IPhone Battery Replacement?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waltman300

IPhone Battery Replacement?

Post by waltman300 »

I got an old iphone se bought many years ago when it first came out. I believe like almost two years later... i was able to go to apple store and have them replace the battery for a cheap price... think thirty dollars plus tax because of that promo they had for bad batteries.

Now... few years later, my iphone se battery is pretty bad. Health meter shows 85%... but i notice it drains really fast. I believe last battery change was two years ago. Do all of you replace your iphone batteries around that time or even faster than that?

Also... do almost all of you go to apple store and have them replace it? I know when i did it last time, you left the iphone with them and came back in an hour and they replace it during the time. Now... i recall i put a passcode on it for obvious reason. But what security measures should you take when you get battery change at apple store since well the workers could snoop in your phone if it doesn't have a passcode. I read you should make your iphone automatically wipe clean after l0 wrong passcode tries... right?

Now do you all make sure you sign out of all email accounts and any account that you are logged in as well?

Or do you feel as long as you put passcode and put l0 passcode tries before it auto wipes itself... then you are fine? I read someone suggested whenever you get battery replaced for an iphone at apple store... back everything up... then wipe it clean. Bring iphone to store to have them replace battery... then back everything back in. That seem too extreme though.

Thoughts on this?
Topic Author
waltman300

Re: IPhone Battery Replacement?

Post by waltman300 »

I also considered buying a battery myself and going to a shop for them to put in the new battery but that is obviously a bad idea right? And any battery you buy online is not official apple battery so that is not a good idea? I do know if you know how to install it yourself... which i don't... you could do that for security reasons... but i got to assume just put the passcode and it wiping itself after l0 tries is more than good enough?
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I gave my daughter my old 6s.

It’s battery was terrible.

I just ordered a replacement kit off Amazon. It comes with the tools and battery you need to open the phone and replace the battery. It only cost $25, and is a higher capacity than the original. She goes days in between charging now. I’m very happy.

Lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Takes about 20 minutes if you really take your time.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've only once ever replaced an iPhone battery. I'd still be using my 4S if it were able to interface with my company's email, but it doesn't. Last year, my 5S was only lasting about 10 hours. I used the external battery for a while and wish I had just stuck with that. I bought a replacement battery kit. Bricked the phone. I bought a used first generation SE and it's been fine. If its battery starts getting weak, I have the external battery to hook up and will run the charger from ac or my laptop or my car. I have never been in an apple store, ever. If they would replace the battery for $25, I would have just had them do that.

I personally would not care if apple store people snooped in my phone. I can't even think what anyone would have on their phone that they would care that the whole world would see (which hackers certainly can). Maybe I'm just boring with my mom's phone number and wife's email addresses stored. Meh.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 am I personally would not care if apple store people snooped in my phone. I can't even think what anyone would have on their phone that they would care that the whole world would see (which hackers certainly can). Maybe I'm just boring with my mom's phone number and wife's email addresses stored. Meh.
I guess you don't use the apps from your financial institutions or any online shopping apps or medical apps or Apple Pay.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

1. Backup and erase your phone. This is what Apple recommends.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201557
The reason is because the replacement may damage your phone irreparably.

2. I do not have the phone wipe itself after x tries. My work phone wiped itself at least once a month when I left the phone on the couch for 1 second. That was enough time for my toddler to get ahold of it. That's 2-3 hours wasted resetting the phone each time. It took 6 months of training before the adult finally learned to stop leaving their work phone unguarded. I can't turn off this setting because work requires it. The FBI had issues breaking into an iPhone. I'm comfortable with that level of security on my personal phone. I can still remotely wipe it if I lose the phone.

3. I have no issues with third party repairs. I don't know why it's obviously bad.

4. I can replace phone screens myself but I don't replace phone batteries. By the time the phone needs new batteries, it's usually 2-4 years later and time for a new phone. The only time I paid for it was when Apple charged $29 for it 3 years ago on my 6s. Like you, 2 years later it was showing signs of weakness. I replaced it with an SE2 for free after trading in the 6s on a tmobile promo deal.

Consider an iPhone SE is near end of life at this point and likely won't get the next iOS update in 5 months. The $49 replacement cost is better put towards an iPhone SE2 or iPhone 12 mini. You can trade in your SE for half off an iPhone 12 mini right now if you're on TMobile.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:12 am I personally would not care if apple store people snooped in my phone. I can't even think what anyone would have on their phone that they would care that the whole world would see (which hackers certainly can). Maybe I'm just boring with my mom's phone number and wife's email addresses stored. Meh.
I guess you don't use the apps from your financial institutions or any online shopping apps or medical apps or Apple Pay.
Most if not all these apps can be secured by FaceID and Touch ID.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am Now... few years later, my iphone se battery is pretty bad. Health meter shows 85%... but i notice it drains really fast. I believe last battery change was two years ago. Do all of you replace your iphone batteries around that time or even faster than that?
I had my iPhone battery replaced a few years back on an iPhone 6 at an Apple store and it worked well for about six months and then started degrading a lot faster than the original battery did and after a couple years it was completely shot which is why I went to an iPhone 12 last fall. According to the tech at Apple I spoke with, new batteries don't last as long if you continually update your phone to the new software. Changes in the software and other tweaks affect the battery life on older phones more than new phones. So even if you get a second battery replacement, I wouldn't be optimistic that it would last any longer than the first one.

As for security, I'm pretty sure I had to either give them my phone code or turn it off before I got the battery replaced. Before going, I backed up my phone and made sure my password manager was set to require passwords every time so that they couldn't get into any app without knowing my password. Seems pretty extreme to delete your phone and reset it up again afterwards.
RedDog

Post by RedDog »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 am I gave my daughter my old 6s.

It’s battery was terrible.

I just ordered a replacement kit off Amazon. It comes with the tools and battery you need to open the phone and replace the battery. It only cost $25, and is a higher capacity than the original. She goes days in between charging now. I’m very happy.

Lots of videos on YouTube on how to do it. Takes about 20 minutes if you really take your time.
+3...cause my family and I have DIY’ed 3 IPhone batteries...just work carefully and follow the instructions.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

I like to mention my iphone se is unlocked... so i could use it abroad which is what i do. Thus when im back in the US, i want to get a new battery.

Also... isnt se the new version about the same? Previously i got the SE because i liked the smaller screen... but now im wondering if i could get bigger screen.

I also am not going to spend 800 dollars plus for a new iphone... that to me is ridiculous. You all still suggest apple store and replace the battery there? Also when i mentioned about employees snooping... i meant like financial data and apps on your iphone. So wouldnt just make the setting of reset iphone after l0 passcode tries be good enough then? Since well if you get your iphone back and its erased... you know they were trying to guess your passcode etc? Last time when i had iphone battery replaced... i put passcode but didnt know about the erase/wipe iphone after l0 wrong tries etc. But im pretty certain they didn't check anything since well... they literally have to type every number from 0-6 digits etc.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm I like to mention my iphone se is unlocked... so i could use it abroad which is what i do. Thus when im back in the US, i want to get a new battery.
If you are in Hong Kong or China you could get the battery replaced cheaper than in the USA, at least what I am told.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm I like to mention my iphone se is unlocked... so i could use it abroad which is what i do. Thus when im back in the US, i want to get a new battery.

Also... isnt se the new version about the same? Previously i got the SE because i liked the smaller screen... but now im wondering if i could get bigger screen.

I also am not going to spend 800 dollars plus for a new iphone... that to me is ridiculous. You all still suggest apple store and replace the battery there? Also when i mentioned about employees snooping... i meant like financial data and apps on your iphone. So wouldnt just make the setting of reset iphone after l0 passcode tries be good enough then? Since well if you get your iphone back and its erased... you know they were trying to guess your passcode etc? Last time when i had iphone battery replaced... i put passcode but didnt know about the erase/wipe iphone after l0 wrong tries etc. But im pretty certain they didn't check anything since well... they literally have to type every number from 0-6 digits etc.
The 2020 SE(2) is $400 regular price down to free if you can find a promo deal. It has a larger screen than the SE at 4" versus 4.7". All carriers will unlock your phone for free for international use. It's unlocking for use in the US that requires the phone to be fully paid off first. Apple and any reputable merchant will require that you unlock and remove the passcode before they can upgrade the battery. There is no way for us to test the phone is put back together correctly, otherwise.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

