Apple watch for 10 year old?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
celia

Re: Apple watch for 10 year old?

Post by celia »

davebo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:07 pm Our kids are getting to the age where they are roaming the neighborhood more, need rides home, ...
Sounds like you also want to get them a car... :oops:
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 am
crossbow wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:12 pm Do you have a link to aforementioned walkie talkies? That's actually a pretty neat idea - we may try it.
I believe these are the ones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089NFFZ9F/re ... NrPXRydWU=

We have tested them well over a mile and they work great. And unlike Lightheir's child, ours actually think they are fun and our 14yr old neighbor will occasionally ask to borrow them to play neighborhood games. If my children were regularly going a few miles away without our supervision, obviously we'd need something else, but this is a cheap, durable, and simple solution (without the possible complications of a smart device) for us.
Very cool. Thank you. If I'm being honest, the kid in me half wants this for myself.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

davebo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:07 pm Our kids are getting to the age where they are roaming the neighborhood more, need rides home, or just want to keep in touch. My oldest (12) has a cell phone, but that is even a challenge for him because he doesn't keep it on him all the time. We've done the Gizmo in the past and it's OK, but it's a little bulky and the functionality is limited....plus the one that we had just broke.

I like the idea of the device being attached to them, so the Apple watch is appealing but it would be pretty expensive. Apparently now you don't need to have a phone to go with it, you just pay for the line charge of $10/month.

Anyone have it? Like it or no?
When i was a kid i didnt have any of these. I turned out alright. Perhaps its anxiety that needs addressed instead of helicopter parenting 🤣🤣🤣
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

davebo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 am
Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 pm Crazy how in 5th & 6th grade I’d leave the house and go to a friends and we would go all over on our bikes. I wonder what if my parents ever worried? Crazy how a generation later we want to chip our children and have access to there whereabouts 24-7. Have times changed that much or are we just more woke?
Not sure your point. We use a lot of things that we didn't use when we were growing up because they weren't invented yet. I don't know how that makes someone more "woke", I don't even think you're using that term correctly.
I used to go all over the place with my friends when I was that age. I knew I had to home by a certain time or call home and give a reason for not being home (staying for dinner at a friend's house) or ask for one of my parents to pick me up. But that may have been a different time...
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

OP,
Just yesterday there was an article on this issue in the WSJ family section. Sorry I don’t have the link. Author was in favor of using smart watch to keep in touch with daughter. Stated said watch would only allow contact with family and known responsible adults. No gaming allowed. HVAC
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Clearly all kids are different, but mine has had a smartphone since he turned 10 (turns 14 in two months), and there have been no incidents other than one battery failure that was not his fault. He takes it with him everywhere he goes unless he is with us. Makes it easy to check in on him, or for him to let us know when plans have changed.

They're technically not permitted at school, but all of his teachers have no problem if kids listen to music on their phones when they're working independently in class, and many of the kids do.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

An Apple watch? Are you kidding?

The last thing a 10 year old's brain needs is even more screen time. Creates digital addicts that have fewer skills to navigate the real world.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

davebo wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:07 pm Our kids are getting to the age where they are roaming the neighborhood more, need rides home, or just want to keep in touch. My oldest (12) has a cell phone, but that is even a challenge for him because he doesn't keep it on him all the time. We've done the Gizmo in the past and it's OK, but it's a little bulky and the functionality is limited....plus the one that we had just broke.

I like the idea of the device being attached to them, so the Apple watch is appealing but it would be pretty expensive. Apparently now you don't need to have a phone to go with it, you just pay for the line charge of $10/month.

Think about it. Anything you can use to electronically/digitally track and/or communicate with your kids can be hacked and used by Chester the Molester to electronically/digitally track and/or communicate with your kids.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

lazydavid wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:12 am Clearly all kids are different, but mine has had a smartphone since he turned 10 (turns 14 in two months), and there have been no incidents other than one battery failure that was not his fault. He takes it with him everywhere he goes unless he is with us. Makes it easy to check in on him, or for him to let us know when plans have changed.

They're technically not permitted at school, but all of his teachers have no problem if kids listen to music on their phones when they're working independently in class, and many of the kids do.
14 year olds are using their phones in class for a lot more than listening to music. Yeah, even the "good" kids are going where responsible parents would not want their kids to be going.

If one would not allow their young teen to ride a motorcycle on the street while not wearing a helmet, why on earth would one allow the young teen to have unfettered access to the Interweb all day, including during class? Oh, don't even try to explain it away as the kid has all the musics stored on the phone.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

The apple watch (cellular version) works great without a phone... it's why I bought mine. I think I have v3 since it came out and still works great. I like it for yoga and gym when I don't want to bring my phone.

It's handy for SOS if needed and can also be used as a walkie talkie.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206983

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208917
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Jeepergeo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 pm 14 year olds are using their phones in class for a lot more than listening to music. Yeah, even the "good" kids are going where responsible parents would not want their kids to be going.

If one would not allow their young teen to ride a motorcycle on the street while not wearing a helmet, why on earth would one allow the young teen to have unfettered access to the Interweb all day, including during class? Oh, don't even try to explain it away as the kid has all the musics stored on the phone.
This is quite a nasty post. I probably shouldn't respond, but I will anyway, and here it is: You do not get to speak for my child. I know exactly what he does and does not use his phone for, which actually is not that much. About 9 hours in the past month, the overwhelming majority of that being music. Content is filtered, but that doesn't really even matter because he almost never uses a browser (ANY browser) on his phone.

You will no doubt be horrified to know that he also has access to the internet at home.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:24 am
alfredwallace wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am I'm 52 years old and have yet to buy a cell phone, not just a smartphone mind you, but any cell phone of any type. I keep telling myself I'll buy one when I finally can't live without it. So far, I think I might die without ever buying one.
Not being snarky here, but what would you do if you had a car breakdown at 11pm on a cold night in January? Broke your ankle on a jog in the park? Needed to coordinate a pickup of someone at the airport?

Hey whatever works, but I don't see how it's possible anymore.
I mean, none of those things are new, and the human race survived for thousands of years (and decades of airport pickups). I have a cell phone myself, but I don't see how any of those things are proof that it's not possible "any more." Actually it's way easier now, since in the worst case, you can just borrow someone else's cell phone.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

Jeepergeo wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:08 pm

Think about it. Anything you can use to electronically/digitally track and/or communicate with your kids can be hacked and used by Chester the Molester to electronically/digitally track and/or communicate with your kids.
If it's any consolation, Chester the Molester is almost certain to be a family member or someone who knows both you and your kid personally - he has zero interest in "hacking" your child's Apple Watch.
alfredwallace

Post by alfredwallace »

Seasonal wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am
alfredwallace wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:51 am I'm 52 years old and have yet to buy a cell phone, not just a smartphone mind you, but any cell phone of any type. I keep telling myself I'll buy one when I finally can't live without it. So far, I think I might die without ever buying one.
Not being snarky here, but what would you do if you had a car breakdown at 11pm on a cold night in January? Broke your ankle on a jog in the park? Needed to coordinate a pickup of someone at the airport?

So many things we do essentially require a smartphone because so many places just assume everyone has one. Displaying tickets or, these days, COVID questionnaires to enter places, summoning car services to pick us up from places where there's no transport alternatives, wandering around when traveling, then finding nearby museums or restaurants or just our way back to a hotel, contactless payments, etc. etc. Plus, it's nice to always have a camera, music, movies, other entertainment in your pocket.

Obviously YMMV.
A cell phone really isn't required. It's amazing what happens when you say, "I don't own a cell phone". Magically there are other ways they can handle it. Frankly it doesn't come up much. I look at maps before I go somewhere and navigate by the memorized map in my head or I use general directional headings. When I need my car picked up, I ask them when it will be ready. They ask for my cell phone number. I say I don't have one and they give me a time it will be ready. I pick it up then. I look at landmarks when I leave a hotel and before I enter it. I remember where it is through a combination of landmarks (beacons, associative cues, reference frames etc.) or path integration/dead reckoning. I'm sure smart phones provide lots of opportunities but I'm wagering that not owning a cell phone provides at least as much freedom as owning one, just a different type. The number of times I wish I had one I could count on one hand. I've picked up dozens of people at the airport without one. My cars haven't broken down. I've been in the woods at night by myself hundreds and hundreds of times and never felt the slightest need to have one. Obviously one person's freedom is another person's chains. Maybe I just like to live in my own head without distraction more than most. I can see the utility of one, but it's not for me.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

