10+ year old used cars?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
phxjcc

Re: 10+ year old used cars?

Post by phxjcc »

jco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am What is the maximum age of a used car you would consider and why?

Historically, we've purchased Hondas and Toyotas that are about 10 years old and 100,000 miles. We've put nearly 170,000 miles on our 1999 Toyota Camry that we bought 13 years ago with 106,000 miles. The Camry still runs really well, but it has recently started leaking oil, and more concerning, transmission fluid, at a steady rate. We'd like to replace our Camry with another smallish car (probably a Honda Civic, Accord, CRV; Toyota Corolla, Camry, or RAV4; Subaru Imprezza, Forester, Legacy, or Outback). We have about $13,000 to spend, so a close to new car is probably not workable unless we go with a (generally) less reliable brand.

Sometimes you can find a solid deal on an older car with really low miles. E.g., a 2001 Subaru Forester with 50,000 miles for $9,000. However, a car like this makes me nervous because one of the issues with older cars is that the seals start to wear it, and that's not a simple fix. The engine may be in great working order but have seals that will soon start leaking.

So to repeat my original question in a slightly more specific way, would you generally consider purchasing a low mileage vehicle that was more than 10 years old? If so, what are your limits? What are your personal experiences in this regard?
35 years.
I want ABS.

1999 TRUCK, 175,000 miles; drive it everywhere.
Including 16 hour runs from LAX to DEN.
Death Valley in summer ; Vail Pass in winter.
25 MPG, old, stinky, loud diesel.
When trucks were trucks and not luxury vehicles.
2010 LX570, 80,000 ditto. Daily Driver at the beach.
2007 S65, 60,000. Cruise Missile to go from house to house. I would NOT take it from LAX to DEN. CO SPRINGS to St GEORGE is a lot of nothing. But 6 hours from beach to desert? It feels like nothing. Daily Driver in the Desert.

1980 450SL. 60,000. She scares me driving it amongst the texting soccer mom's in their Escalade s. No ABS, airbags, and your head is bumper height on most new trucks.
Sure looks good though, drives well, feels like a solid iron ingot - made before cost was a consideration.... Inflation adjusted MSRP $165,000.
The "let's go for a drive" car on Sat/Sunday

Whoever is feeding you the SEALS DRY OUT bovine feces....tell them "I can replace a lot of seals for $25,000. Namaste."

OK, in all candor the seals on the truck did dry out on the injectors and caused a major issue. Fix was $550 P&L.
I paid $14.5K for the truck...a new one is $75K.
That's a LOT of seals.
Whipsnap

Post by Whipsnap »

I'd buy a 10+ year old car if it had low miles, though that's about as old as I'd prefer to go. 10 years old and a little over 100K mileage is okay. Main reason is I like to have air bags in a car I drive and the mileage is pretty obvious why. You start to run into mechanical issues if you get much more than 100,000 miles and plan to drive it for a while.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I've been shopping around for a reliable car for occasional use and might drive about 5000 miles total in the next 3 years. There's an 18 year old Accord V6 with 100k miles and a 10 year old Accord 4 cylinder with 260k for around $5k and both look to be in good running condition. Which is a better choice or is there a much better alternative to consider?
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Scatterbrain wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:50 am I own a 2005 Lexus LS that I bought for $10k with ~116k on it. I've put maybe $1500 in repairs over 4 years. Happy with it and plan to keep it until the used electric car market is a little more developed.
I just purchased a one owner 2004 Lexus LS430 with 44,000 miles. Everything works on the vehicle and it has a full regular service history performed at the Lexus dealer. A lot of people consider these one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. With full size luxury sedans out of favor nowadays, these reliable old boats are a fantastic value. MSRP on my particular example was $69,800 in 2004. I purchased it for $11,000 and it was a fair deal for both parties. I totally understand people wanting newer, safer, and probably more reliable vehicles. To a lot of "car people", a 15-20 year old vehicle is nothing to be concerned about. I would not hesitate to drive my new to me 17 year old vehicle anywhere.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

inbox788 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 pm I've been shopping around for a reliable car for occasional use and might drive about 5000 miles total in the next 3 years. There's an 18 year old Accord V6 with 100k miles and a 10 year old Accord 4 cylinder with 260k for around $5k and both look to be in good running condition. Which is a better choice or is there a much better alternative to consider?
I would go with the 10 year old one if it has been taken care of well. Gets you 8 years of safety features. Have your mechanic check it out.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
goonie

Post by goonie »

inbox788 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:08 pm I've been shopping around for a reliable car for occasional use and might drive about 5000 miles total in the next 3 years. There's an 18 year old Accord V6 with 100k miles and a 10 year old Accord 4 cylinder with 260k for around $5k and both look to be in good running condition. Which is a better choice or is there a much better alternative to consider?
I have a 17 year old Accord V6 with 175K miles (2004 model; I'm the original and only owner). My take is that the V6 in this lightweight of a car is kind of awkward unless you're going over 50-60 mph. Over that speed it's fantastic because it doesn't feel like the car is having to work hard. It handles merging, changing lanes, and passing with great ease. However, when going under 50-60 mph, most of the time it feels like you're holding it back and driving like a little old lady. Great for highways but somewhat awkward (and maybe even a little frustrating) for most everything else. Although, if you live in the mountains or tow anything on a regular basis, it could have some added benefit there. I guess I should add that the engine still feels really strong and powerful. Granted, I don't ever go above 70-80 mph, so I'm not putting it under a lot of stress.

Reliability wise, it's been decent. No breakdowns (other than the starter dying a few years ago) and no engine or transmission failures. I do keep it well maintained. However, there have been a few big repairs like a couple of oil leaks and the AC system going bad. It's been a bit of a mixed bag but it's also an older car, so...

One thing I've read is that the Accord transmissions from this era have had some issues, especially if the fluid hasn't been changed on a regular basis. So look out for that.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

I think you have to consider the usage. If it's a second car that won't be used much except to go to nearby stores, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car over 10 years old. But if you need it for heavy use, then it's riskier.
Whipsnap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 am I'd buy a 10+ year old car if it had low miles, though that's about as old as I'd prefer to go. 10 years old and a little over 100K mileage is okay. Main reason is I like to have air bags in a car I drive and the mileage is pretty obvious why. You start to run into mechanical issues if you get much more than 100,000 miles and plan to drive it for a while.
Front and side airbags have been mandatory in cars sold in the United States for 23 years.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 am Whoever is feeding you the SEALS DRY OUT bovine feces....tell them "I can replace a lot of seals for $25,000. Namaste."
Seals dry out and sometimes fail even if you'd like to pretend they don't. All rubber/plastic parts deteriorate. Some of them have to be replaced; many of them only have to be replaced if you want the vehicle to behave somewhat close to the way it did when new. That's really what this comes down to, and it's important to some people but not to others. People will say their vehicle is "just like new"... except for the oil drips, grease leaks, wind noise, windows that don't open, mirror that won't stay in place, upholstery tears/cracks, glove box door that flops open on bumps, suspension squeaks, gear whine, cracked windshield, foggy headlight lenses...
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm
phxjcc wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 am Whoever is feeding you the SEALS DRY OUT bovine feces....tell them "I can replace a lot of seals for $25,000. Namaste."
Seals dry out and sometimes fail even if you'd like to pretend they don't. All rubber/plastic parts deteriorate. Some of them have to be replaced; many of them only have to be replaced if you want the vehicle to behave somewhat close to the way it did when new. That's really what this comes down to, and it's important to some people but not to others. People will say their vehicle is "just like new"... except for the oil drips, grease leaks, wind noise, windows that don't open, mirror that won't stay in place, upholstery tears/cracks, glove box door that flops open on bumps, suspension squeaks, gear whine, cracked windshield, foggy headlight lenses...
Do NOT attempt to justify your poor spending decisions by constructing counter factual representations of reality.

If your list of items represents YOUR experience with a "10 year old Vehicle", the cause of your problems may be attributed to its owner.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

phxjcc wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:41 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm
Do NOT attempt to justify your poor spending decisions by constructing counter factual representations of reality.

