Is Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic oil really good for 20k miles?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hmw

Is Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic oil really good for 20k miles?

Post by hmw »

I bought the oil because it was on sale.

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R at 110k miles. I usually drives 20k miles a year and about 80% of it is highway driving.

I currently change my engine oil every 7500 miles with full synthetic oil.

Can I really go 20k miles or one year without changing oil?

What do BHs think?

Thanks
ychuck46

Re: Is Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic oil really good for 20k miles?

Post by ychuck46 »

Sorry for the non answer, but it depends. Are you hard on the vehicle - lots of stop and go driving, dusty conditions, towing, jackrabbit starts and stops, etc. If yes then the answer would be no. Would I take any synthetic oil to 20K? Not personally but I know others who do with no problem.
lazydavid

Re: Is Mobil 1 extended performance full synthetic oil really good for 20k miles?

Post by lazydavid »

I would be willing to try 15k, and send a sample off for analysis at that change. If the report comes back that there's plenty of life left, you can take the next change to 20k/1yr.
zxllxz

Post by zxllxz »

Take a look at Blackstone Laboratories (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/). They are an oil testing service used by fleets. I have used them in the past to check on unusual engine wear. If you regularly have your oil tested they can tell you what the oil change interval should be for your usage.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

My 4Runner calls for every 10,000 miles oil changes. I wouldn't want to push it much further.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Are there any oil filters rated to 20,000 miles? I buy extended life filters because Toyota says to change oil every 10,000 miles.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I used to do it every 3000 miles. Now I just do it once a year, when it’s convenient for me.

I switched, because it occurred to me after 30 years of driving and changing oil, I’d never heard of *anybody* having car problems due to extended oil change intervals. I have heard of sludged up engines, but those a,ways seemed to happen to lots of cars, including many that did the factory recommended oil changes.

And I do use Mobil 1, so I feel okay about it.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I would not go 20k miles.

Unburnt fuel seeps into the oil.

That makes it the dark color.

I would follow your car guidelines and how the oil looks after 5,000 or 7,500 or 10k
squirm

Post by squirm »

Normchad wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:55 am I used to do it every 3000 miles. Now I just do it once a year, when it’s convenient for me.

I switched, because it occurred to me after 30 years of driving and changing oil, I’d never heard of *anybody* having car problems due to extended oil change intervals. I have heard of sludged up engines, but those a,ways seemed to happen to lots of cars, including many that did the factory recommended oil changes.

And I do use Mobil 1, so I feel okay about it.
Same here, when it's convenient fore me. But some people have a weird fetish to argue about engine oil.
My FIL writes the mileage down and changes it exactly at the 3000 mark, God forbid if it goes 2 miles over that...and it's always "the big day" when he changes it...and he's gotta have everything all planned out for the big day....and then I get to hear about his oil change for an hour when I see him. I guess it all makes him feel good but none of this cars/trucks last any longer than mine.
System1

Post by System1 »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:51 am Are there any oil filters rated to 20,000 miles? I buy extended life filters because Toyota says to change oil every 10,000 miles.
In my opinion, the filter is the weak link. They have a bypass valve so when they fill up, no more filtering. That is much worse for your engine than old oil. The AMSOIL plan is new oil and filter every 20k, but at 10k you change the filter and top off the oil. If I got a high capacity filter, I would run 10k, but never "plan" to go more. Cheap filters need to be changed more often. Also, environment does play a role, but 20k of highway per year with no towing and no gravel roads, you should be fine with 6mo intervals.
HIMcDunnough

Post by HIMcDunnough »

If you want to talk about oil with a wide range of vocal opinions, head over to Bob Is the Oil Guy. If you're a slightly more normal person, just use a synthetic oil and change it and the filter annually. The way engines and oils are made these days, you'd have to have incredibly bad luck to not have the engine still running by the time everything else on the car (seats, door handles, etc.) breaks due to daily wear.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

I am a long time Mobil 1 user. I run extended length between oil changes, but change the filter at 7500.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

David Jay wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm I am a long time Mobil 1 user. I run extended length between oil changes, but change the filter at 7500.
You must have a well placed canister filter.

One time I forgot to put the washer on the drain plug and I had to quickly take the bolt out and slide a washer on. I didn't lose much oil but it made a mess. I can't imagine doing that on my car with a cartridge filter.
We plan. G-d laughs.
BusterScruggs

Post by BusterScruggs »

hmw wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:26 am I bought the oil because it was on sale.

I have a 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R at 110k miles. I usually drives 20k miles a year and about 80% of it is highway driving.

What do BHs think?

Thanks
Yes, the oils are that good now. However, the biggest issue nowadays is oil consumption. Most engines eat oil now so you could very well kill your engine due to being low
On Oil based on the assumption you don’t have to monitor it for 20k.

I run a hard drive in the city every day and go about 8k on synthetics. I’ve seen through oil
Analysis from
Black stone this is about right. Can you go 20k? Likely
Yes. But don’t forget to check the oil levels every 2k miles.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:18 pm One time I forgot to put the washer on the drain plug and I had to quickly take the bolt out and slide a washer on. I didn't lose much oil but it made a mess. I can't imagine doing that on my car with a cartridge filter.
For most cars this should not be an issue. The filter is not in the sump. Generally, the same amount of oil leaks out from a filter change whether the engine is empty or full of oil. There could be exceptions but ive never owned one...

I think the "synthetic oil" filters are meant for longer duration change intervals. But I'd be inclined to change the filter only at around 10k miles and add a half quart or whatever is needed to top off what has been lost in the filter and burned off.
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
rrt

Post by rrt »

As someone who built bike and cars most of my life, I wouldn't go past 10k per change. And 10k only with synthetic from the beginning of the engines life. To many "other" things suspended in your oil especially because of all the detergent additives. If you only really drive highway miles for long distances...maybe>

To me, it's cheap insurance. All those short trips around town are tough on an engine. The engine doesn't get up to temp and stay there for any length of time enabling it to burn off contaminants.

Just my beliefs. Obviously you can finds pros' & con's on both side of the arguments.
Topic Author
hmw

Post by hmw »

suemarkp wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:05 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:18 pm One time I forgot to put the washer on the drain plug and I had to quickly take the bolt out and slide a washer on. I didn't lose much oil but it made a mess. I can't imagine doing that on my car with a cartridge filter.
For most cars this should not be an issue. The filter is not in the sump. Generally, the same amount of oil leaks out from a filter change whether the engine is empty or full of oil. There could be exceptions but ive never owned one...

I think the "synthetic oil" filters are meant for longer duration change intervals. But I'd be inclined to change the filter only at around 10k miles and add a half quart or whatever is needed to top off what has been lost in the filter and burned off.
Not sure about the filter. My filter is screwed on horizontally under the car. I have always changed the filter after draining the oil. Will I lose a ton of oil if I attempt to change the filter only?
illumination

Post by illumination »

I can almost guarantee you any sort of factory warranty will be denied if you go on this interval and your engine has an problem. Many cars now have longer powertrain warranties. I wouldn't buy a car from someone that only changed it once every 20k miles.

Changing oil is pretty cheap insurance, A filter will likely need to be replaced sooner than a 20k mile interval anyway, might as well change the oil. If something like your filter clogs or doesn't allow adequate flow, you could jeopardize the whole engine.

Some engines are also just more prone to have problems on long intervals without an oil change. Some cars also burn a decent amount of oil, and no one checks their dipstick anymore. Many cars now don't even have dipsticks.

I definitely think though for many cars, it wouldn't surprise me if the oil held up fine as long as everything else was in spec, just not a gamble I want to make.
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

It's really false economy to push oil changes that far, especially when you can currently get Mobil1 for $12 or less for 5 quarts with the current rebate.
hudson

Post by hudson »

What do BHs think?