mmmodem wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 pm Apple and any reputable merchant will require that you unlock and remove the passcode before they can upgrade the battery. There is no way for us to test the phone is put back together correctly, otherwise.
This was not my experience when I had Apple replace the battery on my iPhone 8. I ensured that the device was locked before handing it to them. They did not ask me to unlock it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

vfinx wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm
mmmodem wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:49 pm Apple and any reputable merchant will require that you unlock and remove the passcode before they can upgrade the battery. There is no way for us to test the phone is put back together correctly, otherwise.
This was not my experience when I had Apple replace the battery on my iPhone 8. I ensured that the device was locked before handing it to them. They did not ask me to unlock it.
They had me remove the passcode or write it down and turn off find my iPhone feature when I got my battery replaced. The reason was so they could test the phone after battery installation.
Leif

Post by Leif »

waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am Now... few years later, my iphone se battery is pretty bad. Health meter shows 85%... but i notice it drains really fast. I believe last battery change was two years ago. Do all of you replace your iphone batteries around that time or even faster than that?
After 4 years of use I had my original battery changed at Apple. Then 2 years after that I change it again at Apple. Then recently the battery started to expand and fail.

I was really surprised. I had Apple replace it again, but it seems the quality is not as good as my original battery.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm
They had me remove the passcode or write it down and turn off find my iPhone feature when I got my battery replaced. The reason was so they could test the phone after battery installation.
Further research suggests this used to be a requirement, but is no longer the case starting with iOS 10.3, when Apple allowed for their diagnostic tools to be used on the device without it being unlocked.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

vfinx wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 pm
lthenderson wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:50 pm
Further research suggests this used to be a requirement, but is no longer the case starting with iOS 10.3, when Apple allowed for their diagnostic tools to be used on the device without it being unlocked.
Nice to know. Thanks for the update. :sharebeer
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay so my battery health on my iphone is now 84%. Last night it was 50%. When i got up today, it was literally 1%. So that is obviously a sign of getting it replaced right?

What battery health percentage do most of you get before you go and change battery for iphone and how often do you change it assuming you keep the iphone and not buy new ones every two years etc.

Would any of you suggest swapping/trading it for a new one? Now my other issue is this. I use a sim card that is abroad... so i would want the same sim card to work on a new iphone if i choose to get one. But would the sim card i have fit into any of the new iphone such as even the new iphone SE?
starboi

Post by starboi »

Battery health around 80% is considered "spent" i.e. end of life.

I have never swapped batteries on a phone. Swapping batteries IMO is an anachronistic idea. Just better to buy a new phone given advances in technology and the fact that older hardware is more vulnerable to attacks.

The sim in your iPhone SE 1st gen will fit into any other current iPhone. However you would want to insure that your new phone is either unlocked, or locked to the same carrier.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Hi. Well few years ago, i went to apple to get new iphone se battery because they had that promo where it only cost thirty dollars plus tax i believe to get it and it worked good. So thats why i was considering it.

But if i get new iphone... you suggest iphone SE new version? I dont want to spend a ton however on it such as whatever is the new up to date iphone. Yea any new iphone i get... would definitely be unlocked. Again i use it abroad so i use the abroad sim at the moment etc.
Leif

Post by Leif »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 pm Okay so my battery health on my iphone is now 84%. Last night it was 50%. When i got up today, it was literally 1%. So that is obviously a sign of getting it replaced right?
Same happened to me. Is it phone case cracking open? That is a sure sign the battery is on its last legs.
starboi

Post by starboi »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm Hi. Well few years ago, i went to apple to get new iphone se battery because they had that promo where it only cost thirty dollars plus tax i believe to get it and it worked good. So thats why i was considering it.

