Carpenter Ants

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Stipe

Carpenter Ants

Post by Stipe »

Question, has anyone ever dealt with these crazy beasts? I found some in my chimney, from the bottom of it. I sprayed and got rid of them, seems there was some water coming in from the cap. But now I often wonder are they in my walls. The only way they could get in would be through the roof? (some tree limbs over the roof). but maybe its my mind playing tricks on me. There is no evidence of them from the ground level at all. before I go exploring on my steep roof, just wondering?
Thanks!
Steve747

Re: Carpenter Ants

Post by Steve747 »

Last edited by Steve747 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randles

Post by randles »

I have used Phantom in the past with good results.

https://www.domyown.com/phantom-termiti ... p-209.html

Good luck!
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

As a diy treatment, boric acid (in powder form) is very effective at controlling them.
ballons

Post by ballons »

Go out each day at dusk to see if they emerge. If you just sprayed it may take a few days for them to emerge (if they are inside your home).

I used Maxforce gel and Advance bait. Took 3 days of alternating bait to wipe them out.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Stipe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:59 pm Question, has anyone ever dealt with these crazy beasts? I found some in my chimney, from the bottom of it. I sprayed and got rid of them, seems there was some water coming in from the cap. But now I often wonder are they in my walls. The only way they could get in would be through the roof? (some tree limbs over the roof). but maybe its my mind playing tricks on me. There is no evidence of them from the ground level at all. before I go exploring on my steep roof, just wondering?
Thanks!
spraying will only kill the ones you see, it won't affect the nest. Also indicates you probably (?) have rotting wood somewhere.

They feed at dusk, get a flashlight and probe around at that time to further investigate where they are coming from.

Mix cheap honey w/ boric acid (easily found at any hardware store) put on wax paper, let them feed on it at dusk. It will take a bit, but they'll carry this back to the nest to kill the queen. It will not happen 'overnight'. Give it time.
MrGoodkat

Post by MrGoodkat »

Stipe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:59 pm Question, has anyone ever dealt with these crazy beasts? I found some in my chimney, from the bottom of it. I sprayed and got rid of them, seems there was some water coming in from the cap. But now I often wonder are they in my walls. The only way they could get in would be through the roof? (some tree limbs over the roof). but maybe its my mind playing tricks on me. There is no evidence of them from the ground level at all. before I go exploring on my steep roof, just wondering?
Thanks!
Advion ant gel you won’t be disappointed. Once applied ants will swarm to it for a day or two, don’t worry this is normal they are drawn to the scent. They will then bring it back to their nest and game over after maybe 2-4 days total. I have personally used this and know many people who have with excellent results on various types of ants, including carpenter.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I have eliminated a large colony using Terro outdoor ant baits. They must be placed properly and you need patience. The nest I took out - the main nest - was in a rotted tree stump in a neighbors yard. I had at least one "satellite" nest in my house. I did not want to broadcast poisons, so I took the targeted approach - which takes more of my time but was well worth it to me. If you get the ants to "take the bait" - the bait does the work for you, since they bring the bait back to the main nest, leaving a pheromone trails that leads others in the nest to the bait. Not all of the ants will leave the nest. Many remain to protect the queen. But you get the queen eventually - which is what you need to do to take-out the colony.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein