2019 Porsche Macan Excessive Tire Noise: Options?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Van

2019 Porsche Macan Excessive Tire Noise: Options?

Post by Van »

I have a 2019 Porsche Macan which I bought new and like very much EXCEPT at 40 mph and above there is excessive tire noise. It really ruins what would otherwise be an enjoyable driving experience. The tires that came with the vehicle are Pirellli brand, not exactly a cheap tire. I only have 12,500 miles on the odometer. What are my options? I hate the thought of buying new tires, something other than Pirellli for sure. Contact the dealer and see if they will do something? What could I hope for? Replacement tires totally at their expense? Replacement tires that I pay for at their cost? Any other suggestions?
Jack FFR1846

Re: 2019 Porsche Macan Excessive Tire Noise: Options?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

If nothing else, I'd go to the Tire Rack reviews section for tires that will fit your Macan. Find the quietest tires of the lot and buy them. You can either sell the tires that come off or save them for later if you need tires when you're going to get rid of it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Sounds (ha ha) like it could be a rebalancing issue. Take it to the dealer if they tell you after a call that this would be on warranty (probably not) or better yet to a reputable independent. Be prepared to buy a new set of tires, however.

I have 18k miles on my 2015 with the all season Perrelli Scorpions. I do not have a noise issue, but I am on the cusp of needing a new set in a couple thousand more miles. With Covid shielding, I put 1K in all of 2020, so I can probably put off the expense until 2022.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

So far no one seems to think I will be able to get any satisfaction from the dealer. I bought this new.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Maybe it has to do with low profile tires as well. Did you get an extra large wheel size?
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Did the noise increase in time? Was it quieter a year ago?
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Giant (aka wide and low profile) tires designed for performance on a performance vehicle... can equal road noise. Trade off.

Drive a more pedestrian vehicle with squishy sidewalls, and you should have less tire noise.

The oversized wheels and thin tires are a horrible trend that 99% of drivers do not need. But the look "sells" :oops:
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

I would check for an alignment problem that is causing the tires to wear improperly.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

Starfish wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:51 pm Did the noise increase in time? Was it quieter a year ago?
Yes, it was reasonably quiet a year or more ago.
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

Tires are a wear item. Why would the dealer pay for them?

Some tires do get louder as they wear. Shop carefully for new quiet tires.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Van wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:44 pm So far no one seems to think I will be able to get any satisfaction from the dealer. I bought this new.
If you are a great customer and refer a lot of business they might cut you a deal on replacement tires but otherwise tires are a wear item. High performance tires can be loud and get louder with age.

Check the tread for even wear to make sure you don’t have an alignment issue.

OEM tires are often inferior to retail tires even in the same brand and model.

Check the ratings at Tire Rack and their reviews for an idea on good replacements.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

You may need alignment and balancing. That said, stock pirelli run-flats are awful. You need to switch to non run-flats if you want less road noise and comfort.

Michelin pilot 4s are the best tire around for street use. They have zero noise. I run them all year round but I am in California. They are no good in snow.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

If it makes you feel any better, you've made a common mistake. Many people buy a Porsche because it's the dream and don't fully appreciate the compromises involved in a high performance vehicle with low profile tires and large wheels. They're loud, rough, and highly compromised for performance that you're not likely using. There's a lot of used Porsches out there with just a few thousand miles on them for this very reason. I say this as a Porsche owner. I cannot make phone calls in my Cayman, it's too loud. I'm OK with that. I have a Honda Accord for those days when I need a quiet boring commuter car.

Your best bet is to downsize to smaller wheels and tires, like what comes on the Base Macan. Just changing to different performance tires on the same large wheels isn't going to solve your problem.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Good luck getting any help from the dealer. All I can tell you is that I had a set of tires on my Civic that got louder with time. From what I gather, it had nothing to do with the tire size or type. My particular tires just wore that way. It was also just the front pair of tires because I noticed the sound was reduced when I rotated them to the back. I replaced with the exact same tire and size. Sound went away and didn't come back.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

eye.surgeon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:29 am If it makes you feel any better, you've made a common mistake. Many people buy a Porsche because it's the dream and don't fully appreciate the compromises involved in a high performance vehicle with low profile tires and large wheels. They're loud, rough, and highly compromised for performance that you're not likely using. There's a lot of used Porsches out there with just a few thousand miles on them for this very reason. I say this as a Porsche owner. I cannot make phone calls in my Cayman, it's too loud. I'm OK with that. I have a Honda Accord for those days when I need a quiet boring commuter car.

