Replacement battery for solar landscape lights?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
surfinagin

Replacement battery for solar landscape lights?

Post by surfinagin »

3 sets of Martha Stewart Skyland Lights given to us have worked surprisingly well for a few years.
Need batteries -can't find equivalent 850mAh replacement.
Specs: LiFePO4, size 18500, 3.2V, 850mAh.
Lowes has (2) Duracell 1000mAh: $13
HD has (2) Hampton Bay 1000mAh: $14
Amazon has (2) Ultralast 1000mAh: $16
Ace Hardware has (2) Ultralast 800mAh: $9

Recommendations regarding battery applicability and/or best brand/supplier appreciated.
Thanks for your time!
badger42

Re: Replacement battery for solar landscape lights?

Post by badger42 »

As long as they are still 3.2V / same chemistry, any of the 1000mAh batteries should be fine. Charging cutoffs are done by voltage, not capacity.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

badger42 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 pm As long as they are still 3.2V / same chemistry, any of the 1000mAh batteries should be fine. Charging cutoffs are done by voltage, not capacity.
This.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

Thanks for your replies-
Suppose the different brands may be made by same supplier like car batteries(?)
Pricing is fairly close -just want to avoid junk.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I’d probably get the Duracells. Have you checked Batteries + Bulbs?
Topic Author
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm I’d probably get the Duracells. Have you checked Batteries + Bulbs?
Thanks for your reply-
Just checked -they have the Ultralast for $13 w/free shipping. Better than Amazon $16.
Not familiar w/the brand though.
Just based on the familiar name, agree regarding Duracell, and EZ to get at Lowes
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

surfinagin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm I’d probably get the Duracells. Have you checked Batteries + Bulbs?
Thanks for your reply-
Just checked -they have the Ultralast for $13 w/free shipping. Better than Amazon $16.
Just based on the familiar name, agree regarding Duracell, and EZ to get at Lowes
I agree, I’ve never heard of that brand, but I assume B+B wouldn’t sell junk.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

quantAndHold wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:23 pm
surfinagin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:18 pm
Thanks for your reply-
I agree, I’ve never heard of that brand, but I assume B+B wouldn’t sell junk.
The battery industry has a lot of small brands that either make uncommon cell sizes that bigger manufacturers tend to ignore, or rebrand cells made by the bigger manufacturers as their own, since the bigger manufacturers generally try to sell rechargeable lithium cells only to device manufacturers, not to consumer retail outlets. I would bet that the Hamptom Bay and Ultralast are the same battery with different wrappers on them, and the Duracell might be as well.

It is difficult to be absolutely certain of quality in this context, but I absolutely would buy these from Batteries Plus, HD, or Lowes over Amazon. Amazon's loose control over 3rd party sellers has led to them being an outlet for low quality batteries, a fact which they are currently being sued for. The more traditional retailers have more direct responsibility for their product line.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have had hit and miss experience with replacing batteries in solar lights. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t - it seems that sometimes there are issues besides the batteries that are the root cause. Over times, I have noticed that the solar cells and collectors become cloudy and/or sun damaged, for example, so you go to the expense of replacing batteries and don’t get the results you were hoping for.
Topic Author
surfinagin

Post by surfinagin »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 pm Amazon's loose control over 3rd party sellers has led to them being an outlet for low quality batteries, a fact which they are currently being sued for.
Wasn't aware, but recently began applying "Caveat Emptor" much more carefully regarding games played on Amazon! Amazon is not in my Circle Of Trust. :wink:
Kenkat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:15 pm I have had hit and miss experience with replacing batteries in solar lights. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t - it seems that sometimes there are issues besides the batteries that are the root cause. Over times, I have noticed that the solar cells and collectors become cloudy and/or sun damaged, for example, so you go to the expense of replacing batteries and don’t get the results you were hoping for.
Good point. Batteries were obviously degraded, but if it turns out there's another issue have 2 more sets of lights they can be used for!

Thanks for your replies
egrets

Post by egrets »

I always buy Duracells. They seem to be much better than the other brands I've used.