alfredwallace wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 am

So many things we do essentially require a smartphone because so many places just assume everyone has one. Displaying tickets or, these days, COVID questionnaires to enter places, summoning car services to pick us up from places where there's no transport alternatives, wandering around when traveling, then finding nearby museums or restaurants or just our way back to a hotel, contactless payments, etc. etc. Plus, it's nice to always have a camera, music, movies, other entertainment in your pocket.

Obviously YMMV.
A cell phone really isn't required. It's amazing what happens when you say, "I don't own a cell phone". Magically there are other ways they can handle it. Frankly it doesn't come up much. I look at maps before I go somewhere and navigate by the memorized map in my head or I use general directional headings. When I need my car picked up, I ask them when it will be ready. They ask for my cell phone number. I say I don't have one and they give me a time it will be ready. I pick it up then. I look at landmarks when I leave a hotel and before I enter it. I remember where it is through a combination of landmarks (beacons, associative cues, reference frames etc.) or path integration/dead reckoning. I'm sure smart phones provide lots of opportunities but I'm wagering that not owning a cell phone provides at least as much freedom as owning one, just a different type. The number of times I wish I had one I could count on one hand. I've picked up dozens of people at the airport without one. My cars haven't broken down. I've been in the woods at night by myself hundreds and hundreds of times and never felt the slightest need to have one. Obviously one person's freedom is another person's chains. Maybe I just like to live in my own head without distraction more than most. I can see the utility of one, but it's not for me.
I don't deny smartphones come with their share of attention-hogging problems, but to me getting rid of the smartphone is literally getting rid of the baby with the bathwater.

Maps by paper compared to Google maps on a smartphone? U gotta be kidding me. Ok, if you're retired or have an excess of free time and would welcome getting lost, sure, it might be better, but if you have to get somewhere most efficiently, it's not even close. One wrong turn and your vaunted paper maps plan is toast until you pull over (again).

Not being able to communicate quickly with family, friends, and even service shops? Been there, done that in the pre-cell phone era. I would never willingly go back to that as someone for whom time is always a premium.

Pretty much every situation I can imagine for which I use my cell phone I'd say it has dramatically improved my quality of life. Of note, I intentionally do not use social media on it so it takes over my real life. And still, yes, I check my screen time and I'm horrified with how often it exceeds 4-5 hrs per day on weekends - but even in that case much of that time is reading Kindle in foreign languages or even watching videos all in foreign languages.

Smartphones for sure are not REQUIRED to have a good life, but unless it the smartphone is hampering or limiting your lifestyle in some way (which can be if you are in fact addicted to it), it improves things in so many ways that it's the first thing I'd recommend a busy parent or non-retired person get for bang-for-buck improvement at low cost.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

alfredwallace wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:44 am

Obviously YMMV.
As I said, YMMV, especially if these aren't useful to you: Displaying tickets or, these days, COVID questionnaires to enter places, summoning car services to pick us up from places where there's no transport alternatives, wandering around when traveling, then finding nearby museums or restaurants or just our way back to a hotel, contactless payments, etc. etc. Plus, it's nice to always have a camera, music, movies, other entertainment in your pocket.

And speaking of Google maps, things such as being able to see current traffic (to gauge time to destination and best current route) and how busy some places are and usually are, is very useful.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Seems like a lot of opinions.

Opinion: Its too expensive!
Fact: A used Series 4 is $190-210 depending on condition on Swappa. These are the GPS+Cellular ones. Whether this is too expensive depends on the household. Note: the T-Mobile flip phone listed in this thread is $100. I picked series 4 because that's the oldest watch that supports Family Setup.

Opinion: A ten year old will break it!
Fact: Apple watches are reasonably rugged and you can by cases for them if need be:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Thin-Shock ... 430&sr=8-3

Yes, if you whack it really hard against something you'll still break it.

Opinion: They will need a phone!
Fact: You need an iPhone to do the initial setup. The watch itself has cellular.

