If you qualify, the FCC subsidizes $50 per month towards internet costs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

If you qualify, the FCC subsidizes $50 per month towards internet costs

Post by LadyGeek »

Found in several news outlets, the Federal Communications Commission is moving forward with its Emergency Broadband Benefit.
About the Emergency Broadband Benefit

The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.

Who Is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?

A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
  • Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
  • Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;
  • Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
  • Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
  • Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
When Can I Sign Up for the Benefit?

As of May 12, 2021, eligible households will be able to enroll in the program to receive a monthly discount off the cost of broadband service from an approved provider. Eligible households can enroll through an approved provider or by visiting https://getemergencybroadband.org.

Check out the Broadband Benefit Consumer FAQ for more information about the benefit and please continue to check this page for program updates.
The floodgates open on May 12, 2021. Full details are at the linked website: The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program.
If your household is eligible, you can receive:
  • Up to a $50/month discount on your broadband service and associated equipment rentals
  • Up to a $75/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal lands
  • A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50)
Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is allowed per household.

The program will end when the fund runs out of money, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
seawolf21

Re: If you qualify, the FCC subsidizes $50 per month towards internet costs

Post by seawolf21 »

Independent of EBB, if you qualify for Lifeline, FIOS 200/200 is $20/month.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Just applied. Site is slow today, its the first day you can apply.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Passed in December, 9 months after the emergency started, and not implemented for another 6 months, as the emergency is finally winding down. All schools in my state now allow in-person learning, and 2/3 of students are utilizing it. Employers are being progressively more open about working from the office.

Better late than never I guess.

It looks like it provides 64 million household*months worth of support, so the program is at least capable of funding a large number of households for a meaningful amount of time. I don't imagine there will be any trouble with availability, at least initially, for qualifying applicants.

It still doesn't help those of us who don't even have broadband available, and the FCC is still making infrastructure funding decisions based on data they have known for over a decade is fundamentally flawed.

That's a bit of a separate topic, but it's frustrating that while I continue to go into the office even on days when I'm officially expected to work from home because it is simply not possible to do tasks requiring a stable network connection, the broadband for all efforts are sticking to a multi-decade pace with no clear plan to address even areas like mine that should be a low hanging fruit.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 pm Passed in December, 9 months after the emergency started, and not implemented for another 6 months, as the emergency is finally winding down. All schools in my state now allow in-person learning, and 2/3 of students are utilizing it. Employers are being progressively more open about working from the office.

Better late than never I guess.

It looks like it provides 64 million household*months worth of support, so the program is at least capable of funding a large number of households for a meaningful amount of time. I don't imagine there will be any trouble with availability, at least initially, for qualifying applicants.

It still doesn't help those of us who don't even have broadband available, and the FCC is still making infrastructure funding decisions based on data they have known for over a decade is fundamentally flawed.

That's a bit of a separate topic, but it's frustrating that while I continue to go into the office even on days when I'm officially expected to work from home because it is simply not possible to do tasks requiring a stable network connection, the broadband for all efforts are sticking to a multi-decade pace with no clear plan to address even areas like mine that should be a low hanging fruit.
It is really amazing how far we have come with broadband. From not having it all 20 years ago to now being something I cannot imagine living without. Is moving an option for you? Not saying you should have to but I don’t think I could stand it!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

lazynovice wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:32 pm
It is really amazing how far we have come with broadband. From not having it all 20 years ago to now being something I cannot imagine living without. Is moving an option for you? Not saying you should have to but I don’t think I could stand it!
I have sufficient speed (3 Mbps when not on the VPN) and stability for my personal needs, even if less than desirable, but not for work needs. There was never any agreement between me and my employer that it was my obligation to procure such access, nor would I want to move for a situation that never has at any time been indicated to be continuing with certainty for more than a couple months (initially it was "2 weeks or more," and then it transitioned to "we'll re-evaluate work from home policies monthly").

On the whole, we really like where we live despite the unavailability of internet access even meeting the definition of broadband from back in 2010.
z91

Post by z91 »

Anyone have issues with this and Xfinity? I've been approved since day one, and have applied 4 times through Xfinity already, using the same info I provided for my approval, but each time I receive an email a few days later saying I'm not eligible. They say to call a phone number, but it takes light years to ever reach someone, and they just tell people to go through the National Verifier again..

Wondering what I can do to try to get this before the funds run out :annoyed
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

It's possible to qualify for Lifeline phone service and not this program. A relative is in that situation, where they have little enough income to qualify for Lifeline but too much to get the Broadband benefit. The "meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program" was not an option to auto qualify, you had to indicate income below the limit.

Specifically, the programs that auto qualify you are SNAP, Medicaid, SSI, federal public housing assistance (Section 8), "veterans pension and survivors benefit programs" (not the same as a military pension), Pell Grant in the current award year, free and reduced price school lunch/breakfast program in 2019-20 or 2020-21, "experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020", or "tribal specific program" (for members of Indian tribes living on tribal lands). Otherwise you have to show (and upload proof) of income 135% or less of the federal poverty line.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

In our area, we are lucky to get 2 Mbps down and still pay close to $100. Egads! The FCC should subsidize based upon slow speeds!
regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 »

galawdawg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 am In our area, we are lucky to get 2 Mbps down and still pay close to $100. Egads! The FCC should subsidize based upon slow speeds!
You should look into starlink: https://www.starlink.com/
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

regularguy455 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:12 am
galawdawg wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:39 am In our area, we are lucky to get 2 Mbps down and still pay close to $100. Egads! The FCC should subsidize based upon slow speeds!
You should look into starlink: https://www.starlink.com/
I pre-ordered as soon as sign-ups started. They are getting closer to my area, some just thirty miles north of me have gone to full order. I will very much enjoy the experience of calling my local monopoly rural phone/internet "we don't care" provider and disconnecting my service! :D
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Before disconnecting your local phone / internet provider, be very sure that Starlink can accommodate 911 emergency service. Some phone services, such as Google Voice, limit emergency service (compared to traditional phone providers).

See: Call emergency services (Google voice)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:46 am ^^^ Before disconnecting your local phone / internet provider, be very sure that Starlink can accommodate 911 emergency service. Some phone services, such as Google Voice, limit emergency service (compared to traditional phone providers).

See: Call emergency services (Google voice)
Excellent point, LadyGeek!