Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
alfaspider

Re: Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?

Post by alfaspider »

ensign_lee wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 pm Yes, but for the opposite reasons. I'm down in Houston, and wow I can't even go outside now because when it's high 80s with near 90% humidity it feels awful. And it's only going to get worse from here as TX goes through Summer.

GF doesn't want to move though....even though we could afford it.
Now? It's gorgeous today. Humidity is 37% at the moment.

I've found that the best way to get through the bad parts is to take relatively frequent breaks from the city (to the extent you can). Even Galveston bay can be reasonably pleasant outside if you are in the shade and have a sea breeze. We always plan a weeklong trip somewhere cooler near the end of July or beginning of August, when the heat is typically at its worst.

I have to admit I used to be more down about Houston weather until I lived in Washington D.C. and New York city. The heat isn't as consistent in those places, but it can be just as bad if not worse when it comes on. The New York City subway can be a special kind of hell when it's 100* outside and 120* inside the station while you wait for a train. Plus, New York doesn't have the ubiquitous a/c we have here. Also, I loved Colorado weather when I lived there, but having to commute in the snow is no fun.
Last edited by alfaspider on Thu May 06, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pikel

Post by Pikel »

I live in upstate, and this time of the year is... difficult.

I was just down in Maryland and it was 70s and 80s, everything leafed out, azaleas and rhododendron in full bloom. With solar heaters it would have been pool weather.

In general I think the mid-atlantic has a great climate. 4 seasons, and though the summers are certainly humid, nothing is nearly as oppressive as a northern winter.

Last year we had snow around May 11. :annoyed
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Fargo, ND has some of the worst weather, most of the year. Always cold.

Except June, July, August. First half of June can be chilly.

Hate is not too strong of a word for me and our weather. September and May are sometimes passable. More often cool/cold.

7-8 months of cold or very cold. Oh well. All family is stuck here. Nobody will budge. Pass the beernuts.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I don't know if I have good advice, but just want you to know that you are not alone. I retired 14 years ago and have not spent a winter in the US since then, besides visiting relatives and friends. I usually visit my relatives in Southern California around Christmas time and I have to gird myself and say to myself that I am doing this for my family, etc. I don't even prefer Florida weather in the winter although it's not bad, just chilly. I have even tried to find research about why Americans like cold weather so much but finally figured out that my preferences are just different.

I do think climate is just one factor among many but it's an important one. I spend a lot of time outside every day, so it's definitely important for me.

I used to travel to cold US cities for my job and I would look around and ask myself why these people have chosen to stay here. Maybe I saw you :D
Topic Author
JV

Post by JV »

kramer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:57 pm I don't know if I have good advice, but just want you to know that you are not alone. I retired 14 years ago and have not spent a winter in the US since then, besides visiting relatives and friends. I usually visit my relatives in Southern California around Christmas time and I have to gird myself and say to myself that I am doing this for my family, etc. I don't even prefer Florida weather in the winter although it's not bad, just chilly. I have even tried to find research about why Americans like cold weather so much but finally figured out that my preferences are just different.

I do think climate is just one factor among many but it's an important one. I spend a lot of time outside every day, so it's definitely important for me.

I used to travel to cold US cities for my job and I would look around and ask myself why these people have chosen to stay here. Maybe I saw you
bloom2708 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:36 pm Fargo, ND has some of the worst weather, most of the year. Always cold.

Hate is not too strong of a word for me and our weather. September and May are sometimes passable. More often cool/cold.

7-8 months of cold or very cold. Oh well. All family is stuck here. Nobody will budge. Pass the beernuts.
You guys are killin' me. My ribs hurt from these two posts. Thanks for that. Yeah, I think as I get older my body is rebelling. I go out for the morning paper in February and curse the whole way.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I hate the summers here in MO. Any affordable state with low humidity?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

iamblessed wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm I hate the summers here in MO. Any affordable state with low humidity?
New Mexico?
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

I did basically hate where I was living (Minnesota) mostly because of the super long winters. I moved to the Central Coast of California and love the weather. I’d never move back to Minnesota and have zero regrets even though I left behind friends and family.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:01 pm You guys are killin' me. My ribs hurt from these two posts. Thanks for that. Yeah, I think as I get older my body is rebelling. I go out for the morning paper in February and curse the whole way.
Yesterday I put the garbage can out in the morning. It was 27F and windy. Maybe next week will be better. :twisted:

62 right now with a 17 mph wind gusting to 29 mph. Even 62 can be chilly.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I like the 4 seasons where I live. early winter, winter, late winter and road construction.

