2021 Wrangler Rubicon unlimited

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
klondike

2021 Wrangler Rubicon unlimited

Post by klondike »

Hi,
I'm in the market to buy a 4x4 for off-roading. I have never done any serious off-roading but recently developed interests in learning it. I want to be able to do some entry level rock crawling someday.

I drove a Wrangler Sport unlimited when I was in Hawaii for a vacation few years ago. I don't feel it's particularly difficult or terrible to drive on-road.

After lots of homework done, I'm thinking of a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. It will be my second or 3 vehicle. I may want to drive to work(15-minutes) daily if it turns out to be an acceptable daily driver.

Pros:
1) Easy to DIY fix, engine and driveline are pretty reliable. Most problems I read are damages to suspensions due to driving it hard. I'm quite mechanically savvy and can do engine and transmission heavy line work myself at home.
2) Very offload capable.
3) Lots of potentials in case I am really getting into off-roading.
4) Electronically disconnect sway bar.

Cons: I think I can live with:
1) Excessive play on steering wheel, be careful driving on the interstates.
2) Uncomfortable ride in town.
3) Excessive wind noise.
4) Water leaks from the top and windows -- not a big deal in SoCal.

Any serious cons that I missed? I'm thinking of getting a 3.6L standard engine. Should I get a stick or auto? Does stick offer more control as my skills improve?
Thanks!
sport

Re: 2021 Wrangler Rubicon unlimited

Post by sport »

Consumer Reports has always rated Jeep products as having very poor reliability in the past. I have not seen recent ratings.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

1. In addition to the other cons don't forget about the poor gas mileage.

2. Jeeps do not have a rep for being reliable. On the plus side they are apparently not as bad as a Landrover.

3. Very good resale value if you decide it's not for you.
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

It goes against the usual Civic/Camry Bogleheads-approved car recommendations, but I'd say go for it! If you really think you'll get into offroading there's not a better choice out there, except either an older Rubicon so you don't feel as bad about the inevitable body damage, or a side-by-side if trailering a rig to the trails is an option for you.

MPG is bad on a Jeep, but that's not why you're buying it. Big tires, good ground clearance, good visibility, and no silly aerodynamic chin spoilers to get torn off all come at a cost. Drive one of your other vehicles on road trips or when your Jeep is getting some trail damage fixed.

Stickshift is a lot of fun and provides a more engaging driving experience, but the reality is that it can be tough to feather the throttle, clutch, and brake all at the same time in technical situations. If you're truly rock crawling as opposed to tooling around on some forest service trails or a beach an automatic can make your life easier. The crawl ratio on the manual is 84:1 and 77:1 on the auto, so the gearing doesn't favor the manual as much as in the past.

If you're worried about wind noise or leaks, you might consider the hard top. You can still remove the top/doors/windshield if you want the open air experience.

The 3.6 Pentastar is a proven engine, if not a little unexciting. I wouldn't get the diesel unless you already know you want a diesel and are willing to deal with modern diesel emissions. The 392 Hemi would also be a lot of fun...

Jeep critics love to point out old Chrysler reliability scores. My experience is that yes minor electronics and luxury type stuff might be problematic, however Jeep drivetrains are far more robust than your average vehicle and are better situated to take the type of abuse you're considering subjecting it to than your average crossover SUV.

Figure out how to use the lockers and the right air pressure for your tires and the vehicle won't be what holds you back from getting through a trail.
mx711yam

Post by mx711yam »

I owned a jeep before but it was a grand cherokee. Total piece of crap, so i wont own another jeep product.

The rubicons are sweet looking though.
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

The JL (current generation) wrangler is amazing. My wife and I both drive them. I would recommend power soft top. Mine is a barebones gladiator sport with manual doors/ locks.
TimeMan

Post by TimeMan »

My wife drives a 2020 JLUR. Less than a week after bringing it home we had the dealer put the Mopar lift, bead locks and 37"s on it. She LOVES it.

