Considering switching from Tracfone to Tello

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jhsu802701

Considering switching from Tracfone to Tello

Post by jhsu802701 »

I'm currently a Tracfone customer. While I haven't had problems, I'm not making full use of the service, and they charge money for service days. (If you run out of service days, you cannot use your minutes, text messages, or data, no matter HOW much you have.) While the ability to roll over minutes/texts/data is nice, the benefit hasn't been worth that much to me.

As a result, I'm considering switching to Tello, where plans start for just $5/month (100 minutes/month OR 500 MB/month). For just $6/month, I get 100 minutes/month AND 500 MB/month. If I need more minutes or data, I can just upgrade my plan (for just a few dollars more) for a month and then switch back.

Has anyone here made this switch? What do you think?
DFJ: Japan - small cap dividend | DGS: emerging, small cap dividend | MOTI: international moat stocks | IQIN: large cap, developed | DGRE: emerging, dividend growth | GWX and FNDC: small cap, developed
MishkaWorries

Re: Considering switching from Tracfone to Tello

Post by MishkaWorries »

jhsu802701 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm I'm currently a Tracfone customer. While I haven't had problems, I'm not making full use of the service, and they charge money for service days. (If you run out of service days, you cannot use your minutes, text messages, or data, no matter HOW much you have.) While the ability to roll over minutes/texts/data is nice, the benefit hasn't been worth that much to me.

As a result, I'm considering switching to Tello, where plans start for just $5/month (100 minutes/month OR 500 MB/month). For just $6/month, I get 100 minutes/month AND 500 MB/month. If I need more minutes or data, I can just upgrade my plan (for just a few dollars more) for a month and then switch back.

I don't know about Tello but I just got a mailer from Mint Mobile offering unlimited talk and text and 4 gig per month for $15.00.

I'm thinking about jumping on that.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

At Tracfone, you can purchase an additional year of service for $50. I've been using Tracfone for years (Verizon service), no complaints, why switch?
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I used them for several years and was happy.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Tracphone uses the Verizon network and is currently being purchased by Verizon.
Tello uses the T-Mobile network.

You need to figure out which network is the best in your area and go with a NVMO that uses it's network.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
IdRatherBeHiking

Post by IdRatherBeHiking »

Tello works great for me. No issues after about two years and you can easily adjust up or down your MB and minutes. All for $8 a month... I do all the normal smart phone usages as most people just mainly on wifi.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Tello has been great for over 2-years. I have the $6, 1GB plan with unlimited texts. Since there is no voice, no taxes.

Nice thing is, if you go in the night before renewal and manually renew your plan, the data carries over. I have over 8GB available to me now, from the rollovers.

I am still on a Sprint sim and have no issues with Sprint coverage. At some point, they will send me a new sim and I will move over to T-Mobile towers.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i just signed up for Boost Mobile $10 a month (no fees or taxes. Just $10 total) for unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 1 GB of Data a month. Brought my own phone and bought a $10 (plus tax) SIM card from Boost Mobile. Pleased with the service and their customer service walked me through everything to get it to work right.

looks similar to Tello Plans. I think I looked into Tello but don't remember why I didn't go with them. Maybe my phone wasn't compatible or I couldn't tell if they charged tax on top. I have a boost mobile store nearby so thought that'd be helpful if needed, though it wasn't.

just found it. Tello does charge taxes and Boost doesn't. Since they're comparable in what they offer but Boost doesn't add on taxes/fees, I went with Boost.
Our products are subject to local and federal taxes, but there are no hidden fees applied to the prices displayed on the website. Hard to believe… we know!

https://tello.com/help_center
Before Boost and Tello I found T Mobile has a $15 plan but they charge tax too (so it'd come to like $19 maybe they said on the phone), and Boost's $10 (total) for unlimited texts/calls and 1GB serves my needs.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Chip

Post by Chip »

Bitzer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm At Tracfone, you can purchase an additional year of service for $50. I've been using Tracfone for years (Verizon service), no complaints, why switch?
I used to be able to do that but I haven't been able to the last couple of years. I would buy the cheapest "card" on the website then was able to add the one year of service at checkout. That option quit appearing.

How are you getting 1 year for $50?
Buford T Justice

Post by Buford T Justice »

Ebay has tracfone year of service cards for $65 - $70 ... no minutes / texts / data... if you already have plenty of those.
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

Sometimes one year of service (only) would appear as on option on the Tracfone website. other times you would have to add an inexpensive minutes plan, then add the one year of service, then delete the minutes plan to get just the one year of service add-on only. Other times you would have to purchase an inexpensive minutes plan to get the one year of service option add-on.

I just saw a one year of Tracfone service posting on eBay for $60. The seller appears to be reputable, based upon feedback.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

I use Tracfone service. I just bought a new SIM card for my phone that adds one year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 3GB of data for $39.99. I use AT&T's network, but you can also choose Verizon or T-mobile. My phone is not carrier locked. Here is the link to Tracfone's ebay store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Prepa ... 3448464240
goaties

Post by goaties »

notinuse wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am I use Tracfone service. I just bought a new SIM card for my phone that adds one year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 3GB of data for $39.99. I use AT&T's network, but you can also choose Verizon or T-mobile. My phone is not carrier locked. Here is the link to Tracfone's ebay store.

Um, this is probably a stupid question, but...it says the minutes are preloaded onto a sim card. Doesn't that mean you'll then have a different phone number? What if I want to keep using my same number? PLEASE don't tell me all I have to do is call Tracfone "customer service" to make that happen!
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

goaties wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 am
notinuse wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:55 am I use Tracfone service. I just bought a new SIM card for my phone that adds one year of service, 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 3GB of data for $39.99. I use AT&T's network, but you can also choose Verizon or T-mobile. My phone is not carrier locked. Here is the link to Tracfone's ebay store.

Um, this is probably a stupid question, but...it says the minutes are preloaded onto a sim card. Doesn't that mean you'll then have a different phone number? What if I want to keep using my same number? PLEASE don't tell me all I have to do is call Tracfone "customer service" to make that happen!
These deals are sometimes tricky to get them to work because you have to activate a new line, transfer the old number and make sure your existing credit transfers over.

I couldn't get it to work on one of my phones the last time and spent a lot of time with customer service to no avail. Eventually I gave up and transferred the number to Redpocket.

Redpocket is $60 a year, with 100 minutes and 500MB per month. But minutes / data unfortunately do not rollover.
My signature has been deleted.
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

No, you can keep the same phone number. I just did it today, and it was very easy using Tracfone's website. The minutes/texts/data were added to my existing totals.
BarbK

Post by BarbK »

notinuse wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm

No, you can keep the same phone number. I just did it today, and it was very easy using Tracfone's website. The minutes/texts/data were added to my existing totals.
Did you have to open the phone to switch the sim card? and you were able to keep you existing totals? Very good deal.

For the last few years, I've been buying the 1000 texts for $5 text (with a coupon for another 1000 for free), and then getting the option for 1 year of service for $49. Total comes for $58.

-----
notinuse

Post by notinuse »

BarbK wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 pm
notinuse wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Did you have to open the phone to switch the sim card? and you were able to keep you existing totals? Very good deal.
-----
Yes. I turn off my phone, swap SIM cards, and activate the SIM/transfer my phone number routine using Tracfone's website. Then, turn the phone on and check my minutes/text/data balances. The service date typically extends one year immediately. The minutes/text/data balances sometimes take a few minutes to update, but they do add to my existing balance. I keep my existing phone number, that is an option on one of the web pages when activating the SIM.
Last edited by notinuse on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

jhsu802701 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm I'm currently a Tracfone customer. While I haven't had problems, I'm not making full use of the service, and they charge money for service days. (If you run out of service days, you cannot use your minutes, text messages, or data, no matter HOW much you have.) While the ability to roll over minutes/texts/data is nice, the benefit hasn't been worth that much to me.

Been on tello for a couple of years now. A satisfied customer (granted, my needs are not many).
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:18 pm Tello has been great for over 2-years. I have the $6, 1GB plan with unlimited texts. Since there is no voice, no taxes.

Nice thing is, if you go in the night before renewal and manually renew your plan, the data carries over. I have over 8GB available to me now, from the rollovers.

I am still on a Sprint sim and have no issues with Sprint coverage. At some point, they will send me a new sim and I will move over to T-Mobile towers.
Hmm... I was unaware of this trick. That said, knowing me, I would probably eat up the 8GB over a week. :oops:
imbogled

Post by imbogled »

an_asker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 pm
runner3081 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:18 pm Tello has been great for over 2-years. I have the $6, 1GB plan with unlimited texts. Since there is no voice, no taxes.

Hmm... I was unaware of this trick. That said, knowing me, I would probably eat up the 8GB over a week. :oops:
I was a long time Tracfone user and I switched to Tello about a year ago. I was looking for just a little more data compared to Tracfone. Tello met that need and with no price increase.

I stumbled upon this " trick " of renewing manually also. For example, if your 30 days of service will expire on April 21, ideally you would renew manually before 5am (I'm an early bird) on the 21st. That way you would still get all of your 30 days and then unused phone minutes and data will carry over to the next month. If at any point you forget and it automatically renews you lose all of the rollover balance. The rollover trick is just a bonus on top of decent, cheap service.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

imbogled wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:54 pm
an_asker wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:04 pm [...]
I was a long time Tracfone user and I switched to Tello about a year ago. I was looking for just a little more data compared to Tracfone. Tello met that need and with no price increase.

I stumbled upon this " trick " of renewing manually also. For example, if your 30 days of service will expire on April 21, ideally you would renew manually before 5am (I'm an early bird) on the 21st. That way you would still get all of your 30 days and then unused phone minutes and data will carry over to the next month. If at any point you forget and it automatically renews you lose all of the rollover balance. The rollover trick is just a bonus on top of decent, cheap service.
I should try it - at least on DD's account as she usually doesn't use all of her data (and she has a higher data amount plan than I do).

The corollary that I've fallen prey to, though, is that if you downgrade (or upgrade) your plan in the middle of an existing plan month, you basically lose all of the remaining value. Because for me, the value is not the data allowed; it is the fact that even if you use up all that data, you can still use whatsapp and texts for the rest of the month (and have access to - severely throttled - internet as well).
ballons

Post by ballons »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:36 pm

I don't know about Tello but I just got a mailer from Mint Mobile offering unlimited talk and text and 4 gig per month for $15.00.

I'm thinking about jumping on that.
Red pocket has deals as low as $2.50/month and depending on the plan, you can choose the carrier:
http://www.ebaystores.com/redpocketstore/
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

So if I renew my tello before it automatically renews my data and voice minutes will carry over? It's that simple?
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

jhsu802701 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm
I've used Tello but currently using Red Pocket which is cheaper. For $5/month, I get 100/100/500/month. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133058476404
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Chip wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:00 am
Bitzer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm At Tracfone, you can purchase an additional year of service for $50. I've been using Tracfone for years (Verizon service), no complaints, why switch?
I used to be able to do that but I haven't been able to the last couple of years. I would buy the cheapest "card" on the website then was able to add the one year of service at checkout. That option quit appearing.

How are you getting 1 year for $50?
A couple of years ago, Tracfone changed things so that the "add 1 year for $50" option only appears if you bought your phone directly from Tracfone. (One of my daughters and I can still get this deal, but it won't show up for my daughter who bought her phone from Apple.) But so far I've been able to get a good deal on her yearly service by searching for a coupon code for $50 off the $125 smartphone only card. This card gives 365 days of service along with 1500 talk minutes, 1500 texts, and 1.5 GB of data, so it's a decent deal for $75. And it's easier than the ebay/sim card switch thing; I just buy the $125 card on the Tracfone site and input the coupon code.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Carrie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:59 pm A couple of years ago, Tracfone changed things so that the "add 1 year for $50" option only appears if you bought your phone directly from Tracfone. (One of my daughters and I can still get this deal, but it won't show up for my daughter who bought her phone from Apple.) But so far I've been able to get a good deal on her yearly service by searching for a coupon code for $50 off the $125 smartphone only card. This card gives 365 days of service along with 1500 talk minutes, 1500 texts, and 1.5 GB of data, so it's a decent deal for $75. And it's easier than the ebay/sim card switch thing; I just buy the $125 card on the Tracfone site and input the coupon code.
Thanks! I think that solves the mystery, since I didn't buy my phone from Tracfone. I've been doing exactly what you suggest for the last few years -- finding that $50 coupon code and buying the 1 year card on the TF site. As you said, it's a decent deal.