can I get google Sheets to open to last edited cell?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
heartwood

can I get google Sheets to open to last edited cell?

Post by heartwood »

I've googled the internet, tried the Sheets help section, tried the google users forum to no avail.

I have multi-sheet Google Sheets that I use as my register for several accounts, e.g., checking accounts. I enter transactions to track and project my balance.

When I used Excel and opened the worksheet it opened at the last cell edited. In Sheets it goes to the first cell in the worksheet. So each time I open it I have to scroll to the current section, e.g., to May 6 rather than Jan 1. Annoying but not fatal, but it's only May.

Any workaround to have it open at that last cell?
z91

Re: can I get google Sheets to open to last edited cell?

Post by z91 »

Do you actually need the last edited cell, or just a specific cell you want to link?

If the latter (and don't want to use a trigger): A potential workaround for this is to create a named range for the cell. Go to another cell, type some text, create a link. The link should go to the named range you created earlier. Once you have the link, you can delete the cell and use that link to go to the specific cell.
wander

Post by wander »

You can reverse the order. Old date is at the bottom of Google sheet, and set new day at the top.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

I just Ctrl-downarrow.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

otinkyad wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm I just Ctrl-downarrow.
Thanks, not what I want. The sheet already has entries into next year. I don't want to go to the end, just where I left off.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wander wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 pm You can reverse the order. Old date is at the bottom of Google sheet, and set new day at the top.
great kluge! I'm too set in my ways to reorient my thinking and have a reverse ledger.
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Tried this but keep getting error messages. I'm gone for a few days. I'll look again when I get back
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

z91 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:38 pm Do you actually need the last edited cell, or just a specific cell you want to link?

If the latter (and don't want to use a trigger): A potential workaround for this is to create a named range for the cell. Go to another cell, type some text, create a link. The link should go to the named range you created earlier. Once you have the link, you can delete the cell and use that link to go to the specific cell.
I don't understand how to do this. I'll take a look later.

All helpful suggestions. Maybe what I need is ELI5 (explain like I'm 5) I may just continue to scroll rather than spend more time figuring it out.

Thanks to all.