Thanks
Mobil says 15K for a high mileage vehicle....that's you. https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/abo ... il-results

In my case, I go with the 10K recommendation in the owners manual. I have to use synthetic to qualify....just standard synthetic not Mobil Extended.
My goal every year is to go for a triple play: That is a one stop car inspection, tire rotation, and oil change at about 10K miles...give or take.
To do this, I have to run over sometimes on the oil change or the rotation....big deal. It's never caused a problem.
My long time trusted local experts tell me that I shouldn't, but it works.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I'm pretty sure that (unsubstantiated assertion.) In fact, I know one guy who (anecdote) and another who (anecdote), and both of them said that after that they'd (never/always) be sure to (employ/reject) (unproven procedure.)

Now, if you look at the owner's manual they'll say to do it different, but they only say that because they're trying to get you to (conspiratorial hypothesis.) In fact, a better way to do it is to look at (irrelevant parameter) and you can see right there for yourself if you need to take action or not. Between that and common sense, the answer is clear.

But don't take my word for it, (famous personality with zero expertise) says that they do it the way I said, and they've (never/always) had (conflate correlation with causation here.) Besides, that's the way my Pappy taught me, and that's good enough for me.
Semper Augustus
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Note that most factory oil change intervals specify to change the filter every other change. So if a normal oil change is 7500 miles, a filter would be changed every 15K miles. I always change both at the same time because I just didn't like the half quart of dirty oil remaining in the filter at each change. So pushing it to 20K isn't that much of a push, especially if the filter is designed for it (multiple stages of filtering).

The OP's car was old, so warranty issues are probably moot. When Mobil-1 first came out in the 70's my dad used it and did "extended" changes without issue (we kept cars for 10 to 15 years). Back then, he went 8K to 10K miles between changes because the normal change interval was 3K. Probably added a quart between changes too because engines of that era all seemed to use some oil.

We are so spoiled now - no bearings to grease, no points, distributor caps or rotors to set/change, timing doesn't change, oil changes are much longer, most things are much more reliable (but harder to replace).
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
whomever

Post by whomever »

Let's hypothesize that the engine has an MTBF of 300k miles with 7500 mile oil changes, but an MTBF of 200k miles with 20000 mile changes, and an oil change costs $40.

If you get rid of the car at 200k miles anyway, you spend $200 on oil changes from 100k to 200k miles. If you do 7500 mile changes you spent $520 on oil changes, so you spent an extra $320 - if the car lasts to 200k (it's Mean Time Between Failures, not Guaranteed Time Between Failures). If the car has an oil related failure at 180000 miles figure out what that 20000 miles was worth to you.

If you plan to sell the car at 200000 miles, consider what difference skipping the maintenance will have on what the buyer will pay (maybe nothing, if you sell it at Carmax w/o maintenance records, maybe a lot if you sell it privately and can show the buyer records of regular maintenance).

I tend to keep cars until something major - the engine or transmission - breaks, so I'm pretty meticulous about maintaining the engine and transmission. But if you are planning to get rid of it anyway, it might be rational to be less meticulous.
AznSaver

Post by AznSaver »

hmw wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:02 pm Not sure about the filter. My filter is screwed on horizontally under the car. I have always changed the filter after draining the oil. Will I lose a ton of oil if I attempt to change the filter only?
If you were doing a filter only change you would want to use an oil siphon to pull most of the oil and then remove the filter. The oil lost would only be what was in the filter. Replace with a new filter partially filled, return the removed oil and then check the level... However at that point you might as well have just done a full oil change...

Why save a few bucks on oil only to potentially reduce the life of your engine? I only think of extended life oils as a safety margin for people who cannot change oil themselves and sometimes might have to wait for service.
hudson

Post by hudson »

suemarkp wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:30 pm Note that most factory oil change intervals specify to change the filter every other change.
suemarkp,
I don't know if that's still prevalent?
My 2018 Toyota calls for a 10K synthetic oil change with filter unless....

