutely. But you will also encounter a lot of folks who are not. Who you decide to associate with is your choice.

I say go for it, with one caveat. You mention learning how to play golf. Don't even consider golf unless your life is sorely lacking in frustration and you need to compensate. :happy
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Most country club people I know are good looking, good shape, financially well off, went to good schools, good jobs, charismatic, love golf and good food and drink.
rascott

Post by rascott »

stoptothink wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:11 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 pm
J295 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:12 am For me, the main question to answer is - are we a country club family?

If the answer to that is yes, then the second question is - are the members of this country club people we are comfortable with?

If that answer is yes, then you've made your decision.

It's a very personal decision. Me, I can't ever imagine belonging to a country club, but that's me.
+1. Very well said.
What is a “country club family”?
Not sure, we definitely are NOT.
My perception is it is for the kind of people who were in frats and sororities in college. Definitely not appealing to myself or my wife, but I can see how it is to others.
I'd say your perception is way off.... are there certain old school clubs that are really "clubby", for lack of a better word....sure. But I've found they are the exception. not the norm. Most clubs today (even many of the very old ones) are very family fun centric.... they've had to adapt to attract members. Only exception would be extremely high end, prestigious golf clubs where membership is still often by invite only.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rascott wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:25 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:11 am
anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 pm
J295 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 pm
anon_investor wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 am

+1. Very well said.
What is a “country club family”?
Not sure, we definitely are NOT.
My perception is it is for the kind of people who were in frats and sororities in college. Definitely not appealing to myself or my wife, but I can see how it is to others.
I'd say your perception is way off.... are there certain old school clubs that are really "clubby", for lack of a better word....sure. But I've found they are the exception. not the norm. Most clubs today (even many of the very old ones) are very family fun centric.... they've had to adapt to attract members. Only exception would be extremely high end, prestigious golf clubs where membership is still often by invite only.
In both entities you are literally paying for a social network that isn't available to a lot of the general population (because they can't afford it), so what makes them different? People who are in sororities and frats in college grow up and have families. My experience with country clubs, as a guest of my ex-wife's family for 5yrs, felt exactly like this. Make no mistake, I like surrounding myself with successful like-minded people too and I'm not saying either is good or bad, but my experience made it clear it was not for me.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted; discussion has veered into class issues). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.