Opinion: They will lose the AirPods!
Fact: Apple watches have their own speaker and microphones.

Opinion: They will get distracted and play games on them!
Fact: Family Setup allows you to set up school time mode that locks the watch down.

At 8 kids are allowed to be home alone in my state. At 10 I was a latch key kid.

In 2015 two kids aged 10 and 6 were taken to CPS for walking to the park alone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meitiv_incidents

Fortunately common sense prevailed in this case:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... story.html

So my opinion is that an Apple Watch for $200 and $10/month is cheap peace of mind for something that is on their wrist, has both GPS and cellular and can be used for geo-fencing alerts, messages and phone calls. Its a lot less of screen time impact than a smartphone. There's simply not THAT much you can do on the watch.

And unlike a lot of the other GPS tracking watches with connectivity of some sort you can buy it actually works.

Is it the right option for EVERY 10 year old? Of course not. But it's not as absurd as folks would have you believe.

I would like Apple to add an alert when the watch is taken off but its a nice first start for Family Setup.
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

alpenglow wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:42 pm As a school teacher, I can tell you that kids are constantly distracted by these things. Cell phones are also a problem, but they are easier to spot and take away.
I 100% agree. My 10 year old son wanders the neighborhood with his friends and we have no plans to give him a cell phone (or watch) till high school. How is it that all of us managed to grow up without any of this c**p? And things were substantially less safe then.

I find giving cell phones to kids is a gateway drug to instagram or facebook - ironic considering i once worked for fb. Most of my co-workers banned their kids from fb/instagram too :wink: .
squirm

Post by squirm »

edgeagg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm
alpenglow wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:42 pm As a school teacher, I can tell you that kids are constantly distracted by these things. Cell phones are also a problem, but they are easier to spot and take away.
I 100% agree. My 10 year old son wanders the neighborhood with his friends and we have no plans to give him a cell phone (or watch) till high school. How is it that all of us managed to grow up without any of this c**p? And things were substantially less safe then.

I find giving cell phones to kids is a gateway drug to instagram or facebook - ironic considering i once worked for fb. Most of my co-workers banned their kids from fb/instagram too :wink: .
We've taught our kids to stay off of Facebook, Twitter etc and their not allowed phones yet. The whole thing of giving kids phones reminds me of StarTrek TNG, The Game. "Come on Wesley, it's a phone everyone is using it."
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

squirm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm We've taught our kids to stay off of Facebook, Twitter etc and their not allowed phones yet. The whole thing of giving kids phones reminds me of StarTrek TNG, The Game. "Come on Wesley, it's a phone everyone is using it."
Ya know, I'd totally forgotten that one! Frankly, Instagram is the worst of the triumvirate. Interact with the world, not electrons!
squirm

Post by squirm »

edgeagg wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm
squirm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm We've taught our kids to stay off of Facebook, Twitter etc and their not allowed phones yet. The whole thing of giving kids phones reminds me of StarTrek TNG, The Game. "Come on Wesley, it's a phone everyone is using it."
Ya know, I'd totally forgotten that one! Frankly, Instagram is the worst of the triumvirate. Interact with the world, not electrons!
Yeah the way I see some people with their phone glued to them, it reminds me of that episode.

Yup, there's a lot of non verbal communication that can't get communicated online.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

And yet Wesley has a comm badge…which is pretty much all a cell enabled Apple Watch is…
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

squirm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm
Yeah the way I see some people with their phone glued to them, it reminds me of that episode.

Yup, there's a lot of non verbal communication that can't get communicated online.
I am not going to share details, but phones (well, constant online communication, social media) have literally destroyed the lives of my 13 and 12yr old nieces; as in, police have been involved, they have both (at separate times) been separated from their parents as a direct result, they have been taken out of school... Every time my 9yr old tells us she wants a phone because all of her friends have one, we remind her that she can't see her cousins (she doesn't really know why and we won't share with her until she's ready to understand, but she's aware that being glued to their phone was the impetus).

