Protective Coating on New Subaru?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RazzleNugent601

Protective Coating on New Subaru?

Post by RazzleNugent601 »

Hello everyone,

We just ordered a 2021 Subaru Impreza with all the possible safety features with the top end model of the car. The dealer is offering the option of an additional “ECP Diamond Plus Ceramic” coating on the exterior paint, and interior protection against rips in the leather, food stains, fluids, burns, cracking of the dash, etc. We were told that for past few years, with the use of no VOC paints, the exterior is more susceptible to salt, sea air, etc. We live in the Midwest where lots of salt is used in the winter. This is our first new car in 8 years.The cost is $1100. Does anyone have experience with this product? Thank you.
DoubleComma

Re: Protective Coating on New Subaru?

Post by DoubleComma »

Personally think its just a margin adder for the dealer and decline.

Regularly washing and something between quarterly and twice annually waxing should be sufficient.

If you really want a ceramic coating, all the mobile detailers do it in my area for a couple hundred bucks.

As for the interior, I have 3 kids and 2 dogs that all ride in our cars. We haven't had any issues with stains, or tears, or dash cracking...has this been an issue for you historically?
Last edited by DoubleComma on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloseEnough

Post by CloseEnough »

Cars don’t seem to rust out like they used to, although I’ve not heard of the thing with new paint. This protection would not be important to me since I’ve not had problems of the type it protects against. Being somewhat suspicious of car dealers, I would view this as a way the dealership increases profits. That said, I don’t have any knowledge of this product, perhaps others with direct knowledge can comment.
Last edited by CloseEnough on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Complete waste of money. Don't do it.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

This sums up what I think of TruCoat, er, I mean Clear Coat (Clip from the movie Fargo):
Fargo TruCoat. :o
Paullmas

Post by Paullmas »

Several cars, varying lengths.

Rust...if you get a deep scratch fix it pronto. Regular wear... no don't need ceramic.
Interior, don't eat or drink, car is to get from point A to point B.
If you, or the misses, fall off the wagon and resort to eating and drinking in the car, and a little mishap occurs, as it will, detail, pronto.

P.S. all those dealer "suggested maintenance" can go out the window as well.
No need to pay $70 for cabin filter when they cost $10.
Just say no to international.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

RazzleNugent601 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm Hello everyone,

We just ordered a 2021 Subaru Impreza with all the possible safety features with the top end model of the car. The dealer is offering the option of an additional “ECP Diamond Plus Ceramic” coating on the exterior paint, and interior protection against rips in the leather, food stains, fluids, burns, cracking of the dash, etc. We were told that for past few years, with the use of no VOC paints, the exterior is more susceptible to salt, sea air, etc. We live in the Midwest where lots of salt is used in the winter. This is our first new car in 8 years.The cost is $1100. Does anyone have experience with this product? Thank you.
I wouldn’t. New cars basically don’t rust. The substrate and paint and paint application methods are so much better now. Subaru will do all these things very well as a high quality Japanese manufacturer.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

The service being offered won't help with rust. Rust begins from moisture and salt getting trapped behind pieces and in catch areas. If you see rust, it's going to be from behind fenders, especially rear wheel wells, shock towers and other places where salt and snow get trapped. If you want to protect the car from this, have a competent shop fluid film those things. Not undercoating...fluid film or another product that doesn't lock in moisture, making rust worse.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Ceramic paint coatings are intended to make washing the car easier, by limiting the ability of soil to adhere to the paint surface. Ceramic paint coatings provide no protection against impact damage from rock chips and the like. Professionally applied coatings are generally said to typically last around 5 years. If you don't mine doing some work yourself, many modern spray formulas have much the same effect, but need to be applied every 6 months or so, at a much lower cost. Here are two examples:

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybr ... g-16-fl-oz.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/ice- ... ax-16fl-oz

You can also apply paint protection film (PPF) to some or all vehicle surfaces. That provides a barrier which protects against many rock chips and other flying debris. Ceramic coatings can be applied over such films, but some films are inherently hydrophobic and need no such additional protection. Paint chips which expose bare metal will rust if not addressed either preventively with PPF or with touch-up paint after the fact.

PPF and professionally applied ceramic coatings are expensive, and typically are applied only to higher-priced cars where the cost represents a smaller percentage of the vehicle purchase price. For a Subaru, hand washing regularly and using one of the Turtle Wax ceramic spray products likely represents the best balance between cost, effort, and protection.

