shiplap for bathroom accent wall (what type of board?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

shiplap for bathroom accent wall (what type of board?)

Post by A440 »

We would like to install shiplap as an accent wall in our bathroom as part of an upcoming remodel. Is there one type of board we should consider over another for a high moisture room (pine, cedar, PVC, MDF, AZEK)? We are leaning towards wood boards for the look, but would consider an alternative if wood is not a good option. The the boards will be installed in a 6' section of wall above the backsplash of the vanity.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
terran

Re: shiplap for bathroom accent wall (what type of board?)

Post by terran »

Definitely not MDF (it swells easily when exposed to moisture). Cedar has natural rot resistance (which is why it's used for outside applications) -- it does have a pretty pungent smell which some people like and others don't. I can't imagine manmade products made for outdoor applications like PVC and AZEK would have any problem. Pine should be fine too I would think, just don't let it get/stay wet from direct contact. If you're painting it that would also reduce concerns, although I'd still never use MDF in a bathroom if I could help it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Assuming you are painting or finishing the wood, any will do. If you aren't finishing the wood in some manner, I would go with something like Cedar which is rot resistant or synthetic.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

I would not do any wood in a bathroom, especially not behind the vanity where it can get wet. To me, wood in a bathroom is like carpet in a bathroom. I recently renovated a bathroom and tiled the entire wall that has the vanity from floor to ceiling. Love it. No need for a backsplash, less nooks and crannies for dust and dirt and mold to accumulate. Probably will never have to renovate this bathroom again.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JS-Elcano wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 pm I would not do any wood in a bathroom, especially not behind the vanity where it can get wet.
And yet, nearly every bathroom vanity I have seen is made of wood along with most window/door trim and most hold up well with time. The caveat is that they have finish on the side exposed to moisture.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

If you want a rustic or authentic vibe, consider using some old shipping pallets. That wood usually has a lot of “character” to it.

I wouldn’t worry about wood in the bathroom. My vanity, trim, bead board is all wood, and it dies just fine.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:37 pm
JS-Elcano wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 pm I would not do any wood in a bathroom, especially not behind the vanity where it can get wet.
And yet, nearly every bathroom vanity I have seen is made of wood along with most window/door trim and most hold up well with time. The caveat is that they have finish on the side exposed to moisture.
Agreed, how the wood surface is treated is essential if there must be any wood in a bathroom. Even though I don't like wood in a bathroom, I think it would be silly to change out a door frame, lol. You are also right in that it is near impossible to find a vanity that is not made of wood somehowere somehow. Mine is made of engineered wood and has a white laquer finish, which is impervious to water. Very different to a wood stain or paint that are often applied to only parts of the vanity and decay over time. I have alumimum windows so, no wood there either.

I just think wood is the highest maintenance material in a high humidity location like a bathroom (short of carpet and wall paper :oops: )
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If you have any concern about wood in the bathroom, you could use a tile that mimics the look of wood planks to create a shiplap effect.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

If your going to use pine, and it has knots you want to seal it with bullseye sealer. But not too much as it will cause the knots to be raised. Two coats with a foam brush are perfect. We just did two of our bedroom walls in knotty pine, not ship lap but tongue and groove. After we sealed we used a cabinet grade roller to put on three coats of white.
If your going to use it in the bathroom make sure you give your self at least a 1/4'' on each side of the board for expansion.
Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 »

Good ideas.
Thank you!
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.