That was in October 2019. Today I'd SERIOUSLY look at the full size Bronco (not the sport).

I owned a '92 Bronco for 7 years and sold it in 2014. The new model fixes everything wrong with the old one and looks great.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

TimeMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 pm My wife drives a 2020 JLUR. Less than a week after bringing it home we had the dealer put the Mopar lift, bead locks and 37"s on it. She LOVES it.

That was in October 2019. Today I'd SERIOUSLY look at the full size Bronco (not the sport).

I owned a '92 Bronco for 7 years and sold it in 2014. The new model fixes everything wrong with the old one and looks great.
Mind sharing what you think the new bronco has that's better than the old one? Thanks!
TimeMan

Post by TimeMan »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 pm
TimeMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 pm My wife drives a 2020 JLUR. Less than a week after bringing it home we had the dealer put the Mopar lift, bead locks and 37"s on it. She LOVES it.

Mind sharing what you think the new bronco has that's better than the old one? Thanks!
I'm not one to buy a first year new platform, but I still have dreams of my Bronco every now and then. I think they did a great job in the looks department and it looks like they fully embraced the aftermarket/mods. Jeep clearly has a long running aftermarket, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like this out of the gate.

I think they nailed the retro styling.
I like the fact the doors are frameless at the top.
I like the fact the mirrors are on the body and not the doors (still mirrors when you remove the doors)
I like the fact the doors can fit in the trunk.
I like the fact the roof can be taken off by 1 person.
I like the fact there's no bar across the middle of the cab with the roof off so you get a full open air experience.

And it's just sexy. If it holds up off road like the Rubicon...Jeep finally gets some competition.
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

klondike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm Hi,
I'm in the market to buy a 4x4 for off-roading. ....After lots of homework done, I'm thinking of a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. It will be my second or 3 vehicle. I may want to drive to work(15-minutes) daily if it turns out to be an acceptable daily driver.

Any serious cons that I missed? I'm thinking of getting a 3.6L standard engine. Should I get a stick or auto? Does stick offer more control as my skills improve?
Recommend you need to do your own personal assessment. How much daily commute vs offroading will you actually do? Based on my non-precise observations here in Colorado, I would say that many Rubicons spend less than 2% of their time off-road, the rest are daily commutes and trips to the grocery store.

Nothing wrong with that. For that example of 98% of expected driving, the 3.6L engine with an automatic is fine. Offroad, it will still get you most places, unless you are pulling a trailer. Be happy with the improved gas mileage. A stick, combined with a low axle ratio, is very helpful in some off roading situations, but generally a pain in the city due to slower acceleration and constant shifting in traffic.

I had an older Jeep set up for fairly intense offroading (lower gear ratios, larger tires, manual transmission with an extreme low 1st gear, tilt indicators for off camber situations, hi-lift jack, extra gas cans, extra lights, winch on front, etc.). Driving in city traffic was doable, but not exactly fun. It would have been nice at times to have A/C, real doors, and a solid top, particularly when parking in sketchy areas. A lock box was required when I kept valuables inside the vehicle. On the other hand, there was a tremendous amount of challenge and excitement when I needed to chain up all four wheels and use the winch to get into an area I wanted to explore. An advantage of the soft top is that one could remove doors on the older jeeps, permitting one to jump out if the vehicle decided to take the quick way down the cliff edge (do that trick without passengers). Only rolled once.

Today, I am happy with A/C, auto-hubs, and an automatic transmission.

