TSA PreCheck question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KESP

TSA PreCheck question

Post by KESP »

I am traveling with my daughter this summer, and I've decided to apply for TSA PreCheck. My daughter is very likely to get married in the next year and will have a name change. Does that make her TSA PreCheck worthless? I think for a passport you have to pay again when you change your name, even if there's years left on it.
RickBoglehead

Re: TSA PreCheck question

Post by RickBoglehead »

Passport only requires fees if you change it outside the first year.

TSA Precheck would need to be changed. Does not involve a fee that I see mentioned anywhere.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
KESP

Post by KESP »

Thank you!
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Since you're on the subject, you can travel under a maiden name if you don't want to deal with changing the passport. CBP website is clear that it's possible, but you're supposed to bring some proof of the name progression: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US

If you rarely travel abroad it's not a big deal.

Note also that many premium travel credit cards have TSA Pre reimbursement, which will basically pay you back for the annual CC fee right there.
Topic Author
KESP

Post by KESP »

Never heard that. I will pass that info on to my daughter. Thank you.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

KESP wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 am I am traveling with my daughter this summer, and I've decided to apply for TSA PreCheck. My daughter is very likely to get married in the next year and will have a name change.
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 am Since you're on the subject, you can travel under a maiden name if you don't want to deal with changing the passport. CBP website is clear that it's possible, but you're supposed to bring some proof of the name progression: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US
Entirely your daughter's call, of course, but my life has been greatly simplified by keeping my maiden name throughout my entire life. Never had to change any records for name changes.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 am
KESP wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:50 am I am traveling with my daughter this summer, and I've decided to apply for TSA PreCheck. My daughter is very likely to get married in the next year and will have a name change.
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:14 am Since you're on the subject, you can travel under a maiden name if you don't want to deal with changing the passport. CBP website is clear that it's possible, but you're supposed to bring some proof of the name progression: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US
Entirely her call, of course, but my life has been greatly simplified by keeping my maiden name throughout my entire life. Never had to change any records on that account.
My wife did not change her name, because she did not like the way her name would sound. But yes, it is also easier for professional or other purposes.
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

If you travel at all internationally, pay the extra $20 and get Global Entry instead of TSA pre-check. Makes clearing immigration and customs much easier.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

hi_there wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:55 am
dodecahedron wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 am
Entirely her call, of course, but my life has been greatly simplified by keeping my maiden name throughout my entire life. Never had to change any records on that account.
My wife did not change her name, because she did not like the way her name would sound. But yes, it is also easier for professional or other purposes.
I can relate to your wife's reasoning. My name would have had an excessively alliterative singsong quality (with first, middle, and surnames all beginning with the same consonant) had I taken my husband's surname.

That said, my own mother has always said she disliked her maiden name and felt my dad's name was a definite "upgrade."

My husband was perfectly fine with me keeping my maiden name, but my dad disapproved of me keeping it. My mom pointed out to my dad that he should have felt honored that I wanted to continue to keep *his* name.

It is indeed easier not to change names.

I know someone who has been married three times (short first marriage ending in divorce with no children, long second marriage with children ending in widowhood, and long third marriage with more children and still ongoing.) She only changed her name the first time and still bears her first husband's name (almost 40 years later) because her important early professional track record was under that name. Everyone (including the subsequent husbands) seems happy enough that I have heard no complaints.
dbr

Post by dbr »

My wife is very happy to have kept her maiden name with all sorts of simplification and advantages.

Keeping straight that she really is the natural mother of children who don't have her last name has been a non-issue. We would never have taken the hyphenation route.

I know families where the children alternate taking the mother's or the father's last name.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

plasticofantastico wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am If you travel at all internationally, pay the extra $20 and get Global Entry instead of TSA pre-check. Makes clearing immigration and customs much easier.
Very good point, especially if a CC is covering it anyway.
dbr

Post by dbr »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:24 am
plasticofantastico wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am If you travel at all internationally, pay the extra $20 and get Global Entry instead of TSA pre-check. Makes clearing immigration and customs much easier.
Also agree with that.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Why not having the name change when passport and TSAPre are due for renewal ?
As a side note, Global Entry is a lot better than TSAPre. For only $15 more one gets special lines at immigration.
N10sive

Post by N10sive »

In my experience if you have TSA precheck and book tickets for others, they also get the TSA precheck. Although the rules contradict this in over 13 years old should receive their own. You could check. Meaning you could apply for TSA precheck and just purchase your daughters ticket.

I also second just getting global entry if you travel international. Even once it is worth it to me.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

A friend's son got married and he took her name. For professional reasons, she needed to keep her name.
rmdashrfsplat

Post by rmdashrfsplat »

dbr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
Also agree with that.
I agree global entry is more useful but in my experience, it's been much easier to schedule precheck vs global entry initial screenings - both locations and appt availability. Mileage will vary depending upon where you live, however.
Topic Author
KESP

Post by KESP »

OP here. So funny there have been suggestions to not change her name. I deeply regret changing my name. It mattered to my husband and being young and dumb, I listened to him. My maiden name is very Irish. I feel like I lost my heritage a little bit when I took my husband’s name. I’ll suggest it to her, but I don’t think she’s very attached to her last name. Now I feel it’s too much work for me to change it back.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

rmdashrfsplat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:47 pm
dbr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
Also agree with that.
I agree global entry is more useful but in my experience, it's been much easier to schedule precheck vs global entry initial screenings - both locations and appt availability. Mileage will vary depending upon where you live, however.
+1 on this. If you aren't going to travel internationally often I wouldn't bother with Global Entry. For precheck my wife went into some local business that obviously has a contract with CBP and basically showed her ID. For Global Entry you have to schedule an interview at one of a limited number of CBP offices (most the major US airports). If you live near one it's not a big deal, but you might not and have to travel if you don't live in a major city.

In addition, the approval process can take much longer with Global Entry. Granted I submitted my app at the beginning of COVID, but it was 10 months before I was approved (keeping in mind i hold several different "clearances" of sorts from the USG so I know it wasn't a personal thing holding it up). My niece on the other hand submitted her application in December and was approved within three days. YMMV
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pmFor Global Entry you have to schedule an interview at one of a limited number of CBP offices (most the major US airports). If you live near one it's not a big deal, but you might not and have to travel if you don't live in a major city.
There is an option to do your interview on your first arrival if that's easier: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... nt-arrival
TechieTechie

Post by TechieTechie »

Agree. I travel a LOT and global entry has saved literally dozens of hours in my life. Love it. If your local precheck is booked for interviews, drive or schedule a quick flight to a small airport, it's SO easy. Also, normally GE takes about a month to get approved...it's not crazy painful, just plan in advance.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 pm
ScubaHogg wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 pmFor Global Entry you have to schedule an interview at one of a limited number of CBP offices (most the major US airports). If you live near one it's not a big deal, but you might not and have to travel if you don't live in a major city.
There is an option to do your interview on your first arrival if that's easier: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... nt-arrival
Wouldn’t work for my schedule, but I’m curious how that works in the COVID world, where some offices aren’t doing interviews, some have limited time windows, and some don’t accept walk ins?
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:24 pm
That's what my husband and I did. Our closest international airport did not do the interviews and there was a 3-month wait at the next closest. We usually travel internationally at least a couple of times each year, so we did the option to interview at first arrival from an international destination. Worked great, only took 5 minutes. Much better than driving 7 hours or flying an hour to do an in-person interview.