Of course what happened with my nieces is an extreme situation and there are ways to mitigate the risk, but with such limited upside to giving them access at this stage in life it simply isn't worth the risk or hassle for us.
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

All I can say from personal experience is this: Media companies like FB, Google etc do not have your interest in mind. Think of it this way: Kids are being matched up against people who have billions of dollars invested in selling you clickbait. It is even worse than daytrading. At least there you only lost your money. The scope and scale of money invested in microtargeting is immense and rarely comprehended.
squirm

Post by squirm »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:54 am
squirm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I am not going to share details, but phones (well, constant online communication, social media) have literally destroyed the lives of my 13 and 12yr old nieces; as in, police have been involved, they have both (at separate times) been separated from their parents as a direct result, they have been taken out of school... Every time my 9yr old tells us she wants a phone because all of her friends have one, we remind her that she can't see her cousins (she doesn't really know why and we won't share with her until she's ready to understand, but she's aware that being glued to their phone was the impetus).

Of course what happened with my nieces is an extreme situation and there are ways to mitigate the risk, but with such limited upside to giving them access at this stage in life it simply isn't worth the risk or hassle for us.
It's only getting worse. We're always seeing parents handing their kids a phone or even worse, buying them one to keep them occupied at younger and younger ages, why not just hand them a book, have them draw, etc. It really is eerie how similar it's become like the Startrek episode I reference above.

Generally our kids are pretty good. Most of their friends not only have their own phones that their glued to all the time but they also have game consoles and TV's, even in their own room., of course all the Facebook and Twitter accounts. Our kids are not allowed any of that, and their fine with it.

Sorry to hear about your nieces.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

TT wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 am I think this article is a good read for any parent today with young children. Hoping it can help some make better informed decisions regarding technology use in daily life. Good Luck

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... on/534198/
30% increase in suicide sounds scary but the deaths per 100,000 dropped from 51 in 2000 to 36 in 2019.

https://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/t ... ny/290,291

My wife has this same concern but in high school I was partying, drinking and getting laid. I’m okay with trading a lower chance of paying for a funeral or pregnancy vs a therapist…
m@ver1ck

Post by m@ver1ck »

We got our son a cheaper watch with sim card a couple of years ago when he was 8. He didn't like wearing it - so had it in his pocket. He lost it the first day. we went finding it - found it crushed. Either the fall damage, or maybe the kids rode over it with their bikes. Luckily, we had the accidental warranty thingy. We filed for it about a year later - didn't get around to doing it before then, and they reimbursed us the cost of the watch - since they couldn't fix it.

Fast forward now, he's 10. Bought him the apple watch just so we can call him when he's out riding bikes around the neighborhood with his friends or playing in the parks in our neighborhood. Did not want to get him a phone - but the use case here is of it being a phone we can call, which has a SOS feature in case he needs help.

This time around, it got washed in the washing machine, and went into the dryer too in his pant pockets. Luckily, we had a case for the screen, and the watch came out unscathed.

We never get any extended warranty/insurance for appliances - but with kids, it seems like a no brainer.

But yes - he enjoys wearing it sometimes to count steps.

but apart from that - you'll still be on the hook t oensure it is charged for when the child has to go out to play.
$10/month totally worth it.

And no way in hell I'm getting him a phone anytime soon! Having to manage his PC for schoolwork and constantly negotiating minecraft time everyday is a big enough pain as it is. I'm just going to say that we can't afford it if he wants a phone.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

lightheir wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:42 am
stoptothink wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:40 am
lightheir wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:09 pm

My daughter would have literally laughed me to the ground even at age 9 if I proposed giving her a walkie talkie to play outside. And she'd literally video me and text it to her friends as a meme if I did it now at age 10 just to embarrass me about it! :shock:
Sounds like we raised our kids much differently. The only laughing came from me, when my 9yr old asked for a phone because all her friends had one.
Ha, even if we did, my kid is literally like the bcolor=#BF00FF]best behaved kid I've ever met[/color]. She also has a great sense of humor, and appropriately so.

And no, I don't take any special parenting credit for that - she literally just turned out that way. I do think parenting skills do go a long way, but if you're lucky enough to have an intrinsically good/easy kid, they are almost not necessary. I was raised in a 100% nurture vs nature household, but now that I'm older/wiser, I'm seeing the truth of it.
I guess we have a different definition of "well behaved".
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

edgeagg wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm

It's not about whether it's needed to grow up with it, it's about does it make it more convenient. If I can text my kid in school to ask him where is his after school activity in case I have to plan around traffic or whatever, it helps me out to be able to reach him quickly. Communication is very important to humans. Yes, I could call the school and then can pull him out of class to talk to me, but a text is so much quicker and easier.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:13 am

My daughter would have literally laughed me to the ground even at age 9 if I proposed giving her a walkie talkie to play outside. And she'd literally video me and text it to her friends as a meme if I did it now at age 10 just to embarrass me about it! :shock:
Sounds like we raised our kids much differently. The only laughing came from me, when my 9yr old asked for a phone because all her friends had one.
Ha, even if we did, my kid is literally like the bcolor=#BF00FF]best behaved kid I've ever met[/color]. She also has a great sense of humor, and appropriately so.

And no, I don't take any special parenting credit for that - she literally just turned out that way. I do think parenting skills do go a long way, but if you're lucky enough to have an intrinsically good/easy kid, they are almost not necessary. I was raised in a 100% nurture vs nature household, but now that I'm older/wiser, I'm seeing the truth of it.
Yes, probably. Well behaved kids and adults aren’t casually judgemental…

We have walkie talkies for the slopes and hiking trails but typically those activities have lots of pockets for bulky items vs playing outside. My kids, who are used to using them already, would look at me funny if I suggested it. It’s something we use when there isn’t cell coverage. Most ski resorts now have cell coverage so we don’t bother these days except on mountain trails.

And the Apple Watch has a walkie talkie mode…

If walkie talkies with very limited ranges (and we have the highest legal wattage GRMS ones) work for folks in their neighborhood great but its no more a common choice vs an Apple Watch for kids…and with Apple’s recent additions the watch will become more prevalent.

I’m not giving my 9yo a phone…and she’ll probably get one later than her older siblings got theirs. But a watch doesn’t have Netflix or many games but would allow her to call us from dance or whatever if she needs a ride for some unplanned reason. It also allows us keep an eye where she is when playing and to call her if we want her to come home early.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 am Today we are much more aware of what's going on in the world, including things that we'd never knowingly want our children to be near, or be at risk of. Years ago our parents, and their parents before them, were ignorant of some of these things. Now we're not.

I would not give a 10 year old an Apple watch (or for that matter a teenager). I'd insist my child keep their cell phone nearby, and if they don't, then they lose privileges. But that's me.
Yep!

Our granddaughters both have hand-me-down IPhones from their parents, and losing their cell phone because of behavior is a very dreaded form of punishment for them. They are both social butterflies, and being out of the loop just kills them.

A watch just doesn't seem as useful to me. Now, we only have daughters, so I honestly have no idea of the propensity of a male youth losing a cell phone, a watch might indeed be better. The Android smart watches can be had for much less than Apple, so losing/breaking one wouldn't be as bad, money-wise.

Broken Man 1999

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
djevel

Post by djevel »

Check out https://www.myticktalk.com/ Couldn't recommend more... We have the third gen. 4th just came out.

All the features a parent would want, but not any more. In fact the missing features ("smarts") is what makes it so ideal for my 9 year old. Can easily be programmed to not work as anything but a regular watch during certain hours (e.g. during school).
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

Used older Apple watches seem to be widely available and pretty cheap. Maybe check Swappa. I don't know for sure but I would think Series 3 and on would work for your purposes. Also one does not need earbuds to make or receive a call from the watch--there's a speaker and a mic that work well enough, although one would not want to have an extended convo this way. You look a bit weird talking to and listening to your wrist :shock:.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

nigel_ht wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:59 am
manatee2005 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:13 am

Yes, probably. Well behaved kids and adults aren’t casually judgemental…

We have walkie talkies for the slopes and hiking trails but typically those activities have lots of pockets for bulky items vs playing outside. My kids, who are used to using them already, would look at me funny if I suggested it. It’s something we use when there isn’t cell coverage. Most ski resorts now have cell coverage so we don’t bother these days except on mountain trails.

And the Apple Watch has a walkie talkie mode…

If walkie talkies with very limited ranges (and we have the highest legal wattage GRMS ones) work for folks in their neighborhood great but its no more a common choice vs an Apple Watch for kids…and with Apple’s recent additions the watch will become more prevalent.

I’m not giving my 9yo a phone…and she’ll probably get one later than her older siblings got theirs. But a watch doesn’t have Netflix or many games but would allow her to call us from dance or whatever if she needs a ride for some unplanned reason. It also allows us keep an eye where she is when playing and to call her if we want her to come home early.
I was replying to lightheir, not you.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

djevel wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25 pm Check out https://www.myticktalk.com/ Couldn't recommend more... We have the third gen. 4th just came out.

All the features a parent would want, but not any more. In fact the missing features ("smarts") is what makes it so ideal for my 9 year old. Can easily be programmed to not work as anything but a regular watch during certain hours (e.g. during school).
Look pretty good, especially with the battery life. How’s the voice quality?
djevel

Post by djevel »

nigel_ht wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:02 pm
djevel wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25 pm Check out https://www.myticktalk.com/ Couldn't recommend more... We have the third gen. 4th just came out.

Look pretty good, especially with the battery life. How’s the voice quality?
Excellent on both sides. Battery life isn't fantastic on the gen 3, especially if the watch is struggling to find signal, but as long as it gets charged every night it isn't a concern.
Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo »

I forgot I had started this thread so I'll provide an update now that it's popped back up.

We ended up switching carriers to T-Mobile and they were offering deals on Apple Watch SEs, keep the service with them for 2 years and it's $200 (vs. $330 normally). The total was $600 for all of our kids and $30/month for service for all 3 watches.

So far, we have loved it and it's worked out great. The watches are less bulky than some of the other "kid" watches out there, so our kids are more likely to wear them more frequently. You can turn them off during school, they can track activity, you can see where they are on the GPS, and it's simple for them to send texts and make phone calls. They mainly use them as a tool to communicate with us, each other, or close family.

Is it necessary? Not really, but it makes my life a lot easier to stay in touch with my kids.
liynus

Post by liynus »

Yes glad I didn’t get one. My school just banned them too. In the end it’s a cell phone or nothing.
liynus

Post by liynus »

Yes glad I didn’t get one. My school just banned them too. In the end it’s a cell phone or nothing.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:48 pm Crazy how in 5th & 6th grade I’d leave the house and go to a friends and we would go all over on our bikes. I wonder what if my parents ever worried? Crazy how a generation later we want to chip our children and have access to there whereabouts 24-7. Have times changed that much or are we just more woke?
First of all in a bunch of states and countries its illegal to leave a 5th grader unattended.
https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/ ... tate/1555/
I was home alone since 1st grade, like many kids I know. The world devolved.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Do they like them? I guess kids do like tech, just don't just assume.
Time is the ultimate currency.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

RickBoglehead wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 am
Can't imagine someone not having one in this day and age. If it works for you, great.
The whole telephone model has changed. Back in the olden days you called a house or a business and talked to anyone who answered at that location. Now you call a specific person, wherever they happen to be. A huge change.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
Bogle7

Maybe

Post by Bogle7 »

My wife says:
1. You act like a 10 year old.
2. You should get an Apple Watch like me.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
SimpleStupid

Post by SimpleStupid »

We just went the apple watch route with our 10 yr olds. It’s a good way to stall the phone purchase, while giving them something to feel up to speed with others. It’s definitely nice to be able to call them too. To diminish the price shock we got them model 5’s and bought them refurbished, from apple. I highly recommend staying away from the 3rd party refurb sites. We went through several returns due to a variety of issues, to try and save $50. Not worth it. Also, I recommend you get the full wrap-around cases they sell on amazon. They’re very protective, and present no issues with the touch screen. Good luck.
Last edited by SimpleStupid on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frost

Post by Frost »

The ability to limit the Apple Watch functionality through family sharing and have the technology “grow” with the child has potential benefit.

If the additional functionality is added over time, one could possibly better prepare a child for the future use (responsibility) of a cellphone and future life full of technology we’ve not thought of yet.

All people are different. For some this would work, others not. I hope it has continued to work well for the OP.