Another Tire Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Another Tire Question

Post by sport »

I have decided to take advantage of Costco's current promotion on Michelin and BF Goodrich tires. I want to put a set of all-season tires on my 2013 Camry. I want the tires to be good in snow and on wet pavement. The car gets less than 10k miles per year. The car still has the original equipment tires and only about 35k miles. I want to replace them because of age, not wear. For those brands, Costco shows seven different tires for my car and I don't know which to choose. All the tires listed are "V" speed rated.

Michelin:
Primacy MXV4 60k miles $195 (two different load ratings: 93 or 94)
Primacy All Season 55k miles $197
Energy Saver A/S 55k miles $195
Primacy Tour A/S 55k miles $179
Cross Climate 2 60k miles $177
BF Goodrich:
Advantage T/A Sport 60k miles $123

Costco's promotion will reduce those prices for a set of 4 by $150 for the Michelin Tires and by $110 for the BFG.
Are there Boglehead tire experts who can help me choose?
dbr

Re: Another Tire Question

Post by dbr »

A consideration is to be aware of the difference between all season tires and all weather tires (which have a winter snow rating). The difference would matter if you are concerned about snow but don't intend to put actual winter snow tires on for the winter season. I don't know which of your list is all weather vs all season.

All weather tires: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/whats ... ason-tires
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

dbr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:15 am I don't know which of your list is all weather vs all season.
They are all designated as all season.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm too lazy to look up if any of the tires are A/W or figure out if they're all the same speed rating, but I've personally owned Primacy and Energy. I don't like the super-shallow tread depth on the Primacy - it was pretty shocking when I bought them. In theory they're supposed to be excellent but they look worn out before you even drive them home. I liked my Energy tires and would have replaced them but all that was available back then were Premiers, which were more or less the predecessors to the Primacy (but with a traditional tread depth.)
Red Zebra

Post by Red Zebra »

We recently purchased the Cross Climate 2, which is on your list, for my wife's Honda Accord and she is very pleased with them. They were highly reviewed on both Consumer Reports and by customers on Tire Rack's website. The tread patter is a little unusual, but the tires perform extremely well.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

suggest that you compare specs on Tire Rack.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 pm suggest that you compare specs on Tire Rack.
^ This ^

Plus you can read feedback from individuals with the same vehicle to see their ratings and preferences.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:27 pm suggest that you compare specs on Tire Rack.
This. Tire Rack will perform their own reviews and comparisons across different tires in a certain subsection, eg all season. I did a quick search on 2013 Camry's (I didn't know which trim/engine, so had to guess at tire size, and used 205/65 16's). Viewed Touring Tires / Passenger All Season Tires. Here is the list that popped up on Tire Rack:
Tire Rack 2013 Camry 205/65 16's

The tire at the top of the list is the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. There is a "Tire Rack Tested" link. I would check those out and read the Tire Rack Reviews.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

I bought a set of Primacy MXV4s last week, but went the NTB route. A set was $600 for the 93 load rating, so less than Costco. This was on a 2015 Camry, replacing the original tires (32k miles on my Camry). Wanted a quiet tire. In the Houston, we don't have 4 seasons.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Tire Rack web site. It is somewhat hard to decide because they are all very good tires. I think the tie-breaker is the Cross Climate 2 is indicated as very good in the snow. Considering the snow situation where I live (on the edge of the snow belt) it seems that is the one I should choose.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

tigermilk wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 pm I bought a set of Primacy MXV4s last week, but went the NTB route. A set was $600 for the 93 load rating, so less than Costco. This was on a 2015 Camry, replacing the original tires (32k miles on my Camry). Wanted a quiet tire. In the Houston, we don't have 4 seasons.
have MXV4 on our 2020 HR-V EX, terrible in the snow, otherwise, they are fine

We'll swap them out next winter for Cross Climate or Goodyear Assurance Weatherready

on my 2016 Camry, have General Altimax which are fine for how I drive / conditions.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

I suggest comparing based on the following:

1. Traction Rating
2. Temperature Rating
3. Mileage rating

...in that order.

IMHO, a high mileage rating is worthless if it comes at the cost of traction. Temp is important if you drive where it gets hot.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

If you are in a snowy area, I would put great weight on significantly better snow ratings on tirerack. OP, I would agree with your reasoning on your last post.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

sport wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:54 pm Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Tire Rack web site. It is somewhat hard to decide because they are all very good tires. I think the tie-breaker is the Cross Climate 2 is indicated as very good in the snow. Considering the snow situation where I live (on the edge of the snow belt) it seems that is the one I should choose.
This is the conclusion that I have come to as well and am transitioning to CrossClimate 2 on all of our vehicles as they need new tires and ditching the snow tires. This was originally based on Consumer Reports ratings but he Tire Rack ratings are just as exemplary so reinforce the decision.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain