Ski Resort Recommendations for the first-timers? (emphasis on resort)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bradford

Re: Ski Resort Recommendations for the first-timers? (emphasis on resort)

Post by Bradford »

Another thought since you are in DC. Snowshoe, WV is a reasonable drive and its a decent little mountain. It might be fun to take a warmup weekend and go ski there for a couple of days earlier in the winter before making the trek to a bigger resort. It might help you guys to be better prepared to have fun when you take the big trip.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Shackleton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm
radiowave wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:32 pm Drive time to Vail from DEN is a little over an hour depending on traffic, Breck about another 20-30 min.
Vail is past Breck by about 30 miles and both are a minimum of 2 hours from the Denver airport with no traffic. Much longer on Fridays. Heck, you won’t even get to The Eisenhower tunnel from the airport in an hour...
Brain TIA, I was thinking of Silverthorne.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Golfalot

Post by Golfalot »

Lots of great recommendations on this list. Our family has skied at most of the resorts mentioned. Our favorite "ski resorts" are Vail, Beavercreek and Park City (either Deer Valley or Park City Mountain).

If you want to minimize travel from the airport, I would highly recommend Park City, UT. Utah has some of the best snow in the US, and it is a really short drive from the Salt Lake City airport (like 30-45 minutes). One year we had to drive through a snow storm and it took us about 90 minutes to get up to Park City, but from Denver airport to Vail is at least a 2 hour drive on a good day (much much longer in a snowstorm).

If you do go to Vail, it is one of the biggest ski areas in the country. Lots of runs and some great skiing to enjoy, but lots of crowds and get ready to spend some $$$ on your food. Some of the best $25 hamburgers in the country.. :happy . Beavercreek is just a short drive down I-70. We love the skiing at Beavercreek. So very easy to mix it up and ski at both mountains. If your there for an extended period of time, definitely look into getting an Epic Pass in advance of getting there. Ends up saving you money compared to buying daily lift tickets.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

I just want to strongly recommend to get a ski lesson. Splurge on a private lesson for the family (I think $800-1200 for the day). As someone who started skiing in my mid 30’s, the lessons were super helpful as I’m not athletically gifted.

Enjoy!

Blue Man

P.S. This is my 3rd year skiing and I ski groomed blacks and blue bumps runs. Old dogs CAN learn new tricks!
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

Firemenot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm Lake Tahoe area is awfully nice. Fly into Reno and 30 minute drive. Legit resorts near Squaw Valley and Heavenly, also Incline Village. Doesn’t get cold.
I enjoyed the skiing at Tahoe but the only issue is that it's lower elevation than Vail/CO so you can get rain instead of snow. The snow is also heavier.
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Bradford wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 am I've been to most of the places being listed, and they are all fine choices.

However, I'd recommend Telluride. While it has a (well-deserved) reputation for its bigger terrain it has some of the best beginner terrain in in the western U.S. The scenery is spectacular, there is a nice resort area in Mountain Village, and the actual town of Telluride is down in the valley. The two are connected by a free gondola, which makes it one of the more unique ski areas in the country (I could be happy spending the whole trip riding the gondola haha). Lots of good dining and shopping in both the village and the town. There are also plenty of non-ski activities such as snowshoes, snowmobiles, fat tire bicycles, ice skating, etc.

As far as travel is concerned, you can fly commercial directly into the airport in town and only have to drive about 10 minutes to wherever you stay. Those flights tend to be more expensive, so many choose to instead fly into Montrose which will leave you with about a 1.5 hour drive. That drive is gorgeous as it goes right over the Dallas Divide, so its not a bad option either.

One big advantage of Telluride is relatively small crowds. The well-known mountains in Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake area, and Summit County, CO all tend to get crowded, especially on holidays and weekends.
This. Stay up in Mountain Village for ease of getting to the slopes (we enjoyed Inn at Lost Creek) -- several places you can step out the door into your skies and onto the lift. When you don't feel like hitting the slopes simply take in the beauty, ride the gondola down to town, etc. We put our new-to-skiing kids in ski school (they had a blast) and my wife took a ski lesson to get her legs back up under her after a 15+ year break to great effect (2 students to 1 instructor in her case, though I'm sure that varies). Great experience all around, and a couples dinner at Alred's around sunset is not to be missed.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

