Laundry Detergent Small Packets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Laundry Detergent Small Packets

Post by DTalos »

Are individual packets of laundry detergent, whether in a powder or liquid form, superior in cleaning ability to a liquid bottle or box of powder of same brand detergent? Were individual packets primarily created for convenience purposes (not having to handle a heavy bottle or box)?
rockstar

Re: Laundry Detergent Small Packets

Post by rockstar »

Sounds like a science fair project for the kids.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

I would say that it is probably consumer convenience and for associated profits.

We use liquid detergent - at our previous home our septic manufacturer recommended liquid soaps and he have stuck with it even in our new town home.

I suppose powder in cardboard boxes may be better for the environment not being bottled in plastic :?:
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I used to use liquid but switched to pods after a liquid detergent container started leaking. Pods are super convenient, though price per load is higher.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Convenience, plain and simple.

Same detergent inside.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Quite some time ago I read that the recommended amounts of dishwasher and washing machine detergents were about 2-3 times more than necessary, so I have been using less since then with good results. With the packets, you don't have that choice unless you save half in a dish or something.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

egrets wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:35 pm Quite some time ago I read that the recommended amounts of dishwasher and washing machine detergents were about 2-3 times more than necessary, so I have been using less since then with good results. With the packets, you don't have that choice unless you save half in a dish or something.
We use a fraction of the "recommended amount" of detergent for laundry.
(We don't have small children who are getting clothing really filthy, which would be different.)

We don't do this to save money, although it does save a bit on the detergent cost, which isn't a big cost overall to start with for us.
We do it so that we don't have detergent residue in our clothing and linens.
Try washing towels, for example, with no detergent at all, and peek inside (for front loader, just peer in with flashlight) to see if there are suds. Fabric tends to be softer when there isn't residue.

In the dishwasher, if the dishes aren't heavily soiled, we use a very small amount of dish washing powder (same would be for liquid). Dishes and glasses come out very clean. (You can see that especially on glassware.)

I'm pretty convinced that a major impetus to the "convenient pre-packaged packets" of <whatever> are usually to sell more of <whatever>; convenience is probably secondary.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

egrets wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:35 pm Quite some time ago I read that the recommended amounts of dishwasher and washing machine detergents were about 2-3 times more than necessary, so I have been using less since then with good results. With the packets, you don't have that choice unless you save half in a dish or something.
Check the label on your container of pods. The recommended amount is usually 2 pods for regular loads or 3 pods for heavy loads. Using 1 pod is already going "light" on the amount, no need to cut in half.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

*shrug* I like the "Tide Pods" (for laundry, although they do have an oddly sweet odor to them :shock: ) They're very convenient, pre-portioned, and easy to carry a couple if I'm going to be doing laundry somewhere else. I actually think I get better results (fresher smelling clothes) from them compared to the liquid detergents. I prefer liquid detergents, it seems like I get better results. I've heard powdered detergents don't work as well since the ban on using phosphates in U.S. detergents.
Last edited by JoMoney on Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:56 pm
We use a fraction of the "recommended amount" of detergent for laundry.
(We don't have small children who are getting clothing really filthy, which would be different.)

We don't do this to save money, although it does save a bit on the detergent cost, which isn't a big cost overall to start with for us.
We do it so that we don't have detergent residue in our clothing and linens.
Try washing towels, for example, with no detergent at all, and peek inside (for front loader, just peer in with flashlight) to see if there are suds. Fabric tends to be softer when there isn't residue.

In the dishwasher, if the dishes aren't heavily soiled, we use a very small amount of dish washing powder (same would be for liquid). Dishes and glasses come out very clean. (You can see that especially on glassware.)

I'm pretty convinced that a major impetus to the "convenient pre-packaged packets" of <whatever> are usually to sell more of <whatever>; convenience is probably secondary.

RM
+1 - sensitive skin. It works better for me to use less detergent and no softener.
Bogle7

Bigger is better

Post by Bogle7 »

We buy the big packets
https://www.mieleusa.com/e/miele-ultrap ... 10803670-p
Precise control of dosage.
Excellent Persil detergent (Euro version).
Ease of use is great.
We have no residue nor smells.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you have an HE front loader, then use powdered.

