Struggling to get a refund from AirIndia amidst COVID second wave

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GuruNinja

Struggling to get a refund from AirIndia amidst COVID second wave

Post by GuruNinja »

I have had the most stressful experience with Air India.

On April 27th I called the airline to book 3 tickets for my family from Mumbai to Newark for 3rd May.
The agent on the phone confirmed he made my booking, took a payment from me and said that my tickets will reach me in 2 hours by email. My debit card was charged the entire amount on INR 396,591 on April 27 and I waited for 24 hours and called back to be told that they had not issued my ticket (despite having taken the payment). So now they could only give me tickets for a flight on 5th May as 3rd May flight was full.

On 30th April pm ist, Biden government put an end to Indian citizens coming into US from India after 4th May. Throughout the weekend my family and I kept calling Air India to ask what their policy is in this matter but they kept saying their policy has not been updated. Finally, on 3rd May, Monday I am being told that it’s my problem that my family cannot get on the flight; so I have to pay cancellation charges for flight on 5th May.

Seeking Immediate advice to help get a full refund! 

Re: Struggling to get a refund from AirIndia amidst COVID second wave

Post by 123 »

I suspect there is some chance the flight could be canceled if it's an Indian Airline and Indian citizens will be prohibited from landing in the US. (I assume this would include aircraft crew).

Monitor flight status and hope that it gets canceled. If the airline cancels you can probably get a refund.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

I have been trying to get refund for ticket I booked for my parent. No luck so far
Topic Author
GuruNinja

Post by GuruNinja »

mighty72 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:55 pm I have been trying to get refund for ticket I booked for my parent. No luck so far
@mighty72 how long has it been for you?
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

Over a year. You can try writing to aviation ministry, I think it's called air seva.
Also, I wouldn't bank on the flight being cancelled. The restrictions don't apply to US citizens and permanent residents.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Refunds are rarely received quickly even in normal times.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

As an aside, I have flown between India and the US many times in my life, and Air India is the worst airline serving this route. I'd take any other airline over Air India.
30west

Post by 30west »

The flight may not cancel as there is revenue to be made with belly cargo, us cituzens can still travel and crew is exempt from most rules. Keep good records but this could take a while to resolve. Can your bank help?
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Looks like AI operated DEL EWR this week
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

OP you are between a rock and a hard place honestly. If Air India canceled the flight you can seek a refund and you can file a complaint with the US DOT that might help get that refund assuming the itinerary touches US soil. If however the flight is not cancelled then you are stuck with terms of the tickets you purchased. It is on the passenger unfortunately not the airline to determine if one can enter the destination and the fact the destination government made a last minute change isn't on the airline, it is on the passenger (fair or not). You can attempt a chargeback on your debit card (not sure of the protections on debit cards) but realize you are basically going against the terms you agreed do (whether you read them or not). It is possible Air India is incompetent and might not fight it and in which case you'd win. Good luck.