Choose wisely. :D
Carson

Post by Carson »

I will address your Cons from the perspective of a small sized female driver who prefers japanese/german engineered coupes/sedans and I don't have much technical vehicle knowledge. My partner is a shadetree mechanic who has a manual 201X Wrangler for his daily driver that he has maintained himself. We don't rock crawl, mainly got it because it was an affordable and appropriate dad car that I could also drive.
klondike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm Cons: I think I can live with:
1) Excessive play on steering wheel, be careful driving on the interstates. - he tightened this steering up somehow. It's not my preferred level of precision but never felt it to be dangerous
2) Uncomfortable ride in town. - disagree - the seats are so cushy and springy, I actually find them extremely comfortable. I do brace for potholes and know that it's not going to respond with a lot of give - it makes more of a noise than actually jars my body.
3) Excessive wind noise. - nah, not terrible, it is worse with the soft top on
4) Water leaks from the top and windows -- not a big deal in SoCal. - we have a hard top which is swapped for a soft top seasonally, I think he had to do something with a gasket at some point, but was not a major issue.
Have fun and enjoy!
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

In 2015 I bought my daughter a 2011 40th anniversary edition Wrangler Unlimited with ~55k miles. It came with the hard top but she bought and used a soft top for several years before switching back to the hard top.

In addition to normal college kid driving, she's taken it to festivals all over the US so that it now has >140k miles. We had one repair bill late last year of about $1,800 but that isn't unexpected for a 10 year old vehicle with that many miles. YMMV.
AA: 38/43/19 - equities/positive return-zero volatility/bonds | DW retired 2019, I retired 2022, "it'll be fine"
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I'm an enthusiastic offroader. My club is actually going out to clear back growth Saturday. I have a 14 Unlimited Sport. Upgrades include 2.5" lift, 295-70-17 Dick Cepek Extreme Terrain tires on stock alloys on 1.5" adapters. Skid plates on oil pan, transmission and gas tank. I've relocated the evap canister to above the axle. Front steel bumper with a winch. Mine is a sport with only rear limited slip. I also have rock rails on the sides. And last, I've relocated my steering stabilizer to above the tie rod with a home made setup.

Ok, for yours. The e locking front and back are great to have and the heavier duty D44 front axle is also great to have vs my front D30. The auto disconnnect front sway has always been a point of failure. If I were to have a Rubicon, I'd still manually disconnect the sway bar end links at the trail head.

With tires like mine, the vehicle drives like a truck on the road. My 3.6L pulls it just fine, even with big tires and 3.21 gears (yours will be better). A JLU will allow bigger tires even without a lift. Remember that it's a 2 live axle vehicle. So maybe 1990's pickup kind of ride. My soft top has never leaked.

Jeep clubs and offroad clubs are everywhere. Join one. They are so much help when on the trail. I've learned a ton from mine.

If you're going to do rock crawling, you'll make use of the Rubicon rock rails. You can certainly upgrade to something that extends out a bit more to give you some safety margin. I don't know if the JL still has the steering stabilizer down below the tie rod. If it does, get the relocation kit and move it above. If not, it will be the first thing to be destroyed.

I've owned 6 cylinder YJ and TJ Jeeps before this one, so I have no complaints about power or highway handling. The long wheelbase of the unlimited makes it just fine. I've done 3 hours on the highway to wheel up in Maine without issue. Sure, it's noisy. So what? Get ready for the Jeep wave. You will see it all the time.

I have had no problems with my Wrangler. It's a 3rd or 4th vehicle in my family, so at 7 years old, it only has about 37k miles, from memory.

Aftermarket is endless for these things. Used also. I bought lots of extra wheels on craigslist for near nothing and bought a used premium OEM soft top on craigslist.

If you wanted to save money, a Sport Unlimited is cheap. Then have a driveline, differential or auto machine shop install your choice of lockers. Or buy a front D44 and then do the installs. Dynatrac sells full kits for this, including the full front D44 with a locker and then the locker to install in your rear D44. But if you have the money, a Rubicon allows you to go and be very well prepared.

Wranglerforums has a good amount of traffic and is broken down by generation. JL's are well represented.

Edit to add....go look at used prices. These things hold their value unbelievably. I was just offered $24k for mine from my dealer. I bought it new 7 years ago for $28,000.
Last edited by Jack FFR1846 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

TimeMan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:52 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 pm

I'm not one to buy a first year new platform, but I still have dreams of my Bronco every now and then. I think they did a great job in the looks department and it looks like they fully embraced the aftermarket/mods. Jeep clearly has a long running aftermarket, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like this out of the gate.

I think they nailed the retro styling.
I like the fact the doors are frameless at the top.
I like the fact the mirrors are on the body and not the doors (still mirrors when you remove the doors)
I like the fact the doors can fit in the trunk.
I like the fact the roof can be taken off by 1 person.
I like the fact there's no bar across the middle of the cab with the roof off so you get a full open air experience.

And it's just sexy. If it holds up off road like the Rubicon...Jeep finally gets some competition.
Apparently there are problems with the 4WD components overheating

https://jalopnik.com/multiple-ford-bron ... 1846450499
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I just read that Bronco article. That is unacceptable and the hill they went up is powder puff in my opinion. Wranglers use an ancient transfer case with a chain drive front engagement. When locked in, there's nothing but gears, a chain and oil. No fancy AWD stuff. I don't know what the Sahara uses as it does have an AWD option. But if this is how Broncos handle offroading, there are going to be unhappy offroaders who saw the lockers and assumed this wasn't a mall crawler.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
FindingPaths

Post by FindingPaths »

I have a 2018 Sport Wrangler (JL) as my daily driver and for trails. It gets 19 in the city and 21 on the highway. Had zero problems with it. Aftermarket is insanely fun to play with and you can easily buy another jeep and shove it into your jeep in aftermarket. No other vehicle I've seen with that much DIY play.

I would not recommend a rubi as a first. It was built for deep 4x4. If you've got a lot of daily drive needs I don't think it's more comfortable but it is a lot more 4x4 (think climbing rocks) capable.

I'd start with a used sport and see how you like it and if you find you want harder trail grades than you can do easily or without so much investment maybe step further up the food chain. Definitely don't buy new unless you just like new-car-depreciation soaks.

Otherwise.. #JeepWave #OneOfUs
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Buy a used, older jeep for rock crawling.

You do not want to take a new 2021 for serious rock crawling.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

If you buy one keep it stock (no lift kits, no big tires, etc..) for a while and see if you really like it and think it's worth going further. I know several TJ (older Jeep Wrangler model) owners who never bothered to make modifications except for slightly more aggressive tires and found that that worked for them and what they wanted to do. Modifying a vehicle for 4-wheeling, especially for rock crawling, can be really expensive.

You know you got the 'bug' when you find yourself having to get a 3/4-ton+ truck and car trailer to haul your Jeep to the trailhead because the Jeep is no longer safe to drive on the street.

Have fun!
Last edited by p14175 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

klondike wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:05 pm Hi,
I'm in the market to buy a 4x4 for off-roading. I have never done any serious off-roading but recently developed interests in learning it. I want to be able to do some entry level rock crawling someday.

I drove a Wrangler Sport unlimited when I was in Hawaii for a vacation few years ago. I don't feel it's particularly difficult or terrible to drive on-road.

After lots of homework done, I'm thinking of a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. It will be my second or 3 vehicle. I may want to drive to work(15-minutes) daily if it turns out to be an acceptable daily driver.

Pros:
1) Easy to DIY fix, engine and driveline are pretty reliable. Most problems I read are damages to suspensions due to driving it hard. I'm quite mechanically savvy and can do engine and transmission heavy line work myself at home.
2) Very offload capable.
3) Lots of potentials in case I am really getting into off-roading.
4) Electronically disconnect sway bar.

Cons: I think I can live with:
1) Excessive play on steering wheel, be careful driving on the interstates.
2) Uncomfortable ride in town.
3) Excessive wind noise.
4) Water leaks from the top and windows -- not a big deal in SoCal.

Thanks!
I have heard it all from Sedona to Moab....re: stick or auto.

My opinion: auto.