Your best bet is to downsize to smaller wheels and tires, like what comes on the Base Macan. Just changing to different performance tires on the same large wheels isn't going to solve your problem.
Thank you for replying. I don't believe I have low profile tires and large wheels, but I'm not knowledgeable about tires, so maybe I do. My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, 235/60 R18 on the front and 255/55 R18 on the rear. Do you still think I have made a common mistake for which there really is no easy solution by replacing the Pirelli tires with a different brand?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Those tires are certainly not the rubber band tires on quite a few cars. The Cayman I test drove last week had 20" wheels. Even my son's Subaru STi has shorter sidewall tires than you've got, by a lot.

The dealer *may* have suggestions. Certainly won't hurt to bring it in and ask. I doubt you're going to get free replacements. You'll note even in the owner's manual that the car manufacturer (they all do this) point you to the tire manufacturer for warranties and questions.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
SR7

Post by SR7 »

Van wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 am
Thank you for replying. I don't believe I have low profile tires and large wheels, but I'm not knowledgeable about tires, so maybe I do. My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, 235/60 R18 on the front and 255/55 R18 on the rear. Do you still think I have made a common mistake for which there really is no easy solution by replacing the Pirelli tires with a different brand?
That is a reasonable tire size, not low profile and not especially large wheels.
For comparison, I just looked up a Ford Mustang and it showed F 255/40R19 and R 275/40R19.

Are your tires run flats? I’ve heard of people not being happy with run flats compared to conventional tires, as they are harsher. Anyway check your tire pressure and wheel alignment, it may help.
I studied Physics not Finance, so best to ignore anything I say about money.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

The tires are not run flats. Tire pressures are correct, but I have not had the alignment checked.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Van wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 am Thank you for replying. I don't believe I have low profile tires and large wheels, but I'm not knowledgeable about tires, so maybe I do. My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season, 235/60 R18 on the front and 255/55 R18 on the rear. Do you still think I have made a common mistake for which there really is no easy solution by replacing the Pirelli tires with a different brand?
My Macan has 20" versions of the same tires you have with no problems at 18k. Sounds like an alignment issue. Be nice to the dealer and maybe he'll do the work for free. Oh, it's Porsche. Never mind....
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
SR7

Post by SR7 »

Van wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 am The tires are not run flats. Tire pressures are correct, but I have not had the alignment checked.
While there, get the tires balanced again, you may have thrown a wheel weight causing a vibration.
I studied Physics not Finance, so best to ignore anything I say about money.
Pickles_Ice_Cream

Post by Pickles_Ice_Cream »

Specifically check for Tire Cupping.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tread-a ... re-cupping#
AA: 80% Equities / 20% Fixed Income | 25% of Equities in International. | 25% of Equities in Small Cap Blend. | 50% of Fixed Income in TSP G Fund, 50% in Total Bond | Two Pensions Expected (Federal and State)
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Van wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 am The tires are not run flats. Tire pressures are correct, but I have not had the alignment checked.
Your tires are run flats. Look them up.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car ... all-season

You might benefit from looking this up on rennlist or another porsche forum.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Why would the dealer pay for new tires? Didn't you hear the road noise when you took it on a test drive?
illumination

Post by illumination »

Tires can have issues like an internal belt separating, it could also be something like balance or alignment issue. A weight could have fallen off the wheel and sort of "slaps" the road from not being properly balanced at higher speeds. Usually you feel this in the steering wheel at highway speeds.

I've literally taken a car that road fine in to have the tires rotated and balanced and come right out with it not done properly and felt like I was going over a torn up road on the highway when it should have been glass smooth. Purely from a small weight.

I'd take it to a good tire shop and see what they think. Also, run flat tires are notoriously terrible in the ride department. People usually can't believe the upgrade when they ditch them.

All that being said , this might not be a tire issue and something like a wheel bearing. But my "shoot from the hip" is it's a tire problem.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:33 am

Sure does look like this is a run-flat tire as described in the Technology section. Right next to Run Flat is PNCS, "a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tire, reducing noise by half."

Did the noise double? Or more? Maybe the "device" shook loose. Or maybe de device is out of spec now. Worst case, could it add even more noise when nor functioning properly? They use the term "cancelling", but not active, so looks like mostly sound absorption "foam", so harmful noise appears limited. https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-gu ... on-133119/ (there isn't an active noise cancellation button that was turned off accidentally, was there?; I don't think Macan has ACN)

HOW PNCS™ TIRES WORK
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car ... -with-foam
Technology
RUN FLAT

PNCS

DRIVE WITHOUT PRESSURE
RUN FLAT™ tires mean safety. They provide greater control of the car in emergency conditions and allow you to continue driving safely even during a rapid loss of inflation pressure.

COMFORTABLE DRIVING
The PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM™ (PNCS) is a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tire, reducing noise by half.
GoneCamping

Post by GoneCamping »

Your tires have a fairly low rating for noise from reviews at Tire Rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... type=CSTAS). Tires only get noisier with age, especially if not properly maintained i.e. proper pressure, balance, and alignment. Like others have said, be sure to check there isn't noticeably uneven wear. Even with all that they still only get noisier.

Road noise is annoying, I agree and I used the ratings at Tire Rack to find a quieter tire when I needed replacements on a car I felt had gotten pretty bad in that department. It made a big difference and they stayed quieter over their life than the previous tires. Also, you have a sports vehicle, one that's not really targeted at providing a plush quiet ride but rather a sporty one.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:40 am
bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:33 am

Sure does look like this is a run-flat tire as described in the Technology section. Right next to Run Flat is PNCS, "a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tire, reducing noise by half."

Did the noise double? Or more? Maybe the "device" shook loose. Or maybe de device is out of spec now. Worst case, could it add even more noise when nor functioning properly? They use the term "cancelling", but not active, so looks like mostly sound absorption "foam", so harmful noise appears limited. https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-gu ... on-133119/ (there isn't an active noise cancellation button that was turned off accidentally, was there?; I don't think Macan has ACN)

HOW PNCS™ TIRES WORK
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car ... -with-foam
Technology
RUN FLAT

PNCS

DRIVE WITHOUT PRESSURE
RUN FLAT™ tires mean safety. They provide greater control of the car in emergency conditions and allow you to continue driving safely even during a rapid loss of inflation pressure.

COMFORTABLE DRIVING
The PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM™ (PNCS) is a technology able to reduce the noise inside the vehicle thanks to a sound absorbing device applied to the inside circumferential wall of the tire, reducing noise by half.
The fact that they need to push their "PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM" tells you they have a noise problem. Run flat tires are noisy because of their sidewall design and the rubber compound they need to use to make the tire load bearing when flat. Macan does not have active noise cancelling as an option as far as I know.

If you go on Porsche forums, this is a well known and debated problem. Switch out run flats with softer compound tires and the difference is night and day.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pmThe fact that they need to push their "PIRELLI NOISE CANCELLING SYSTEM" tells you they have a noise problem. Run flat tires are noisy because of their sidewall design and the rubber compound they need to use to make the tire load bearing when flat. Macan does not have active noise cancelling as an option as far as I know.

If you go on Porsche forums, this is a well known and debated problem. Switch out run flats with softer compound tires and the difference is night and day.
Is the well known noise problem same as here: starts quiet and noise grows? Or simply noisy run flats vs regular? If engineering can solve the problem for the early part of the tire life, it holds hope that they can engineer a better mousetrap that lasts longer. There may always be a cost and performance gap, but the benefit of run flat is worth some trade-off if it can be reduced enough. For me, it's quite far off, but if you're spending $100k on a car, an extra $1000 in tires every year isn't necessarily a breaking point, and $200 may be quite tolerable.
GoneCamping wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 pmYour tires have a fairly low rating for noise from reviews at Tire Rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... type=CSTAS). Tires only get noisier with age, especially if not properly maintained i.e. proper pressure, balance, and alignment. Like others have said, be sure to check there isn't noticeably uneven wear. Even with all that they still only get noisier.
Not a large difference in numbers between the regular Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season and the run flat, but that might not reflect the aging effect. I scanned the comments and the differences are bigger there. Treadwear seemed to be a bigger gripe than noise. Also, is there any way to verify that there isn't user confusion about which tire is being reviewed and rated? I suspect that might be an issue here as well.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Van wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 pm I have a 2019 Porsche Macan which I bought new and like very much EXCEPT at 40 mph and above there is excessive tire noise. It really ruins what would otherwise be an enjoyable driving experience. The tires that came with the vehicle are Pirellli brand, not exactly a cheap tire. I only have 12,500 miles on the odometer. What are my options? I hate the thought of buying new tires, something other than Pirellli for sure. Contact the dealer and see if they will do something? What could I hope for? Replacement tires totally at their expense? Replacement tires that I pay for at their cost? Any other suggestions?
Find a special shop, preferably one that does race preparation.

