Help, anyone else use OneDrive?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
montanagirl

Help, anyone else use OneDrive?

Post by montanagirl »

This thing drives me crazy. MS touted it as cloud backup but it seems to jack with all my files.

Today I woke up to find that a folder with the latest versions of a 300 page novel was totally gone. I was keeping main copy on it with subfolders of prior versions and accessing from diff devices. I thought it was working out good.

But now sync has wiped it out. What is the secret to this thing? What are the criteria for removing a folder?

MS wants to charge $39 for remote access.😬
bloom2708

Re: Help, anyone else use OneDrive?

Post by bloom2708 »

Log on to Onedrive.com and check your Trash folder.

Files that are deleted are not deleted right away.

It is not a backup. It is a sync/mirror service. If you delete from PC A, it "syncs" PC B to that same action.
R-Man

Post by R-Man »

Yep. Been using for several years. No issues so far.. Paying $2/month automatic credit card charge... Maybe I got the rate from years ago. Seem to backup instantly whenever I save something. Recently transferred to a new PC and it did not miss a beat. You might try some MS forum and get better answers there on the problem.
If an idea did not arrive in a person's mind via logic, it cannot be changed by logic.
LongRoad

Post by LongRoad »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:55 pm Log on to Onedrive.com and check your Trash folder.

It is not a backup. It is a sync/mirror service. If you delete from PC A, it "syncs" PC B to that same action.
This. The Trash folder may show up as a 'Recycle bin' link in the left navigation.

If the Recycle bin is empty (or these files aren't there), the other thing that can happen occasionally is for a folder in the locally synced OneDrive location to be accidentally moved within File Explorer (assuming Windows 10). In this case, a search for the missing document title might help.
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:55 pm Log on to Onedrive.com and check your Trash folder.

MS called it a backup but I know what you're saying.

What I'd really like is non syncing cloud storage for manual backups. Besides my two external drives.

EDIT: Okay, I found it. Somehow I dragged off under another folder. Have no idea when or how that happened, mea culpa.

But it reminds me what I don't like about OD. Usually if you drag and drop a file to an external or different virtual drive, it just copies it. But if I drag and drop something to onedrive or from onedrive, the whole thing just moves.

I would like to just be able to drag and drop newer versions to a cloud drive without losing it locally.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

I use Onedrive both for syncing and for plain old backups. Basically created a backup folder structure, and set it to not sync. Will look specifically how I did that...

I put the phrase "No sync" in the folder names for those as a reminder to myself.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Let us know the novel when it's released. Maybe you should mention bogleheads in the credits? Good luck with your writing!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Sorry, I don't use OneDrive.
Assuming you can recover your information, you might want to switch to
another service.

Though I have access to OneDrive, I use Box for work, and Google Docs for personal.
Google Docs is even available on my Android phone.
GuayaquilEcu

Post by GuayaquilEcu »

Long time Windows user when you click a file in the same drive or your documents you can easily drop it in another location it happened to me quit a few time this is not a new feature or bug it was designed to not make copies. they implemented it similarly in One drive ( I jumped on it with $99 family plan for office 365) .

I like one drive much better than Google Drive in the sense you can literally keep 1 TB on cloud but just access them only when you need it really nice feature.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

montanagirl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm [...]
But it reminds me what I don't like about OD. Usually if you drag and drop a file to an external or different virtual drive, it just copies it. But if I drag and drop something to onedrive or from onedrive, the whole thing just moves.
[...]
I don't know what you mean by "usually," but in Windows Explorer, if I drag and drop a file into a different directory, the file is moved not copied.

This behaviour applies whether within the C drive or to an attached backup hard drive.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

This is what iTunes does, if I am not mistaken, which is why I've always been tremendously scared of using it for anything - and I always copy my iPhone photos to local hard drive before ever messing with iTunes!
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

an_asker wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:02 pm
montanagirl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm [...]
[...]
I don't know what you mean by "usually," but in Windows Explorer, if I drag and drop a file into a different directory, the file is moved not copied.

This behaviour applies whether within the C drive or to an attached backup hard drive.
Yes but to an external or different virtual drive it is copied.

I think of onedrive as external.

I used Box at my old job and that was more to my liking.
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

To avoid confusion I right click on whatever item(s) I want to move/copy selecting the desired action (copy or cut) and then right click and paste into the destination.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

I did something like this to create non-syncing folders:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... n-us&ad=us

Not quite sure this is what I did, but similar at least.