Once we retire we will probably schedule our trips down south during the winter months. Summers here are spectacular.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

We spent the last four years of my Navy career just west of Seattle, with the previous two years in Western Scotland. The weather didn't bother me in the least in either place, once you learned to scrub the moss off your butt every few months :happy. But then, I'm a former freckled redhead, and like the cooler weather. My wife, on the other hand, developed bigtime light deprivation depression the last two years we were in Washington and absolutely had to get out.

So after I retired, we moved to the Denver area for three years and loved it. Wife absolutely blossomed in the sunshine, and our skiing skill improved dramatically. However I soon discovered that making nuclear weapons for a living was not my thing, so we chucked the good paycheck and moved west to the ski country. We both became ski instructors and I guided fly fishing in the summers. We lived our vacation for 22 wonderful years. Beautiful summers and always lots of sun. Low humidity and thin air allowed one to walk outside in a flannel shirt down to the mid twenties if the wind was calm.

As we started approaching our seventies, however, the long winters began to grow on us. Not the cold so much as just the length of the chilly season. After a LOT of thought, we moved to Sedona AZ. It took a couple years for me to adjust to the hotter summers, but as I get older it becomes easier each year. Wife loves it, as she has always tolerated heat better than me. At 4500 ft. elevation, Sedona is MUCH cooler than Phoenix, which I absolutely could never put up with. Today is the warmest day of the spring so far and it is 91 degrees and 12 percent humidity and I am perfectly comfortable sitting in the shade. In the summer we will run the A/C from 2PM to 10PM. By 6PM of so we can always sit outside when we go out to dinner. Winters are mild with two or three snows of one to five inches.

Sedona is a tourist town so traffic during spring break can get heavy, but folks from California laugh when locals complain. Tourism does mean lots of good restaurants at pretty reasonable prices. Home prices here have jumped dramatically in the last two years as Californians try to escape covid-19.
I'm glad we bought when we did.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 am Greetings, my fellow BHs,

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather. It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct. It's not the WNY weather alone, it's all the northeast, as coworkers and friends often feel the same who live in this zone. I don't enjoy cold-weather activities (e.g. skiing, etc.); I actually hate the feeling of being cold. Perhaps my body is just getting less and less acclimated, who knows.

"So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits. Lots of changes are coming with my kids in the next couple of years, but I am finding that I just can't handle the weather anymore. By the gods, I just want to open a damn window! :oops:

I was mainly just curious if others are or have been in this boat, and what you have done to mitigate those feelings. The pandemic nixed travel all of last year, plus we are trapped within a school calendar, so traveling together has not been easy. I honestly may just escape for a week or two in the winter, alone if I have to.

Suggestions? Sorry for this sounding like a "vent" post. I'm honestly just searching for ideas.
I grew up in Ontario. Winter can be ... tough.

I would say get your kids launched into college or at least clear what best options are for College vis a vis in state v out of state. For example would they attend UNC in Chapel Hill? (Wonderful college town). Maybe that means Charlotte is an option? NC always struck me as a compromise between N & S in weather and in culture.

Atlanta has nicer weather but horrible commuting compared to where you are, I think.

You want to check out other places you could live thoroughly before taking the plunge. Unfortunately most places you might want to move to probably have higher housing costs than Western NY.

I do recommend visiting places at bad times of year. Washington DC in July. Arizona in summer? See if you can stand them.

Make a plan to move within the next 5 years & what do you need to have accomplished financially and in terms of research to push the button? Revisit your progress at least once a year to see how close you are to hitting this goal? Maybe you will do it in 3.

But you won't do it at all unless you have done some research & worked out financial tradeoffs.
schmoglehead

Post by schmoglehead »

ponyboy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:54 am If you have the pocket, owning two homes is probably the way to go, if you hate weather so much.

