can I get boglehead approval for a 70K truck?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: can I get boglehead approval for a 70K truck?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Money_Badger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am I happen to think the Cybertruck is ugly AF. Other than that, go for it man.
It is actually uglier than my Model X, and that’s saying a lot. But, I still ordered one, because I want to be able to throw firewood in the bed without worrying about gently placing logs in.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ZWorkLess

Post by ZWorkLess »

You're 31 and earning 300-400k and already have 3/4 of a million in the bank.

Buy any vehicle you want. :) As long as you're saving a substantial portion of that income each year and progressing towards your long term financial goals, IMHO, you can/should enjoy the remainder of it.

You don't need anyone's permission. :) Have fun!
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I disapprove. Not because you can't afford it, but because that truck is awful looking.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:06 am
Stinky wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 am OP, I note that you used the word "gamble" in describing your investments three times already in this thread.

I guess that I'm fine with you buying a Toyota right now.

But I'd wait on making a final commitment to the cyber truck until you can legitimately say that you've stopped "gambling" and started "investing" with your life savings.
calculated risk? is that wording better? nothing is ever guaranteed in life. everything is always a gamble. everyone lives with their risk profile, and i am okay with 100% in tesla.
lol this is hilarious. I dont know what you do but we are roughly in the same boat but I am 4 years older. I make a bit less but live in a LCOL area. there is a gulf of difference between 'calculated risk' and 'gamble.' if you dont know this then its important to understand first. If you do know the difference then you have outed yourself as a troll.

risk is measurable. gambling by definition is not. thats the difference. investing in broad index is a risky endeavor. while we know day to day it will vary broadly over decades we feel confident it will go up based on the basics of the american (and world) economy. whereas buying individual stocks we dont know.

You mentioned that tesla is a great investment because of all the things it does and listed them. What you failed to include was fraud, misuse of investor funds, and competitors. Any and all of these can come up and dash all the best intentions. Not saying Musk is a fraud and certainly not claiming this will happen but it can and has before. Ill stop there.

You arent the first to post here trolling or being naive and certainly wont be the last. For sure though, you are in either one of those categories. Brewski.
mall0c

Post by mall0c »

I'm much more worried by your "investing" decisions than your truck purchase.
FIRE'd. Mid-40s.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

mall0c wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:10 am I'm much more worried by your "investing" decisions than your truck purchase.
A recession is going to put a lot of things into perspective for the younger members of this board who have experienced nothing but stock gains and have all-stock portfolios. They will learn from experience. I hope it doesn't hurt too much.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

1.8 million at 31 all in VOO/VTI and you'd never have to worry about investing any more money for the rest of your life. Then you could spend your 300/400k anyway you want. You missed your chance so now just buy a used F150. 😂
jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter »

I wouldn't buy a 70k electric truck to haul anything. Take a look at the Nissan Titan XD in diesel. Tows 12,0000 pounds, will last 300k miles easy, and can be had for about 40k. It also has a 100k mile warranty.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (truck).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am anybody have any issues with my order of the cyber truck at 70K? also, planning on using the SR-5 for 2-3 years and probably sell at a 5-10K loss?
Obviously, purchasing a $35K vehicle and then another $75K vehicle goes against the BH principle of living below your means (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Living_below_your_means)

So if you are looking for approval from the BH gods, the answer would be "not approved". Certainly if you need a vehicle to tow dirt bikes and the like, then you can get one to do that for much less than $75K. The $35K vehicle can do that just fine.

However, given your pattern of going against the standard BH philosophy, it truly puzzles me why you would even bother seeking approval from this community. Are you really going to cancel your Cybertruck order? I would be shocked if the answer is yes, but I am willing to be surprised.

If you want to buy the Cybertruck, by all means do it. Sounds like it won't put you in the poor house. However, be truthful with yourself that this purchase is a "want" not a "need".

Nothing wrong with "wants". I know I have purchased things because I want them. For instance, when I was getting my first new car, I wanted one with a power moonroof. I had always wanted a moonroof on a car. Sure, a car without a moonroof could have gotten me from point A to point B just as well. But I wanted one. So I got it. However, I didn't try to rationalize it by convincing myself that it was a smart financial move that aligned with the BH philosophy. I knew it was a "want" and I was okay with that. Didn't feel guilty in the least.

