Gardening 2021

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elsebet

Re: Gardening 2021

Post by Elsebet »

We've been busy this year in our new home.

Built 9 raised bed boxes out of pallets that my husband brought home from the trash pile at work.
Purchased truckloads of screened dirt + compost from the local city recycling center for those boxes
Planted 24 spruce trees around the property to fill in gaps
Planted 1 honeycrisp apple and 1 plum tree and fenced both since the deer browsed them already
Planted 5 red oak trees for wildlife, used tree tubes for the first time on those since deer are a major issue here in PA
Built a 3 stall composter for the fall leaf bounty, again out of discarded pallets; hoping to make leaf compost for next year
The previous owner left two nice 10 ft poles so we built and put in clothesline pole next to the garden boxes so I can hang laundry and garden

In the raised beds we have:

1 full of 10 asparagus crowns that will take a few years to produce
2 with my tomato seedlings mixed with green/jalapeno peppers, one of those also has 2 zucchini
1 with cucumbers and sugar pumpkins with a trellis
1 with 6 sungold cherry tomato plants I had to buy at a nearby nursery since my cherry tomato seedlings did not sprout
4 are empty for this year since we built/filled them late - I may try some lettuce in the fall

I'm always filled with a sense of wonder at how the little tiny seed I started so long ago in the dreary short March days are now huge plants enjoying the summer sun.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

peppers wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:48 am It's time

Started my pepper plants inside with 3 trays of Italian and Jalapeno pepper seeds. The plants are roughly 2" in height. Planning out where to put them when the weather breaks to the upside.

Gardeners, feel free to jump in.
This topic is too advanced for me. I'm Mr. Brown Thumbs. I need Gardening 101!!
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Built our first raised bed using 'lego' bricks which made it a snap:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog ... arden-bed/

Planting tomato, pickling cucumber, and herbs - with marigolds bordering on the inside and across the middle of the raised bed to hopefully divert wayward pests.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Our three gardens are in full throttle mode at this time.

We have been eating spinach and lettuce for 6 weeks. Some of which was over-winter. Other was planted in a box with a window in March (my version of a "hot box"). Also eating asparagus and radishes. The first sugar snap peas were harvested yesterday and used in mushroom risotto for dinner.

Planted and growing quite well:
Leeks, yellow, white, and red storage onions; shallots, carrots, brussel sprouts, cauliflower (first small head about size of a quarter was noticed today), broccoli, potato (reds, russets, and Yukon Golds), sweet potato, popcorn, pole beans, bell and lunchbox peppers, banana peppers, garlic (starting to bloom), spaghetti squash, cucumbers, pole beans, Roma tomato (from seed this winter), Hybred slicing tomato (also from seed).

Plenty of herbs, both planted and also repeating.

It should be a good year. The weather has been cooperative except it is dry. Watering about 3x week. This week it is forecast to rain several days in a row.

Ed
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

No gardening this year, living vicariously through you all and my grand parents, on the account of my move getting delayed. I wish you large yields, and good luck. 👍
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Bonanza77 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:46 pm I decided to start a vegetable garden for the first time this year. I have four young kids and figured it would be a good project for all of us to spend time outside together. I read a bunch of books on related topics. A couple of days ago, I installed six 4' x 4' cypress wood raised beds, 16" deep, and had the soil/compost/manure mixture that I settled on delivered and placed in the beds. All of the materials arrived later than I wanted, so we're not getting to plant as early as hoped...nevertheless, everything seemed to be in order. Now, I'm afraid the project is completely ruined.

In my zeal to have the already-rot-resistant cypress wood last even longer, I decided to seal it. Some brief googling revealed linseed oil to be a safe, non-toxic alternative. I go to Home Depot. I search for linseed oil. I find it. I buy it. It took 6-7 hours to stain all the wood.

Today, I found out that the "boiled linseed oil" product I purchased is not just linseed oil that's been heated--it's linseed oil adulterated with certain chemicals to help speed the drying process. The specific drying agent in the product I used is "cobalt manganese salt." Cobalt manganese salt is not safe and harmless, but I can't find a good answer on whether or not this is going to be a problem. I can't determine if there is a risk of this product leeching from the wood to the soil to the vegetables and, if so, if the concentrations would be high enough to be concerning. If this situation is concerning, can I get the soil tested periodically to check for safety and, if so, what should I test it for? Cobalt and manganese, individually, or the cobalt manganese salt, specifically? This project has taken so much time, effort, and money--I am beyond irritated with myself that I may have ruined it completely by using the wrong product.

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't really even know what kind of professional would know the answer to this.
Hey! My pap is a carpenter/gardener his whole life. He said there is a preservative on the market that does what you were looking for without damaging the crops, he didn’t know the name off hand.

As for your situation best not to risk contamination. If you wanted to, you could line the inside of the boxes with barrier between the soil and the wood. I think we use landscaping black plastic, however it would need replaced every year, and you don’t want it exposed to the sun at all. It also will need good drainage at the bottom (drill a few holes.) Just check the label to make sure you can use it with veggies, or consult someone working at the store to double check.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 am … I also have a section where chives are continuing from last year. …
If the chives are in the ground (versus a pot), be careful the flowers don’t go to seed causing the chives to overtake your garden. You may already be aware of this but thought I’d mention it as I have been spending a lot of time digging out chive seedlings (and putting newspaper under the mulch to choke the seedlings I miss) from my garden this spring!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Actually, they've already taken over a section of the garden. I like the purple flowers.

I did harvest a few leaves for cooking.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
eob616

Post by eob616 »

Zone 7a. New raised garden beds were all filled and look awesome, but my spring crops were mostly a letdown. The peas seemed to get hit by wilt. I also took some cheap soil tests via a home kit (the kind you buy with the capsules and match colors to a rough scale) and it looked like my soil was very nitrogen deficient. I'm not sure that makes much sense, given the materials I used to fill the beds, but I've dutifully amended with blood meal and more compost/manure for the summer. I'm also experimenting with a root soak treatment to combat wilt.

Now: tomatoes and eggplants are doing...okayish. I was late getting them in and my seedlings didn't get very strong indoors. I'm going to try trellising up the tomatoes this year onto bamboo stakes, versus the flimsy cages.

Also have planted peppers, cucumbers, swiss chard, butternut squash, zucchini, herbs, and will keep filling in with bush beans, greens, etc., as I keep sowing. The annual and perennial flowers that I tried to start indoors also kind of plateaued growth at some point, and I'm not sure they'll survive having been transplanted, so I need to throw in some more seeds this weekend.

This is my first year using a bale of alfalfa hay as mulch and I'm very pleased. No problems with weed seeds.

I'm throwing the kitchen sink at the squash and zucchini this year to try to fight off squash vine borers: companion planting with marigold, nasturtium, radish and cilantro that I'll let go to seed, AND a bit of cedar shaving mulch around the perimeter of just those plants. May try foil collars, too, but they didn't do much last year. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Last year I had a (pandemic) focus on my backyard. This year, I'm trying to maintain the garden that I achieved last year while upgrading the front yard.

I bought two Miracle Gro raised cedar boxes, that are easy to put together in whatever shape you want so long as it uses straight lines or right angles. Voila, I have terraced my short hill in the front yard. Then I bought soaker hoses. The old ones that I used to buy were reliable, but the ones I bought last year have miniature fountains and leaky connections. I'm trying a different variety - "flat" soaker hoses that are some sort of fabric - with better but not perfect results.

New perennials in the front yard that seem to be settling in. Gallardia, Ice Plants and Agastache, with dahlias (won't survive our winter).

Drought conditions - the sun-exposed grass in the backyard is getting brown.

Tomatoes are doing quite well, except the one that got a whiff of WeedBGone. Oops. I've had a good crop of snow peas, but the heat is getting them. I've had lettuce that I started indoors - doing well, but the heat is putting an end to that too. Trying beets for the first time. A raised flower bed behind the garage now has onions and potatoes growing in it.

Squirrels have planted the peanuts that my neighbor feeds them. I can now recognize a peanut plant. Grr. Thought I had a gopher earlier this year. Grrrr.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Bump this thread up and ask for updates.

Here in NW Indiana (zone 5) we have had a few days of heavy rain, heat, and high humidity. No lawn mowing for over 10 days, now it will be back on regular rotation (due to lack of rain earlier in the month).

The spinach is past and we are allowing the asparagus to go to seed.

Right now the lettuce (Simpson Elite and Buttercrunch) are both producing heavy. I am cutting off and it is growing back. I really like the Simpson Elite...nice texture and slow to bolt.

Sugar Snap peas have really been heavy producers with a tendancy to slow production down somewhat...still blooming.

Kale and broccoli are producing.

While not producing yet, the pole beans are rapidly climbing. Potatoes are blooming. I have mounded a couple of times.

Garlic is producing scapes which we are eating...DW also cut up and placed around flowers, hopefully to keep the deer and chipmunks at bay. Onions are really looking strong....red, yellow, white, and leeks. Probably a month away from harvest.

Tomatoes looking great. Roma are showing small fruits.

Popcorn is about 24 inches tall...growing by the day. Peppers starting to show accelerated growth and forming fruit. Hopefully the plans will support.

Everything else is growing quite well and anticipating a strong year.

Herbs producing quite well.

Ed
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 am I'm very late to this thread. My 2021 garden is very much different than 2020.

Instead of starting from seed, I picked up 4 tomato plants at Home Depot in early May. A few pots had 2 plants together, so I now have 7 plants. Nothing else was planted.

I also have a section where chives are continuing from last year.

Wild strawberries are growing everywhere and I'm eating them as I find them.

Not planted, I'm letting the weeds grow because I like the flowers. It's much easier to maintain a garden this way.

Right now, my tomatoes are experiencing blossom drop. They're flowering, but the blossoms dropped off with nothing to produce. It happened to me last year, but I thought it was due to my well water. So far, the majority of the watering has been natural rain.
Do you know the cause of the blossom drop? High temps, lack of pollination, lack of water?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good timing, as I was just about to give an update. It was the high temperature. A few weeks later, a few tomatoes appeared. Not all of the blossoms produced, as there's still a lot of blossom drop. We're in the middle of a heat wave again, but at least I know what's going on.

Eyeballing what I have, I'd say it's much less than 1/2 of what I think the plants should be producing right now. The unexpected 3 extra plants are helping to fill in the gaps.

As for the rest of the garden, a deer came through a few days ago and chomped on my flowers at the edge of the garden. I was not happy. :annoyed I sprayed the area with an organic deer repellent.

On the plus side, I've been eating the wild strawberries that are growing everywhere on my property. I don't use fertilizer or insecticides, so they're safe to eat. Not much flavor, but it's fresh and homegrown.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

I'm in zone 6B Metro West Boston. Strawberry harvesting is just about done. I have about six gallon bags of berries in my freezer as well as 7 pints of jam. Gave lots of berries away. My raspberries are coming into season. I have 2 different kinds of yellows and 2 reds.

On the veggie side, onions/garlic will be harvested over the next 3-4 weeks. Peppers/tomatoes/potatoes won't be ready for awhile.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I reported yesterday, but need to throw this in.

DW made "kaleslaw" yesterday with chopped kale (instead of cabbage), thin carrot strips, poppy seed dressing, and sunflower seeds. Very tasty. A good use of all that kale growing.

Ed
eob616

Post by eob616 »

7a, DC. I actually harvested a few zucchini for the first time in years but think I caught sight of the first vine borer; will deal with that this weekend after the heat wave breaks. Tomatoes and eggplants are looking pretty healthy, although not a ton of fruit yet. I'm a little worried because the cukes are a little peaky and I don't have any flowers yet. Hoping that's all just because of a relatively late start with planting.

I'm also going bonkers starting perennial flowers indoors in preparation for overwintering. And experimenting with propagating azaleas for no good reason whatsoever.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In addition to food and weeds, my garden has flowers. I have several bunches of Tiger Lillies 4 - 5 feet tall and are just starting to bloom. One of the plant stems broke 1/2 way up and I used a plastic support rod with a couple of cloth ties to make a splint. Hopefully, it'll work.

I also have a few garden areas behind my house. This area has roses on a trellis and a butterfly bush. I didn't know what else was growing, so I assumed they were either weeds or flowers. The flowers bloomed this week and turned into a display of Monarda (bee balm). Interesting, as the garden area where I thought they were in didn't have any.
Topic Author
peppers

Post by peppers »

Update

I transplanted our rosemary into a larger container and it now looks like a small version of a christmas tree.
The Greek basil and oregano are flourishing.
Our jalapeno plants are about 3' high and show no signs of slowing down.
The cucumber vines are staked vertically and are about 8' high. The way they are growing, it looks like I will have to do my best Jack and the beanstalk impression.

My only issue is once again with the San Marzano tomatoes. Like last year, plump, green and....waiting to turn red.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

peppers wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am Update
I bought a couple greek basil starters this year on a whim. Do you use them just like Italian basil or other use?

Went from a sprawling 24 inch high raised bed situation that was not aesthetically pleasing to DW to two taller, smaller and more organized beds made of blocks and an elevated bed from Gardeners.

The block beds are carrots, onions, pumpkin, zucchini, purple cabbage, tomatoes and a little lettuce and kale (2nd planting).
The elevated bed has herbs, lettuce, kale, tomatoes.

Everything is progressing well except the basil plant in the raised bed. Seems like it wants a different home. Too many greens to eat them all so there are lots of handouts for others. I discovered that not everyone likes as much kale as we do :happy
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

peppers wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am My only issue is once again with the San Marzano tomatoes. Like last year, plump, green and....waiting to turn red.
The three red tomatoes that I've had were all San Marzanos that had blossom end rot. Even watering is difficult in my garden any year, but especially this year with severe drought. Blossom end rot was, I think, the problem that I had the last time I tried to grow San Marzanos, and also the problem with Purple Cherokees, Brandywine, and other heirlooms - along with splitting/cracking problems, too.

Still waiting for other tomatoes to ripen!
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

kd2008 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:31 am
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:03 am I'm very late to this thread. My 2021 garden is very much different than 2020.

Instead of starting from seed, I picked up 4 tomato plants at Home Depot in early May. A few pots had 2 plants together, so I now have 7 plants. Nothing else was planted.

I also have a section where chives are continuing from last year.

Wild strawberries are growing everywhere and I'm eating them as I find them.

Not planted, I'm letting the weeds grow because I like the flowers. It's much easier to maintain a garden this way.

Right now, my tomatoes are experiencing blossom drop. They're flowering, but the blossoms dropped off with nothing to produce. It happened to me last year, but I thought it was due to my well water. So far, the majority of the watering has been natural rain.
The blossoms tend to set in 68-77 F weather. Very gently flick with thumb and index finger the main stem on which there are blossoms for 5-10 seconds to self pollinate as they bloom. You could also tap with a back flat part of a toothbrush very gently. Over 90% of my blossoms have pollinated into fruits so far. When there were blossoms and temps were near 50 F or below, I brought my potted tomato plants inside as they won't set in cold temperature.

Is this true with peppers also? I have several different pepper plants and many of the blossoms are not setting fruit. They just fall off.

So I have a mini garden with several different peppers, jalapeno, poblano, cow horn, fresno,. I just love going out and grabbing a couple of peppers, splitting them and plopping in the toaster oven then sprinkling with some cheese and eating that roasted deliciousness while my face burns.

The other side of the garden is mammoth sunflowers which are about seven feet tall now and still growing.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I can't confirm if the technique worked for my tomatoes, as I think the temperature had more to do with it than anything. You can try.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Every day I look up and pray - not for rain, but for a hawk. Lots of baby rabbits this year - they are decimating my perennial and annual garden. I am spraying some choice plants with a repellant; some I have hardware cloth around; even the plants they don't like they bite off the stem and then discard it. My neighbor walks his field before mowing - he has a riding mower, to make sure he doesn't run over them. Well, they were here first, so I make do; I don't care what the neighbors think when they see me, an old man, yelling at them. Fortunately, they ignore the cucumbers, squash and tomato plants. With the rain this week, I'm giving away cucumbers.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Topic Author
peppers

Post by peppers »

WhyNotUs wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:31 am
I bought a couple greek basil starters this year on a whim. Do you use them just like Italian basil or other use?

According to my executive chef, the basil will be used if the recipe calls for it. And there are other times she might put it in on a whim.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

So much rain here lately (zone 5b, Catskills NY). Plants are growing vigorously but am having to monitor for early blight on the tomato plants (have started spraying with copper fungicide). Just finished harvesting the last of the shelling peas (Knight variety, they produce well here). First harvests of Swiss chard, white egg turnips (baby turnips and their greens) and zucchini. Early fruit set on tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers. First Sungold and Sunsugar cherry tomatoes will be picked this week. Have been cutting the first snapdragons and cosmos for bouquets. My beets, seeded in April, all failed; germinated well, then just sat there and failed to grow. I finally just reseeded and the new seedlings are growing well. Potted fig trees are doing great; read a tip to pinch off the growing tips and have decent fruit set for the first time ever.

Squash vine borer is a big problem here and killed my zucchini and yellow crookneck plants, 2 years running. This year I am growing them in straw bales which raises them in height and makes it easier to monitor for egg deposits or larval entry points (new to this technique but it works great!!!) and using floating row covers. I covered them when I planted the starters, and have been hand pollinating each morning. It is a bit of a PITA, but I harvested my first zucchini this week and have more baby zucchini and yellow squash on the vine. So far the plants look very clean, no sign of borer activity. I've read that by about mid-July here it may be safe to remove the row covers but will wait and see.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

Zone 8a, high desert. Haven't had a garden for a few years so I am testing old seeds to see if they germinate. If they do I am growing for seed saving rather than eating. If they don't they go in the trash.
eob616

Post by eob616 »

sevenseas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:40 pm Squash vine borer is a big problem here and killed my zucchini and yellow crookneck plants, 2 years running. This year I am growing them in straw bales which raises them in height and makes it easier to monitor for egg deposits or larval entry points (new to this technique but it works great!!!) and using floating row covers. I covered them when I planted the starters, and have been hand pollinating each morning. It is a bit of a PITA, but I harvested my first zucchini this week and have more baby zucchini and yellow squash on the vine. So far the plants look very clean, no sign of borer activity. I've read that by about mid-July here it may be safe to remove the row covers but will wait and see.
I'm so interested to hear the idea about straw bales and raising them! I had decided that next year I might move them out of my larger raised beds and just grow them in individual pots, wrapped in row cover when appropriate, and then just keep seeding a new one every few weeks on the assumption that the borers will show up regardless. But maybe I'll try the straw bales next year, too.

I have to say that I used straw for mulch for the first time a few weeks ago and I hate it. Everyone said it's supposed to be free of weed seed, but whatever is there is something that the birds love, and they're always rooting around in it and scattering the straw everywhere. I didn't have that problem with the alfalfa hay I used earlier in the season, so I'll definitely be going back to that.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Beets are popping out of the ground, so I guess it's time to eat them? This is my first year growing them. Potatoes have wanted more water than they're getting. Severe drought and lack of time does not a happy garden make.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

Our garden has been a little disappointing this year after all the work to add in new raised beds in addition to our in ground area. Our strawberries did well until a week of super high temps and haven't produced much since then. Lettuce did really well and onions look good so far. Cabbage and cauliflower are looking great, but the cauliflower has a bunch of holes in the leaves so it may end up buggy. The watermelon looks fantastic so far, but it's our first time growing that and I think we have the space overpopulated. Eggplant is mixed, one plant looks great and the other two aren't doing nearly as good.

Our favorite items are the peppers and tomatoes and those are the main disappointments. At this point I don't think we'll get any bell or sweet peppers. Those are in a raised bed and I suspect my wife likes watering too much. For tomatoes, the full sized varieties look ok so far. The cherry/grape plants are our favorites and I don't think we'll get anything from them. Really stringy plants with badly curled leaves.

Our raspberries aren't producing anything, but those are only two years old so I'm not sure if we should be expecting much yet.

I am looking forward to setting up some bins out of pallets later this summer for making some leaf mold. We have unlimited compost from our town's lot, but there'd be quite a bit of herbicide on what gets composted there. I don't know if that all gets broken down when composted, but I did use a lot of that last fall and spring to amend our in ground garden and as fill (with soil from the family farm) for our new raised beds.

We're new enough to gardening that I don't really know how to fix the issues. I think my wife waters too often, but I value my general happiness so I've reached my limit in suggesting that as an issue.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:07 pm We're new enough to gardening that I don't really know how to fix the issues. I think my wife waters too often, but I value my general happiness so I've reached my limit in suggesting that as an issue.
Every county in the US has a free agricultural extension office that offers some level of very local gardening assistance, from soil testing to advice to onsite consults. Some counties are more active than others, but an email or call from you and your spouse might be productive. Sometimes, it's just picking the right seeds!
https://pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

eob616 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:09 am I'm so interested to hear the idea about straw bales and raising them! I had decided that next year I might move them out of my larger raised beds and just grow them in individual pots, wrapped in row cover when appropriate, and then just keep seeding a new one every few weeks on the assumption that the borers will show up regardless. But maybe I'll try the straw bales next year, too.

I have to say that I used straw for mulch for the first time a few weeks ago and I hate it. Everyone said it's supposed to be free of weed seed, but whatever is there is something that the birds love, and they're always rooting around in it and scattering the straw everywhere. I didn't have that problem with the alfalfa hay I used earlier in the season, so I'll definitely be going back to that.
My friend sent me a copy of "Straw Bale Gardens" by Joel Karsten, but the method can be found easily online. I ended up following the instructions on the Milorganite website as that's the fertilizer I used to prep the bales. I was skeptical too but it really is working! I gave the bales a bit longer to "cook" than was recommended, as it was a cold rainy spring and they just didn't seem quite ready at first (the milorganite took awhile to dissolve). After more days of warm sunny weather, I could tell the straw was breaking down and it was time to plant. I have 4 bales with 1 Sungold tomato, 1 cantaloupe, 4 tomatillos (probably too closely spaced), 2 cucumbers, 1 each yellow squash and zucchini. I've already harvested the first tomatoes and zucchini, tomatillos and yellow squash are setting fruit, and cucumbers are covered in (so far, only male) flowers. My straw bales had weed seeds, some kind of grass (I bought them at Home Depot) but the vegetable plants and this grassy stuff just co-exist nicely, it hasn't inhibited my plants from growing prodigiously.

I have the squash under an Agribon 15 row cover and every morning I check for open flowers and hand pollinate. It is getting to be a nice soothing morning ritual, especially the more success that I have. I did see a SVB moth on the outside of the row cover at end of June, so they are definitely in the area. I still have not seen any eggs or signs of larval entry though can't rule out the possibility I am just missing them (have to be really careful about making sure there are no gaps they can crawl through). Time will tell. But have already harvested more squash than I did in each of last 2 summers. :) Happy to answer any more questions.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

On the flower front - Zinnias are holding their own in our excessive heat and low watering, but marigolds seem to be thinking that dying is preferable.Snap dragons are doing ok, but might be getting a bit more water.

Can anyone suggest another heat/drought hardy full sun annual for next year?
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

I am in zone...south Florida. I think it's zone 11.

pretty much the only thing i can grow in the summer heat is super hot peppers - Ghost and Scotch Bonnet. But, white flies are EVERYWHERE and they love pepper leaves. The underside of my pepper leaves look like they have snow on them with all the eggs.

I try to avoid pesticides but I will literally spray my plants every single week with Sevin or some other type of nasty bug-killer and it does nothing to prevent white flies.

Anyone with experience in hot humid climates know how to prevent or kill white flies? it's depressing to raise seedlings only to see them killed off with white flies.

Similarly, anyone have suggestions on what else can be grown with low temps in the 80s and highs in the 90s as we often see in south FL summers?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

InMyDreams wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:28 am
peppers wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:22 am My only issue is once again with the San Marzano tomatoes. Like last year, plump, green and....waiting to turn red.
The three red tomatoes that I've had were all San Marzanos that had blossom end rot. Even watering is difficult in my garden any year, but especially this year with severe drought. Blossom end rot was, I think, the problem that I had the last time I tried to grow San Marzanos, and also the problem with Purple Cherokees, Brandywine, and other heirlooms - along with splitting/cracking problems, too.

Blossom end rot is a calcium issue that can be made worse by watering issues. Elongated varieties like Romas and San Marzanos are particularly prone to it. Splitting and cracking are also signs of watering issues. Is there any garden store that can do a calcium test of your soil? That will let you know if you need to add a calcium supplement to the soil or if the issue is more about the watering schedule.

My own garden is being done in by this heat wave in California. I've increased irrigation to give them a brief second drink in the middle of the afternoon and I've relocated all the potted plants into shaded areas, but it's still taking its toll on veggies, fruits, and ornamentals alike. We'll see how much pulls through. I've started some more seeds inside to get a second round of Fall plantings.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

My pollinator - old electric tooth brush is doing wonders for me. Usually 65-75% flowers will set fruit. So far for 5 tomato plants it is going at 100%! I am amazed by the results so far.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Mudpuppy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:06 am
InMyDreams wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:28 am

Blossom end rot is a calcium issue that can be made worse by watering issues. Elongated varieties like Romas and San Marzanos are particularly prone to it. Splitting and cracking are also signs of watering issues. Is there any garden store that can do a calcium test of your soil? That will let you know if you need to add a calcium supplement to the soil or if the issue is more about the watering schedule.
Thank you :) I'm pretty sure it's uneven watering, but will investigate soil testing thru the extension center. Like you, the heat and the drought are making gardening difficult. I'm contemplating changing my extended (now brown) lawn space to some sort of rock garden. Lawn that is shaded by trees is surviving.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just harvested my first tomato. :happy

I'll ignore the tiny ants that were crawling inside and consider it "protein". They easily washed out. :)
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Project 8 years delayed…..

72 grow stations indoor hydroponic system completely DIY from Sterilite storage bins and 5 gallon buckets.
2 pond size air pumps
16 large air stones
8 led grow lights.
Etc
Lettuce and veggies grow the size of plants in the movie “Avatar” and very quickly.

Will be able to grow veggies year round in perfect conditions
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Your extension agent can tell what will grow in southern FL. My extension agent said what this article also says, that some veggies won't set fruit when daytime highs are above 85F.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/ ... -set-fruit
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:42 am Project 8 years delayed…..

72 grow stations indoor hydroponic system completely DIY from Sterilite storage bins and 5 gallon buckets.
2 pond size air pumps
16 large air stones
8 led grow lights.
Etc
Lettuce and veggies grow the size of plants in the movie “Avatar” and very quickly.

Will be able to grow veggies year round in perfect conditions
j🌺
Seriously, Sandtrap - will you sell at the farmer's market? How many people do you plan to feed - 2 Harvest Aerogardens provide more lettuce than I can keep up with!
CouponJack

Post by CouponJack »

i'm in zone 7B (Charlotte NC) and i grow all vegetables in containers and 5 gallon buckets on my deck (since my backyard does not get full sun).

Cherry Tomatoes and Bush type tomatoes (determinate) have been doing well. my biggest issue is not using tomato cages and now I'm holding up tons of vines by string so they don't crack/fall to the ground. I tried strawberries this year but they didn't do well (i guess the hot weather did them in pretty early, and I also was clipping runners left and right!)

Also, growing bush type cukes in a bucket and they have done well...

No diseases (yet) for any of my containers/buckets but always checking for hornworms!
Topic Author
peppers

Post by peppers »

I transplanted our rosemary into a larger container and it now looks like a small version of a christmas tree.
Our jalapeno plants are about 3' high and show no signs of slowing down.
The cucumber vines are staked vertically and are about 8' high. The way they are growing, it looks like I will have to do my best Jack and the beanstalk impression.

My only issue is once again with the San Marzano tomatoes. Like last year, plump, green and....waiting to turn red.
Update to the update

The San Marzano's have finally turned. Just finished making a garden salad along with some peppers and cucumbers from the garden.
I made some jalapeno poppers on the grill and they were a little mild for my taste. But if history is any guide they should get hotter as the season progresses.
The cucumber vines continue their ascent and should be up and over the garage roof shortly.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

It's been unusual weather this year which has had a lot of influence. A late frost wiped out most of the tree fruits but the mulberries are going strong along with the blackberries. Most of the garden was planted late and it has been slow to get going. Cucumbers and tomatoes have started producing. The squash plants died but we have had more than enough from friends. We always have rabbits but this year there seem to be more than usual and they are eating anything they can get to from the garden to the potted plants on the porch. The dogs keep the deer out of the yard but the rabbits don't seem to mind them. The new trees I planted this year are doing well with little additional watering needed. The wet lands are overflowing with all the rain and the native wildflower patch would do better with some hot, dry weather. The native bamboo I planted a few years ago is finally taking off like I think it should and we had three clutches of wood ducks hatch this year.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

NW Indiana, zone 5B.

Weather has been very mild, some hot weather, but mostly high 70s-80s with plenty of rain. Lush is the word to describe our vegetable, herb, and floral gardens.

Began harvesting garlic and onions this week. Pulling about 10 garlic per day and 15-20 onions. Garlic is good size and appears to be well developed. I planted red, yellow, white onions plus shallots and leeks. Reds are huge, biggest onions I have ever grown. I started with transplants from Dixondale Farms in Texas. Leeks will stay in ground for awhile. Shallots look good...first year growing. Yellows are not as large as reds. All are "storage" onions.

Pole beans have been harvested for about a week now. I am freezing as picking...blanching hot and cold. DW canned about 10 jars of pickles. We picked 22 pounds of blueberries (not ours) and she canned 14 jelly jars of blueberry jam. Also froze about 15 pounds.

Tomatoes are coming on...mostly Roma for sauce and canning. Peppers loved the brief heat a couple of weeks ago and exploded in height and also blooms. Gypsy and banana peppers being consumed now. Mini peppers (seeds from store peppers) are loaded with small peppers.

Potatoes (russet, golds, reds) about 2 weeks out. Sweet potatoes are vining nicely.

Kale - strong producer as is Swiss Chard....too much for consumption. Broccoli now producing nice side shoots. Brussel sprouts look promising.

Early lettuce gone, but second planting producing and third is growing nicely...should be ready in 3 weeks.

Carrots - pulled one...looks great. Spaghetti squash growing all over and actually growing up a fence into pine trees. About 10 small squash on one plant.

Popcorn - Purdue Hybred - one patch is about 8 ft tall and beginning to form. Second later planting is about 5 ft tall.

Cauliflower forming...lets see what happens. Typically I cannot grow big fruits. No cabbage this year.

Planning for fall - will soon plant yet more lettuce, spinach, and carrots....will probably eat spinach and carrots next fall. Also purchased a cauliflower and broccoli plant from a local guy.

Producing more than we can consume or preserve...giving quite a bit away to co-workers, neighbors, and church members.

Solid year.

ed
eob616

Post by eob616 »

CouponJack wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am i'm in zone 7B (Charlotte NC) and i grow all vegetables in containers and 5 gallon buckets on my deck (since my backyard does not get full sun).

No diseases (yet) for any of my containers/buckets but always checking for hornworms!
@CouponJack, could you please share more about your cucumber setup? What varieties have you grown, and what size container do you have them in?

My vining cukes in my raised bed are all but finished up due to disease--people in my community garden say they tend to struggle here, although I don't know why--so I'm thinking about trying them in containers with fresh soil next year. I may even throw a few seeds into a pot tomorrow to see whether I can eke out a late crop this season. I've just barely scraped together enough to can 6 pints so far this year.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

CouponJack wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:02 am i'm in zone 7B (Charlotte NC) and i grow all vegetables in containers and 5 gallon buckets on my deck (since my backyard does not get full sun).

Cherry Tomatoes and Bush type tomatoes (determinate) have been doing well. my biggest issue is not using tomato cages and now I'm holding up tons of vines by string so they don't crack/fall to the ground. I tried strawberries this year but they didn't do well (i guess the hot weather did them in pretty early, and I also was clipping runners left and right!)

I just discovered this thread. I'm up the road from you in RTP, also 7b. I'm using the same techniques as you, although I also have a lot of 2gal plantings. I find I can still grow tomatoes in 2 gal, and the stress actually works to my advantage to keep the plants manageable, and they push fruit fast. ("I'm dying, I need to reproduce!")

I had good luck with cherry and small plum tomatoes. I'm growing a sweet banana pepper with a thin shell that works well in containers. The taste is great. I also grew container cukes with really good luck, although they are about done today.

Although I love a good slicing tomato, I find the small varieties are just easier to grow. It is difficult to grow large tomatoes in NC without running into all the problems such as blossom end rot, tobacco mosaic virus, and bacterial wilt. Splitting is a problem due to heat and water management, and is always easier to handle with the smaller tomato.

I had one container get bacterial wilt. I threw away the plant and soil instead of trying to do anything with it. Get it out of here!
devopscoder

Post by devopscoder »

MP173 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 pm
Cauliflower forming...lets see what happens. Typically I cannot grow big fruits. No cabbage this year.

Also purchased a cauliflower and broccoli plant from a local guy.
A local farmer suggested to me to plant Cauliflower late spring for fall harvest. I've done this the past two years and got some nice heads. I planted mine from seed into the ground the last week of June.

The only time I buy plants is early in the season. Otherwise, direct seed. You'll be surprised how quickly the seeds will germinate and grow. Plus, you don't have to worry about plants being root bound or have transplant shock.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

A little brag, if you don't mind. Last night we had traditional Greek salad (no lettuce) called Horiatiki. There's nothing like using your own ingredients freshly plucked from the garden minutes earlier.

Tomatoes, Cukes and Banana Sweet Peppers used in the salad:

My ingredients cut for the salad:

The final product. A more authentic version would have thicker cheese slabs and non-pitted olives:
Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl »

Grew a variety of tomato called Celebrity this year. Big beautiful fruits, and the vines are disease free. Unfortunately I don't care much for the taste. Bland. I tried to give them away at my workplace but nobody wants produce.

In an attempt to find a use for them I am trying a method of oven-roasting.

1. Cut a cross in the skin on the bottom of the fruit. Dip in boiling water until the skin wrinkles, then dip in ice water briefly. Remove the skins, cut in sections. The cross cut on the bottom helps the skin come off. This was a cool tip I did not know, and it worked.
2. Salt, drizzle with olive oil, and roast at 250 degrees until leathery. I used parchment paper underneath to keep the pan clean.

They are roasting now and smell pretty good. I hope this works because Celebrity is threatening me with large quantities of green tomatoes still to come!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I've never liked the "landscaping" on the north side of my house. It didn't matter anyway when a few weeks ago, the old unused septic tank collapsed. By the time the backhoe was done crushing it and the dump truck delivered the gravel fill, the yard was a wreck. I saved a few plants, but that was about all.

To make it easier to maintain, I enclosed the gravel area with 4x4's and will use that for houseplants in the summer. I am building a path made of salvaged paving blocks, bricks and more old 4x4's cut to 24" length (my neighbor has them). Ferns grow well there. I'll let it revert to a more natural area.

Meanwhile, the cucumbers have played out as have the squash; we are in a moderate drought and I don't feel much like dragging the house out there to the back field. The Swiss chard was eaten by the critters (so neatly it looked like they were cut with a lawnmower). The tomatoes are now ripening. Roma's seem to do best; the squirrels take about half; I see them scampering with them on the telephone wires eventually dropping them as they run. Doesn't bother me though, they were here first.

We are having a bumper year for rabbits and they have decimated the flower garden, even eating the marigolds. Finally this week a hawk has taken up residence and I have spotted a ferrel cat.