"Unless you have three feet and three hands"...that is what my buddies on Sedona said.
Sometimes you need brake AND power.
Yes a TQ converter can slip, but so can a clutch.

The sand guys like stick and some rock guys do-but I think it is more for the macho aspect than real car control.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:34 pm I just read that Bronco article. That is unacceptable and the hill they went up is powder puff in my opinion. Wranglers use an ancient transfer case with a chain drive front engagement. When locked in, there's nothing but gears, a chain and oil. No fancy AWD stuff. I don't know what the Sahara uses as it does have an AWD option. But if this is how Broncos handle offroading, there are going to be unhappy offroaders who saw the lockers and assumed this wasn't a mall crawler.
Note that the article is about the Bronco Sport, not the Bronco. The Bronco Sport is a "tough looking" Ford Escape with a little bit of light off-roading chops added to partially back up the image. Very mild lift vs. the Escape, more aggressive tires, scuff plates, that's about it. It's still a compact unibody FWD-based CUV without a transfer case, that probably sits somewhere between the Compass and Cherokee (but a bit closer to the latter) in terms of ruggedness.

The Bronco is a real BOF truck-based off-roader aimed squarely at the Wrangler. And though it's not yet available, initial signs suggest it should be very competitive in terms of capability. Real transfer case with low range and lockers, 37" tires available from the factory on beadlock-capable rims, heavy skid plates, optional wash-out interior with drain plugs, the whole nine yards. RTI score with swaybar disconnected is 700, Rubicon is 688.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

I'm a bit biased as I'm on my 2nd Jeep, (19 JL Rubicon) but would start with a forum of Wrangler owners... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/
bad1bill

Post by bad1bill »

Haha, love reading this stuff. You are getting some great advice, in general. I live in Colorado BTW.

I have a 97 Wrangler Sport that I absolutely love. I second the advice to buy a used one since they will do everything you want and you won't be beating up a nice new Jeep. You WILL dent and scratch ANY JEEP and if it's used you'll feel better about it. And you can get the experience you need by doing it yourself. You have other cars so don't need a daily driver. I cover mine in the winter and leave the soft top on all year long.

My Jeep is stock (some new sliders after daughter tore old steps off and I also beefed up the skid plates) and I've been over some serious stuff here in Colorado: Black Bear Pass, Schofield Pass, Red Cone, Radical Hill etc. and with proper tire placement (and judicious rock stacking), I've survived and had a ball...

Wranglerforum is a great resource to just start reading and the members are incredibly helpful. You will need tools and other aids (air compressor) so be prepared to stock up.

I also have a 97 Landcruiser (and a Highlander). The LC is also a very capable off-road vehicle and much more comfortable but that short wheelbase does so much so easily...it's more fun (don't tell the people at ih8mud-also incredibly helpful and fanatic newsgroup for LC's-that!)

I have the six cylinder with manual but I think I'd prefer an automatic. Only thing I really wish I had was cruise control to get to Ouray (or Moab) from here on the Front Range (my sciatic bothers me)...

Buy one and have fun!
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

I have a 2006 Wrangler unlimited. Its my daily driver but my commute is only a couple miles. The more you go off road the worse it gets for a daily driver. Especially if you gear it down a lot. A wrangler is a toy imo. If you're wanting it to toy around off road just buy one someone has already modded. You'll save a ton of money and you'll be able to sell it for near what you paid. Then get or keep a good daily driver.
capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy »

I have had my head set on a rubicon wrangler or possibly a gladiator with the new ecodiesel. After looking around a bit I would seriously considering a bronco badlands with all the fixings. Won't happen anytime soon for me but a guy can dream right? :D
Topic Author
klondike

Post by klondike »

Thank you all for the great advices! I asked here because I know there are got to be Boglehead Wrangler enthusiasts who know finance and cars equally well.