So go buy it. Enjoy it. But don't try to justify it on financial grounds.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

You really don’t need approval for large purchases as you can afford it so it’s a personal decision. Just be careful not to “reward” yourself every time a risky investment pays off. It will eat into your return which increases risk. When high risk investments pay off, consider banking your returns so your portfolio grows to a point where you are financially independent and can protect your portfolio (and your retirement security) with lower-risk diversified holdings. You may not be making > $300k-$400k annually until retirement - life can throw curveballs.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I was gonna get a Chevy limited but decided on something different. :D
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

humblecoder wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:52 am So go buy it. Enjoy it. But don't try to justify it on financial grounds.
It’s a $100 deposit fully refundable. OP will be a multi-millionaire or a pauper before the vehicle becomes available. OP can decide then.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I would seriously not investing in a single stock, esp Tesla which is a car company.

We are shifting to the age of bicycles and transit, look at Paris' transformation recently, it is an attractive model for livability.

Discussions about federal highway/transit ratio going from 80:20 to 50:50.

We own the last car we will ever own, which is a 2011 crv with 100k miles. We simply don't drive it, and won't need it as soon as our kids are out of car seats. I've got an electric bakfiet on order which will eliminate trips even more. I live in a midwest city, not manhattan. Cars are antiquated boomer and elon fanboy toys.

My new $3000 minivan:
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Shalom Aleichem

Post by Shalom Aleichem »

The cyber truck deposit is $100. So it’s not like you’re actually paying money now. You pay when the truck comes in. It’s basically as I understand a free loan to tesla. I’m in the same boat. I used my minivan for mountain biking to transport the bike. It was totaled. I can hook up a bike rack to my sedan but I don’t like the small extra effort and sometimes it scratches the paint. Also id like something that can transport more people for concerts and such. And I’d like my next car to be electric. So I have a deposit in too. When he says deposit he doesn’t really mean deposit. It’s $100.

If you’re only going to have the truck for 1-2 y (when tesla production comes out) you might think about leasing a truck now and buying the tesla when it comes out.
jack.bauer

Post by jack.bauer »

This guy has to be a troll. Only trolls creat accounts in communities they dont believe in. Thats the definition of a troll.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 am
sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 am
bstewie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:57 am
sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:54 am
bstewie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 am if you lost more than half your portfolio in 3m while the market has gone up, you probably need to stop gambling a lot more than you want a truck.
was gambling with some spacs, started at 500K, got up to 1.8 mill, went back down to 750K. still went up like 50ish %? cant complain, but was up 200-300%, wish i cashed out in time :oops:
you lost me at “still all-in on tesla and ok with the gamble”
do some more research....if im wrong... i am okay with that... boglehead index fund investing is out-dated. lets meet back in 2030? tesla out here solving real world problems (Self driving AI, battery technology, amazing cars (albeit not the best of qualities), potential for robo-taxis (will make uber/lyft obsolete)). I admit, the FSD still has a lot of work, but i am betting they will figure it out. Lets meet in 2030 and see how well this ages?
This comment is interesting. You say boglehead indexing is out dated yet you come here for their approval in order to buy a truck. It just feels like you are in the wrong forum.

However, I’d say once you have your retirement locked into a diverse portfolio of indexes to an amount you are satisfied with that will allow you to live the life you want for the rest of your days. Then, and only then, go buy all the trucks an Tesla you’d like. If that’s the case right now then you are doing fine. If it’s not, I’d take a long hard look at what your doing an consider it with an open mind.
+1

Index funds were never about getting rich quick.

Are you trying to hit a big lottery win or just like the thrill of gambling?

Lock in the boring, lower volatility, lower risk portfolio, then go crazy gambling after that if you must.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 am
Money_Badger wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am I happen to think the Cybertruck is ugly AF. Other than that, go for it man.
It is actually uglier than my Model X, and that’s saying a lot. But, I still ordered one, because I want to be able to throw firewood in the bed without worrying about gently placing logs in.
Personally I think all standard pickup trucks are ugly and dumpy looking. I've always been more of a fan of sedans and hatchbacks (I don't care for SUVs either which all look like minivans or pickup trucks with a camper top to me).

The Cybertruck is a better looking vehicle by far to me, but I've never liked the look of standard pickup trucks.

We have put down the $100 refundable deposit on the dual motor with FSD. Not sure yet if we will actually buy just yet.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Slacker wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:46 am We have put down the $100 refundable deposit on the dual motor with FSD. Not sure yet if we will actually buy just yet.
I don’t need the tri-Motor, but I’m sure Tesla will deliver those first, and since I’m almost 70, I wanted earlier delivery :D

My wife thinks the CyberTruck is “cute.” I’m not going to speculate what that means in terms of her thinking I’m handsome :sharebeer
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

bstewie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 am if you lost more than half your portfolio in 3m while the market has gone up, you probably need to stop gambling a lot more than you want a truck.
was gambling with some spacs, started at 500K, got up to 1.8 mill, went back down to 750K. still went up like 50ish %? cant complain, but was up 200-300%, wish i cashed out in time :oops:
do some more research....if im wrong... i am okay with that... boglehead index fund investing is out-dated. lets meet back in 2030? tesla out here solving real world problems (Self driving AI, battery technology, amazing cars (albeit not the best of qualities), potential for robo-taxis (will make uber/lyft obsolete)). I admit, the FSD still has a lot of work, but i am betting they will figure it out. Lets meet in 2030 and see how well this ages?
IF Tesla works out that well (and it very well might), this Boglehead will have a rather large position in it as well. Only it will be through VTSAX.
CPonzi

Post by CPonzi »

jebmke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am You can't take it with you when you go. Buy the truck.
I’ve never understood why people feel they need permission from random internet people to spend their own money.
IMO the OP isn't asking for advice. Almost all Bogleheads disagree with his investment approach yet he sees the need to point it out... why would he listen to their car purchasing advice. If OP was truly seeking advice on a purchase he would have left the 100% Tesla Asset Allocation out of the post knowing it would divert attention from the Cyber Truck purchase approval.

My question is still, if the OP believes so much in Tesla, why is he driving a Honda and looking to buy a Toyota? There are some great Tesla autos out there now vs. waiting 3 years.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Why the hell not?
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

Cycle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:04 am I would seriously not investing in a single stock, esp Tesla which is a car company.

We are shifting to the age of bicycles and transit, look at Paris' transformation recently, it is an attractive model for livability.

Discussions about federal highway/transit ratio going from 80:20 to 50:50.

We own the last car we will ever own, which is a 2011 crv with 100k miles. We simply don't drive it, and won't need it as soon as our kids are out of car seats. I've got an electric bakfiet on order which will eliminate trips even more. I live in a midwest city, not manhattan. Cars are antiquated boomer and elon fanboy toys.

My new $3000 minivan:

You live in china?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Since you don't approve of the Boglehead methodology for investing, my advice to you would be get a second mortgage if you don't have one, cash out all retirement accounts if you have anything not investing in Tesla, sell everything you have, make a margin loan of mammoth proportions and actually be real gambler and put everything on Tesla.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

“Boglehead index fund investing is out-dated.” My guess is 50 year old you will look back at 31 year old you and groan. You’re betting on concentration and being smarter than the market. Good luck with that in the long-term. Maybe you get lucky, maybe you don’t.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

400k income and you want to buy 70k truck? :shock:

Denied! Denied! Denied!

Come back when you have 70 Mil portfolio, and it better be approval for a 3 yr old Camry that you will own and drive for at-least 200k miles. :D :-P 8-)
squirm

Post by squirm »

Everything is great and everyone is giddy while the trade is going their way. Once that breaks and the trade goes against them everyone gets upset and blames someone else. Always happens...but this time it's different, right?
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 am Hello All,

I pre-ordered a cyber truck (70K) but probably wont be able to get it until the next 2-3 years (huge back log).

I am planning on buying a Toyota SR-5, brand new, for 35Kish? Probably hold onto it for 2-3 years before the delivery of my cyber truck.

Reasons I need the SR-5 is due to:

-towing my dirt bike for the tracks
-towing my dirt bike for the trails
-towing my MTB for the trails

I currently drive a 2011 Honda accord (KBB = 7Kish?).

Im doing pretty well right now, with 750K in investments (I gambled earlier this year and got up to 1.8 mill, but lost a lot of my gains). Currently all in-on tesla and okay with the gamble.

31 y/o, 300-400K/year salary.

anybody have any issues with my order of the cyber truck at 70K? also, planning on using the SR-5 for 2-3 years and probably sell at a 5-10K loss?

thanks in advance!
Tesla returns are awful. Speculate in the futures market if you want real returns.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

bogledogle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm 400k income and you want to buy 70k truck? :shock:

Denied! Denied! Denied!