Liquid or pod liquid leave residue. It causes smells. Powdered stopped that.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Convenience and according to CR are worse:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/lau ... /index.htm

Liquid detergents remain the most widely sold type, and while pods are convenient to use, eliminating the need to measure, even the best pods, also known as packs, can’t match the cleaning power of CR’s top-rated liquid detergents. Some pods are more expensive per load, too. Powders? Sales have dissolved, and few brands are on store shelves.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

I bought Tide pods when sending my children off to college, thinking it had to be easier than lugging the bottle of Tide down and then back up a few flights of stairs. Each one told me they didn't like the pods b/c they left residue on their clothing. I have no idea if the issue was faulty washing machines or one of them overloading the washing machine, but they returned to school with small bottles of Tide. I have never tried them at home so cannot comment.

I do, however, use the little packets of Cascade and now that someone upthread mentioned needing less for lightly soiled dishes, I may have to buy liquid. I use FAR less laundry detergent than suggested.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I think it depends on your washing machine and how diligent you are at reading the labels on your laundry detergent.

I use to use liquid - because, being single, sometimes I do small loads and sometimes I do large loads - and I wanted some control over the amount "soap" I was adding. This got frustrating because the liquid detergents kept changing how much to put in per load AND would change the measuring cap. The last bottle of liquid detergent I bought I could barely see the "marks" for small, medium, large, loads on the cap - I tried using a sharpie to mark it - but that became a mess.

And then I bought an HE top loader washer - that had it's own recommendations for how much "soap" to use and recommended using "pods" or no more than 2 TBLS of liquid detergent per load. I don't want to have to measure 2 TBLS of liquid (and I HATE having to figure out how to use a new bottle of detergent - so the pods are easiest and most convenient and do the job. )

I tend to use one pod (I use All clear - cause tide makes me itchy and I don't like the linger fragrances from other detergents) per load - and I no longer do "small loads" if I can avoid it.

Don't get me started on Fabric Softener. I hate that stuff.

Only you can answer your question - after you consider the washer you are using and then reading the label on your detergent.

If you are looking for "cleaning power" - you may want a detergent with "OXY clean" in it... OR you may want to pretreat any stains with a product - I use a gel stick that's "Oxy clean" or something to that effect. When I had a jug o' detergent - I would just pretreat with a bit of the detergent (and some water). Liquid laundry detergent is an amazing cleaner. :)
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

I have been using Kirkland "pods" from Costco after being a liquid Tide user. The clothes get clean, not a lot of suds. I have even stopped using fabric softener. Occasionally I may use some vinegar instead of fabric softener. I am very pleased with the results. My front loader stays much fresher, no build up from detergent or fabric softener around the rubber door gasket.

I also now use Kirkland dishwasher pods and I am very pleased with them as well. The price is great compared to other brands.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

We've been using and liking a third option: TruEarth ultra concentrated strips. Thirty-two loads in a package not much bigger than #10 envelope.

(The little strips fully dissolve, and after several months of use the machine's little soap drawer shows no signs of residue.)

Cleaning is as effective as Tide concentrated liquid, and we appreciate the extra shelf space and absence of containers going into the trash.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:33 pm Convenience, plain and simple.

Same detergent inside.

Wow, people sure do pay a lot for convenience then.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

DTalos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:31 pm

Same detergent inside.

It's subjective. I paid $20 for a 96-pack which would last a year and a half. I'm not going to worry if I paid $10 extra over the course of 18 months.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Same detergent inside.

It's subjective. I paid $20 for a 96-pack which would last a year and a half. I'm not going to worry if I paid $10 extra over the course of 18 months.
I read for large loads, it is suggested that one use 3 packets per load, so that would permit 32 loads per box.

I wonder if these packets work well in top loaders?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

DTalos wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:59 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Same detergent inside.

I read for large loads, it is suggested that one use 3 packets per load, so that would permit 32 loads per box.

I wonder if these packets work well in top loaders?
My washer is full-size, and I usually just use 1, but I'm not very picky. Mine's a top loader; you just place the pod at the bottom before placing clothes that's all.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

They can be, although with high efficiency washers now being ubiquitous, there is more care about specifying amounts to use, because excess detergent will not get rinsed out effectively in a high efficiency washer.

Regardless, if what you're doing works for your laundry, that's what matters.