If you have an alignment problem, you may have to have the tires shaved to correct them. They will tell you who to go to for an alignment. DO NOT go to BIG O, Pep Boys or the dealer.

Find your local PCA chapter and ask them about the above.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Rather than buy new tires, it might be worth your time to investigate sound deadening/sound isolation systems/mats/blanket/insulation. You would basically apply these materials in your wheel wells and body panels to deaden the sound.

Here's a video of someone installing these mats in the wheel wells of a Porsche Cayman -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNCLYb3sCc

Here's a video of someone installing these mats in the floorboard and doors of a car -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVF65oGCgZY

I'm sure a high end car audio shop will give you a quote for both or you can investigate DIY if you are into that type of thing.

The benefit of this method vs. new tires is that you have addressed the root cause and it won't matter what tires or how much wear they have because you've made the car impervious to the noise.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

flossy21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm Rather than buy new tires, it might be worth your time to investigate sound deadening/sound isolation systems/mats/blanket/insulation. You would basically apply these materials in your wheel wells and body panels to deaden the sound.

Here's a video of someone installing these mats in the wheel wells of a Porsche Cayman -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDNCLYb3sCc

Here's a video of someone installing these mats in the floorboard and doors of a car -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVF65oGCgZY

I'm sure a high end car audio shop will give you a quote for both or you can investigate DIY if you are into that type of thing.

The benefit of this method vs. new tires is that you have addressed the root cause and it won't matter what tires or how much wear they have because you've made the car impervious to the noise.

I have a Cayman GTS. Trust me, you don't need this stuff. Swap to Pilot Sport 4s and it will be like you are floating on clouds while riding on sticky magnets. All you hear is that flat-6 howl and the exhaust crackling - zero tire noise.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

Thanks everyone. Lots for me to consider.

Some of you have suggested that my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires are run flat tires. This is news to me. I have a spare tire in the trunk and the hardware to change a flat tire. I thought this precluded having run flat tires as manufacturers putting on run flats, such as BMW, have done away with spares.

I have looked up my tires on the Pirelli website, and it is not clear to me if they are run flat or not. Admitedly, I don't know much about tires. So maybe someone else can clear this up. Also, I looked for the usual markings on the tires that are on run flats, and I did not find any.
boglebob321

Post by boglebob321 »

Make sure you are rotating tires every 5000-7500 miles. I had a car that I failed to rotate the tires. The back tires "feathered" and created a loud "smacking" noise against the pavement. I could see what the the tire guy at Discount Tire explained to me after the damage was done. I had to replace the tires and all was good after that.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

bogledogle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm
flossy21 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:55 pm Rather than buy new tires, it might be worth your time to investigate sound deadening/sound isolation systems/mats/blanket/insulation. You would basically apply these materials in your wheel wells and body panels to deaden the sound.

I have a Cayman GTS. Trust me, you don't need this stuff. Swap to Pilot Sport 4s and it will be like you are floating on clouds while riding on sticky magnets. All you hear is that flat-6 howl and the exhaust crackling - zero tire noise.
I have Conti's on mine, they are quiet, but they are new. The previous ones with about 35K miles were a bit noisy.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Any chance the sound started after a tire rotation?

maybe one of the tires is backwards and is creating the noise.

Longshot but never know
Mid-40’s
TheBezzle

Post by TheBezzle »

OP's car has wider tires in the back. Typical front-to-back rotation is not applicable. I guess rotation side to side is hypothetically possible, but not normally done.
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

mortfree wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:57 pm Any chance the sound started after a tire rotation?

maybe one of the tires is backwards and is creating the noise.

Longshot but never know
Certainly possible if they are directional. Look for the arrows on the side walls.
-------->
ROTATION
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Van wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:50 pmSome of you have suggested that my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires are run flat tires. This is news to me. I have a spare tire in the trunk and the hardware to change a flat tire. I thought this precluded having run flat tires as manufacturers putting on run flats, such as BMW, have done away with spares.