Looks like I can forget about the stickshift. I took a closer look at some Wranglers in our parking lot. Seems to me the drivetrain and suspension are very beefy and simple (in some ways) comparing to a normal car. It has a lot of ground clearance and space so it's easy to work under it. It will be a fun car to wrenching on. The more I look the more I want to get the damn car and get it now :D

The reasons I was thinking a new one is that 1) The used are very expensive here in SoCal selling like hot cakes 2) I'm under impression that most Wranglers are meant to be driven hard or abused therefore, without knowing the history of the car, I might just get a new one. Now you guys made me seriously consider a used one to get started. Dinging and denting a brand new Rubicon suck.

Thanks again :sharebeer
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

If you want to consider used, I had a great experience at carmax recently. 30 day return window and during the first 90 days they fix most stuff you point out on their dime. They’re replacing my brakes now for free. Not mention they’ll sell you an aftermarket warranty for up to 60 months / 150k miles at a reasonable price.
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

I think once you start looking at actual used cars and see how well Wranglers hold their value, you'll go back to looking at a new one. New vehicles also get rebates, discounts, etc., that used vehicles don't. Your other option on used is to go to the Wrangler forums and all of them have a section for people selling their vehicles. Every now and then a really good deal pops up. Given your skill sets with potential modifications, you might find a late model JL with low miles that has not been modified and you can upgrade over time.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

sport wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:17 pm Consumer Reports has always rated Jeep products as having very poor reliability in the past. I have not seen recent ratings.
Just
Empty
Every
Penny

All kidding aside I bet it will be a blast to drive and you won't regret your purchase
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

Hayduke wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:04 pm It goes against the usual Civic/Camry Bogleheads-approved car recommendations, but I'd say go for it! If you really think you'll get into offroading there's not a better choice out there, except either an older Rubicon so you don't feel as bad about the inevitable body damage, or a side-by-side if trailering a rig to the trails is an option for you.

MPG is bad on a Jeep, but that's not why you're buying it. Big tires, good ground clearance, good visibility, and no silly aerodynamic chin spoilers to get torn off all come at a cost. Drive one of your other vehicles on road trips or when your Jeep is getting some trail damage fixed.

Stickshift is a lot of fun and provides a more engaging driving experience, but the reality is that it can be tough to feather the throttle, clutch, and brake all at the same time in technical situations. If you're truly rock crawling as opposed to tooling around on some forest service trails or a beach an automatic can make your life easier. The crawl ratio on the manual is 84:1 and 77:1 on the auto, so the gearing doesn't favor the manual as much as in the past.

If you're worried about wind noise or leaks, you might consider the hard top. You can still remove the top/doors/windshield if you want the open air experience.

The 3.6 Pentastar is a proven engine, if not a little unexciting. I wouldn't get the diesel unless you already know you want a diesel and are willing to deal with modern diesel emissions. The 392 Hemi would also be a lot of fun...

Jeep critics love to point out old Chrysler reliability scores. My experience is that yes minor electronics and luxury type stuff might be problematic, however Jeep drivetrains are far more robust than your average vehicle and are better situated to take the type of abuse you're considering subjecting it to than your average crossover SUV.

Figure out how to use the lockers and the right air pressure for your tires and the vehicle won't be what holds you back from getting through a trail.
Manual transmission stays engaged in 1st gear in 4-low. No need to shift gears. Won't stall. However, 4-low is intended for low speed settings (rock crawling, climbing, etc.).
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

For what you want the vehicle to do, the Jeep Rubicon will do it. Automatic transmission is the way to go these days for offroading...others will tell you different. Test yourself. Test drive a stick and find the steepest street or ramp in town. Stop mid way up the hill, then try to get going again. If you roll back more than 4-6" or need to slip the clutch, figure on getting an automatic.

The drivetrain on the Rubicon is well integrated and worth the extra money. It would be hard and expensive to use aftermarket parts to get Rubicon performance from a non Rubicon model.

Have fun and learn "The Wave".