Shackleton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm Heck, you won’t even get to The Eisenhower tunnel from the airport in an hour...
That's because the Denver airport is in west Kansas. :mrgreen:
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

gerntz wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:16 am
Shackleton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:31 pm Heck, you won’t even get to The Eisenhower tunnel from the airport in an hour...
That's because the Denver airport is in west Kansas. :mrgreen:
ROFL

But the good news is we finally have a train from the airport to downtown Denver (when it works)
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

Park City would be very hard to beat considering your desire to be in a resort type setting. If you have the bucks Deer Valley is like skiing at Augusta National Golf Course. I have not been there in many years but remember the food was outstanding for a ski resort. Gives you the options of eating out on the town. I hear that Breck and Vail can get very crowded.

Airport in SLC is an hour away, that is a huge plus.
happygrayhair

Post by happygrayhair »

OP,

Building on recent posts:

I'd echo the suggestion you spend a day or three at a local ski area to see if you will or will not enjoy skiing. With novice skills you'd be better prepared to enjoy a large destination resort. You don't need a Porsche to learn how to drive (unless your ego wants it).

Lessons are mandatory for never evers. Best if you can find a ski school that can allow you the same instructor for a few days. More time spent building skills, and less time needed for instructor to figure out students' skill levels and personalities. A good ski school should have instructors specializing in never evers.
Suggest a family lesson first day, to build shared experiences. Be prepared for your teenager to learn much more quickly. After one or two days together, she probably would have more fun and more rapid progress in a cohort her own age.

Beginners can largely disregard comments about snow quality, as long as you go west to minimize likelihood of ice. The novice areas in the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades should all be well groomed. As a novice you don't want what skilled skiers look for, e.g. 18 inches of 6.5% powder, 3000 vertical feet of high speed cruisers, ungroomed steeps, bumps, etc.

Squaw Valley High Camp facility (the larger of the two beginner areas) does NOT have a hotel as mentioned in a prior post. High Camp is accessed by the Tram, suitable for non skiers for sight seeing winter and summer. There is an ice skating rink, hot tubs/pools, two (or three?) restaurants.

Reno airport is to ski resort drive times vary from about 1/2 hour to Mt Rose, to an hour to Squaw, Alpine, Northstar, Sugar Bowl, 1 1/4 hours to Heavenly, 1 1/2 hours to Sierra at Tahoe, 2 hours to Kirkwood.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

DurangoWino wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:58 am Park City would be very hard to beat considering your desire to be in a resort type setting. If you have the bucks Deer Valley is like skiing at Augusta National Golf Course. I have not been there in many years but remember the food was outstanding for a ski resort. Gives you the options of eating out on the town. I hear that Breck and Vail can get very crowded.

Airport in SLC is an hour away, that is a huge plus.
Half to agree.
motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool »

Jay Peak, VT. Indoor water park for when you don’t feel like skiing.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
motorcyclesarecool

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm Jay Peak, VT. Indoor water park for when you don’t feel like skiing.
Also, the most western-like terrain in the east. To the point where I was underwhelmed when I made it to Colorado. Plenty of Montrealers choose it over Tremblant and a half dozen other mountains on the way.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

I have always wanted to go to Fernie, BC. So you should go there! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... umbia.html
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Silverton. Stay in Ouray and hit the hot springs at night and drive the Million Dollar Highway everyday to the ski area. :D
uroflow

Post by uroflow »

Jackson Hole is such a nice place. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

The resort is not far from the airport. You can take a taxi there quite easily. The ski resort is about 45 minutes from the airport. The town of Jackson is in between, about 20 minutes from the ski resort. There are plenty of nice places to stay on resort, or you can stay in town. There are plenty of shuttles going from town to the mountain every day.

It has the true western cowboy vibe. Million dollar cowboy bar, need I say more?

Plus, if you don't want to ski much, you can do a trip into Teton National Park or do a full day snowmobile ride to yellowstone and see old faithful. There is an elk preserve and you can do a sleigh ride amongst a huge herd of elk.

Jackson Hole has significantly upgraded its beginner offerings with a new lodge and easy on/off chairlifts or gondolas to it.

Jackson Hole all the way.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

uroflow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 pm Jackson Hole is such a nice place. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

The resort is not far from the airport. You can take a taxi there quite easily. The ski resort is about 45 minutes from the airport. The town of Jackson is in between, about 20 minutes from the ski resort. There are plenty of nice places to stay on resort, or you can stay in town. There are plenty of shuttles going from town to the mountain every day.