Come back when you have 70 Mil portfolio, and it better be approval for a 3 yr old Camry that you will own and drive for at-least 200k miles. :D :-P 8-)
Trust me. 400k can go by quickly. I know this. 70k is 10k more than our annual expense.
Time is the ultimate currency.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

What you should really consider is how much Tesla stock you will need to sell to afford all the customizations to your Cybertruck.
squirm

Post by squirm »

bogledogle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 pm 400k income and you want to buy 70k truck? :shock:

Denied! Denied! Denied!

No no, I hate those that post the "hi, I have 6 million in equities and 2 million in cash, can I buy a used Camry?" threads. They're really just flaunting their worth.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I pre-ordered a cyber truck (70K) but probably wont be able to get it until the next 2-3 years (huge back log).

I am planning on buying a Toyota SR-5, brand new, for 35Kish? Probably hold onto it for 2-3 years before the delivery of my cyber truck.

Im doing pretty well right now, with 750K in investments (I gambled earlier this year and got up to 1.8 mill, but lost a lot of my gains). Currently all in-on tesla and okay with the gamble.

anybody have any issues with my order of the cyber truck at 70K? also, planning on using the SR-5 for 2-3 years and probably sell at a 5-10K loss?

thanks in advance!

Dude?? WHAT?? HOW!??!?!?
I mean since the Cybertruck seems to never be coming out, sure, whatever.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Steve747

Post by Steve747 »

Last edited by Steve747 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

thanks in advance!
Have you read the thread “get rich by driving a $2000-$4000 car? Apparently there’s a bunch of millionaires here who drive clunkers.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

I’m checking Bogleheads from the bed in my $130,000 RV that I didn’t ask internet strangers if it was okay if I bought (with cash).

If you want something and you have a high enough income/net worth to justify the purchase then go ahead and spend the money. There’s no award for the richest dead guy in the grave yard, after all.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

squirm wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 pm Everything is great and everyone is giddy while the trade is going their way. Once that breaks and the trade goes against them everyone gets upset and blames someone else. Always happens...but this time it's different, right?
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat. But the man worth while, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are to tight in the seat :sharebeer
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:58 pm I’m checking Bogleheads from the bed in my $130,000 RV that I didn’t ask internet strangers if it was okay if I bought (with cash).

If you want something and you have a high enough income/net worth to justify the purchase then go ahead and spend the money. There’s no award for the richest dead guy in the grave yard, after all.
Wanderingwheelz, what do you think of the Earth Roamer? https://earthroamer.com

Dave
Last edited by Dave55 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
bglhdism

Post by bglhdism »

For 70k and wanting to do outdoors stuff, carry bikes, etc, have you considered a Rivian R1T? Current delivery on website showing as Jan 2022 which is a lot sooner than 2-3 years.

boglebill

Post by boglebill »

sjl333 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 am do some more research....if im wrong... i am okay with that... boglehead index fund investing is out-dated. lets meet back in 2030? tesla out here solving real world problems (Self driving AI, battery technology, amazing cars (albeit not the best of qualities), potential for robo-taxis (will make uber/lyft obsolete)). I admit, the FSD still has a lot of work, but i am betting they will figure it out. Lets meet in 2030 and see how well this ages?
Index funds are outdated.
Meet back in 2030.
Got it.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Maybe you should invest in an NFT of a Cyber truck instead.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

jack.bauer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:27 am This guy has to be a troll. Only trolls creat accounts in communities they dont believe in. Thats the definition of a troll.
He’s been a member here seven years.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

jayk238 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:34 pm You live in china?
Ha, no, I order some things factory direct through Alibaba.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
grkmec

Post by grkmec »

Funny how you don’t need boglehead approval to gamble $1.8mm on spacs, but for a truck purchase you do
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Go for it!!!!

But I would reconsider your investment philosophy.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
cityscapex5

Post by cityscapex5 »

If you really want to gamble....get a Dodge Ram :D
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

You don't get my approval until you indicate an understanding that the "Toyota SR-5" is not a model, it's a trim level.

If you think SR-5 is the model, then you probably shouldn't be making ANY car buying decisions.

Just one car guy's opinion...
bgf

Post by bgf »

I can't believe you want that over the Hummer. I approve the Hummer, not the cybertrash.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

A few months ago the OP posted about his dad having $1mil in Tesla stock and how he really wanted his dad to diversify. Now he himself is all in also.
My my how quickly things change when you’re on a hot streak :)

Buy any car you want, you make good money.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

Surprised that this topic died natural death instead of getting locked like the Model S Plaid one.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Buy the truck.

"tesla out here solving real world problems"

I want to hear more about Tesla curing cancer, feeding the starving, etc.