Rinse road salt off the vehicle, including wheel wells and undercarriage, as often as you reasonably can, though.
MoonGlow

Post by MoonGlow »

I would say it's a waste of money. Those Subies hold their value tremendously across all the USA. I would personally opt for not getting it.
Pacinotti

Post by Pacinotti »

... and watch, once you decline the coating the sales guy will offer it to you for $600 because he’s willing to forego his commission and any dealership profit...
bstewie

Post by bstewie »

im a fan of ceramic coatings, but i would definitely not pay the dealer for the application. find a professional detailer who specializes in ceramic. it will cost the same or a little more than the dealer quoted you but the quality of work will be significantly better. you can certainly get ceramic applied for much much cheaper, but imo you get what you pay for. a proper paint correction (even if it’s a new car) and a quality ceramic product designed to be cured with infrared is the way to go if you really want it.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

All that stuff is total BS. I spent a lot of money doing an Opticoat on my truck. Didn't last more than 2 years. I'm doing a generic DIY ceramic coating on my Subaru that I got for $120. It should last just as long and even if it doesn't, it will cost me nowhere as much. Don't let the dealer do anything to your car. It's a total ripoff. You're better buy $1000 of Dogecoin.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

Lexx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:01 am All that stuff is total BS. I spent a lot of money doing an Opticoat on my truck. Didn't last more than 2 years. I'm doing a generic DIY ceramic coating on my Subaru that I got for $120. It should last just as long and even if it doesn't, it will cost me nowhere as much. Don't let the dealer do anything to your car. It's a total ripoff. You're better off buying $1000 of Dogecoin.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
illumination

Post by illumination »

It's a complete rip off. I had a car that this came "free" with every purchase from the dealership and they would annually put the protective coating to be covered. It was just a basic wax job.

A funny story though, I have an in-law that falls for nearly every type of insurance or warranty product you could possibly get. He bought this ridiculous paint protection package for his new Audi. An owl dropped a large "load" on it and it ate through the paint. He went to the dealership and after a whole lot of back and forth and arguing, they relented and covered it under the paint protection plan he bought. Of course, I would argue getting something like that fixed on your own dime would have probably been close to what the warranty cost and way less hassle.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

RazzleNugent601 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm Hello everyone,

Your dealer is simply lying to you to up-sell their BS services. Automotive manufacturers already warranty cars for rust up to 100k miles - check Subaru forums on this.

I have ceramic coating on my "nice" cars which makes them easier to clean and I don't need to wax the car to make it look sweet - this helps me wash the car myself and not have to pay for an expensive professional hand wash. Ceramic coating also provides additional protection against smaller scratches - ie: bags, phone, nails, jewelry ..etc. That's about it.

I would not ceramic coat a Subaru and pay over 5% of the value of the car for paint protection unless I have sentimental value attached to the car.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

TallBoy29er wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:43 pm This sums up what I think of TruCoat, er, I mean Clear Coat (Clip from the movie Fargo):
Fargo TruCoat. :o
I was thinking of this exact movie scene. Lol.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

My general rule is, if the dealer is trying to sell you something other than the car, you probably don't need it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Just noticed this post. I also bought a new 2021 Impreza . I get it hand washed twice a month. Bought seat covers at Advanced Auto Parts + put them on myself. I would not spend the :moneybag at the stealership. Cars will never stay pristine if used everyday. Love the Impreza even though paint used is"nt the greatest.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Just noticed this post. I also bought a new 2021 Impreza . I get it hand washed twice a month. Bought seat covers at Advanced Auto Parts + put them on myself. I would not spend the :moneybag at the stealership. Cars will never stay pristine if used everyday. Love the Impreza even though paint used is"nt the greatest.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Total ripoff
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

If you live in a area with gravel, rocks or sand on the roads and are prone to chips on the front end, a paint protective film (PPF) will mitigate some of that. Commonly called a clear bra, 3M makes a great product called XPEL. Well worth it. I had the entire front end and hood of my XC60 done when it was new.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

GmanJeff wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:19 pm Ceramic paint coatings are intended to make washing the car easier, by limiting the ability of soil to adhere to the paint surface. Ceramic paint coatings provide no protection against impact damage from rock chips and the like. Professionally applied coatings are generally said to typically last around 5 years. If you don't mine doing some work yourself, many modern spray formulas have much the same effect, but need to be applied every 6 months or so, at a much lower cost. Here are two examples:

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybr ... g-16-fl-oz.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/ice- ... ax-16fl-oz

You can also apply paint protection film (PPF) to some or all vehicle surfaces. That provides a barrier which protects against many rock chips and other flying debris. Ceramic coatings can be applied over such films, but some films are inherently hydrophobic and need no such additional protection. Paint chips which expose bare metal will rust if not addressed either preventively with PPF or with touch-up paint after the fact.

PPF and professionally applied ceramic coatings are expensive, and typically are applied only to higher-priced cars where the cost represents a smaller percentage of the vehicle purchase price. For a Subaru, hand washing regularly and using one of the Turtle Wax ceramic spray products likely represents the best balance between cost, effort, and protection.

Rinse road salt off the vehicle, including wheel wells and undercarriage, as often as you reasonably can, though.
+1
Well said.
Great points.

From the dealership. No.

