Flooring decisions for whole house - tile vs laminate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tigermilk

Flooring decisions for whole house - tile vs laminate

Post by tigermilk »

We are going to change out our flooring from a mix of original builder tile (entry, kitchen, baths, utility), engineered wood, and carpet. We are trying to decide between tile (likely Daltile or Marazzi) or laminate (Mohawk Revwood Plus). If we go with laminate, we would likely put tile in the guest bathroom and master toilet closet. Laminate would be in all other locations (including kitchen).

We are in the midst of renovating our kitchen. We had a dishwasher leak that ruined the lower cabinets. While new kitchen coming in, including a Miele dishwasher that supposedly has no leak paths other than the hose (previous Whirlpool leaked at the sump, insurance determined manufacturer defect and is pursuing Whirlpool). So we should be good. But we also recently had a small toilet leak, pushing us to keep tile around the toilets. But the Revwood Plus is supposed to be water resistant from above and suitable for wet locations.

Factors in making a decision

1) feel - cold and hard tile is no fun, so laminate wins out here
2) looks - we are going with wood look, so really the only discriminator here is that tile will have at least a 1/8 inch or so grout line. Wife would prefer as thin as possible to no line (Laminate better for this)
3) durability - clear tile wins out, but should there be level issues in our slab or a future foundation issue, tile could have an issue
4) cost - laminate is about 15% cheaper
5) time to install - laminate is quicker, though any solution will be phased. We will be renovating bathrooms as well, but that will be later this year. Fortunately the house is essentially separated by a single walkway providing a natural temporary breakpoint
6) resale value
7) sound - we have 3 dogs so tlaminate will sound worse with those click clacky nails, but tile will be worse for other sounds due to the hardness

We would be interest in others who faced this decision or those who have had Revwood Plus for a few years.
meebers

Re: Flooring decisions for whole house - tile vs laminate

Post by meebers »

Just a short point. Over a year or so, I replaced the carpet in bedrooms with laminate. The last one I did, I used 12mm, nearly quiet compared to the 8, 9 mm one's I used previous. Live and learn. :shock:
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Did you give consideration to LVP?

Cheers
Topic Author
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

Silk McCue wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:17 pm Did you give consideration to LVP?

Cheers
Yes. Plenty of reports out there about fading due to sun. Revwood appears to be the better of the two.
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

You may want to check out this company:

https://www.globalgemflooring.com/wp-co ... it_2_1.pdf

They are using SPC which is the third and latest generation of waterproof flooring.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

The thing about tile and grout is that the grout is a pain to keep clean.

Swishing across the floor in socks also more fun without grout lines, but that isn't on your priority list...
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I'm not a designer but I do follow a lot of decorating and design blogs. My impression is that tile isn't very popular anymore. If you go with laminate use a high grade. I've seen way too many laminates that look like really cheap plastic.
Mary
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

My brother's fancy house is ALL tile downstairs. (Carpet upstairs.) Cold, noisy and hard on the legs and feet when you are preparing a holiday meal in the kitchen -- for hours. And if you drop a glass or dish, odds are very much against it surviving.

In my house I have LVP (large, square tiles) in the un-carpeted areas. Looks like slate but softer and warmer. Much quieter and easy on the lower extremities.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Neither.

Look for a high quality "Luxury Vinyl" plank (or tile, but you indicate you prefer the wood look).
These products have come a LONG way in the last few years. The floating click versions are even being installed in high end commercial office buildings. These products will let you put the same product throughout the house, giving it more uniformity and making is seem larger.

Tile is definitely out - people don't like it as it is hard, grout is difficult to clean, can be slippery when wet, and is aesthetically "cold" to many. It used to be an option people with pets went for as a durable alternative when hardwoods, carpet, vinyl and tile were the only options. The LVT market put an end to that.

Laminate is exactly that - a plastic laminate over a composite type substrate. The wear layer of the laminate may not last as long as you want, the boards are rigid so it does not conform to variations of the subfloor, if the substrate of the laminate is wood, the laminate is suspectible to water damage, and if it is not a floating product, it is difficult and costly to remove.

LVT is waterproof, pet proof, easy to install as well as easy to remove. It conforms to irregularities/variations of the subfloor, and is often click/lock so easy to remove. Look into it and you will find it wears at least as well as laminate. There is a broad range of quality in LVT - from low end budget to LVT that costs more than real hardwoods.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm

Cheers
Yes. Plenty of reports out there about fading due to sun. Revwood appears to be the better of the two.
Interesting and disappointing to hear. LVT is what I was planning on going with if I ever had to replace floors.

I would not go tile in bedrooms, having lived through a place with tile.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

What do homes for sale in your neighborhood have, especially the homes that are recently remodeled? Get what your neighbors have.

Neither of those would go over here for a whole house. People expect to see tile or stone in kitchen and bath, and wood everywhere else. Maybe laminate in the laundry room or a converted garage. A different neighborhood with different style homes would probably be different.

We have a basement that gets wet occasionally, and my contractor recommended laminate, and said when it gets wet, pull it up, let things dry out, then put it back down.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Lee_WSP wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 pm

Cheers
Interesting and disappointing to hear. LVT is what I was planning on going with if I ever had to replace floors.

The fading issue is not a universal effect. The narrative is pushed by competitors more these days. We have LVP in our NC home and love it. Family here in Florida have it throughout their house as well.

Cheers
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm We are going to change out our flooring from a mix of original builder tile (entry, kitchen, baths, utility), engineered wood, and carpet. We are trying to decide between tile (likely Daltile or Marazzi) or laminate (Mohawk Revwood Plus). If we go with laminate, we would likely put tile in the guest bathroom and master toilet closet. Laminate would be in all other locations (including kitchen).

We are in the midst of renovating our kitchen. We had a dishwasher leak that ruined the lower cabinets. While new kitchen coming in, including a Miele dishwasher that supposedly has no leak paths other than the hose (previous Whirlpool leaked at the sump, insurance determined manufacturer defect and is pursuing Whirlpool). So we should be good. But we also recently had a small toilet leak, pushing us to keep tile around the toilets. But the Revwood Plus is supposed to be water resistant from above and suitable for wet locations.

2) looks - we are going with wood look, so really the only discriminator here is that tile will have at least a 1/8 inch or so grout line. Wife would prefer as thin as possible to no line (Laminate better for this)
3) durability - clear tile wins out, but should there be level issues in our slab or a future foundation issue, tile could have an issue
5) time to install - laminate is quicker, though any solution will be phased. We will be renovating bathrooms as well, but that will be later this year. Fortunately the house is essentially separated by a single walkway providing a natural temporary breakpoint
6) resale value
7) sound - we have 3 dogs so tlaminate will sound worse with those click clacky nails, but tile will be worse for other sounds due to the hardness

We would be interest in others who faced this decision or those who have had Revwood Plus for a few years.
Thoughts and influences:
1. Tile in the kitchen is more water resistant in case of spills, etc.
2. There are styles of tile that have near zero grout lines
3. Do you have an unstable slab or foundation now?
4. Yes. Depending on the tile and laminate, tile can be very expensive.
5. Tile is a lot easier to clean (no gaps) pet "accidents" and more durable, no scratching, etc.

Our home has a mix of tile, laminate, and carpeting. (we've also had pets).
Tile works great in the kitchen and bathroom, laminate in the dining room, carpet elsewhere.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm We would be interest in others who faced this decision or those who have had Revwood Plus for a few years.
I had a house full of laminate when I moved into this house and almost all of it puckered up around the ends of the boards in the kitchen, bathrooms and basements, i.e. any place with moisture. It looked horrible. I've since replaced it with solid hardwoods and tiles and have been much happier. But I googled the Revwood Plus and it has some sort of endgrain seal system advertised so perhaps it might be immune to this occurring.
Panky

Post by Panky »

Cheers

2 Years after redoing 90% of homes flooring to LVT/LVP - no fading, works great with a 50 lbs dog and 2 cats running around.
Multiple pet accidents on it have cleaned up without issue.
Using a robo vac and robo mop combo on it and working great to stay clean and in good condition.

However my parents heated tile floors in their bathrooms is a really nice touch, in hindsight I wish I did that in master bathroom, maybe guest bedroom bathroom too.

And we were cautioned against using the LVP for stair steps, went for actual wood there. Supposedly less fall/slip prone.
SlowInvestor

Post by SlowInvestor »

Installation of laminate/pvp/lvl is a lot more forgiving when compared to tile.

If you choose tile, make sure the installer isn't taking any shortcuts. It will cause headaches down the line.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Cash is King wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:38 pm You may want to check out this company:

https://www.globalgemflooring.com/wp-co ... it_2_1.pdf

They are using SPC which is the third and latest generation of waterproof flooring.
Interesting link. Thank you
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Cheers

Real wood also can be changed by sunlight over time. Mom had a coffee table that faded/blonded over 25 years.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Cheers

Real wood also can be changed by sunlight over time. Mom had a coffee table that faded/blonded over 25 years.
Yes, the sun's rays will damage pretty much anything given enough time. But I'm not in any immediate need of new flooring in any case so I'll just be monitoring the options for new/better information on this issue/non-issue.
Cwise

Post by Cwise »

Flooring will depend a little on the neighborhood. Are your neighbors doing plastic floors? You won't see plastic in the higher end homes. Do larger tiles in bathrooms and wood everywhere else. This is the most appealing IMO.
TonyDAntonio

Post by TonyDAntonio »

We just put lvp in on most of our 1st floor. It's ok. I don't have any wear data as it is just 6 months old. The price was right and it looks fine. We probably would have put it throughout the first floor but the other tiled areas, kitchen, dinette and half bath, are pretty new. Unless it wears horribly it seems like it will be a reasonable floor for a modest house. We have used laminate in our master closet and while it has held up fine (not much use) I don't really like the look of it, even compared to the lvp. I wouldn't put tile everywhere, too hard and cold. Good in wet areas though.

Good luck. Don't sweat it.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Looked into "water resistant" laminates and other floorings when I replaced floors in multiple homes. Have done full LVP throughout and LVP with existing tile left in places like kitchen, bathrooms and entry.

I do not think the concept of water resistant is really sufficient to protect from water damage. For obvious things like a leak from a refrigerator water supply line or a leak from a toilet, water will get between the flooring joints and it will damage the laminate. Water resistance may be fine for a damp cleaning and a spill cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time, but leave water there for any significant time period and I do not see how that will not lead to damage of the base product.

I don't think your fade issues with "modern" LVP is valid. If it's a real risk, I would suspect any laminate is at risk for fading in the right situation. Is there an area that is sun exposed without some window coverings that you have a high concern? LVP has the advantage over standard laminate in that is is through and through waterproof itself. I still think water damage is still possible but much less likely because if significant water gets underneath the LVP, it would damage the subfloor if plywood/OSB and potentially cause mold even if on concrete. However, compared to just water resistant laminate, I don't think the two products compared are in the same ballpark for water damage concerns. LVP is very hard to lay down without creating breaks in the flooring (for example, some have limited runs of 35 ft and/or difficulties connecting some rooms like a bedroom to a hallway without out putting a break and putting a transition molding). You need to check with your installer with LVP and any laminates to ask where and how many breaks/transition molding have to be put in with the install. Since I DIY, I was able to almost eliminate any breaks/transition moldings and create a more seamless look, whereas a professional installation company insisted on many breaks/transitions. It is difficult to get some rooms connected without putting in a transition/molding (tile would be easier there) and my professional estimates would only install with the multiple transitions. LVP or any laminate if it needs to be repaired looks difficult IMO. I would always buy enough extra laminate (or even LVP) and store it in case you had to replace out a water damage area (like a bathroom). FWIW, haven't seen any scratches in LVP from people/dogs over a few years. Also regarding laminates, realize some can click together and then be taken apart, however many once they click together they can be taken apart and then replaced again because the click together mechanism would be damaged (this may have some impact in future repairs).

Tiles pretty much give you more bombproof waterproofing of one's flooring. With the new underlayment products, it allows for small cracks/settling to apparently not damage the tiles. Some like the full tile look throughout and some don't like that look. If you choose to do a tile in water risk areas and laminate adjacent to it, then be careful about the overall height of your tile and the overall height of your laminate. You don't want big elevation differences if you can avoid it. Be aware, in the future, if you choose to remove tile it is a bigger job. However, I suspect with the newer underlayments available, tile removal won't be as tedious as removing tile/adhesive directly off concrete or other subflooring. Always buy extra tiles in case in the future you need to make a repair.
rascott

Post by rascott »

This is both region and taste dependent. I wouldn't personally use tile anywhere other than bathrooms. But in some warm regions (Florida, SW, etc) tile is common and makes sense.

I personally use only real, site finished hardwood flooring outside of bathrooms. A quality hardwood floor will last 100+ years with occasional refinishing. Best for resale as well. But this is dependent upon price point of home.
Tavistock1

Post by Tavistock1 »

tigermilk wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:27 pm We are going to change out our flooring from a mix of original builder tile (entry, kitchen, baths, utility), engineered wood, and carpet. We are trying to decide between tile (likely Daltile or Marazzi) or laminate (Mohawk Revwood Plus). If we go with laminate, we would likely put tile in the guest bathroom and master toilet closet. Laminate would be in all other locations (including kitchen).

6) resale value

My brother has been a custom hardwood flooring contractor for decades. The most preferred laminate he has used is called hartco pattern plus. It is actual hardwood impregnated with a resin- terrific wood look, indestructible . It’s been used in restaurants where the owners didn’t want the hassle of “sand and finished “ products. It may or may not still be available but may be worth a look.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm Real wood also can be changed by sunlight over time. Mom had a coffee table that faded/blonded over 25 years.
The big advantage I have seen is that I have cleaned and sanded 100 year old wood floors and they look brand new. LVT hasn't been around that long and when they fade, there is no fixing.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm Real wood also can be changed by sunlight over time. Mom had a coffee table that faded/blonded over 25 years.
The big advantage I have seen is that I have cleaned and sanded 100 year old wood floors and they look brand new. LVT hasn't been around that long and when they fade, there is no fixing.
Fair enough. I just remembered my co-worker whose wooden floor was partially ruined by a broken dishwasher leaking. The boards warped and did not straighten.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 pm
Fair enough. I just remembered my co-worker whose wooden floor was partially ruined by a broken dishwasher leaking. The boards warped and did not straighten.
Water will damage most any flooring in that situation... other than possibly tile. Great thing about standard hardwood floors (white oak, for example) is you can replace the offending boards and then sand/ finish them to match. Not as easy to do with other products unless you have kept an excess of the material on hand.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

Not talking about bathrooms, which should be tiled, but...

We’ve had one house all laminate wood-look flooring, including kitchen.

Current house is laminate on ground floor living areas and kitchen, carpet in upstairs bedrooms.

1. I will never again have laminate floors, especially in the kitchen.
2. No matter what they say laminate will be affected by moisture, along the seams of the boards. They get grotty and stained along areas where moisture happens - entryway, sliding doors to patio, kitchen ( think splashing from sink area), at the cat’s water bowl, etc.
3. In living areas, in future we will get tile, something that is Matt finish with a bit of warmth, probably dark to hide dirt. Something slate-like but ceramic tile. We will probably throw a rug underfoot in lounge room to avoid the cold feel, and if open plan use subtle shade changes to define spaces better.
4. Bedrooms will be a toss up between laminate and carpet, but leaning towards carpet.

We’ve started saving to replace the laminate in our 1 year old house...
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We've had both laminate and ceramic/porcelain tile in various homes, and I would never choose laminate again. Its water resistance is poor; unless surface water is dried in fairly short order, the seams will swell up permanently. Almost any water getting under it will ruin it. And tile is far more durable.
The Sensible Steward
Topic Author
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:48 am We've had both laminate and ceramic/porcelain tile in various homes, and I would never choose laminate again. Its water resistance is poor; unless surface water is dried in fairly short order, the seams will swell up permanently. Almost any water getting under it will ruin it. And tile is far more durable.
We are looking specifically at Revwood Plus, which is supposed to remove all those issues. Keyword is "supposed". I have seen a few videos where the product is sub,edged in water for days with no detrimental effect.

It is a shame that when you spend the cost of a car on flooring that the quality isn t there. And that is if it's wood, tile, laminate, vinyl, ...
HeartinAK

Post by HeartinAK »

We have both LVP and laminate. I will not do laminate again and love the LVP. We live in an extremely wet environment and our 3 dogs are constantly coming in and tracking wet inside. Guests comment all the time that they cannot believe how nice our floors look. I love how they are much more comfortable than our laminate.
IMO

Post by IMO »

tigermilk wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:01 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:48 am We've had both laminate and ceramic/porcelain tile in various homes, and I would never choose laminate again. Its water resistance is poor; unless surface water is dried in fairly short order, the seams will swell up permanently. Almost any water getting under it will ruin it. And tile is far more durable.
We are looking specifically at Revwood Plus, which is supposed to remove all those issues. Keyword is "supposed". I have seen a few videos where the product is sub,edged in water for days with no detrimental effect.

It is a shame that when you spend the cost of a car on flooring that the quality isn t there. And that is if it's wood, tile, laminate, vinyl, ...
OP, I do think products are continually improving. Ultimately, one needs to determine if one feels that the product if exposed to water that was able to seep underneath the laminate that the product won't start to sustain damage.

Here's a water test of Revwood Plus. It did pretty good, but as he noted there was problems with seam after extended water exposure. In this case, it was able to be dried out and recover, but one must question intruded water would really be able to dry itself out in a quick enough time so as to not cause long term damage. An example of an area of concern is around the toilet waste pipe. One will put silicone around that gap, but should that have any failure in that seal, along with a slow perhaps not readily noticeable leak around the toilet gasket, and I would suspect the product would be damaged. Similar areas of concern include around the bath tub, near sinks, dishwashers, sliding doors, etc.
Here's the test video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dFe20uYQY

And here's the warranty:
The Limited Lifetime and 10-Year Waterproof Flooring System warranties do not apply to damage caused by events beyond
everyday household spills, including but not limited to flooding, standing water, leaking pipes, mechanical, failures or
appliance leaks.

What I'm not understanding is that this product is a laminate. It really isn't that much different than LVP laminate products with the one exception: LVP products have a base product that is 100% waterproof vs. water resistant. I could take a piece of LVP and leave it in a bucket of water for a month and it will still come out the same and I don't think the product your interested in would fare as well. I honestly do not see how there is any fade resistance difference between RevWood Plus and another good quality LVP laminate.

I don't have any vested interest in LVP companies (that I know of). However, when it comes to what many feel is the ultimate test of products (rental properties), most people I've known who own rental properties like myself would rather have LVP than another water resistant laminate because the risk of water exposure is higher typical with a rental when the occupant is without vested interest in the home.