It has the true western cowboy vibe. Million dollar cowboy bar, need I say more?

Plus, if you don't want to ski much, you can do a trip into Teton National Park or do a full day snowmobile ride to yellowstone and see old faithful. There is an elk preserve and you can do a sleigh ride amongst a huge herd of elk.

Jackson Hole has significantly upgraded its beginner offerings with a new lodge and easy on/off chairlifts or gondolas to it.

Yes! Famous for its beginner terrain! Has anyone mentioned Taos yet?
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm
motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:06 pm Jay Peak, VT. Indoor water park for when you don’t feel like skiing.
Also, the most western-like terrain in the east. To the point where I was underwhelmed when I made it to Colorado. Plenty of Montrealers choose it over Tremblant and a half dozen other mountains on the way.

Jay Peak, while a great mountain that I’m looking forward to next winter hopefully, meets almost none of the OPs requirements besides slope side lodging and the water park. They would have to drive past both Smugglers Notch or Stowe which both meet the criteria more than Jay does.
motorcyclesarecool

Wellfleet wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 pm
motorcyclesarecool wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Jay Peak, while a great mountain that I’m looking forward to next winter hopefully, meets almost none of the OPs requirements besides slope side lodging and the water park. They would have to drive past both Smugglers Notch or Stowe which both meet the criteria more than Jay does.
The OP criteria are:
- A "Resort" experience w/excellent lodging/food/shopping in walking distance. Prefer a hotel over AirBnB.
Shopping is a little sparse and somewhat pricy but we did ok. Hotel Jay is very nice and dining options are excellent.
- Ski lessons available w/beginner level skiing slopes
Excellent ski school and a plethora of bunny slopes, especially Stateside.
- Other winter-sport opportunities (snowshoeing, ice skating, etc).
Ice House for skating. Nordic trail network for Nordic, XC, or snowshoeing.
- Would like to minimize the driving after any air travel (flexible on that, though).
This is Jay’s weakest point, but at least it minimizes the riff-raff from Boston. :wink: Smuggs has timeshare condos and not much else. It’s a great ski area for Burlington locals. Not a tenth the resort that Jay is. Stowe is ok, but the mountain isn’t close to the village. Trapp Family Lodge is a really special resort, my favorite in VT, but it’s not convenient to the mountain, and it’s not as good for kids as Jay. Top Notch underwhelmed me.
happygrayhair

Post by happygrayhair »

pezblanco wrote
"I'm surprised no one has mentioned Silverton. Stay in Ouray and hit the hot springs at night and drive the Million Dollar Highway everyday to the ski area."

I think you might mean Purgatory, but that's 1.5 hours from Ouray. OP preferred less driving.

Silverton is experts only, beacon, probe, shovel mandatory. Zero grooming, no marked runs. No running water at the ski area. No lodge other than a tent. Basically a backcountry experience with one chairlift or heli service. Interestingly, no AIARE level 1 certification required, "the guides will conduct a small safety briefing in order to familiarize those without avalanche experience". Considering it's the Rockies, I'd recommend avalanche airbag pack also. Not what OP was looking for.
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

happygrayhair wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 pm pezblanco wrote
"I'm surprised no one has mentioned Silverton. Stay in Ouray and hit the hot springs at night and drive the Million Dollar Highway everyday to the ski area."

I think you might mean Purgatory, but that's 1.5 hours from Ouray. OP preferred less driving.

Silverton is experts only, beacon, probe, shovel mandatory. Zero grooming, no marked runs. No running water at the ski area. No lodge other than a tent. Basically a backcountry experience with one chairlift or heli service. Interestingly, no AIARE level 1 certification required, "the guides will conduct a small safety briefing in order to familiarize those without avalanche experience". Considering it's the Rockies, I'd recommend avalanche airbag pack also. Not what OP was looking for.
No, I meant what I wrote ... driving the Million Dollar Highway (if you've ever done it ... especially at night!) was part of the joke.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

For what you're looking for, I'd recommend Park City. Otherwise Vail or Breckenridge would be next best.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

Another vote for Park City. Hard to beat for what OP wants.
cabould

Post by cabould »

Bradford wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 am I've been to most of the places being listed, and they are all fine choices.

However, I'd recommend Telluride. While it has a (well-deserved) reputation for its bigger terrain it has some of the best beginner terrain in in the western U.S. The scenery is spectacular, there is a nice resort area in Mountain Village, and the actual town of Telluride is down in the valley. The two are connected by a free gondola, which makes it one of the more unique ski areas in the country (I could be happy spending the whole trip riding the gondola haha). Lots of good dining and shopping in both the village and the town. There are also plenty of non-ski activities such as snowshoes, snowmobiles, fat tire bicycles, ice skating, etc.

As far as travel is concerned, you can fly commercial directly into the airport in town and only have to drive about 10 minutes to wherever you stay. Those flights tend to be more expensive, so many choose to instead fly into Montrose which will leave you with about a 1.5 hour drive. That drive is gorgeous as it goes right over the Dallas Divide, so its not a bad option either.

One big advantage of Telluride is relatively small crowds. The well-known mountains in Lake Tahoe, Salt Lake area, and Summit County, CO all tend to get crowded, especially on holidays and weekends.
Telluride all the way! You'll probably pay a little bit more (due to airfare), but the lack of crowds makes it worth it. Great resort city, and a lot to do for the non skiers.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

uroflow wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:59 pm Jackson Hole is such a nice place. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned before.

I was surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet either.

I'd also throw in Big Sky Ski Resort.

https://bigskyresort.com/

https://www.bigskytowncenter.com/

About an hour drive from Bozeman Airport and an easy drive to West Yellowstone to book some snowmobile tours into the Park.
btenny

Post by btenny »

You really need to try skiing at a resort near your home for a weekend. Find out if your teenager likes skiing and see if you and your wife have fun. Pay for group lessons.

See if you really have fun and enjoy the outdoor downhill skiing experience. Try out the apres ski activities.

If that works go to Park City/Deer Valley or Heavenly. Park City is 7K altitude and Heavenly is 6K. So less risk of altitude sickness. Telluride and Breckenridge are both 8K or more and lots of people who come up from low places have issues. Vail and Aspen are also high. According to this link about 25% of people who come to Vail have issues. Teenagers are very susceptible. Up to 45% have issues.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 49&dpr=2.5

Good Luck.
Last edited by btenny on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
happygrayhair

Post by happygrayhair »

pezblanco wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:16 pm

Silverton is experts only, beacon, probe, shovel mandatory. Zero grooming, no marked runs. No running water at the ski area. No lodge other than a tentm. Basically a backcountry experience with one chairlift or heli service. Interestingly, no AIARE level 1 certification required, "the guides will conduct a small safety briefing in order to familiarize those without avalanche experience". Considering it's the Rockies, I'd recommend avalanche airbag pack also. Not what OP was looking for.
No, I meant what I wrote ... driving the Million Dollar Highway (if you've ever done it ... especially at night!) was part of the joke.
Thought so but just wanted to clarify. No joke if OP and family showed up at Silverton.

Million dollar highway at night would be right up there with road to Hana in a rainstorm, the Amalfi coast road southbound on a holiday weekend, 20+ mile dirt roads in the Sierra with 2wd car (e.g. Mineral King) in spring, and other memorable type 2+ fun drives.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

It was a joke, but Silverton does remain my favorite ski area I've been to. Most of the clientele has at least basic Avy training and gear to begin with. Of course, it's precisely the opposite of the ski experience the OP is looking for :mrgreen:
happygrayhair

Post by happygrayhair »

btenny wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:17 am You really need to try skiing at a resort near your home for a weekend. Find out if your teenager likes skiing and see if you and your wife have fun. Pay for group lessons.

See if you really have fun and enjoy the outdoor downhill skiing experience. Try out the apres ski activities.

If that works go to Park City/Deer Valley or Heavenly. Park City is 7K altitude and Heavenly is 6K. So less risk of altitude sickness. Telluride and Breckenridge are both 8K or more and lots of people who come up from low places have issues. Vail and Aspen are also high. According to this link about 25% of people who come to Vail have issues.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 49&dpr=2.5

Good Luck.
Agree. Best to try it out before you take the big dive. Learning as never-evers is likely a better experience at a "local" ski area than at a "name brand" area. The local small areas are specialists at novice skiers.

Altitude sickness (aka acute mountain sickness) is no fun. Wife and I had to abandon a ski day at Keystone once because of acute mountain sickness. We weren't packing acetazolamide, so we drove back to Denver.

