A/C in the garage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
new2bogle

A/C in the garage

Post by new2bogle »

My wife does her home based business out of the garage (started fall of last year). This will be the first TX summer with her in the garage so we are looking at options to cool it down. Unfortunately, there are no outside windows or door in the garage other than the two car wide overhead garage door (one car spot is double depth so it's a "three" car garage). So I have no natural place to vent out an a/c unit.

One option which I don't really want to do is to drill a whole through the side of the garage to the outside world, which will have to go through 4-6" limestone bricks, but I guess we would remove the exterior bricks first. Another option is to cut a whole in the ceiling of the garage and vent it directly there. There's nothing in the garage attic area but it does share two insulated walls with rooms on the second floor.

Is it not advisable to vent the a/c unit directly into the attic? I don't know how much moisture is vented out but that could definitely be a problem (note that the garage attic does have soffits to the outside world, so it is not "air tight").

Any advice or other suggestions?
mgensler

Re: A/C in the garage

Post by mgensler »

Install a mini-split system. You only have to drill a 3" hoplle through the outside wall.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

No you cannot vent an air conditioner into the attic.

Cutting into bricks- either for tubing or an AC-sized hole- requires the right equipment but is not a big deal.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

What is meant by the term vent in this case?

+1 on mini-split and be done.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Is the garage and garage door insulated?

If not then the electric bills might be very high so it would be good to also plan on insulating it. It might be less expensive for her to rent some place to run the business out of.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Not knowing much about the layout of your garage, except that one side is double-depth, you might consider finishing (and enclosing) the double-depth part and making a conditioned space from which to run the business. A mini split is probably the easiest way to condition the space. Insulated garage doors are probably a good idea. We have them on our home in N Alabama.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

In this context, vent means the exhaust of the a/c unit.

The garage door is not insulated so it would be a major source of leaked air. I did look into a mini-split but cost is somewhere around $1500-$2000. Part of the spend decision depends on business outlook - so far it's been pretty good but she's barely at the 6 month mark.

I'm intrigued by walkabout's suggestion, to close the area off. I'm wondering if it could just be a temporary enclosure, let's say heavy plastic tightly taped around the part of the garage that already has three walls. Then the ac unit can be inside and vent out to the rest of the garage itself. The part about the business outlook is also why I'm kind of looking for a hack-it-together type of solution, for the time being.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

new2bogle wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:58 pm I'm intrigued by walkabout's suggestion, to close the area off. I'm wondering if it could just be a temporary enclosure, let's say heavy plastic tightly taped around the part of the garage that already has three walls. Then the ac unit can be inside and vent out to the rest of the garage itself. The part about the business outlook is also why I'm kind of looking for a hack-it-together type of solution, for the time being.
I have tackled all levels of complexity on projects. This is one I would definitely use a hack-it-together approach as a temporary solution. I would want to see if the business pans out before I needlessly sunk money into the ac or a more suitable space. I would probably try some decent pedestal fans first, ac exhaust could cause your remaining garage space to get quite uncomfortable.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Personally, I’d try a swamp cooler first and if that didn’t work, either rent a commercial space or shut down for the summer. Garages are not meant to stay conditioned.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> I’d try a swamp cooler first

OP lives in Texas. If it's a humid part of Texas swamp coolers will not work.

AND a swamp cooler needs access to outside air.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Get the mini split. It’s the right solution for the problem stated
Breakaway72

Post by Breakaway72 »

We live on the Florida Gulf coast. Our home has two attached garages, a single car garage and a double car garage. We installed mini splits in both of them. They are great! Quiet and comfortable. Frankly we could not discern any difference in our electric bill but obviously there is. Mini splits are quite energy efficient. One is a Mitsubishi and one a Daikon. Many Daikons are made in USA but some are made in China. Ask before you commit. We have had no issues with either brand.

A few suggestions:
1) insist that the installers use a core drill to penetrate the wall (not an impact hammer). it results in a cleaner, more professional looking finish.
2) insulate the attic (a few hundred dollars worth of 6" batts will do the trick).
3) insulate the garage door. We used Styrofoam panels but there are also fiberglass batt kits. The Styrofoam panels have a very low R-value yet make a huge difference in comfort when installed on a metal door. Really reduces radiant heating.
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Can't believe the response about a fan. It's your spouse, make sure they're comfortable. Don't cut their venture off at the knees by treating air conditioning in a garage in texas in summer as having to have a business plan to justify.

Mini splits can be self installed (get a pre-charged one like Mr Cool) for as low as $700. Insulate the garage door and walls and ceiling as best you can. Invest in your spouse's dream.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

If you are handy, there are mini-splits you can buy and install for under $1000.

Assuming you have central A/C, is there anyway to get duct work to the garage? Maybe through the attic above the garage?
windaar

Post by windaar »

Look into a portable like a Pinguino. About $600 and you just need holes for the vent ducts which you could cut in the garage door. Go to Amazon and you can see in the reviews how people have used them in garages.
Nobody knows nothing.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:06 am Assuming you have central A/C, is there anyway to get duct work to the garage? Maybe through the attic above the garage?
No. The garage is a separate air space from the house. Something about carbon monoxide being a bad thing inside houses.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

linuxizer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:19 am Can't believe the response about a fan. It's your spouse, make sure they're comfortable. Don't cut their venture off at the knees by treating air conditioning in a garage in texas in summer as having to have a business plan to justify.
Fair enough. Spouse and I grew up dirt poor in one of the most depressed areas of our state. We didn't experience ac in our home or workplace until about mid-life. I guess if someone has the money then sure, go for it.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Appreciate the discussion. I think long term the mini-split is the way to go. I spoke with my wife last night and she is agreeable to closing off the "3rd" garage area (that already has three insulated walls) as a temporary measure. If it is comfortable, she can stay like that for this summer as she gets a better handle on the business (apparently jan-may is slow for this business) and we can upgrade (or move out of the garage!) next year.
Finnegan

Post by Finnegan »

I live in Florida, and my water heater is in the garage. I upgraded to a heat pump water heater, and the garage is now cool and dry. No thermostat, so not ideal for working space, but a lot better than nothing!
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

diy60 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 am
linuxizer wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:19 am Can't believe the response about a fan. It's your spouse, make sure they're comfortable. Don't cut their venture off at the knees by treating air conditioning in a garage in texas in summer as having to have a business plan to justify.
Fair enough. Spouse and I grew up dirt poor in one of the most depressed areas of our state. We didn't experience ac in our home or workplace until about mid-life. I guess if someone has the money then sure, go for it.
In many areas, the way that many homes, businesses, garages, etc. are designed these days means that AC is truly a necessity. Back when I lived in the Southeast, there were reports every year of people, usually the elderly, without AC dying in their homes from heat stroke.
The Sensible Steward
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

Mini split AC is the way to go. See if your local Costco is pushing the Lennox line. I have three of them and have not regretted it for a seconf....but none are in the garage.

If you go with a temporary divider, you can frame one up out of 2x4's and insulate it for not much cost and remove it later if desired. You likely need a permit for either the minisplit or wall...so plan for that.
Spring garden

Post by Spring garden »

In addition to the mini split, I'd suggest putting one of those plug in CO detectors in the closed off area as well.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Spring garden wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 pm In addition to the mini split, I'd suggest putting one of those plug in CO detectors in the closed off area as well.
Preferably, a combination smoke/CO detector should be used.
The Sensible Steward
Spring garden

Post by Spring garden »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Spring garden wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:15 pm In addition to the mini split, I'd suggest putting one of those plug in CO detectors in the closed off area as well.
Great idea.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Spring garden wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:42 pm
Great idea.
+1 , this is a great idea, thanks.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

new2bogle wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:06 pm Appreciate the discussion. I think long term the mini-split is the way to go. I spoke with my wife last night and she is agreeable to closing off the "3rd" garage area (that already has three insulated walls) as a temporary measure. If it is comfortable, she can stay like that for this summer as she gets a better handle on the business (apparently jan-may is slow for this business) and we can upgrade (or move out of the garage!) next year.
Good choice. If business doesn’t work out, a nice work space in the garage would always be beneficial.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Jeepergeo wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:05 pm Mini split AC is the way to go. See if your local Costco is pushing the Lennox line. I have three of them and have not regretted it for a seconf....but none are in the garage.

If you go with a temporary divider, you can frame one up out of 2x4's and insulate it for not much cost and remove it later if desired. You likely need a permit for either the minisplit or wall...so plan for that.
I got a much better price from a local contractor for Daikon units than the Costco contractor wanted for the Lennox. I have been very pleased with my two Emura units.
bacon4retirement

Post by bacon4retirement »

Definitely insulate the garage door as a first step, no matter which type of AC you pick.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

If every wall and the ceiling are not insulated, the cost of the mini split will approximate your electric bill in August.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett