Are you competitive? If so, how do you compete as you get older?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
2Scoops

Are you competitive? If so, how do you compete as you get older?

Post by 2Scoops »

I’ve been competitive since birth. Playing sports has always allowed me to scratch that itch, even if it’s just recreational. It’s all very positive in nature and has provided a great mental break from the stressors in life.

Despite all efforts, my body is breaking down as I get older. I am still pretty active but I can see that the hourglass is almost out of sand in that regard.

As competitive sports become less and less a part of my life I was thinking about how I’ll continue to fuel the competitive fire. I’m looking for ideas. How do you stay competitive?
Living Free

Re: Are you competitive? If so, how do you compete as you get older?

Post by Living Free »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am I’ve been competitive since birth. Playing sports has always allowed me to scratch that itch, even if it’s just recreational. It’s all very positive in nature and has provided a great mental break from the stressors in life.

Despite all efforts, my body is breaking down as I get older. I am still pretty active but I can see that the hourglass is almost out of sand in that regard.

As competitive sports become less and less a part of my life I was thinking about how I’ll continue to fuel the competitive fire. I’m looking for ideas. How do you stay competitive?
Warren Buffett plays bridge. I play video games. Some folks like board games.
Swivelguy

Post by Swivelguy »

Around here all the old guys are into shooting (marksmanship) competition. It requires some flexibility, eyesight, and of course steady hands, but not a lot of raw exertion.
Humility101

Post by Humility101 »

Golf, Billiards, shuffleboard, board games, darts, video games, and more.

That’s my plan when I get that call.

Have fun,

Humility101
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am As competitive sports become less and less a part of my life I was thinking about how I’ll continue to fuel the competitive fire. I’m looking for ideas. How do you stay competitive?
I play pickleball. I play pretty much every day, and usually with a fairly competitive group.

My shoulder and my knees don't let me play tennis or basketball any longer. But with pickleball, I can play to a decent level and be competitive, or just be social. In my circle of friends, we have some very competitive folks in their 50s and 60s and early 70s. And we have less competitive folks in the 50-85 range. Lots of fun! And physical enough that after a few hours, I'm tired.

I also like board games. We have a group that plays - some are competitive and some are not.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
cudavid

Post by cudavid »

Shooting, golf, games you can play against yourself in terms of scores works for me
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am I’ve been competitive since birth. Playing sports has always allowed me to scratch that itch, even if it’s just recreational. It’s all very positive in nature and has provided a great mental break from the stressors in life.

With added wisdom grow stronger. Find any subject you are interested in. Then google the best book on that topic. Divid the pages by seven. Read that many pages per day. Finish one book a week. I’ve always been a reader, it’s only this year that I am trying to finish a book a week for the whole you. So far zero regrets.
drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf »

Golf and shooting Trap. It helps me to remain competitive.
OP, if you think the sand is close to empty just wait until your 82+. I maintain that the golf clubs they make today are inferior to those of 30 years ago. How else could you explain why 30 years ago I hit my Wedge about 145 yards. Today only 100 yards on a good day. My on ly explanation is inferior clubs.
And, also the ground is further away when it comes to teeing up the ball.
Hope this helps.
Dominic :oops:
Dominic
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

When I stopped playing sports I focused more on weight training

How old are you?
Topic Author
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

Ramjet wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:14 am
2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am

How old are you?
I’m in my low 40’s. However, I’ve had 4 major surgeries (back x 2, Achilles, shoulder) and have at least one other ticking time bomb. I pay out of pocket for PT once a week at my house (full gym setup).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 amAs competitive sports become less and less a part of my life I was thinking about how I’ll continue to fuel the competitive fire. I’m looking for ideas. How do you stay competitive?
For sports, you coach or you become a referee.

For other endeavors, you teach your minions to be better than anyone else's minions.

For parents, you make sure your children are way above their Lake Wobegon peers.

For investors, you get on reddit and away you go.

I don't think I have to tell anyone how to compete on Bogleheads.org.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'm very competitive, I think in a good way, meaning I've learned to really have fun pushing and competing against my own limits as well as enjoying other slightly-better competitors to push me forward and show me the way, but not having the competition destroy the camaderie or enjoyment of the sport.

Competing until you are late into retirement can be easy for an endurance athlete (assuming that your joints and health cooperate, obviously.) Running, cycling, and swimming all have age-group breakdowns for podium wins in addition to the overall wins, and even if you're in a 'soft' field, it's always nice to score an age group 1st-3rd.

I've only won one out of the hundreds of races I've done over my lifetime as the 1st place overall and that was like the tiniest, most non-advertised race ever that attracted mostly rookies (and I wasn't a rookie) but it never gets old to shoot for an age-group podium, which seems to never be easy at least at my level.

Plenty of 65+ folks training super hard for all sorts of age-graded wins in endurance sports - it's perhaps one of the best things about such sports, that there is ample opportunity to compete as hard as you want until you are literally physically completely unable to do so.

The non-contact nature of swimming and cycling in particular lend themselves to high-level participation until much later in life, well after the joints wear out and running becomes impossible. And if you really love running and can still run a decent amount but can't do high mileage training like you used to triathlon lets you run really fast while limiting the run miles so you can do that for a lot longer than pure running (or any field sports like basketball, soccer, football, etc.)
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

Do not give in. Keep doing what you are doing until they have to drag you off.

But do not be dumb. Stay in shape and accept the lower level of performance gracefully and channel the competitiveness more to maintaining fitness and form and enjoying the events rather than winning. Get lots of rest and have fun.

Do not get a motorcycle, but if you do get an organ donor card.

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

On a larger and more inclusive tangent vs sports. . . .

Competitiveness ?
VS
Ambition ?
VS
Self Challenge and Growth beyond limitations?
VS
Complacency?
VS
Ambivalence?
VS
Safety, Security, Structure, Boundaries, Limitations?
VS
Physical vs Emotional vs Competitiveness as a "core person" in all areas of life?
VS
Inner vs outer expression of . . . .? (need for?)

Is there an age and evolving maturity/life experience that changes the above as a "core" Self/person . . or. . . passing hobbies and amusements?

Interesting question.

Actionably:
Does this relate to personal investing strategy?
Allocation risk tolerance?

On topic: the above as referenced to "sports" as one get's older?
Within one's physical limitations:
Tennis vs pickle ball vs table top ping pong
Boxing and martial arts vs Tai Chi
Football and contact sports vs recliner remote control sports viewing or video games

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Similar here, lifelong competitive athlete: football/baseball/wrestling/track growing up, football in college, then powerlifting and superbike (motorcycle) racing, then triathlons/running/cycling races as an adult. Injuries (torn biceps, ruptured achilles, two knee surgeries, and now a host of current back issues - compression fractures, 4 bulging discs, pretty severe degeneration and wedging) have added up over the last few years (turned 40 last week) and the only things I can do now without significant pain are light running and hiking/snow shoeing. Even cycling is a no go. The plan was to start MMA (primarily BJJ and muy thai) as my wife and kids have been training and competing for a while now, but the back is not healing as I hoped. At this point, it is competing against myself; knocking prominent peaks off my list and trying to slowly improve cardio fitness.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Compete with my 8-year daughter at board/card games.

And compete against myself on everything. Saving money, making more money, getting to my destination before the GPS estimate, etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am Similar here, lifelong competitive athlete: football/baseball/wrestling/track growing up, football in college, then powerlifting and superbike (motorcycle) racing, then triathlons/running/cycling races as an adult. Injuries (torn biceps, ruptured achilles, two knee surgeries, and now a host of current back issues - compression fractures, 4 bulging discs, pretty severe degeneration and wedging) have added up over the last few years (turned 40 last week) and the only things I can do now without significant pain are light running and hiking/snow shoeing. Even cycling is a no go. The plan was to start MMA (primarily BJJ and muy thai) as my wife and kids have been training and competing for a while now, but the back is not healing as I hoped. At this point, it is competing against myself; knocking prominent peaks off my list and trying to slowly improve cardio fitness.
Awesome!
How inspiriing!

I can identify with you a bit.
Similar path and events and ages.

Be careful of those discs, compound twisting and turnning, impact, etc.
Spine surgeries for nerve impingement, etc, can be life changing.
Every spine and joint trauma is cumulative.
(no medical details per forum guidelines. PM me as you wish regarding spine things, etc.).

Consider "balance" and quality of life and activity projected to age 70+.
More "kata" and so forth, balanced between hard vs soft, Tai Chi, Chi Kung (explore the inner core of things).
Note: BJJ and Muy Thai can be brutal and tough on joints and so forth.
(spouse and self had several large "dojo's" for many decades, kids grew up in them. PM me as you wish for fun).

(kidding)
The handicap parking permit and license plate is not a good thing to work up to.

The paths focusing on the "inner" and "balance" of things can be far tougher and more challenging than those with greater physicality.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Yes I am, and like you, I focus that competitiveness in sports. It took me a while to tone down the competitiveness to a healthy level.

As I get older, it's not about me vs. the world anymore. Now it's just me vs. myself. Can I add 10 lbs more to my lift? Can I sprint faster? Can I add inches to my box jump? Can I test my endurance with strenuous hike at Grand Canyon, Zion, Mt. Rainier, etc. I find that when I just keep the competitiveness within myself, not only it brings self-gratification and satisfaction, but it also prevent me from straining relationships with friends and family.
Time is the ultimate currency.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

My dad is in his mid 70s and plays in a senior softball league and a golf league. He said one of the guys in the softball league is 80 and is still quite good. If softball isn’t possible, golf is one sport you can probably play forever.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

We have a Peloton bike, it allows me to compete against others in my age range on the leaderboard, but more than anything it allows me to compete against myself. If my personal record for a ride is 400 (output measured by speed/resistance), some mornings I wake up and challenge myself to try and top my own personal record... it's amazing the workout you can get when you're actively trying to beat yourself from a previous ride.

I doubt you need the actual peloton bike for this, but try jogging/walking a mile and time yourself... then try to beat that time next time out. Competing against myself has been a great way to stay in shape and push myself.
sport

Post by sport »

Duplicate Bridge is all about competition. You do it while sitting. :D
You can find out all about it here: www.acbl.org
mall0c

Post by mall0c »

<deleted>
Last edited by mall0c on Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIRE'd. Mid-40s.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

51, still competing in my sport, although my age (51-55) and weight bracket (102 kg) competition is getting sparse as competitors age out.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:36 am Similar here, lifelong competitive athlete: football/baseball/wrestling/track growing up, football in college, then powerlifting and superbike (motorcycle) racing, then triathlons/running/cycling races as an adult. Injuries (torn biceps, ruptured achilles, two knee surgeries, and now a host of current back issues - compression fractures, 4 bulging discs, pretty severe degeneration and wedging) have added up over the last few years (turned 40 last week) and the only things I can do now without significant pain are light running and hiking/snow shoeing. Even cycling is a no go. The plan was to start MMA (primarily BJJ and muy thai) as my wife and kids have been training and competing for a while now, but the back is not healing as I hoped. At this point, it is competing against myself; knocking prominent peaks off my list and trying to slowly improve cardio fitness.
That sounds painful. My youth took a different path with swimming, basketball, judo, soccer, and track. Those are mostly non-contact sports (aside from maybe soccer and judo). I still have a bad knee and couple of torn ligament in the fingers that never got fixed. But those are nowhere compared to your injuries.

Now my activities is mostly bodybuilding (weightlifting with a focus on performance) and hiking. Maybe it saves me from injuries and a trip to the hospital.
Time is the ultimate currency.
stuper1

Post by stuper1 »

Another vote here for pickleball if you are into racquet sports at all. There are some very athletic people who play it very seriously. There are tournaments all over the country every week. I played in the Nationals tournament a couple years ago, which gathered people from all over the country at a beautiful facility. It was great.

If you are a runner, check out the Dipsea trail race in Mill Valley, California. The oldest trail race in America. It has a unique format where older people get a staggered head start depending on their age/gender. The first person across the finish line is the overall winner. It is often won by an older man or woman. I ran this one year, and it was awesome.
A 10-20% allocation to gold has helped with the sequence of returns problem. Some gold held physically is also good insurance against the all-digital-assets problem.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Do you swim? Not hard on the body, and you can try out for Senior Olympics starting at age 50.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

I have been hooked on CrossFit since May 2019. I am now 50 and LOVE the competitive environment (I soooo wish I had joined several years sooner). I can't compete with 25 year old athletes, but there are scaled versions/weights that allow for some pretty intense (but always fun) competition. Plus, you get to electronically log all your workouts, lifts, etc. so you can always compete with yourself. There is a 60 year old guy I work out with there. He has been going for over 5 years now. He can do 10 strict pullups, deadlift 400 pounds, bench press 215, etc. 6'1, 175lbs and someone I hope to emulate as I get older.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am As competitive sports become less and less a part of my life I was thinking about how I’ll continue to fuel the competitive fire. I’m looking for ideas. How do you stay competitive?
Masters division.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

CFM300 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:47 am
Masters division.
+1 Good one.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

2Scoops:

My first sailboat race was aboard Ticonderoga in a 1950 race from Miami to Nassau. I've been hooked ever since having competed in more than a thousand sailboat races -- usually weekend sailing regattas on Biscayne Bay.

I tried, but I never won a national championship. Fortunately, sailing is a sport where you can finish last and still have a wonderful time.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "“The winning formula for success in investing is owning the entire stock market through an index fund, and then doing nothing. Just stay the course.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I like to hike and I have encountered many people of advanced age on the trail that put young people to shame. Some are doing long through hikes of trails like the Pacific Crest Trail and others are out there volunteering with trail work teams and working their butt off.

If you like to run, hike, cycle, you can get a fitness watch to track your activities and monitor your progress. Try to improve on your times and compete with yourself or even with friends who may run or cycle the same trail or route.
Wiki
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

I argue with my wife :happy
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I trained at a high competitive nature in powerlifting. 25 years. Trophies in room and sore joints!

Now I walk and try to drop weight. Also took up golf a few years back and love playing with my kid.

At the higher level I was competing at I found it more of a challenge to let go mentally than anything.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

DSInvestor wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 am I like to hike and I have encountered many people of advanced age on the trail that put young people to shame. Some are doing long through hikes of trails like the Pacific Crest Trail and others are out there volunteering with trail work teams and working their butt off.

If you like to run, hike, cycle, you can get a fitness watch to track your activities and monitor your progress. Try to improve on your times and compete with yourself or even with friends who may run or cycle the same trail or route.
My best hiking/snow shoeing buddy is 57 and he can chug up a mountain with a loaded pack all day, seemingly never showing any fatigue. He's also an ultra-marathoner and masters swimmer who has won his age group in countless regional races; he had never really ran until he was in his early 40's. Trying to keep up with him has been my primary training motivation over the last two years as my own health issues have prevented me from doing anything strength-related.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

knibloe wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:21 am I argue with my wife :happy
If you're anything like me, you're completely outclassed. :happy
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 am
Ramjet wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:14 am
2Scoops wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:34 am

How old are you?
I’m in my low 40’s. However, I’ve had 4 major surgeries (back x 2, Achilles, shoulder) and have at least one other ticking time bomb. I pay out of pocket for PT once a week at my house (full gym setup).
Ouch. I feel you, been dealing with some terrible back pain the last few years

Other things I do to keep busy: poker, fishing, light woodworking
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I, too, like the thrill of competition and the pride of achieving. However, in my early teens, I had a major bank injury which precluded me from competing in any physical or sports-related activities. However, I was able to scratch that itch through various mental competitions: math competitions, science competitions, computer competitions, quiz bowl.

I was in one competition sponsored by the American Computer Science League (https://www.acsl.org). For three of my four years of high school, I represented my school at their "All Star Contest", where they invite the top scoring schools during the qualifiers to a location for an international competition. It was the closest thing to an Olympics that I can think of for people who are not athletic.

One year, we won our age group and another year we came in third (behind two teams from a large well known science/tech magnet school). It was a really amazing experience. So when people talk about how they played sports in HS, I have something to hang my hat on. Yes, it is sort of geeky, but does it really any less dedication and competitive drive to win at something physical vs something mental? The training, the prep, the mentality... it is basically the same process.

That said, I didn't get a cool varsity jacket. Oh well! :beer

My point is when people think of competition, they immediately think of the physical.. However, there are so many ways to satisfy that competitive urge that don't require a functioning body. You just need to change your thinking and expand your horizons a bit.
Boston773

Post by Boston773 »

Similar age with a long list of injuries. I have tried to remain competitive and active. Injuries in the gym have increased my cardio and individual body composition goals.

I agree with FootballFan5548. Peloton is an incredibly motivating way to tap your competitive nature. ( I was never a cycling guy)

At first I used the digital app for running at the gym and outdoors. The instructors not only push you but I learned a lot about proper running form for the first time @ 40. Then the pandemic hit and I bought a cheap bike and projected the classes onto my tv. (cheap alternative for people not wanting to splurge on the bike) I eventually lost focus because I didn't think I was really burning calories well vs running.

Now that I have the bike I get up every morning knock out 20-45 minutes(300-600 calories) before work. The pseudo live Beta classes start every 5 minutes which is so much better for me verses the few truly live classes that have per day. I don't need to compete with 3k people. In fact, I prefer not to do that. I'd be less motivated to be 500 of 4000 people vs, in the top five of a group of 10-50 people. Highly recommended recommended.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

I'm 74 and still play hockey a couple of mornings a week. We have an over 60 group made up of a lot of guys who played at a competitive level (high school, college, a few pro) and who still compete a a pretty high level. We have a team that plays in regional and even national age group tournaments. Involvement in hockey leads to greater incentive to train. I usually bike 3 days a week (shifted to an e-bike a few years ago), do weight training at the gym 2/3 days a week (still using much the same weights on all the exercises as I always used). I don't want to be embarrassed on the ice as get older and the new guys get younger. I've been holding off on golf "until I get old."
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

I recently took up chess. I had played with my dad as a kid and a couple of times in college, but never really anything competitively. Someone started a thread on this forum about it and it renewed my interest. So did watching The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.

Chess.com allows you to play online for free. There are also subscription packages ranging from $29-$99/year if you want to unlock more features. I purchased the $29 one and it's been well worth it. They offer training videos, puzzles, and of course computer or live person matches. Also comes with a player rating that moves up and down depending on how you perform (scratches that competitive itch). Would recommend if even the slightest bit interested.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Apparently unlike everyone else here I was never competitive. As a kid I was the worst or nearly worst at everything I did: always in the bottom 20% or so academically and worse at sports. In college I did a little better academically but didn't participate in any sports. When I got older I felt I was okay at my career, but not great at that either.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:03 pm Apparently unlike everyone else here I was never competitive. As a kid I was the worst or nearly worst at everything I did: always in the bottom 20% or so academically and worse at sports. In college I did a little better academically but didn't participate in any sports....
You're not Bill Gates are you? :wink:
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

humblecoder wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:34 amThat said, I didn't get a cool varsity jacket. Oh well! :beer
Our public school district gives out jackets for the academic teams as well as the sports teams. The jackets are identical so the jocks look exactly like the nerds.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Yes, I'm competitive....on the racquetball court...even though things have slowed for me....knee problems make it a struggle...but I just can't stop....
trumpet83

Post by trumpet83 »

I think a competitive person can find something to be competitive about with no problem. For most really competitive people it's probably about how to get yourself to be able to turn it off from time to time.

I'm 37 and am a P.E. teacher who also plays in soccer leagues. Over the past handful of years I have definitely felt what you are saying where your body just changes. I started picking up soft tissue injuries, broke an ankle, hernia surgery, etc. I also compete in bodybuilding and it was really difficult to balance soccer training with lifting and not overdo it in some area that would eventually cause a problem. I wound up seeking out Physical Therapists that taught me a lot and convinced me to incorporate new exercises to my routine that have helped me get back to my best.

I mention that to stress not giving up on your body. Most of us gradually get set in our ways about what we do to care for it and there may be someone you can reach out to that can add some years to your preferred activity. If it's truly time to say goodbye then plenty of people go into coaching to stay around the sport they love. Beyond that, there are a million options (like Pickleball! and Golf) that might allow you to decelerate, but basically continue.

Add my vote to chess! I'm a tournament player and travel all over playing different events. Again though, there are a zillion things you can do and every niche has an entire world within it of people that are full-on experts at that thing that was previously an afterthought!
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Change the paradigm as your world changes. Harry Chapin has a challenge for you: Oh if a man tried, To take his time on Earth, And prove before he died, What one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen, to this world.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I know a guys who has been hiking Rim to Rim of the GC every year since he turned 40. He's now in his 70s. Stay active.