Please help with windows [Microsoft Windows]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boater07

Please help with windows [Microsoft Windows]

Post by boater07 »

My desktop has slowed down noticeably to log into bank, CC, etc. Mainly look at emails.. I suspect it happened
after a recent MS update. Edge was automatically added which I've never used and deleted
right away.
I use the chrome browser. Have also run CC cleaner and malware with no difference.
What can I do? reload windows??
MathWizard

Re: Please help with windows

Post by MathWizard »

Use Cntl+Alt+Del to bring up a window, and choose the Task manager.

The process tab will show you what is running, and what CPU/disk/Network it is
consuming. The Performance tab will show a graph of recent usage. It is possibly
either high CPU usage, or more likely high memory usage combined with disk I/O,
which indicates swapping due to insufficient memory. You may be able to stop
some of the background processes that you did not even know were running, and
get back some performance. I have seen many updater processes running that do
not need to be. I decide when I want to update. If you have lots of programs open,
close them to release resources to get back not overcommitting memory.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Please help with windows [Microsoft Windows]

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (computer help). I also retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

If you have ran CCleaner and removed the cookies, links, history, all the junk files and such, perhaps you have an internet issue. Also see what is running all the time, programs you might seldom use, but are always running.

Have you ran a speed test recently to see what your speed is?

I recently had an issue with our router. My desktop was set up wireless, router about four feet away. I did a speed test one day, and I was getting about one third what I was paying for (100/100). I connected my desktop via Ethernet instead of wireless, got the full 100/100. So I need to replace the router, as it has crapped out on the wireless side a bit.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

Microsoft Edge now uses the same underlying browser - Chromium - as Google’s Chrome browser, so you could stay with Edge for simplicity, unless you want Chrome for some other reason. Ref. the performance slow down, are you using any third-party anti-malware software? If so, that’s a common issue as they can use a lot of resources. I’d recommend only using Microsoft’s built-in anti-malware.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Are other programs affected too? Would be good to isolate the problem to the browser. Otherwise it could be anything from malware to bad power management settings to a hardware failure.
BoomerM3

Post by BoomerM3 »

If you have not done so recently, re-start all you devices (PC, modem, and router). This means a full power off and startup.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

What type of hard drive do you have? Is it a traditional “spinner”? I have brought older computer back to acceptable performance by swapping out the older hard drive for a solid state drive aka SSD. It not only greatly speed disk access but it also helps Windows with memory management as it uses the disk storage to swap out memory for multiple applications running simultaneously. The SSD makes this process much faster as well.
audioengr

Post by audioengr »

With some practice, you'll find the new Microsoft Edge is the fastest browser. Microsoft built it on top of the Chrome platform (Chromium), but it is less resource intensive. Going forward, it will be Microsoft's browser of choice. Internet Explorer is due to be sunset in August of this year (no more security patches).

+1 for getting an SSD if you're still running a spinning hard drive. The performance is significantly better. You should be able to buy a 256 GB drive for around $30 - $35 on Amazon. I would imaging a computer store would sell you a drive and install it (with data migration) for around $150. Beyond that, depending on the age of the machine, I might be looking for a replacement.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

SSD

4GB RAM to 8GB RAM

Disk Cleanup.