Park City/Deer Valley are more cute and upscale. Airfare from Dulles or Reagan or BWI to SLC less than to Reno or Sacramento (for Lake Tahoe). Less driving to Park City than South Lake Tahoe from airport, and less driving once there.

South Lake Tahoe has lots of 50's and 60's style motels (park just outside your room door!) with a few "nicer" resorts on the California side, and casino hotels on the Nevada side. That might or might not fit peoples' style.
Panky

Post by Panky »

Escapevelocity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:42 am
Panky wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:50 pm +1 for Park City, Vail, and Beaver Creek.

Note that Vail and Beaver Creek are only about an hour away from each other, and both on the Epic Pass (by Vail resorts, owns lots and lots of ski areas).
Vail is only 20 minutes from Beaver Creek not an hour (unless you're riding a bicycle).
Eh, our experience was some kind of accident or something (maybe by the Eisenhower tunnel? I wasn't the driver so didn't pay close attention) so it took about 75 minutes in actuality for us to get from Beaver Creek/Bachelor Gulch to Vail parking lots.
I was told it is often actually much less (half an hour) but I figure I would rather over estimate and get there early :)
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

Dakotah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:35 pm Excellent ideas, everyone...thanks!
You didnt mention how long. For a 7-10 day vacation 10 is on the low end and 15 is probably closer to what u need to pay for the 3 of you if you go to the vail, breckenridge type places everyone here is suggesting. Park city can approach that too.

Snowmass/alta are cheaper but not nearly resort like.

If you want to drive to everything you can easily stay away from the mountain and drive in. That would make it affordable at even lower than your price point.

If you want to keep your budget and stay on the mountain you will probably need to be 15-20 min away. This includes time to park, drive, and walk to the slopes. This gets tiring fast especially after a long day but is more affordable.

For on the slopes experience where you are at the village you are looking at higher prices.

The only places i think offer cheaper experience are the canadian ones. Heck even the european ski experiences are better for the money.

Personally i would recommend you join a local ski club (they usually are much older crowd -50s+) and will be more understanding. You will pay for a large cabin that is shared by all they are spacious and much much more affordable as part of package and are on the slopes.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Panky wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:07 pm
Escapevelocity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:42 am
Panky wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:50 pm +1 for Park City, Vail, and Beaver Creek.

Note that Vail and Beaver Creek are only about an hour away from each other, and both on the Epic Pass (by Vail resorts, owns lots and lots of ski areas).
Vail is only 20 minutes from Beaver Creek not an hour (unless you're riding a bicycle).
Eh, our experience was some kind of accident or something (maybe by the Eisenhower tunnel? I wasn't the driver so didn't pay close attention) so it took about 75 minutes in actuality for us to get from Beaver Creek/Bachelor Gulch to Vail parking lots.
I was told it is often actually much less (half an hour) but I figure I would rather over estimate and get there early :)
Hmmm....maybe driver took a wrong turn or something. It's 13 miles driving distance via I-70. No tunnels on the way.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Escapevelocity wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:40 am
Firemenot wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:44 pm Lake Tahoe area is awfully nice. Fly into Reno and 30 minute drive. Legit resorts near Squaw Valley and Heavenly, also Incline Village. Doesn’t get cold.
Heavenly is beautiful. You're way off on the 30 min commute though. More like an hour and 15 minutes from Reno airport.

Tahoe is amazing. Problem is the long term drought trends make it risky. My last 2 trips there were awful as far as conditions. It was end of Jan and only 10% of Heavenly was open. Then had a day of "skiing" at Northstar which consisted of being rained upon until soaked.

Also the wet/ heavy snow of the Sierras I would find tougher for beginners.

Steamboat and areas in Montana have been my favorite ski destinations. But agree with others that Vail/ Beaver Creek is probably the spot that checks the boxes for OP. Avoid skiing Vail weekends due to crowds. I've typically skied there Mon-Wed and it hasn't been too bad. Go to Beaver Creek if later in the week.

Breckenridge is also a good choice. Great gentle beginner runs that are right at the base. Elevation is higher than other areas.... only place where I've stayed and actually noticed it slightly bothering me.... particularity when sleeping. Breck is a full blown town with a lot of history. But it sits at nearly 10k feet.

Bottom line Vail/Beaver Creek is a great choice. I could hang out there and not even ski and have a great time. Not a budget choice by any means, however.