Surge Protector Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
waltman300

Surge Protector Recommendation

Post by waltman300 »

Can anyone here recommend a good surge protector? Im out of the US and bought one off a walmart here and it works fine... 600 joules but it has never had an issue so far.

When I go to the US, I need to buy one or two of these as we still use power strips on it and obviously that isn't good for power surges etc... but rarely do we have that.

Speaking of that... is it dangerous if you plug too many electronic devices to those cheap power strips? Asking because back when I was in the US, I always used power strip... didn't even know what power surge was and back over a decade ago, i would connect a desktop and monitor to it without considering anything. Now the last few years i know, you typically when connecting laptop, monitor and tvs... to connect to power surge as oppose to power strip.

I checked amazon and there are tons of it.

Would it be fine getting a cheaper one or get something much more expensive? Thing is even those with like 5 star reviews on amazon... for some reason, when you read the top comments... almost always you see one or two very bad negative comment etc.

I guess amazon or best buy is best choice for it right?
Metsfan91

Re: Surge Protector Recommendation

Post by Metsfan91 »

I'll buy one like this:

CyberPower 2-pack Surge Protector with 8 Outlets & 2 USB Charging Ports
Item 1271620 Model MP1021SS

Costco sells this. 2700 joules.

I'll buy one with high joules rating... As a matter of practice, I don't overload a surge protector. I try to stay within amp limit of the wall outlet.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

What are you protecting? My high-dollar equipment either gets plugged into a UPS (mine are all APC, but there are other good brands also) or a Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector.

For other things, your basic $6.99 whatever brand is just fine, IMO.

No risk to have too many devices on a power strip, unless you overload the current rating. But most should be fine with a typical 20A circuit. What you must never do is daisy-chain surge protectors.
midareff

Post by midareff »

waltman300 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 pm Can anyone here recommend a good surge protector? Im out of the US and bought one off a walmart here and it works fine... 600 joules but it has never had an issue so far.

When I go to the US, I need to buy one or two of these as we still use power strips on it and obviously that isn't good for power surges etc... but rarely do we have that.

Speaking of that... is it dangerous if you plug too many electronic devices to those cheap power strips? Asking because back when I was in the US, I always used power strip... didn't even know what power surge was and back over a decade ago, i would connect a desktop and monitor to it without considering anything. Now the last few years i know, you typically when connecting laptop, monitor and tvs... to connect to power surge as oppose to power strip.

Would it be fine getting a cheaper one or get something much more expensive? Thing is even those with like 5 star reviews on amazon... for some reason, when you read the top comments... almost always you see one or two very bad negative comment etc.

I used Tripplite Surge protectors for years on expensive electronics. We live in South Florida and our summer lightning storms can fry most anything. Tripplite makes them in 2, 4, 6 and 8 outlet varieties with rugged metal cases. I would not have a TV, music or computer setup without them as I have previously paid the price for not doing so.
Room604

Post by Room604 »

I also use a Tripplite surge protector/backup battery for my work computer etc. They make a lot of good products. All available on Amazon.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Room604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:42 am I also use a Tripplite surge protector/backup battery for my work computer etc. They make a lot of good products. All available on Amazon.
and many times of fleabay at fell off the truck prices.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 am What are you protecting? My high-dollar equipment either gets plugged into a UPS (mine are all APC, but there are other good brands also) or a Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector.

For other things, your basic $6.99 whatever brand is just fine, IMO.
You beat me to it.

In order to make a recommendation, we need to know what the OP is trying to protect.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
j9j

Post by j9j »

Don’t get any surge strips that don’t have UL certification.

Also must(including popular Apc/cyberpower models)don’t have the proper cutoff range.

For most office/household equipment the tripplite isobar premium/ultra line is a safe bet.
dt123

Post by dt123 »

I'd also strongly recommend a whole-house surge suppressor. These go on the circuit breaker box, tie into a double pole breaker, and subsequently protect everything in the house. They're a little more expensive, when you count the cost to install, but well worth it in my opinion. I had one in my house in FLA 10 years ago, and it saved me from losing everything that my neighbors lost in a nearby lightning strike--TVs, refrigs with printed circuit boards, computers, printers, and even newer garage door openers. Anything with a printed circuit board is at risk.

When I moved to PA, I put another one on the breaker box here. You can do it yourself if you're handy and careful, and follow the instructions exactly. Otherwise, pay an electrician.

I also have plug-in protectors at the point of use of the expensive electronics, but I don't trust those as much as the suppressor at the breaker box.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

waltman300 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 pm Can anyone here recommend a good surge protector? Im out of the US and bought one off a walmart here and it works fine... 600 joules but it has never had an issue so far.