We went to jacksonville last feb. Ive never been to FL then, only in July. The weather was amazing in Feb. 50s-70s and almost no humidity. It was a different place during that time. I could live in FL from Dec-May without any issues.
Bingo!

I have lived in the midwest most of my life and love the changes in seasons. Now that we are semiretired and spend much more time outdoors, weather has become an issue. Tucson in the late fall and winter is near perfect weather and great biking and hiking. The northern suburb Oro Valley has many snowbirds and has especially easy living.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm
iamblessed wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:20 pm I hate the summers here in MO. Any affordable state with low humidity?
New Mexico?
Yeah maybe northern NM, WY or UT.
Last edited by iamblessed on Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Every places sucks, you just don't know it yet. Your hatred of winter will transfer to traffic, humidity, nothing to do, wildfires, hurricanes, tourists, housing prices, 110F summers, or whatever that local has.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

I’m in DC and I hate the weather. No winters, humidity is miserable in the summer and for the past 10 years it’s generally hotter. There is no spring, fall is a weird time of the leaves falling, but still too hot.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

ballons wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 pm Every places sucks, you just don't know it yet. Your hatred of winter will transfer to traffic, humidity, nothing to do, wildfires, hurricanes, tourists, housing prices, 110F summers, or whatever that local has.
Spot-on. Pick your poison.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The only time I ever disliked the weather where I lived was when we were living in Seattle. I remember the first winter we had there in 2013 where it seemed like it rained every single day for months. The days are extremely short too in the winter which means even on the rare sunny day in winter it doesn't last very long. There is even a term called "sunbreaks" out there for this. The summers were okay, but most years cool and too short. The last few years (2017 and on) it seemed like we'd have one month of summer then the smoke from the wildfires would come, then it would start raining. There was only one real fall that I recall in 2019.

I grew up in PA and lived in OH before moving to WA. The whole time I was in WA I missed snowy cold winters, the smells of spring and especially fall, fireflies, and the sounds of bugs in the summer. I am back in PA now and have all this, but live near Lake Erie which moderates the extremes of temperature. I think it's pretty much the best weather I've found. I love that we get quite a bit of snow in the winter (although from what I understand, 2020 was more an average year). I like to get out the snowshoes and walk down to Lake Erie in the winter and see the frozen beach. I love walking when snow is falling. I love snowblowing the driveway, raking leaves, seeing everything come alive in spring, and eating ice cream on a ridiculously hot day. Four seasons for life!
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I live in Chicago, and feel similar. I love the city, but the winter months, lack of sun, and outdoor activities make it challenging. I take my beach vacations during the winter, and try to stay in town during the summer to enjoy it. If the weather was nicer, this place would be a heck lot more expensive. I do constantly day dream about living somewhere warmer, however I would misss the city. Decisions decisions.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Rdytoretire wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 am There are only a few places in this country where the weather is "good" year round. Most places it's a matter of pick your poison. Although I don't like winter weather here in the midwest I'll gladly put up with it rather than live through 6 months of unrelenting heat and/or humidity that those in Florida or Arizona may experience.

Although if you live somewhere like Buffalo or in the snowbelt, all that snow would surely make me want to move. I don't care much for walking or driving on snow and ice.
Only a few places be perfect weather, but there are definitely places that fall somewhere in the middle. Your choices aren’t just “brutal winters” or “southern Florida”, but a lot of BHs tend to frame them that way
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
squirm

Post by squirm »

Everything equals out. In general you'll pay one way or the other.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I wouldn't say that weather is the primary issue here (San Jose, CA), but after 25+ years of living in California, I am definitely tired of the long hot summers, fire seasons, droughts, scant rainfall, no snow, etc. Last year's summer of fires, smoke, and 95+ degree temperatures was just miserable.

Having just retired, I will be moving out of state next year. Cashing out of my overpriced real estate is the primary motivation, but weather is important too. I haven't decided on the destination yet, but almost all of the candidates were chosen in part because they have four seasons including real winter with snow, enough rainfall that everything isn't brown and fire-prone for half the year, and summers that don't stretch out for 6+ months like they do here.

Can't say I'm looking forward to summer humidity, but I'll take it in order to get the other stuff. Nowhere is perfect. :D
Last edited by Bungo on Thu May 06, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Hate? No. Sometimes I wish it was a little warmer, or a little colder, or it wouldn't rain so much, or we need some rain..... In TX now where the summer gets really warm, but I've lived in states where the winters are really cold with snow and ice. I just tell myself it will only be a few months, and then people in those other states will wish they were where I am.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

ballons wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 pm Every places sucks, you just don't know it yet. Your hatred of winter will transfer to traffic, humidity, nothing to do, wildfires, hurricanes, tourists, housing prices, 110F summers, or whatever that local has.
Now I'm depressed... :oops:

We've picked a potential area for retirement, which we'll visit in mid to late June.

Traffic - no
Winter - not really
Hurricanes - no
Tourists - no
Wildfires - no
Nothing to do - Maybe... :twisted:
Housing prices - yeah, some of that now, we'll likely wait
110F summers - 90ish

I will be building my personal brewery for retirement, and ideally we'll be living on a lake, lying in a hammock doing nothing some days, fishing other days, telling my wife "no, I'm not doing that today" most days...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

It’s all about picking a place where the good stuff is stuff that’s important to you, and the bad stuff is stuff that doesn’t matter as much.

As far as the original question...Seattle. Is lovely in the summer. It’s the other 10 months every year that give it the reputation. And it isn’t even really about the weather, which isn’t all that bad. It’s the lack of daylight. The months of drizzle, when there’s only about 7 hours of sketchy daylight per day. We lasted 3 1/2 winters. Full spectrum lights in the breakfast nook. Expensive winter vacations to the tropics. A gas fireplace that got used so much one winter, that our gas bill was $200 one month. That stuff helps, but doesn’t replace living in a place with sunshine. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing.

Southern California now. Much happier.
ballons

Post by ballons »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 pm
Now I'm depressed... :oops:

We've picked a potential area for retirement, which we'll visit in mid to late June.

Traffic - no
Winter - not really
Hurricanes - no
Tourists - no
Wildfires - no
Nothing to do - Maybe... :twisted:
Housing prices - yeah, some of that now, we'll likely wait
110F summers - 90ish

I will be building my personal brewery for retirement, and ideally we'll be living on a lake, lying in a hammock doing nothing some days, fishing other days, telling my wife "no, I'm not doing that today" most days...
Grass is always greener on the other side. Whatever the locals call the worst time of the year to visit, that is the time you should visit.

boredom = rural internet sucks, friends/kids/grandkids don't show up as often as you thought, etc.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

Google "Focusing Illusion"

Sure, you might hate the weather, but moving won't necessarily increase your happiness level. In fact, it might decrease it.

Basically this idea is that everything has a tradeoff, and people who are miserable in Ohio weather are probably going to miserable in California weather. In fact, if you check out "most livable" or "happiest" cities, you'll find they're often cold climate cities for various reason ranging from hours of sleep to weather to community to activities, etc.

I have friends who have moved to Texas... and I just don't understand the desire to live somewhere that it's simply butthole hot most of the year (and the cost of living is skyrocketing if you want to be anywhere near a metro area).

Snowbirds pay for that luxury. I can't imagine moving around like that. Again, that's me.

Anyway, where you live is deeply personal, so it's not like "you're wrong", it's just sometimes we put a disproportionate weight on things. One of my best friends moved away because his wife "hated Ohio winters". Now, they're thinking about moving again because "Dallas traffic sucks". Focusing Illusion.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

sureshoe wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:38 pmSure, you might hate the weather, but moving won't necessarily increase your happiness level. In fact, it might decrease it.
Certainly my experience. Of the places I've lived, how much I enjoyed living there has an almost perfectly inverse relationship with how "good" the weather is.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather.
At least you have the Bills!!!

--- Brian / #Bills_Mafia
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Topic Author
JV

Post by JV »

brian91480 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather.

--- Brian / #Bills_Mafia
Except that I'm from Long Island and a die hard J...E...T...S...JETS...JETS...JETS fan...!
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

The jet stream is getting wobbly. Ironically global warming is faster in the Arctic so the jet stream is weaker and there are more "Arctic express" cold events in middle latitudes. According to the weather channel, the northern US is in one for the next 10 days or so, then it gets warmer. I moved to NM from New England.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
dbr

Post by dbr »

No, east coast, west coast, mountain west, or upper midwest I have never lived somewhere that I couldn't stand due to the weather. It helps to be fine with a cold winter.

