Kitchen faucet selection

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tigermilk

Kitchen faucet selection

Post by tigermilk »

There are some older threads discussing this, but I didn't see anything more recent than about 3 years old, in the midst of a kitchen renovation and need to decide on a faucet. Originally leaned Brizo b8t why has quality control concerns. Waterstone looks solid, but they tend to be pricey (definitely not going for the $5k models!). Looking for a problem free pull down, single hole, faucet in the $500 To $1500 range, perhaps a little higher. Any recommendations?
RickBoglehead

Re: Kitchen faucet selection

Post by RickBoglehead »

That sounds like a car purchase, not a faucet... I'd be doing a $200 or less Moen or Delta. Good luck, sounds like quite a thing.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I went to the Home Depot and picked one of the pricier ones from their Wall of Faucets. Don't remember the brand but it was a name brand. Looks great and works perfectly well.

There is a definite rabbit hole aspect to buying this sort of thing.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Not nearly as expensive as what you plan on...I bought this and have been using it for 3 years. Great faucet and great looking too. Plummer said it was easy to install and made of high quality parts. I would definitely buy another one if I had the need.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
stan1

Post by stan1 »

We have a Waterstone Hunley Suite in Chrome. Very happy with it after 5 years. No signs of degradation in the finish or malfunction.
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm That sounds like a car purchase, not a faucet... I'd be doing a $200 or less Moen or Delta. Good luck, sounds like quite a thing.
Largely in agreement. I don't know what 1500 gets you over 2, 3, $500 will.

Our 2-300 faucet has the pull down, magnetic "lock", some upgraded internals, and some fancy and useful spray options. Unsure what else to benefit from.

One suggestion, if you haven't determined yet, I strongly recommend one large, extra deep sink basin!

We almost went with the tradition two-basin normal sink. Mostly on a meh we chose the extra deep (only 1" more I think?), one-basin sink. Huge improvement.

Post by 123 »

If that $500 - $1,500 are hard limits the easiest things to do is go online at Amazon, Lowes, or Home Depot and find something you like. To bump the price up into your range then order the same faucet from a plumber who will install it. Getting it from a plumber with installation can easily triple (or more) the purchase price. Everyone is happy. You get your $500+ faucet and you help the plumber get his yacht.

Sometimes the more you pay for staples and durables the more likely they are to require replacement. Trendy finishes stain, fade, or crack and/or special electronic/mechanical features break. Sometimes designer stuff fits great in a new installation where you everything is cut to fit it but can require retrofit work to make it work as a replacement. Sometimes the hole size in the countertop is not the only parameter you have to be concerned with.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

I think at the stated price range, it is more about style than function.

I will say that when I bought mine, I specifically wanted one that would hold the temperature position between turning it on and off and that provided mostly laminar flow when not on the spray pattern at all flow levels.

What you like could possibly also depend on the water pressure at your home.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

gr7070 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm That sounds like a car purchase, not a faucet... I'd be doing a $200 or less Moen or Delta. Good luck, sounds like quite a thing.
Largely in agreement. I don't know what 1500 gets you over 2, 3, $500 will.

Our 2-300 faucet has the pull down, magnetic "lock", some upgraded internals, and some fancy and useful spray options. Unsure what else to benefit from.

One suggestion, if you haven't determined yet, I strongly recommend one large, extra deep sink basin!

We almost went with the tradition two-basin normal sink. Mostly on a meh we chose the extra deep (only 1" more I think?), one-basin sink. Huge improvement.
It gets you this, apparently:

"INSPIRATIONS
A genuine blend of art with technology. Inspired by a Civil War submarine, the Hunley’s innovative design has a touch of the past with today’s quality and craftsmanship. The Hunley Faucet Suite is perfect for modern kitchen designs. Hunley’s stunning look will become the centerpiece of your contemporary style kitchen design and enhance any cooking."

