Haven't used propane fireplace in long time--help

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
is50xenough

Haven't used propane fireplace in long time--help

Post by is50xenough »

Haven't used propane fireplace in like a decade. what would you do to make sure it works without setting house on fire or something?
RickBoglehead

Re: Haven't used propane fireplace in long time--help

Post by RickBoglehead »

Check connections with a soapy sponge, putting soapy bubbles on every connection. Charge the line, with the burner off, and see if you get any bubbles.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Pay to have it serviced by a professional.

Money well spent. $150 give or take.
Mid-40’s
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

is50xenough wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:09 pm Haven't used propane fireplace in like a decade. what would you do to make sure it works without setting house on fire or something?
Hire a professional.
whomever

Post by whomever »

I'd turn on the gas (I'm assuming there is a valve for it), and if I didn't smell any leaks, I'd light it.

Maybe give the outdoor vent a look-see to make sure a bird didn't build a nest or whatever.

FYI, ours are a sheet metal box that contains the fake logs, which is vented through the wall to outside, inside a bigger sheet metal box that is vented to the inside of the house, so the heat can get out. Over the summer, dust collects on the outside of the inner box, like it would anywhere else. In early fall, when it's still warm enough to open windows, I light them up so the accumulated dust layer can cook off, because it smells nasty. Then when I light them over the winter there isn't any smell.
Topic Author
is50xenough

Post by is50xenough »

Responses appreciated so far.

Main concern is setting house on fire---if no odor and no leaks on outside propane tanks or tubes by bubble test, is there still concern about fire?

We do plan on hiring professional, just want to make sure they check for all appropriate stuff since even with professionals "results may vary" :happy

Will continue to study responses.

Appreciated!
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Inspect for rust/deterioration of the gas tubes. If ok blow the out with compressed air as spiders and other little creatures like to inhabit them.
Topic Author
is50xenough

Post by is50xenough »

Just an update to close the loop.

Professional came over. Replaced one of two empty tanks with a full tank and got fireplace started. Took some tweaking likely due to dust/air in system. Now working well. Said did bubble tests and all kinds of other inspection for leaks.

All inputs above appreciated.

Cost was a bit more than I expected but so be it.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I hope you have at least one CO detector in your house.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

niagara_guy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 pm I hope you have at least one CO detector in your house.
+1 ... with an explosive gas detector.

We have this one next to our gas fireplace insert/stove.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1