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads
Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading
Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C
Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or
door-to-door delivery use

In those cases, the manual recommends oil and filter changes.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/documen ... Runner.pdf

I remember the 3K oil changes...what a pain. I read about synthetic back then but I was too cheap.
I also remember the 6K adjust the valves interval in a VW Beetle. VWs didn't have removeable oil filters, it was drain and refill.
Last edited by hudson on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Why not just follow what the manufacturer suggests
vested1

Post by vested1 »

squirm wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:08 pm
My FIL writes the mileage down and changes it exactly at the 3000 mark, God forbid if it goes 2 miles over that...and it's always "the big day" when he changes it...and he's gotta have everything all planned out for the big day....and then I get to hear about his oil change for an hour when I see him. I guess it all makes him feel good but none of this cars/trucks last any longer than mine.
Reminds me of that commercial where the man stands at the front of the class and teaches young nerds how to act their age, rather than acting like old people.

"No one wants to know when you got up".

Now:
"No one wants to know when you changed your oil". :wink:

Post by 999 »

My 2014 4cy outback has the oil filter on top of the motor. Easiest oil change on any vehicle I’ve had. Could swap it without much oil loss “if desired”.

Subaru recently changed the OCI from 7,500 to 6,000 on the same motor (for the 4cy, I don’t know offhand on the 6cy).

The horizontally oriented motors seem to burn more oil than others. As mentioned be sure to keep an eye on the oil level if going an extended amount.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

hunoraut wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:56 am Why not just follow what the manufacturer suggests
Cut it out with that crazy talk :P

----

I just get the oil, filter and drain plug washer changed when the maintenance reminders appear, which works out to around every 7500 miles.

Also, +1 for Blackstone Laboratories mentioned above.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
jeffG

Post by jeffG »

I have always run oil changes to factory recommendation, and on my wife’s pacifica, it’s usually around 10-11,000 miles. I did have a rod bearing failure back in 77, but that was a Vega. Bearing failures are mighty rare nowadays. Changing every 3k is just wasting money. My vette When I was working we were pushing diesel truck oil changes to 50,000 miles (Cummins 15L) and now I’ve heard some are at 60,000 miles. And Their duty cycle is much higher than automotive.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

What do BHs think?

Thanks
Measuring miles between oil changes is just an attempt to be a proxy for engine usage, and it may not be a very good one. If you are idling for hours, pulling trailers up the hills by death valley in summer, driving short trips in heavy stop/go traffic, starting in cold conditions and stopping before the engine can be warmed up for a long time, then you should consider changing oil more often.

Synthetic oil is good stuff and can last a long time. If you changed your oil and then drove across the country a few times on the freeways, the oil would likely still have plenty of life in it. But the oil life is not the only consideration. Contaminants get in the oil when the engine is running. Water gets in there too and causes other problems if it doesn't have a chance to vaporize in a hot engine for a while. Filters get dirty. Even if the base oil is perfect, the fluids moving in your engine lubrication system are no longer just the synthetic oil you poured in at the last change.
Maybe 20,000 miles would be fine, but at that super long length, it is worth verifying with analysis. It would take me over 4 years to get to 20,000 in some vehicles, and I wouldn't want to let my engine galleries bathe in oil that old, unless it was in storage with fresh oil.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

What do BHs think?

Thanks
Sure, you can go 20K miles between oil changes. However, that Subaru might not make it to 200K mikes, but then think about how much you have saved on oil changes and you can bank those savings towards an engine rebuild or vehicle replacement. :moneybag :mrgreen:
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

Wow - pretty calm discussion compared to some motorcycle forums where the oil arguments get heated and go on forever! I am an old 3,000 mile do it yourself oil change guy who now enjoys the longer intervals and having the shop do it. I recently took our Toyota to the dealer for an oil change at 8500 miles before a long trip and they seemed quite miffed that I was doing it so early.
rhoptry

Post by rhoptry »

A reason to change oil more often is that today's cars use motor oil as a hydraulic fluid, operating the variable valve timing, timing chain tensioners, etc. Oil must flow through screens with tiny orifices. Motor oil also lubricates turbochargers where it experiences high rpms and high heat. In contrast to the old days, today's motor oil is not just a lubricating liquid.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

There are different grades of Mobil 1. I think you know that based on the title (extended performance). Some are good for longer life but some aren't aren't.

