Hoover Vacuum Problem (Mystery Solved)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Hoover Vacuum Problem (Mystery Solved)

Post by sport »

We have an upright Hoover vacuum cleaner that is about 23 years old. It is a fancy model with nice features. It has worked flawlessly until now. It has leaked about 2 oz. of a brown liquid. The liquid is a little sticky, but not oily. The motor and suction still work, but the brush no longer turns. So, I have some questions:
1. What might be wrong with it?
2. Does it pay to get it repaired? I expect I would have to take it to a repair shop for that.
Last edited by sport on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheese_breath

Re: Hoover Vacuum Problem

Post by cheese_breath »

Are you keeping this for it's antique value? Get a new one with a HEPA filter.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:17 pm Are you keeping this for it's antique value? Get a new one with a HEPA filter.
It has a HEPA filter. It has other nice features too, and it has worked very well. It may be time to send it to the great appliance cemetery in the sky, but that is what I am trying to determine.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Crikey. It's almost as old as some of my socks. Do people still get appliances repaired? It would be fun to compare its abilities with a new one, like my Shark Navigator Liftaway. You might be horrified.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

If you like it, take it to a Vaccuum repaid shop and see what they say.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:38 pm Crikey. It's almost as old as some of my socks..
Do you patch your socks? :happy
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
egrets

Post by egrets »

There's a vacuum repair place near where I live. If I were in your situation, I'd take it in and talk to the old gentleman who runs it. You may have to hunt around to find someone like that.

The trouble with replacing old things is most new things are crap.
westie

Post by westie »

Probably time to replace but you could look online through - Abby's Guide Vacuums - a forum for vacuums repair first.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Normchad wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 pm If you like it, take it to a Vaccuum (sic) repaid (double sic) shop and see what they say.
There was a vacuum machine repair shop where I used to live...it was kind of a rest home for inoperable machines. Because the repairperson was slow...really slow...he was more of a collector than a repairperson. I don't remember if he offered loaners.

I think if you can't fix it yourself you will be buying a new one.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

My 40 year old vacuum needed a little work last weekend. Working better than before now.

I have never had a vacuum leak 2 oz of a sticky substance and can not imagine what it would be. I am curious to see if someone can explain that.

You do not mention taking the bottom off to see if the problem is just something stuck in the roller or a belt that has slipped or needs replaced. I would at least do that. If you have not this yourself before, find a YouTube video on your model. I would rate that part of the job as one wrench for Easy.
Last edited by Katietsu on Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 »

Come on Sport. Splurge on a new vacuum. You can get a brand new older model Oreck for less than $150 on Amazon. It's not a watch where you want to hand it down from generation to generation. lol
wander

Post by wander »

Yeah, It sounds like it's a good time to get a new one.
MaskelyneW

Post by MaskelyneW »

Is there any chance the belt smoked/burned up? You would know for sure if that happened because of the pungent odor. That would explain why the brush isn't turning. Can't explain the brown sticky substance unless its melted rubber from the belt? I recently did a teardown/rebuild of a Hoover of this age/type and it was fairly easy - quite satisfying too. Good luck

Post by 123 »

At 23 years of age many of the critical parts are undoubtedly made of plastic. Possibly a sturdy plastic but plastic none the less. Twenty-three years for the plastic to warp, dry out, and crack.

I see a new vacuum in your future.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
sport

Re: Hoover Vacuum Problem (Mystery Solved)

Post by sport »

Well, the mystery has been solved. It turned out that there were two unrelated problems that happened at the same time.

1. The agitator belt broke. I replaced the belt and every thing is in working order. It may even last another 23 years. We even had an extra belt on hand, so the out-of-pocket cost was $0.
2. A can of Coca Cola that was on a shelf in the closet above where the vacuum is stored sprung a leak. That explains the "sticky brown liquid" seeping from the vacuum. That can normally would have been consumed a long time ago. However, we have that variety of Coke for one particular guest who has not been to our house in more than a year due to the pandemic. I will discard the other cans in that carton before any more decide to leak. It made quite a mess.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

sport wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm...
2. A can of Coca Cola that was on a shelf in the closet above where the vacuum is stored sprung a leak. That explains the "sticky brown liquid" seeping from the vacuum. That can normally would have been consumed a long time ago. However, we have that variety of Coke for one particular guest who has not been to our house in more than a year due to the pandemic. I will discard the other cans in that carton before any more decide to leak. It made quite a mess.
Old cokes taste really bad, so should be poured out.

When I moved and became a mid-level supervisor in a new organization, and knowing that subordinates suspect we don't know anything (pointy-haired boss)... I'd make a coke bet when problems appeared, as to the problem nature/fix. (I only made bets I was confident I'd win, otherwise I deferred to their expertise.)

Never lost a bet. When I won, I'd get my coke, write "First/second/... from xxxxx." on a sticky and stack can on a shelf for all to see when they passed by. Had a small pyramid of cans when I left.

Lesson learned. Took them all home, put them in the frig, and planned to drink them. Old cokes taste really bad, so poured them all out. Should have enjoyed drinking the cokes as I won each bet, and labeled/stacked the empty cans.

Suggestion. Buy fresh coke for your friend for each planned visit. Or you could drink/rotate their stock to keep it fresh. Otherwise they drink what you drink.

Dusting and vacuuming. My least favorite chores, so bought a robot vacuum with a self-emptying base. Love it; should have done this years ago.

Have also learned to use a hand-held dust mop and hairdryer to do my dusting---takes <2mins/room to agitate/blow dust off fixtures/furniture/... and onto floor. Then run robot vacuum. Sweet.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

sport wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:59 pm

1. The agitator belt broke. I replaced the belt and every thing is in working order. It may even last another 23 years. We even had an extra belt on hand, so the out-of-pocket cost was $0.
My grandmother’s early Hoover, a behemoth of chrome and black leather, lasted first her, then my mother, a total of 82 years.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

wander wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:26 pm Yeah, It sounds like it's a good time to get a new one.
I have a Sears lawn mower that I bought in 1985, still works. The funny thing is a year after I bought it they tried to sell me an extended warranty. I said no.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

1. Congrats on solving your problem yourself.

2. Reminder to self: when out, ask how old the Coke is.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

The next time I see sticky brown liquid leaking from something, I'll give it the taste test. Might get lucky with "the real thing."
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:04 am The next time I see sticky brown liquid leaking from something, I'll give it the taste test. Might get lucky with "the real thing."
:) :) :)
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

I still use the Hoover Upright purchased in 1982. I have replaced many internal parts myself. That is the only vacuum we have. It has been a decade since biweekly maid service; so for the last ten years, Hoover has not been in weekly use except in emergency use and for car seats etc.