If your list of items represents YOUR experience with a "10 year old Vehicle", the cause of your problems may be attributed to its owner.
Virtually nothing I mentioned is related to careless use or lack of routine maintenance. If you have the interest, equipment, and ability to d-i-y repairs, you can economically fix most or all of the issues that crop up. If you don't, you can't. I have experience with only about ten ten-plus year-old cars personally so what I'm describing is what happens if you don't repair (this isn't maintenance; it's repair) common issues. That's why I didn't mention things like worn-out brake linings, which are routine maintenance items. Personally I choose to repair some issues, but not others. But I don't pretend 10-year-old cars don't have issues that I have to choose to repair or to ignore.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

5-10 years seems to be a good sweet spot for me.

For cars older than 10 years, keep a spreadsheet handy. I have a rolling list of repairs I need to get through.

I might go as old as 20 years but it has to have a specific nostalgic or vintage vibe (First gen Touareg, Saabs, or Honda S2000).
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

stimulacra wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:51 pm 5-10 years seems to be a good sweet spot for me.
My sweet spot is buying reliable ((Fire/Flame retardant suit is on) Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus) used cars through twolease cycles (IE 6 years) at 65-75% off original MSRP, and I only look at if all service is documented and done per manufacturer recommendations. And insurance/registration is fairly cheap, not to mention avoiding sales tax and all the fees with a new car. Usually, at this point, these lease returns are required to be kept up and have the brakes, tires, battery, spark plugs done recently at that point (which I look for as well). So basically you're getting a car that won't need any planned expensive maintenance for 3 years.
ElJefeDelQueso

Post by ElJefeDelQueso »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 am Personally there is so much safety tech in the 2015 and recent cars that I wouldn't go back much further. I thought it was gimmicky at first too, but I'll never buy another car without cameras and automatic emergency braking.

But your opinion may vary...
+1
novillero

Post by novillero »

Bought a new Prius in October 2005 (2006 model). It is just shy of 280k miles. I’m ready for a new car. It works fine, just a little ding-ed up, but still getting 50 mph in the summer and 45 mph in the winter. I’m just ready for a new car and my commute, when I work in the office is 60 miles away, so I don’t feel like being stranded on the side of the road. So although the car works fine, it’s peace of mind to get a new car. I’ve had no major problems with the Prius, but it’s time to retire the old girl. At 16 years, 280k miles, the car owes me nothing.

But if there are any bogleheads in central Jersey that want a cheap a Prius, message me!
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

jco wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am

So to repeat my original question in a slightly more specific way, would you generally consider purchasing a low mileage vehicle that was more than 10 years old? If so, what are your limits? What are your personal experiences in this regard?
yes i would -- especially for 'around town' driving. (maybe not for a cross country tour...). i'm currently trying to talk my parents into selling me their 2004 Grand Cherokee when they get a new vehicle. They are older and the car hasn't seen much use since COVID and its been well taken care of.

in fact -- some older vehicles are easier / less costly to maintain anyway (less sophisticated tech, etc.)

just have to do the 'due diligence / buyer beware'

-------------------------------------------
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Kagord wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:49 am
stimulacra wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:51 pm 5-10 years seems to be a good sweet spot for me.
My sweet spot is buying reliable ((Fire/Flame retardant suit is on) Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus) used cars through twolease cycles (IE 6 years) at 65-75% off original MSRP, and I only look at if all service is documented and done per manufacturer recommendations. And insurance/registration is fairly cheap, not to mention avoiding sales tax and all the fees with a new car. Usually, at this point, these lease returns are required to be kept up and have the brakes, tires, battery, spark plugs done recently at that point (which I look for as well). So basically you're getting a car that won't need any planned expensive maintenance for 3 years.
Where do you go to purchase cars that have been through two lease cycles? Is it dealer or private party? What's the mileage range you would consider?

Can we run this scenario on two hypothetical cars?

1) 2015 Lexus GS 350, 60,000 miles
2) 2015 Toyota Highlander XLE, 72,000 miles

I'm mainly curious because if the math holds up, I would love to explore this method on my next used car purchase.
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

I would restrict to the current generation. For example I'm in the market to buy a used Honda Odyssey Touring, I'm looking at 2018 or newer since it's the current generation with most of the tech and safety features.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

stimulacra wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:14 pm
Where do you go to purchase cars that have been through two lease cycles? Is it dealer or private party? What's the mileage range you would consider?

I'm mainly curious because if the math holds up, I would love to explore this method on my next used car purchase.
2015 Lexus GSGS 350 Sedan 4D RWD $48,600 MSRP $45,198 Invoice
Mileage: 83,115 20k tradein, 21k PP (KBB)

Target price 12-17k? Not likely

XLE V6 4dr All-wheel Drive 2015 Toyota Highlander Pricing
Retail Price $38,050 MSRP / Window Sticker Price
Mileage: 79,515 $21k tradein, 23k PP

$9.5k to $13.3k, again, not likely

Probably doesn't work with high residual cars like these, but would get closer with those that have depreciated more.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:15 am Personally there is so much safety tech in the 2015 and recent cars that I wouldn't go back much further. I thought it was gimmicky at first too, but I'll never buy another car without cameras and automatic emergency braking.

+1. The sensors detecting pedestrians and collisions to me are very compelling. If they even save me once, where my attention has waned it will be worth every penny. Conversely, if I cheaped out and something happened, I’d look back on the car purchase savings with extreme regret.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

inbox788 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:34 pm
stimulacra wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:14 pm

2015 Lexus GSGS 350 Sedan 4D RWD $48,600 MSRP $45,198 Invoice
Mileage: 83,115 20k tradein, 21k PP (KBB)

Target price 12-17k? Not likely

XLE V6 4dr All-wheel Drive 2015 Toyota Highlander Pricing
Retail Price $38,050 MSRP / Window Sticker Price
Mileage: 79,515 $21k tradein, 23k PP

$9.5k to $13.3k, again, not likely

Probably doesn't work with high residual cars like these, but would get closer with those that have depreciated more.
What would be low residual cars that meets the criteria above or am I being way too unrealistic about mileage?
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

stimulacra wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pmWhat would be low residual cars that meets the criteria above or am I being way too unrealistic about mileage?
Just a random list, but these are probably not the most reliable cars.
https://www.autoblog.com/photos/photos- ... test/list/

An edmunds site says the 2.0T Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD Starting MSRP $50,450

2015 Audi A62.0T Premium Plus Sedan 4D
Mileage: 76,180 $15k tradein $17k PP

65-75% off MSRP $50k is $12.5k to $17.5k

Mercedes, Cadillac, Volvo, Chrysler, Fiat might be ones to look more depreciation, but potentially more problems depending on model, inspection and luck.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Where are you finding used cars like these. Dealers? If private party are they listed on certain websites, or is everything on facebook these days? :twisted:

I'm probably going to be looking for a car soon so curious. Every time I start to look the prices scare me away.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

inbox788 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm
stimulacra wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:42 pmWhat would be low residual cars that meets the criteria above or am I being way too unrealistic about mileage?
Just a random list, but these are probably not the most reliable cars.
https://www.autoblog.com/photos/photos- ... test/list/

An edmunds site says the 2.0T Premium Plus quattro 4dr Sedan AWD Starting MSRP $50,450

2015 Audi A62.0T Premium Plus Sedan 4D
Mileage: 76,180 $15k tradein $17k PP

65-75% off MSRP $50k is $12.5k to $17.5k

Mercedes, Cadillac, Volvo, Chrysler, Fiat might be ones to look more depreciation, but potentially more problems depending on model, inspection and luck.
Well yes… but Kagord explicitly stated that 6-year old Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus and Acuras can be had for 65%-75% off original MSRP. I wanted some elaboration on models, mileage, and whether this was private party, wholesale auction, or dealer.

I'm familiar with out-of-warranty German cars ;)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

stimulacra wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 amWell yes… but Kagord explicitly stated that 6-year old Hondas, Toyotas, Lexus and Acuras can be had for 65%-75% off original MSRP. I wanted some elaboration on models, mileage, and whether this was private party, wholesale auction, or dealer.