From a professional "reputable" high end auto detailing shop with a physical location and the facilities (indoor fully enclosed), and skills, to do an excellent PPF or Ceramic Coating job. Then, "depending on your needs". . . Yes.

We have just had 2 brand new 2021 cars professionally ceramic coated. (And another fully detailed and coated). The results are impressive and, as stated above, washing and care and "better than new car" appearance is a plus.

We had the cars clay bar buffed and detailed before the ceramic coating. The dealership will or will not prep the car correctly before coating. Likely not?

However, know that once the car has been ceramic coated, one has to pay attention to the type of products used to wash and care for the car, as well as no longer being able to take the car to a regular car wash (only "touch-less") or the coating will be reduced or removed.
We wash the cars with pH neutral car soap in the shade. Then retouch with ceramic maintanance spray once in awhile to detail the car out per the detailing shop instructions.

I hope this is helpful.
PM me as you wish.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa »

Good video from Project Farm on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

I use Turtle Wax ceramic spray (53409). Takes about 15 minutes to apply a full coat to my Ford F150. I use a new microfiber cloth for application and another new microfiber to wipe off product a few minutes later. One application keeps water beading up for 4 months. Two applications within a few days/weeks result in water beading up for about a year. This is for a vehicle that is not kept in a garage.

In between washings a California Duster does a nice job as dust and water spots come off easily since I have been using the ceramic.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

If your car is kept in a garage, not needed at all. My wife waxes hers twice a year, I never do. Both have excellent paint and have with our cars for many years. My past 4-Runner, for example, a 2005 has excellent paint today and is in a son's driveway. Just our experience. The amount they want is a significant cost toward repainting if ever called for, too.

Tim
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I've seen some very favorable reviews of ceramic coating. I think the value will become apparent over time, as your clear coat holds up better against normal wear. However, I am pretty sure the dealer is over charging you for applying this. I don't know about the interior treatment.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

A coworker has a ceramic coating on his car. It looks great (a bit glossier than the paint, although I could see some people feeling it is too glossy), and he has confirmed that most dirt really does just wash off in the rain.

He got me interested in it, but ultimately, the cost is more than I'm willing to spend, especially since it will wear over time. Although it would presumably have reduced the countless tiny scrathces I saw in my previous car at the time I replaced it, it would not have stopped the chips and larger scratches. Also, I frankly though the paint on my car looked pretty good for being 19 years old and never having any special care.

Overall, I would say ceramic coating seems like a compelling product for the type of person who likes to keep their car pristine, as it can reduce the time and money spent washing and waxing, but most of us should just skip it. And as noted, you can almost certainly get an equivalent quality coating for significantly lower cost than the dealer offers.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Back when there were cars on the lot they would claim stuff like this was already on the car so you had to take it. Since you're ordering they can't pull that one.

If you think it just might be worthwhile- maybe try offering $300? That's probably not far from what it costs them in time and materials.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

I live a block away from the Long Island Sound, a salty environment I'd say. I also own a 5 year old Subaru. Don't bother with the extra profit maker from the dealer. If you're worried about rust, wash the car once or twice a month. I think the no VOC paint has been around long enough for improvements against paint fade.
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

If I was buying a new Subaru, I would 100% get it professionally rust proofed. ( Rust Belt western PA) Probably not at the dealer, though. I would look for someone who sprays rust inhibitor into the body panels. There's a guy around here in PA called Rick Fennel who does that.

That's what I would do. I like to keep my car forever, and rust is what kills them here. If you would be keeping a new car for 10 years of maybe don't bother.

As far as Subaru, I think they have a rust problem. 10-15 year old Subarus are commonly rusty around here - much more than other brands.
bgvg

Post by bgvg »

The interior application is probably just a Teflon spray.

Wouldn't rust-proofing void the warranty?
runwyrlph wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:01 pm If I was buying a new Subaru, I would 100% get it professionally rust proofed. ( Rust Belt western PA) Probably not at the dealer, though. I would look for someone who sprays rust inhibitor into the body panels. There's a guy around here in PA called Rick Fennel who does that.

That's what I would do. I like to keep my car forever, and rust is what kills them here. If you would be keeping a new car for 10 years of maybe don't bother.

As far as Subaru, I think they have a rust problem. 10-15 year old Subarus are commonly rusty around here - much more than other brands.
I think the dealer is trying to sell a product to protect the paint. This isn't rust-proofing. Owners that are into ceramic coatings typically want their car to look perfect and do a lot of detail work on their cars. Polishing and claybar is usually recommended before a ceramic application to get rid of any orange peel texture and environmental fallout from the paint.

If you're really interested in protecting the paint, maybe it's worth considering paint-protection film (PPF) which will protect it from gravel and rocks. PPF is very expensive in some areas.

Most detailers would probably do a ceramic coating so it's worth asking them for a quote. I wouldn't have the dealer just apply a ceramic coating without doing an exterior detail that includes "paint correction."