If you are buying for surge protection, you should be looking at clamping voltage below 400V (aka VPR) not joules. It’s not always listed should you should products without it being listed.
Steve747

Post by Steve747 »

Last edited by Steve747 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Icamp

Post by Icamp »

We have a whole house surge protector installed before the electric meter to protect every single outlet. It's never failed - you probably need an electrician to install it to keep the warranty (there is, I think, $25000 protection on your electronics if it fails)
Steve747

Post by Steve747 »

Icamp wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:21 am We have a whole house surge protector installed before the electric meter to protect every single outlet. It's never failed - you probably need an electrician to install it to keep the warranty (there is, I think, $25000 protection on your electronics if it fails)
I have two of those installed at my panel, Yet for sensitive equipment an individual surge protected is needed for computers, tv's, etc.
As you also have inside the house generated surges not protected against at the meter/panel.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

APC and Tripp lite are generally well-trusted brands. I normally plan to spend around $30 on a mid-grade surge suppressor.

Pricing will tend to correlate to higher joule protection ratings and lower let-through voltage (incrementally lower risk of surge getting through serious enough to damage your equipment), and more outlets or features like swiveling outlets and surge suppression for network or cable lines.

Sometimes more money also gets you marketing fluff about noise filtering or covered equipment insurance. I've never tried to make a covered equipment claim, but every story I have heard about people who have has been about the near impossibility of getting a surge suppressor manufacturer to actually pay out.

If you want to dig into the considerations a little more, The Wire Cutter's article on surge suppressors is one of their better reviews and tests, although I would not get hung up on a single best model, since many models perform in a single range.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... protector/
waltman300 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 pmSpeaking of that... is it dangerous if you plug too many electronic devices to those cheap power strips? Asking because back when I was in the US, I always used power strip... didn't even know what power surge was and back over a decade ago, i would connect a desktop and monitor to it without considering anything. Now the last few years i know, you typically when connecting laptop, monitor and tvs... to connect to power surge as oppose to power strip.
Mains powered electrical devices sold in the US are generally required to be certified by an independent testing laboratory such as UL or Intertek. If they have certified the product, it is verified as fine to use within its labelled specifications.

For a power strip or surge suppressor, that will usually mean you can plug loads that total up to 15 amps (1800 Watts) into it, but of course, the manufacturer label should be referred to if uncertain. It is not recommended to exceed those limits, but the circuit breaker should trip to prevent fire risk if you accidentally overload it.

With most computing and home theater equipment, you would be unlikely to overload it with the number of devices within reach, but some of the most extreme high power desktops or home theater amplifiers can have a peak loads close to the limit from a single device.

For example, the ratings on my gaming PC, monitor, printer, speakers, and router all add up to less than 800W maximum rated draw. I've measured all of them and never observed any of them to get near those ratings. I could safely plug quite a bit more in, although I would not plug in any high power loads to the same strip, like a vacuum cleaner or space heater.
Topic Author
waltman300

Post by waltman300 »

Like to make comments on this. Well im heading back to the US for a short while and where im staying at... we don't have power surge as they use just old power strips. So i want to have that instead.

As for connecting what... i would only connect two laptops... and a monitor. But we also have an old tv... so i want to connect that as well. The thing is ... would that be already too much? I also sometimes connect like an electric razor and an iphone charger to it... and my concern is if i could this many things to it at once... it might cause damage? Like i dont want any damage to my laptops when im using it. Now.. we rarely have power outages so that isn't that big of a concern. My concern was more... if i connect too many things to a power strip.. this is a very old power strip... that probably is over a decade old maybe or longer... would it be risky?

Also what about connecting to the wall outlet? If so, which of those things i mentioned... would you connect to the wall outlet and which with the power strip? I assume almost all of you have power surge and not power strip right?
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I have always successfully used Tripp-Lites. They have never malfunctioned over about 20+ years. they are very well-built and inspire confidence. Just look on Amazon; they have lots of them.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 pm
APC and Tripp lite are generally well-trusted brands. I normally plan to spend around $30 on a mid-grade surge suppressor.
APC does not explicitly state their clamping voltage on many products so one have to wonder why if considering their surge protecting capabilities. Cyberpower is worth considering as VPR is listed. For clamping voltage (VPR), lower is better.

Monoprice offers a line of surge protectors with some clamping voltage in the 330V which is one of the best end you can buy at somewhat reasonable prices.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

My Panamax surge protector died doing it’s job faithfully protecting my audio video devices. Panamax provided a new unit costing much more than the previous one which was no longer available. No equipment was damaged.
HVAC
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

A fireman made a presentation to our woodworking club. He said, "Never by the cheap one."