Personally I use Amsoil signature grade, which is rated for 25k or one year. I change it once a year. It's anecdotal but both of our cars have used it their entire lives and each are pushing 200K.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

zxllxz wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:42 am Take a look at Blackstone Laboratories (https://www.blackstone-labs.com/). They are an oil testing service used by fleets. I have used them in the past to check on unusual engine wear. If you regularly have your oil tested they can tell you what the oil change interval should be for your usage.
+1
Have used these labs for a long time and adjust my oil change intervals accordingly.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r »

A friend of mine mentioned that gallons of gas burned were a better indicator miles. That way if towing/or doing stop and go you will end up changing sooner. Also catches idle time.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Does anyone use conventional oil??
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:51 am Are there any oil filters rated to 20,000 miles? I buy extended life filters because Toyota says to change oil every 10,000 miles.
I've tried the Fram Ultra Synthetic and it's a solid filter, but I only put about 10k miles over 2 years on it. For typical engines, I would have no problems using them to 20k. I don't drive enough now to benefit from it, but if I did 20k/year, I'd do annual oil changes with it and 20k oil.

https://www.amazon.com/XG7317-Ultra-Syn ... 000C33MI2/

Don't know if they make them fit Toyota though.
David Jay wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm I am a long time Mobil 1 user. I run extended length between oil changes, but change the filter at 7500.
That's kind of the opposite of what one of vehicles manual specified. Pretty much only change filter every other oil change.
"A Replace just the engine oil."
"B Replace the engine oil, oil filter..."
https://www.dchparamushonda.com/honda-m ... ice-system

I ignore that and change both whenever it needs to get done. And I ignore the maintenance minder if the oil and filter are way overspec.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Depends... if you will keep it forever, do as you please. But, at some point you may need to sell it, and 10,000 OCI will look better than 20,000 OCI.
illumination

Post by illumination »

1210sda wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 pm Does anyone use conventional oil??
I stopped a while back, I honestly think it costs you more money to use conventional. Let's say you get twice the miles with a synthetic (5k vs 10k miles) you've more than paid the difference right there. And since I never change the oil without a filter change, it means two filters changes when I do two conventional oil changes.

And that's not even getting into the slightly better fuel economy, lower heat, and less engine wear that comes from synthetic.

I like to change my own oil, a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 is around $20 at Walmart. A 5 quart jug of conventional is around $12. I'd like to think my time alone is worth $8.

On really older vehicles like a classic car with a carburetor, I can see a case being made for conventional. But there's all sorts of debates on that.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

bloom2708 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:59 am I would not go 20k miles.

Unburnt fuel seeps into the oil.

That makes it the dark color.

I would follow your car guidelines and how the oil looks after 5,000 or 7,500 or 10k
Excluding cases where it looks like another substance entirely, appearance is the single worst way to judge oil condition. My oil turns dark after less than 10 miles, and pitch black in less than 100. And yet after 13,000+ miles, it is still providing excellent protection characteristics, as evidenced by a detailed chemical analysis.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

always surprising how much focus there is on a standard oil change but not on servicing ones transmission where one does hear of failures far more frequently.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

F150HD wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:08 am always surprising how much focus there is on a standard oil change but not on servicing ones transmission where one does hear of failures far more frequently.
That's because transmission service requirements vary widely. A number of manufacturers use sealed transmission reservoirs and tell people to leave it alone. Even if they have a drain plug, you can't drain and fill such a transmission, as most of the fluid will remain in the system. You can flush it, which is generally a bad idea for all transmissions, as a flush can stir up debris and that, in turn, can cause transmission problems.