I have looked up my tires on the Pirelli website, and it is not clear to me if they are run flat or not. Admitedly, I don't know much about tires. So maybe someone else can clear this up. Also, I looked for the usual markings on the tires that are on run flats, and I did not find any.
Does it say RUN FLAT (after VERDE) on the side wall like the Tirerack photo (look near 1 o'clock)? If you didn't find the marking, then I'd assume it's NOT RUN FLAT. If that's the case, you definitely DO NOT want the RUN FLAT, which has worse reviews.

https://static.tirerack.com/content/dam ... w-pdp-main
GoneCamping wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:40 pm Tire Rack (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyre ... type=CSTAS).
Regular version
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... All+Season

Run Flat version
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... n+Run+Flat
jello_nailer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:48 pmCertainly possible if they are directional.
No indication from the specifications or descriptions that the tire is directional. Rotating different size front and back directional tires is more work requiring unmounting/remounting and rebalancing the tires. Non-directional tires can be swapped side to side, which is similar work to regular rotations.

OP, what size are the tires? The RUN FLAT are available in far fewer sizes, so that might suggest which version you have.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

Re: point raised by Inbox788. My tires do NOT have RUN FLAT just after Verde. So, I think Pirelli makes a non-run flat and a run flat version of my Scorpion Verde All Season tires. The absence of that marking plus the fact that my car came with a spare tire and a jack would indicate that my tires are not run flats. In a way, I'm disappointed, since I was thinking I could just ditch the run flats for some regular tires and that would solve my problem.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

bogledogle recommended Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as a much quieter option. After doing some research on this tire to confirm that it would probably be a quieter option, I was disappointed to find out that it is not available in the sizes on the front or rear of my car. 235/60R18 103V (front) and 255/55R18 105V (rear).
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I do not expect the dealer to “fix” this issue for free, but I suspect many Porsche buyers are the type of person who are apt to complain about issues others would let slide on less expensive vehicles. After all, if you’re spending $100k+ on a car you want it to be perfect. I bet the service department will have some non-free suggestions on how to quiet the car down. In fact, they just may have a service special going on right now for the very issue! :wink:
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

If your tire are too noisy. buy new tires.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Van wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am bogledogle recommended Michelin Pilot Sport 4S as a much quieter option. After doing some research on this tire to confirm that it would probably be a quieter option, I was disappointed to find out that it is not available in the sizes on the front or rear of my car. 235/60R18 103V (front) and 255/55R18 105V (rear).
Moot for the PS4S as you say, but keep in mind on other choices that your current tires are all season. If you got summer tires like PS4S you'd have to switch them out for winter tires in the cold season for safety unless you live somewhere without real cold.

My story might or might not be relevant or in part. The Continental Sport Contact 3 summer tires which came on my BMW M2 started getting noticeably noisier at only around 11k miles. Low and behold, I'd actually worn them down close to replacement level in the rear (though not nearly as much in front). I replaced them with a set of PS4S, though I also have a set of Michelin PA4's for winter (with its own 18" wheels v 19" on the summer set). It's less likely you actually significantly wore down all seasons in 'normal' driving (summer tires wear faster and I drove the M2 pretty hard on remote roads on a long road trip which was most of those mile) but wear is a common reason tires get noisier, and seems like there are sometimes 'special' inferior versions of popular tire model families that come on new cars.

As others stated, Tirerack rating include noise, it can be kind of subjective though. But again the good news is even somewhat worn tires tend to be noisier, a new set will very likely be quieter at first. :happy
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Van wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am235/60R18 103V (front) and 255/55R18 105V (rear).
Based on the speed ratings, they're NOT run flats.

To make matters more confusing, ONLY some of the tires have the Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS). Do you see the PNCS imprint on the sidewall?

Based on the 103V/105V they're only listed as Ecoimpact, so you might find ECOIMPACT and the 4 square logos near the rim below VERDE ALL SEASON (12 o'clock). https://static.tirerack.com/content/dam ... w-pdp-main

I'm guessing the foam is optimized to work best with full thickness tires and as the tire wears down, the benefit goes away (more quickly than desired). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=336

They need to engineer the noise reduction into the tread so it adapts as the tire thins. Michelin brilliantly engineered these EverGrip
tires that expand and expose more groves as the thread wears. (don't know if they work as promised, but they're well rated on tirerack) https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/ ... remier-a-s

Funny that EcoImpact is supposed to be high milage.
Pirelli EcoImpact

Energy Efficient
Clean Air
High Mileage
Low Noise
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=334
apex84

Post by apex84 »

Most tires get louder as they wear. The tread patterns are designed such that the tire noise is self-canceling which works best at full tread depth. Higher performance tires wear more quickly than standard tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is an excellent high performance tire, but probably not the best choice if what you want is a quieter tire rather than maximum traction.

Interestingly, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II (this may not be the exact same as the tires on your vehicle) is highly rated for comfort and the design notes the noise reduction features.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:28 pm
Van wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:56 am235/60R18 103V (front) and 255/55R18 105V (rear).
Based on the speed ratings, they're NOT run flats.

To make matters more confusing, ONLY some of the tires have the Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS). Do you see the PNCS imprint on the sidewall?

Based on the 103V/105V they're only listed as Ecoimpact, so you might find ECOIMPACT and the 4 square logos near the rim below VERDE ALL SEASON (12 o'clock). https://static.tirerack.com/content/dam ... w-pdp-main

I'm guessing the foam is optimized to work best with full thickness tires and as the tire wears down, the benefit goes away (more quickly than desired). https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=336

They need to engineer the noise reduction into the tread so it adapts as the tire thins. Michelin brilliantly engineered these EverGrip
tires that expand and expose more groves as the thread wears. (don't know if they work as promised, but they're well rated on tirerack) https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/ ... remier-a-s

Funny that EcoImpact is supposed to be high milage.
Pirelli EcoImpact

Energy Efficient
Clean Air
High Mileage
Low Noise
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=334
PNCS is NOT on the sidewall. Ecoimpact is on the sidewall. So, it looks like I have regular (not run flat) tires without the noice reduction system.
Topic Author
Van

Post by Van »

Yesterday I took my car to Creamery Tire, a large, well established tire shop in the area that has a very good reputation.

Two folks, one a tire guy and one a mechanic, looked at and felt the tires. They both noted some uneven wear and a couple of choppy areas on 2 of the tires. At that point, both suspected the tires might be the source of the annoying road noise. I asked the mechanic to do a road test. After returning he said he did NOT think the noise was a tire issue. He proceeded to jack up each tire and spin it while feeling behind the tire. Based on that examination he said he did not think it was a problem with a bearing. He suspected that there is some kind of drive train problem.

I asked why he did not think it was a problem with the tires based on the test drive. He made 2 points. When going around a curve the noise did not change despite the wheels being turned to the road, i.e. no longer just tracking straight. Secondly, he noted a reduction in the noise when going over a rise (short bump) in the road. I don't know at this point. It still seems to me like it could be a tire problem, since the level of the noise changes with different types of road surfaces (less noise on rougher, less smooth, surface).

I have made an appointment to take the car to a Porsche dealer and see what they say. "It's always something, Jane", as the late great Gilda Radner was fond of saying.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Van wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:04 amPNCS is NOT on the sidewall. Ecoimpact is on the sidewall. So, it looks like I have regular (not run flat) tires without the noice reduction system.
Image Low Noise icon https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... techid=334

I was thinking the 4th icon was similar to PNCS, but now I'm confused and assume if it's not PNCS, it's not the foam stuff, and just some noise considerations designed into the tire.

apex84 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:48 pmInterestingly, the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II (this may not be the exact same as the tires on your vehicle) is highly rated for comfort and the design notes the noise reduction features.
Yes, it's got good ratings. And it doesn't look like comes in an endless variety of flavors. I was looking at that one for my RX, but unfortunately it doesn't come in the OEM speed rating. I'll see if my installer recommends the one that is available (H vs V?). It does appear to be available in OPs size in the V rating, so it's a good candidate.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... on+Plus+II
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

Van wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:26 am Yesterday I took my car to Creamery Tire, a large, well established tire shop in the area that has a very good reputation.

Two folks, one a tire guy and one a mechanic, looked at and felt the tires. They both noted some uneven wear and a couple of choppy areas on 2 of the tires. At that point, both suspected the tires might be the source of the annoying road noise. I asked the mechanic to do a road test. After returning he said he did NOT think the noise was a tire issue. He proceeded to jack up each tire and spin it while feeling behind the tire. Based on that examination he said he did not think it was a problem with a bearing. He suspected that there is some kind of drive train problem.

I asked why he did not think it was a problem with the tires based on the test drive. He made 2 points. When going around a curve the noise did not change despite the wheels being turned to the road, i.e. no longer just tracking straight. Secondly, he noted a reduction in the noise when going over a rise (short bump) in the road. I don't know at this point. It still seems to me like it could be a tire problem, since the level of the noise changes with different types of road surfaces (less noise on rougher, less smooth, surface).

I have made an appointment to take the car to a Porsche dealer and see what they say. "It's always something, Jane", as the late great Gilda Radner was fond of saying.
But they didn't check the wheel balance or alignment? :annoyed
"Old value investors never die, they just get their fix from rebalancing." -- vineviz