I'm familiar with out-of-warranty German cars ;)
Yeah, when I first read it, it sounded like he found them before, and more than one, and even regularly, but to me they're unicorns. I just re-read it and it's my sweetspot too, but I've never hit it, just like I can't hit the sweetspot in my tennis racket, and I'm lucky to hit the ball at all.

Camry's were starting to get there because of the heavy fleet leasing and consumers moving to SUVs, but lately used cars prices have shot up. Maybe it has something to do with all city folks moving to the suburbs.

Millennials and Gen Z are fleeing cities and buying up homes in the suburbs amid the coronavirus pandemic
https://www.businessinsider.com/millenn ... ic-2020-11

OT, but I think that trend is going to set back all a lot of other efforts to reduce our carbon footprint.

Suburban sprawl cancels carbon-footprint savings of dense urban cores
https://news.berkeley.edu/2014/01/06/su ... ban-cores/

Study finds that suburban sprawl cancels carbon-footprint savings of dense urban cores in US
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/0 ... ammen.html

Anyway, if you believe some of the cognoscente, there are reliable gems among the overall unreliable reputation brands. And MDX seems to have gone the opposite way, and I've been spotting some older low priced ones, which makes me ask, what do these sellers know that I don't.

The 2000's had transmission problems, but 2010's? Ah, looks like 2014 wan't a good year. Anyway, I've seen some on craigslist around 10 year old for 10k, but haven't followed up, so they might be scams, accidents, or other unlisted problems.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/older-acur ... n-problem/

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/dont-buy-a ... look-good/
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

mrspock wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:38 pm

+1. The sensors detecting pedestrians and collisions to me are very compelling. If they even save me once, where my attention has waned it will be worth every penny. Conversely, if I cheaped out and something happened, I’d look back on the car purchase savings with extreme regret.
It’s really weird that your reaction after the wreck would be to look back on your car purchases and the safety features you would have missed.

First thing before you get behind the wheel is to evaluate whether you’re in condition to operate a moving vehicle safely. If not, use uber or lift. There are many options nowadays that you don’t have to drive if you’re under influence, sleepy, or otherwise cannot drive safely.
Time is the ultimate currency.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

H-Town wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

It’s really weird that your reaction after the wreck would be to look back on your car purchases and the safety features you would have missed.

First thing before you get behind the wheel is to evaluate whether you’re in condition to operate a moving vehicle safely. If not, use uber or lift. There are many options nowadays that you don’t have to drive if you’re under influence, sleepy, or otherwise cannot drive safely.
It’s natural to examine your mistakes and learn from them.

Not everyone is perfect as you are I guess. I recognize I’m fallible and having technology there as a backup seems pretty reasonable. And ya, I’m sure the guy who’s been driving for 8 hours straight, with a completely unknown driving history is going to be super on the ball vs myself. Sounds like a great plan.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

mrspock wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:09 pm
H-Town wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:59 pm

It’s natural to examine your mistakes and learn from them.

Not everyone is perfect as you are I guess. I recognize I’m fallible and having technology there as a backup seems pretty reasonable. And ya, I’m sure the guy who’s been driving for 8 hours straight, with a completely unknown driving history is going to be super on the ball vs myself. Sounds like a great plan.
No one is perfect. And I hope no one will be in the position to find out that faulty system, combined with driver’s lack of attention, is the reason of an accident. I have a 2012 car so it doesn’t have those safety techs. My wife’s car has the full suite of safety tech. With my real life experience driving both cars, I don’t find safety techs providing any material difference in avoiding an accident. What I’m trying to say is to not overly rely on those safety techs. Be alert, drive defensively, and pay attention to your surrounding has always been a good rule of thumb to avoid accident.
Time is the ultimate currency.
Galt guy

Post by Galt guy »

If it’s what you can afford, then go for it! A Toyota or Lexus would be a good buy. If you can afford it, I would probably look at cars from 2013-2015, though, due to safety and technology improvements.