Drone usage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Drone usage

Post by OldBallCoach »

Anyone here have any thoughts on what to do with nuisance drones? DW dispatched one a while back with her trusty shotgun but the sheriff seems to take offense to that method. These idiots are flying them over our property and driving our dogs nuts. Last one was buzzing our pool when it met Mr Remington. We call the sheriff and by the time they get here 20-30 minutes later these folks are gone. We even showed them the video of the units and the reply was well unless we see them not much we can do...ok...anyone know how to jam up the controls on one of these drones? Maybe redirect into the lake? Thoughts?
oldfort

Re: Drone usage

Post by oldfort »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 am ..anyone know how to jam up the controls on one of these drones? Maybe redirect into the lake? Thoughts?
Thread should be locked as it's not really a consumer issue. Jamming is illegal. Hacking to take control and redirect into a lake is illegal.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Contact the FAA - this is unauthorized. They won't do a ton, but it should be reported. Do not, I repeat not, tell them you shot at one as that is a federal crime just the same as shooting at a passenger plane.

I would consider deleting your post. People have been arrested for this before, stupid as it sounds and justified as you may be. Jamming is also illegal. Remember that drone is capturing video, and the person flying the thing might just take offense if you shoot it down, and he or she could report you if they felt particularly vindictive, probably with the portions that incriminate them edited out.

Not a lawyer, but I am a pilot.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Maybe invest in a parabolic mirror that you could focus on the drone and disable it.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I am not a lawyer.

A quick Google search confirms that both firing a weapon at a drone or jamming a drone are both ILLEGAL. Shooting down any aircraft (including a drone) carries with it a maximum prison sentence of twenty years. That might seem a bit draconian for a drone but 1. it's the law whether you like it or not, and 2. any object falling from the sky has the potential to cause serious bodily hard to anyone who is unlucky enough to be standing below it.

I included a link below that has some suggestions from a legal standpoint that don't involve potential prison time. The long and short of it is that some states have prohibitions on drones flying over private property but some do not. However, it is possible to pursue some sort of civil action for trespassing or invasion of privacy.

References:
https://www.securitymagazine.com/articl ... wn-a-drone

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/ ... rol-drone/

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... drone.html

https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws/
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

If it's within reach, I'd nail in with a garden hose.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Post by 123 »

Perhaps you need a (pet) bird that would naturally defend it's territory.

Or you could fly a kite, the drone might recognize that as a hazard and stay away.

Or practice with some large paper airplanes, I think non-powered craft have the right-of-way.
Last edited by 123 on Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 am Contact the FAA - this is unauthorized. They won't do a ton, but it should be reported. Do not, I repeat not, tell them you shot at one as that is a federal crime just the same as shooting at a passenger plane.

I would consider deleting your post. People have been arrested for this before, stupid as it sounds and justified as you may be. Jamming is also illegal. Remember that drone is capturing video, and the person flying the thing might just take offense if you shoot it down, and he or she could report you if they felt particularly vindictive, probably with the portions that incriminate them edited out.

Well the sheriff came out the first time when we took it into our own hands and after watching the video ( they were within 5-6 feet of our grandkids and 2-3 feet off the ground at best, they said dont do that again but yea.I said suppose of the blades hit my grandkid...yea...thats not gonna happen..we had actually found the pilot down by the road and warned him to move it or lose it...so, he had the option to move it...and then got all pissed off afterwards......good to know about jamming, I was thinking that might be a deal breaker. We have called the FAA before and they basically blew us off too...it has happened to many people up and down the beach from us...now they are driving our dogs nuts too....thanks for you intel..we will handle accordingly.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Raybo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:18 am Maybe invest in a parabolic mirror that you could focus on the drone and disable it.
That sounds like something out of a movie.

I'm guessing this would be rather difficult. I solar cook on a "parabolic" reflector cooker (it's a scary to me thing - and I only use it when I want to make fried eggs and bacon or cook a burger. yeah, you can cook other stuff on it - but I'd rather use a SunOven for stuff that doesn't need to be "crispy". that said, I don't "do math" - but using a parabolic mirror in your back yard to take out a flying drone sounds like "bad science" - based on my solar cooking experience.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Perhaps a "pool cage" that covers your patio and pool would provide privacy from the drones?
Topic Author
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am Perhaps a "pool cage" that covers your patio and pool would provide privacy from the drones?
Why should I have to do that? And these clowns are trying to chase out dogs around our property...thats just mean and cruel and it will be stopped...I know they are working dogs but its still not right...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 am Contact the FAA - this is unauthorized. They won't do a ton, but it should be reported. Do not, I repeat not, tell them you shot at one as that is a federal crime just the same as shooting at a passenger plane.

Well the sheriff came out the first time when we took it into our own hands and after watching the video ( they were within 5-6 feet of our grandkids and 2-3 feet off the ground at best, they said dont do that again but yea.I said suppose of the blades hit my grandkid...yea...thats not gonna happen..we had actually found the pilot down by the road and warned him to move it or lose it...so, he had the option to move it...and then got all pissed off afterwards......good to know about jamming, I was thinking that might be a deal breaker. We have called the FAA before and they basically blew us off too...it has happened to many people up and down the beach from us...now they are driving our dogs nuts too....thanks for you intel..we will handle accordingly.
Those drones "were within 5-6 feet of our grandkids and 2-3 feet off the ground at best" :shock:
Isn't there some legal action to protect life!? And on your *own* property??
That's NOT 'just a drone somewhere overhead"...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:06 pm
LittleMaggieMae wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:43 am Perhaps a "pool cage" that covers your patio and pool would provide privacy from the drones?
Why should I have to do that? And these clowns are trying to chase out dogs around our property...thats just mean and cruel and it will be stopped...I know they are working dogs but its still not right...
Are these idiots neighbors? Man that would p*** me off! I’m a gentle person, but . . .

I know it’s illegal to shoot at them, but they sound close enough to hit with a bat.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a post discussing illegal actions to remove the drone. Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable. This thread has run its course and is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.