But if i get new iphone... you suggest iphone SE new version? I dont want to spend a ton however on it such as whatever is the new up to date iphone. Yea any new iphone i get... would definitely be unlocked. Again i use it abroad so i use the abroad sim at the moment etc.
walt,

It's very likely that when the next update to the iPhone operating system (iOS 15) is released this year, your old iPhone will be too old to run it. You will not get the latest software updates anymore. Rarely, Apple does patch older operating systems for serious security vulnerabilities.

iPhone SE second gen is a good phone, recommended.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pm But if i get new iphone... you suggest iphone SE new version? I dont want to spend a ton however on it such as whatever is the new up to date iphone.
The plain vanilla retail price is $399 - it's probably the best deal out there for a new, relatively powerful smartphone. You can do better than that if you wait around for a good carrier deal. My wife's was free thru bill credit on Tmobile.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am I got an old iphone se bought many years ago when it first came out. I believe like almost two years later... i was able to go to apple store and have them replace the battery for a cheap price... think thirty dollars plus tax because of that promo they had for bad batteries.

waltman300,

You can get an IPhone SE case with build-in battery. It is about $20. No repair and/or visit to the shop needed.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm
waltman300 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am I got an old iphone se bought many years ago when it first came out. I believe like almost two years later... i was able to go to apple store and have them replace the battery for a cheap price... think thirty dollars plus tax because of that promo they had for bad batteries.

waltman300,

You can get an IPhone SE case with build-in battery. It is about $20. No repair and/or visit to the shop needed.

KlangFool
Sure, but these aren't thin and light. Now you have an iPhone SE in a massive, ugly case. Kind of defeats the small phone concept. But it is an option, granted.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:00 pm
KlangFool wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm

waltman300,

KlangFool
Sure, but these aren't thin and light. Now you have an iPhone SE in a massive, ugly case. Kind of defeats the small phone concept. But it is an option, granted.
A) Correct. But, it is cheaper and in many cases, it is a bigger battery. IMHO, it is a better alternative that spending/wasting a lot more money on an old phone.

B) As far as I know, they are not that big.

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Charg ... NrPXRydWU=

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:34 pmBut if i get new iphone... you suggest iphone SE new version?
That's what I did. I liked the first generation SE for the small size (I do most of my work on a tablet, my phone is for phone calls).

I upgraded to the SE 2020 last year. It is a little bit bigger, but I got used to having it in my pocket in a couple of weeks. It basically has the iPhone 10 guts and camera, big improvement all around.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay to the person that ask is it phone case cracking open? What do you mean by this? I dont understand what you asking here. But i keep my iphone in a plastic case but its the type where it covers the back only. Like it isn't one of those otterman cases where it completely covers everything. I never liked those cases. I mean i have dropped my phone few times but there is no crack in the screen or anything. I bought this iphone pretty close to when it came out so around 4.5 years ago. The condition is very good etc. The battery replacement was very good when i got it about 2.5 years ago. I googled and checked to see when was the last time apple had that discount promo for new battery and it ended around late 2018 which meant i got it around then. So instead of 2 years... i actually got the battery replacement 2.5 years ago. So by this, obviously a battery replacement is in order then after this long of a time right?

I also do any IOS update when its available. So whatever is the current IOS... i have it. But you telling me when the (iOS 15) is released this year, then my old iphone SE would be deemed useless? Or you mean i could still use it for just won't be able to install updates which put my iphone at risk for security? My previous iphone was an iphone 4s before i went to the SE. So that can't even run the current IOS now? So what do people with that old iphone do then? Can they even use it?

Okay so it cost $399 for it now. But thats with the minimum amount of storage right? I see for 50 more dollars you can double the storage. Then again, i dont even use come close to using even the 64gb it has etc. So you would say just stick with that storage? I like to mention... i am using it abroad so i won't be using it with any carrier. Thus i want it unlocked...

What is iphone SE case with built in battery? Im not sure what you mean by this. I never heard of anything like this. The case im using is fine... its a ten dollar one i bought off amazon a while back. I typically buy a new one ever few year since it gets yellowish etc.

Is the new SE that came last year... you feel better than the old SE? Again i bought the iphone SE years ago mainly because i wanted smaller size and price was lowest so i sticked with it. I mean i dont mind having a bigger size phone as long as it isn't too big. But would you say size is generally good compared to whatever is the most popular iphone out now? I dont even know what is the latest iphone etc.

So you all suggest just get the iphone SE 2020 then in my situation as oppose to just getting battery replaced?
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 pm
What is iphone SE case with built in battery? Im not sure what you mean by this. I never heard of anything like this. The case im using is fine... its a ten dollar one i bought off amazon a while back. I typically buy a new one ever few year since it gets yellowish etc.
waltman300,

It looks like a normal case. Except it is around $20 and it has a battery as part of the case. So, you have 2 batteries: one in the case and one in the Iphone. It is cheap enough that I never buy an IPhone case without battery. This will solve your battery problem since you have a new battery in the case. Please check out the link on my previous post.

KlangFool
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

I took a look at it. Does it work with only the new iphone SE or does it work with the old iphoe SE as well? Seems to say it works with the 6, 7 and 8 but i obviously dont have those iphones. So i will either keep my iphone SE... or get the new iphone SE from last year.

Now other thing is this. I read in comments you need apple airpods or it won't work? When you buy a new iphone SE, it just comes with the regular standard corded earbuds right? So i need to buy the apple airpods in order for this to work?

I do carry one of those power banks and the iphone cable with me at times but obviously that isn't as convenient.

So im confused with this case. So the case is like a power bank itself? So for example once the iphone battery runs out or close to it... then it uses this case to charge it?

But are you suggesting this so i could use my old iphone SE with the old battery and not buy the new iphone SE? Or you mean whether i get the old iphone se battery replacement or new iphone SE... just buy this as well for backup battery?

So do most people here say just get the new iphone SE and forget about the old iphone SE i have? Again my old iphone SE is very functional and very good condition etc.
starboi

Post by starboi »

David Jay wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 pm

It basically has the iPhone 10 guts and camera, big improvement all around.
David, iPhone SE 2020 has an A13 chip in it, which was also in the iPhone 11, not the iPhone 10. iPhone 10 had the A11 chip.
starboi

Post by starboi »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 pm Or you mean i could still use it for just won't be able to install updates which put my iphone at risk for security?
Yes, that is what I mean.
waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 pm
My previous iphone was an iphone 4s before i went to the SE. So that can't even run the current IOS now? So what do people with that old iphone do then? Can they even use it?
iPhone 4s was not upgradeable to iOS 10, which was released on September 13, 2016.

Most people do not keep their old phones, they trade them in when they get new phones.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

starboi wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm
David Jay wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 pm

It basically has the iPhone 10 guts and camera, big improvement all around.
David, iPhone SE 2020 has an A13 chip in it, which was also in the iPhone 11, not the iPhone 10. iPhone 10 had the A11 chip.
So it’s even better! :happy
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:46 pm I took a look at it. Does it work with only the new iphone SE or does it work with the old iphoe SE as well? Seems to say it works with the 6, 7 and 8 but i obviously dont have those iphones. So i will either keep my iphone SE... or get the new iphone SE from last year.
Assuming you're asking about a battery case here. You would need to buy one specifically for the iPhone SE (the original, not the 2020 model), or the iPhone 6/6s. The iPhone 7 and 8 are larger and a case would not fit both an iPhone 7 and original SE. Can you share what you were considering?

It would be helpful if you asked one question at a time. Your posts are very lengthy and ask many unrelated questions, which is making the answers you receive a bit disjointed.

The new iPhone SE does NOT include a traditional headphone jack (most mainstream smartphones have gone that route now). You can use the Lightning-port earbuds or buy Bluetooth ones (no need for the actual Apple AirPods).
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starboi

Post by starboi »

Apple no longer includes earbuds with any of the phones they sell.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Wait so anyone that has the old iphone like the iPhone 4s, they are not using the iphone anymore? Or some people still use it but use the old IOS before iOS 10? I had that iphone but reason why i upgraded to the IPhone SE years ago was that iphone had tons of issues with battery and eventually stopped working etc.