Hence, the reason that it's important to follow their manufacturer's recommendations, as an unnecessary/improperly done transmission service can actually cause transmission failures.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

F150HD wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:08 am always surprising how much focus there is on a standard oil change but not on servicing ones transmission where one does hear of failures far more frequently.
I think that's in part because the relationship between lubrication and wear is fairly straightforward. But automatic transmissions are tantamount to sorcery, and since in a plurality of cases consumers don't experience a failure even if they completely ignore transmission maintenance, it seems to be a safe bet. Especially since the service can be quite expensive. I had mine done in the fall at a trustworthy independent mechanic, and the bill was nearly $800 between the new pan (which includes the filter), seals, single-use screws, 7 quarts of unicorn blood, and of course labor.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

Mobil 1 EP is excellent. One of the best oils on the market.
Can it go 20K miles? Maybe, it depends.

Should you go 20K miles in your vehicle? No, you should follow your vehicle manufacturers recommendations.
Short of following that, as others have said, you would really need an oil analysis done to justify going beyond your vehicles recommendations.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

If you're driving 20k miles/year, I'd favor oil changes 2x/year (10k miles) using M1 EP. M1 EP is good oil, but I personally wouldn't push it to 15-20k miles. If your engine is turbo or supercharged, I certainly wouldn't push it past 10k.

If you absolutely must push it to 20k miles per oil change, I'd switch over to Amsoil Signature oil & filter. But that's a much more expensive option, esp given the discount pricing of M1 EP at Walmart + mail in rebates. Amsoil Signature changes can run $70-90 just for supplies. Amsoil is great oil, but can be hard to justify financially for DDs. Also need to watch the M1 oil filters, which used to be one of the best, but some model #s have been cheapened in recent years.

Also shouldn't need to be said, but if you use M1, you need to ensure you're grabbing the right jug as they make several different grades in the same weight. EP and AP are their best. Standard, AFE and others are not.
hudson

Transmission Maintenance Interval?

Post by hudson »

UALflyer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:07 am
That's because transmission service requirements vary widely. A number of manufacturers use sealed transmission reservoirs and tell people to leave it alone. Even if they have a drain plug, you can't drain and fill such a transmission, as most of the fluid will remain in the system. You can flush it, which is generally a bad idea for all transmissions, as a flush can stir up debris and that, in turn, can cause transmission problems.

Hence, the reason that it's important to follow their manufacturer's recommendations, as an unnecessary/improperly done transmission service can actually cause transmission failures.
I searched the owners and maintenance manual on my 2018 4Runner and found no recommendation for changing the transmission fluid....for normal use. I haven't seen a transmission check dipstick in years. I speculate that at least with Toyota truck type vehicles that transmissions are sealed.

I also searched some other forums and found many recommendations for heavily used transmissions, but not a lot for normal use. From reading the forums, I speculate that one would be OK waiting until 100K or later to do transmission service.
JDave

Post by JDave »

No, 20,000 miles is too much for any oil
illumination

Post by illumination »

That's a whole other can of worms. I'm not really sure why manufacturers made transmission fluid changes so difficult on modern cars, but it honestly seems to introduce more potential problems than leaving it alone.

I remember I had a Lexus LS with "lifetime" fluid, and to properly change the fluid, you had to have a specific and (expensive) scanner from Toyota . It was also an incredibly complex procedure how it was filled. But the dealerships refused to touch it, and I called several. Said it was lifetime and not to mess with it. They didn't want to change the fluid. It set off alarm bells when a dealership didn't want money for a service so I just kept driving the car and racking up miles I sold the car with like 180k miles on what I'm fairly certain was the original fluid and it shifted perfectly.

It bothered my OCD to have this, but when I poked around on some automotive forums, the only time transmission problems seems to occur was when someone tried to change their fluid on that particular model.