1 - I'm not sure how a faucet becomes the centerpiece of your kitchen, and we have a simple kitchen
2 - How does it "enhance any cooking" - wow
Marketing at its best - that's what a $1500+ faucet gets you.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

We went with Kraus brand from Overstock a year ago. Very reasonable and we love it. I can't find the paperwork for the model, but its the pull down. I see several for $169. As for HIGH END, our BIL gave us a $1800 faucet taken from their flooded home. It was so ugly, we sold it and went with the Kraus. My sink has the 90s window into the living room, so wanted something that did not stand out...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (faucet).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cwise

Post by Cwise »

We installed the Kohler Sensate Touchless. This is one of the absolute most convenient faucets we have ever used. The sensor is underneath the gooseneck so no dripping on the actual faucet to activate it (on or off). https://www.us.kohler.com/us/sensate-to ... dId=915093
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

I like this Kohler faucet with the "sweep spray." Faucet works well and the spray is effective.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Simp ... /202060532
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

picked up a Moen last year and installed. It felt cheap and plasticky, though they all felt that way at local Box. The old one it was replacing was like 20 pounds of metal.

Got me wondering if this is just the type of item you replace now every 5-10 years. Mine is holding up fine, but, its been on my mind since.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

We are fans of Gerber Danze Parma.
Excellent experience.
We have a modern house/kitchen. And, we cook a lot.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed May 05, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

We have this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Sous ... /206086636

We like it so much, we've bought it twice (installed it at our last house, then installed the same one in our current house when we moved a couple years later).

I think I'm less cheap than most bogleheads, but the idea of spending $1000, much less $1500 on a faucet is jaw dropping to me. Before this thread if you asked me what a high end kitchen faucet goes for, I would have probably said around $300.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I bought this Delta faucet on December 19, 2018 for our kitchen remodel. Price now $212.08 + sales tax w/Amazon Prime.

Delta Faucet Essa Single-Handle Bar-Prep Kitchen Sink Faucet with Pull Down Sprayer and Magnetic Docking Spray Head, Matte Black 9913-BL-DST
Color: Matte Black

I have had decent lifespans from our Moen, and Delta faucets over the years. The builder used good quality faucets, though some were replaced during remodels.

There is a lot of crap out there, not surprising that some plumbing fixtures are becoming throw-away items like toasters and TVs have become.

As little time as DW spends in the kitchen, this faucet is sure to outlast both of us! :D

Broken Man 1999
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

F150HD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm picked up a Moen last year and installed. It felt cheap and plasticky, though they all felt that way at local Box. The old one it was replacing was like 20 pounds of metal.

Got me wondering if this is just the type of item you replace now every 5-10 years. Mine is holding up fine, but, its been on my mind since.
Many people don't realize that Moen and Delta faucets are warrantied for life. I don't buy new faucets, they send me parts for free. Very disposable world we live in, people toss stuff and buy new without thinking about it.

Moen® products have been manufactured under the highest standards of quality and workmanship. Moen warrants to the original consumer purchaser for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns their home (the "Warranty Period" for homeowners), that this faucet will be leak- and drip-free during normal use and all parts and finishes of this faucet will be free from defects in material and manufacturing workmanship.

All parts (other than electronic parts and batteries) and finishes of Delta® faucets purchased from authorized Delta sellers are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the home in which the faucet was first installed.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

surfstar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:46 pm "INSPIRATIONS
A genuine blend of art with technology. Inspired by a Civil War submarine, the Hunley’s innovative design has a touch of the past with today’s quality and craftsmanship. The Hunley Faucet Suite is perfect for modern kitchen designs. Hunley’s stunning look will become the centerpiece of your contemporary style kitchen design and enhance any cooking."

1 - I'm not sure how a faucet becomes the centerpiece of your kitchen, and we have a simple kitchen
2 - How does it "enhance any cooking" - wow
Marketing at its best - that's what a $1500+ faucet gets you.
1. Apparently some of us have no appreciation for the finer expressions of the plumber's art.

2. Does anybody else find getting artistic inspiration from a Civil War submarine...just a bit...weird??
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:52 pm Delta Faucet Essa Single-Handle Bar-Prep Kitchen Sink Faucet with Pull Down Sprayer and Magnetic Docking Spray Head, Matte Black 9913-BL-DST
We went through same model https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012I ... UTF8&psc=1 last year in Kitchen remodel.
Only thing one need to be careful about is avail. of electric connection nearby else one has to run always with battery.
It required some level of experience to get used to it but we love it. It reduces water waste as you can touch anyplace to start or stop. Guests hate it because they can't figure it out quickly...
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

"And, as we enter the kitchen, you'll see that all our faucets, and our garbage disposal (opens cabinet to show garbage disposal) have been designed by Andy Warhol. We felt that the artistic expression exhibited each time we ran the disposal was well worth the $3,499 cost (pre-installation)." :oops:

I readily admit I have zero appreciate for art. I want to buy a pre-wash faucet for my future home brewery, but it won't be pretty, merely functional. And I'll have a big industrial restaurant sink, all stainless, likely used. :twisted:
Broken Man 1999

NYGiantsFan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:52 pm Delta Faucet Essa Single-Handle Bar-Prep Kitchen Sink Faucet with Pull Down Sprayer and Magnetic Docking Spray Head, Matte Black 9913-BL-DST
We went through same model https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012I ... UTF8&psc=1 last year in Kitchen remodel.
Only thing one need to be careful about is avail. of electric connection nearby else one has to run always with battery.
It required some level of experience to get used to it but we love it. It reduces water waste as you can touch anyplace to start or stop. Guests hate it because they can't figure it out quickly...
We didn't go with the "touch" or "voice" activated version. Hopefully the two new styles are as reliable as the plain old faucets.

I wonder how my grandmother would have liked the modern faucets. She had the hand-powered pump in her original kitchen. She came to our hometown in a covered wagon, lived to see jet airplane travel.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Bogle7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:38 pm We are fans of Gerber Danze Parma.
Excellent experience.
This type of faucet always seemed like it would get grimy and be difficult to clean. Is that true?
Bogle7

Re: Kitchen faucet cleaning

Post by Bogle7 »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:32 pmThis type of faucet always seemed like it would get grimy and be difficult to clean. Is that true?
I clean it twice a year with a Windex-soaked rag. 'Round and 'round it goes.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Mine.... https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 ....which has the coils all close together....does not seem to get grimy. I don't recall ever cleaning it and just checked and it is not yucky.

Could be because your hands are never on that part and nothing splashes up that high.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm "And, as we enter the kitchen, you'll see that all our faucets, and our garbage disposal (opens cabinet to show garbage disposal) have been designed by Andy Warhol. We felt that the artistic expression exhibited each time we ran the disposal was well worth the $3,499 cost (pre-installation)." :oops:

I readily admit I have zero appreciate for art. I want to buy a pre-wash faucet for my future home brewery, but it won't be pretty, merely functional. And I'll have a big industrial restaurant sink, all stainless, likely used. :twisted:
"industrial" is a décor now
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:21 pm
NYGiantsFan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:08 pm
We didn't go with the "touch" or "voice" activated version. Hopefully the two new styles are as reliable as the plain old faucets.

I wonder how my grandmother would have liked the modern faucets. She had the hand-powered pump in her original kitchen. She came to our hometown in a covered wagon, lived to see jet airplane travel.

Broken Man 1999
It has been fairly reliable so far since installation in 2020 Jan.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

surfstar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm "And, as we enter the kitchen, you'll see that all our faucets, and our garbage disposal (opens cabinet to show garbage disposal) have been designed by Andy Warhol. We felt that the artistic expression exhibited each time we ran the disposal was well worth the $3,499 cost (pre-installation)." :oops:

When I'm done with it it won't be.... :D
Broken Man 1999

I wonder if I should leave the cabinets below the kitchen sink open so my garbage disposal could be admired.