I had no idea iphones no longer come with traditional headphone jack. So what does the iphone SE the one from last year come with when you get it? No earbud/earphones at all? Since which iphone edition did they not include the earbuds? I had no idea about that is and wow that is ridiculous.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm Wait so anyone that has the old iphone like the iPhone 4s, they are not using the iphone anymore? Or some people still use it but use the old IOS before iOS 10?
The number of iPhones 4s in active use must be tiny. That's a ten year old phone. What's more, carriers are dropping the older 2G and 3G networks so these phones are barely usable ( and insecure). By 2022 you won't be able to use an iPhone 4 or 4s anywhere in the US if I recall correctly.
I had no idea iphones no longer come with traditional headphone jack. So what does the iphone SE the one from last year come with when you get it? No earbud/earphones at all? Since which iphone edition did they not include the earbuds? I had no idea about that is and wow that is ridiculous.
It came with earbuds that plug into the Lightning port when it was released, but Apple changed the policy with the launch of the iPhone 12. Now none of their phones include a charger or earbuds.

One can argue either way, but the idea was that everyone already had a drawer full of them. You'll need to buy your own.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Okay so that means the iphone SE the new one from last year... also doesn't come with any earbuds as well?

So do you all recommend for me to get just a new iphone SE... or new battery for my old iphone SE?
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I replace my phone battery every 2 years, and get a new phone every 4 years. So every phone I get gets 1 new battery before it's retired.
Uniswap

Post by Uniswap »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:43 pm Okay so that means the iphone SE the new one from last year... also doesn't come with any earbuds as well?
Correct.
Uniswap

Post by Uniswap »

waltman300 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:43 pm
So do you all recommend for me to get just a new iphone SE... or new battery for my old iphone SE?
I recommend a new SE 2nd generation, if you can afford it.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I don't.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 pm
I don't.
You're the exception here. Most of the rest of us do.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Now... few years later, my iphone se battery is pretty bad. Health meter shows 85%... but i notice it drains really fast. I believe last battery change was two years ago. Do all of you replace your iphone batteries around that time or even faster than that?

Also... do almost all of you go to apple store and have them replace it? I know when i did it last time, you left the iphone with them and came back in an hour and they replace it during the time. Now... i recall i put a passcode on it for obvious reason. But what security measures should you take when you get battery change at apple store since well the workers could snoop in your phone if it doesn't have a passcode. I read you should make your iphone automatically wipe clean after l0 wrong passcode tries... right?

Now do you all make sure you sign out of all email accounts and any account that you are logged in as well?

Or do you feel as long as you put passcode and put l0 passcode tries before it auto wipes itself... then you are fine? I read someone suggested whenever you get battery replaced for an iphone at apple store... back everything up... then wipe it clean. Bring iphone to store to have them replace battery... then back everything back in. That seem too extreme though.

Thoughts on this?
I use Apple's battery replacement. I've had them to do several. I do the mail in. They ask you to backup your phone and wipe it. They turned the phone around in a day or two. I'm sure that I got back a different phone. It appeared to be new. it's still working fine after about 3 years. I go with Apple because they send you a phone that's guaranteed to work.
Here's the deal: https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair ... tery-power
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

starboi wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:09 pm Apple no longer includes earbuds with any of the phones they sell.
Bought the SE2020 a few months ago, came with earbuds and Lightning cord.

BTW, that phone is $399, but free from Verizon IF you have an unlimited plan.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:40 pm
I don't.
You're the exception here. Most of the rest of us do.
I am one of the apparent minority who will not use any financial apps on my phone.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

RudyS wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 pm
starboi wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:09 pm Apple no longer includes earbuds with any of the phones they sell.
It's not supposed to. The change was supposed to be retroactive to iPhone SEs, so yours might have been old stock unless they quietly changed the policy back. Certainly the latest iPhone 12s do not include any.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/13/iphon ... om-now-on/
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:16 pm
RudyS wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 pm
It's not supposed to. The change was supposed to be retroactive to iPhone SEs, so yours might have been old stock unless they quietly changed the policy back. Certainly the latest iPhone 12s do not include any.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/13/iphon ... om-now-on/
I bought it Nov 11 from Verizon. Things change all the time, so I guess I lucked out on this one.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

I took a look at the iphone SE recently at the apple store. Is anyone surprised at how much less it weighs than the old iphone SE?

Also the new iphone l2... im surprised that isn't that big at all.

But based on the information given... should i

Go to apple and get replacement battery for old iphone SE

Buy new iphone SE

Buy another edition new iphone? If so... what is the newest edition iphone new that i can buy? I dont want to buy the l2 because that is ridiculously overpriced.