I think I would not do well with most of the real south east though, but you never know.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm
brian91480 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:49 pm

--- Brian / #Bills_Mafia
Except that I'm from Long Island and a die hard J...E...T...S...JETS...JETS...JETS fan...!
Jets? What a colossal disappointment you are! 😉

Go Bills! 😀👍

As for your post... I'm in Minnesota. I can relate to this question. But I have many friends and family are here. This trumps weather. That will be the ultimate decision that you need to decide for yourself.

At the very least... you have nice upcoming summer weather to look forward to!
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

JV wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:14 pm Except that I'm from Long Island and a die hard J...E...T...S...JETS...JETS...JETS fan...!
If you're a Jets fan, then I suspect it's not the weather that's making you miserable...
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:36 pm Fargo, ND has some of the worst weather, most of the year. Always cold.

We use to live in Grand Forks. I noted that there were four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.
The Sensible Steward
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

alfaspider wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:38 pm
New Mexico?
Idaho and Utah can be very affordable as well. So is rural Arizona and parts of Nevada and west Texas, but heat is generally a big issue with all them.
The Sensible Steward
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Of course! Thinking of Florida someday!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

"Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?"

No of course not.

If I hated the weather where I live I would not live here.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Trader Joe wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm "Anyone hate where they live primarily because of the weather?"

No of course not.

If I hated the weather where I live I would not live here.
:sharebeer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
camroontheprune

Post by camroontheprune »

I'm loving how miserable this lot is. You're my kind of people! :sharebeer

I live in south Alabama and knew I'd hate it even before we moved but was desperate for a job change. :oops: As someone else already pointed out - heat, humidity, hurricanes. And no mountains.

Went to grad school at Virginia Tech. Now Blacksburg, my friends, well...that was heaven on earth.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

deleted
Last edited by Big Heart on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anhonymous

Post by anhonymous »

OP:

You have probably lived more number of years in that weather compared my time in similar weather. so not one to give you guidance. Yet in these last 18 most as I worked from home I found out ways to mitigate the gloom. On any sunny day - anytime during the day I would try to step outside and take a quick walk. Around February or so - middle of winter we would try to take few days off to a warmer location in south. You may laugh at my next tip but almost every day I stared at google maps photos of sunny locales like LA.. Somehow that used to lift my spirits.. Someone mentioned spas-- when the gyms were open I used to spend time in swim pool area, sauna -- all to somehow get a bit of summer into my body during these dreary winter months. finally I am also trying to love snow activities --I know you said you don't but may be pick one that you can do.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

willthrill81 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 pm
We use to live in Grand Forks. I noted that there were four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.
Grand Forks does have slightly worse weather than Fargo.

Embarrass, Minnesota beats both. 🤭
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

Lived in NY state (gardening zone 5) for several years. Long winters (though not as bad as other places). Around March, I would get really sick of the cold. Come late April/early May... lovely. Then late October after the leaves fell, dreary again. Yeah, some beautiful snowfalls & Christmases.

To me, it was the duration of winter that was hard to take. Moving to northern Virginia (zone 7 I believe) made such a huge positive difference. Plus sunshine. Had to put up with longer hotter summers In exchange for more sunshine & shorter winter. Have since moved again further south to zone 8. Occasional snow but lots of sunshine.

Think about whether it is the cold or the duration of winter or a lack of sunshine that affects you.

Sunshine is a big factor for me. Some places are quite grey and I would rather have sunny & cold than grey & warm. But everyone is different.

Many people from the northeast retire in Florida or deep south, only to discover they really miss 4 seasons. Many places have 4 seasons without long winters or brutal cold. No way I want to shovel heavy snow in my 70s & beyond.

Just more food for thought.
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

WillRetire wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:43 pm Lived in NY state (gardening zone 5) for several years. Long winters (though not as bad as other places). Around March, I would get really sick of the cold. Come late April/early May... lovely. Then late October after the leaves fell, dreary again. Yeah, some beautiful snowfalls & Christmases.