I bought a nice Waste King on Amazon on sale for around a $100 bucks, larger in HP than the one replaced when the original died. The old one was working, but it made sense to replace as it was part of the remodel. So we are on our third one since 1999. The current one has lifetime guarantee parts and labor. Should last our lifetime.

Broken Man 1999
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:23 pm
surfstar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:06 pm

When I'm done with it it won't be.... :D
Actually, a used industrial restaurant sink could be considered "industrial chic" and edgy. I'm jealous. :mrgreen:
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

tigermilk wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:00 pmLooking for a problem free pull down, single hole, faucet in the $500 To $1500 range, perhaps a little higher. Any recommendations?
I have one similar to this: https://www.grohe.us/Single-Hole-Pull-D ... E-32298003

18 years of problem-free service so far.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pmMany people don't realize that Moen and Delta faucets are warrantied for life.
Life or until they don't make the part(s) anymore.

Personal experience with Delta...
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Andy Warhol would have bought a cheap one from the Home Depot and declared it to be art.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pm
F150HD wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:24 pm picked up a Moen last year and installed. It felt cheap and plasticky, though they all felt that way at local Box. The old one it was replacing was like 20 pounds of metal.

Many people don't realize that Moen and Delta faucets are warrantied for life. I don't buy new faucets, they send me parts for free. Very disposable world we live in, people toss stuff and buy new without thinking about it.

Moen® products have been manufactured under the highest standards of quality and workmanship. Moen warrants to the original consumer purchaser for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns their home (the "Warranty Period" for homeowners), that this faucet will be leak- and drip-free during normal use and all parts and finishes of this faucet will be free from defects in material and manufacturing workmanship.

All parts (other than electronic parts and batteries) and finishes of Delta® faucets purchased from authorized Delta sellers are warranted to the original consumer purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns the home in which the faucet was first installed.
:thumbsup I keep all boxes/receipts for such a thing, a concern was about being able to buy parts to fix X, Y or Z in 10 years. it just doesn't feel built well for the price I paid. Anyway, its holding up fine so far.
Topic Author
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Appreciate the comments. Reason for an "expensive" faucet is that

1) had cheap big box ones for 30 years and they tend to start leaking
2) those cheaper ones often lack style; our kitchen renovation is putting in quality cabinets, Cambria tops, etc. Faucet should be in line with the rest
3) we have saved for 30 years, so why not splurge a little
4) there are high quality, lesser known, brands out there but because of that reviews are fewer and further between so direct experience is always appreciated
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

BolderBoy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:54 pmMany people don't realize that Moen and Delta faucets are warrantied for life.
Life or until they don't make the part(s) anymore.

Personal experience with Delta...
Another catch with Delta is the electronics for the touch activated is only 5 years. I got bit by that limit.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
donaldc

Post by donaldc »

Consider the upscale brand of Delta - Brizo or the upscale brand of hansgrohe -Axor. I have Axor Stark kitchen faucet. Brizo and Axor have better design than their mainstream brands.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I went to Lowes and picked one off of the shelf. It seems to be working out.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

Waterstone products are made in the USA, that is worth a premium to some.

I went with a Blanco sink and faucet - they have a lifetime warranty. My sprayer attachment developed a leak and they sent out new parts.
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

I would suggest Delta. Don't get the fancy touch or other electronic feature ones. The no-spot option finish is nice.

They have held up very well in about 5 installs at various houses. You can switch the stream on them and they are easy to clean. Lastly they have two things that make their nozzle hose extension the best out there - both a magnet & a weight on the hose that help make it smooth to pull out and easy to put back perfectly. They're reasonably priced and even if the lifetime warranty lacks parts in the distant future, I think we will have gotten our money's worth.