To me, it was the duration of winter that was hard to take. Moving to northern Virginia (zone 7 I believe) made such a huge positive difference. Plus sunshine. Had to put up with longer hotter summers In exchange for more sunshine & shorter winter. Have since moved again further south to zone 8. Occasional snow but lots of sunshine.

Think about whether it is the cold or the duration of winter or a lack of sunshine that affects you.

Sunshine is a big factor for me. Some places are quite grey and I would rather have sunny & cold than grey & warm. But everyone is different.

Many people from the northeast retire in Florida or deep south, only to discover they really miss 4 seasons. Many places have 4 seasons without long winters or brutal cold. No way I want to shovel heavy snow in my 70s & beyond.

Just more food for thought.
ETA: Regardless of where you live, do go outside and try to enjoy it in all seasons. Good to have beautiful places to walk, and quality outerwear. I walk my dog in all kinds of weather (though rarely below 20 F): wind, rain, snow, heat. Can't do much about the heat except to go early in morning. For cold/rain/wind/snow, lots of ways to suit up to stay dry & warm. It can actually be enjoyable.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

“They drove south one winter until they could stand outside with no coats on and we never saw them again.”

Ten great years in Madison Wisconsin in our retirement jobs. Darn it was cold and the winters were long. We drove south in December one year to coastal South Carolina to our new home five minutes from the beach. Alas though, humidity, high temperatures, hurricanes, and alligators but still better than -14°.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I live in Western NY (WNY), and have for the past 27 years. As time has gone by, my disdain for this area has grown more severe each year, mainly because of the horrid weather. It's May 5 and I'm still in a sweatshirt and sleeping in flannel sheets, and have been since last Oct. It's not the WNY weather alone, it's all the northeast, as coworkers and friends often feel the same who live in this zone. I don't enjoy cold-weather activities (e.g. skiing, etc.); I actually hate the feeling of being cold. Perhaps my body is just getting less and less acclimated, who knows.

"So just move," you say? The issue is that we've carved out a life here and make very good money, on track to retire in early to mid-50's with a pension for my wife, plus our kids are mid-to-late teens who will either graduate or will in a couple of years. My wife and I often discuss her leaving work early, moving, and me continuing to work, primarily for health benefits. Lots of changes are coming with my kids in the next couple of years, but I am finding that I just can't handle the weather anymore. By the gods, I just want to open a damn window! :oops:

I was mainly just curious if others are or have been in this boat, and what you have done to mitigate those feelings. The pandemic nixed travel all of last year, plus we are trapped within a school calendar, so traveling together has not been easy. I honestly may just escape for a week or two in the winter, alone if I have to.

Suggestions? Sorry for this sounding like a "vent" post. I'm honestly just searching for ideas.
Hi fellow WNYer. I've lived here for going on 79 yrs. Last winter was not bad and I think,do to Climate Change, things will continue to get warmer. WNY, In fact is projected to the place to be in future due the effects of climate change. We have 20% of the world fresh water supply just for starters. So hang in there, you may be sitting in the cat bird seat and not realize it.
All the Best, | Joe
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

ensign_lee wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:22 pm Yes, but for the opposite reasons. I'm down in Houston, and wow I can't even go outside now because when it's high 80s with near 90% humidity it feels awful. And it's only going to get worse from here as TX goes through Summer.

GF doesn't want to move though....even though we could afford it.
That's interesting. I always thought Florida was one of the most humid places, but we don't have high humidity here yet. Probably not for another month.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

I grew up in Rochester NY so know your pain OP. I would literally travel to work with a shovel because the city was so well equipped for lake effect snow that businesses would just never shut down. 6 years ago we moved to Indianapolis, not necessarily for better weather but for better jobs and cheaper taxes across the board. One thing I didn’t appreciate was just how gloomy Rochester got during the winter. Indy is by no means California but I suspect any city with even marginally more sunlight overall will make a big difference. One other thing I didn’t really think about was location in the time zone - we’re in the very western fringe of EST so in summers it’s light out light much later, which is awesome for just about anything you’re doing outdoors (except fireworks). It’s grossly muggy here in the summer just like any other mid-west city, but as others point out very few places in the US offer perfect weather.