fire pit recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thomas93

fire pit recommendations

Post by Thomas93 »

Anyone have any recommendations on outdoor fire pits? My outdoor backyard space is small. Thanks!
lthenderson

Re: fire pit recommendations

Post by lthenderson »

Depends a lot on your tastes and how you are looking to spend time by the firepit. If you are simply looking for a place to burn some wood and cook the occasional smore, many big box home improvement stores sell fireplace kits containing a steel ring and landscape blocking to decorate the outside of the ring hiding it from view. Some even come with a grill. These kits can be built in an hour and cost $150 and up depending on style. On the flip side, you can pave an area with bluestone and get custom built fire pits with seating that cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Breeo smokeless.

Good quality.
RJC

Post by RJC »

We love using our Solo Stove - efficient, mostly smoke-less, and easy to start.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

We purchased a Breeo X-Series 24" this year.

It's expensive, no question, but it looks and works great. Add the lid and you have a nice cocktail table when not in use.

10/10 would buy again.
Hubris

Post by Hubris »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm We purchased a Breeo X-Series 24" this year.

It's expensive, no question, but it looks and works great. Add the lid and you have a nice cocktail table when not in use.

10/10 would buy again.
+1
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

We got a 19-inch Breeo last summer and love it. We put the lid on when not in use and it stays out all year. We were so surprised how good it is to cook on the rim, and also got the grill kit. It's delightful.

Read the instructions for any model before you buy it. We first considered a Solo, but its manual said you have to put it away in its case between fires. We don't have enough storage space or time to fool with that.

Marylander1
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've been happy with this Biolite unit. It's good in small spaces.

https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/firepit-plus
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

We've had this one for almost 10 years and love it. It's just like sitting around a campfire when you're camping, but without the smoke in your eyes.

https://www.campchef.com/back-patio/fir ... e-pit.html
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We bought this one recently and love it. It comes with bronze fire glass and serves a dual purpose. It can also be used as a space heater, independently or at the same time as the firepit. There are dual controls, hidden behind the door where the 20 pound propane tank goes. It comes with a good quality cover. It's pretty heavy at 104 pounds so you may need two people to flip it over after the easy assembly. It comes with an insert that goes over the fireglass which converts the firepit into a table.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Endless-Sum ... /311670792

We have it down by the lake with a weather proof metal bench and chairs. Great place for a nice glass of wine at sunset.
gogleheads.orb

Post by gogleheads.orb »

Solo stove, very easy to light
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

Are rocks in a circle not an option? Free, classic look, and easy.
ckelly78z

Post by ckelly78z »

We have an area that has several patio chairs, and a large 2-3 person swing that I made a fire pit out of decorative cement blocks that I had on hand. It makes it nice for propping your feet up near the fire on a cool night...the interior dimensions are about 36"x36", and we burn sticks from the yard, and old punky firewood.
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

I'll second rocks in a circle. I heavily dislike the look of artificial/pre-made fire pits. You can even dig out the center some, and once you like your rock setup, use a little mortar (hidden or visible to taste) to bind things together.
five2one

Post by five2one »

Washing machine drum.

I’ve made a couple of them and prefer drums from front loaders. They have a solid bottom with a heavy duty threaded axle shaft.
I bolted it to two car rims and painted it black. I’ve also just laid them on fire proof paving tiles but the rims raised it up for better heat and air flow.

The drums are stainless, lots of holes for draft, and heavy duty.
My cover is an old vertical smoker lid painted to match.
When I have time, I’ll weld foot rests around the rims.
The open diameter fits my weber grill grate perfectly.

Key on the rims is the right height and having the top lip overlap the bottom lip for rain drainage to avoid rust.

I’ll usually run the pit with a couple logs while I’m smoking on the weber. The pit is solid enough that I only have to cut logs to a couple feet to feed it, no more splits.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm big box home improvement stores sell fireplace kits containing a steel ring and landscape blocking to decorate the outside of the ring hiding it from view.
I went this route a few years ago and am very happy with it. Its big enough for several people (6 to 8) to all sit around and get warmth. It raises the fire upto sitting level, you can prop you feet up on the landscape blocks and toast them. The cost is around $200 (I added a 4th course of blocks with one course being buried for the foundation.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
targetconfusion

Post by targetconfusion »

five2one wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am I’ve made a couple of them and prefer drums from front loaders. They have a solid bottom with a heavy duty threaded axle shaft.
I bolted it to two car rims and painted it black. I’ve also just laid them on fire proof paving tiles but the rims raised it up for better heat and air flow.
Cool idea. And Bogleheadish. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of this.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

five2one wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am Washing machine drum.

I’ve made a couple of them and prefer drums from front loaders. They have a solid bottom with a heavy duty threaded axle shaft.

The drums are stainless, lots of holes for draft, and heavy duty.
My cover is an old vertical smoker lid painted to match.
When I have time, I’ll weld foot rests around the rims.
The open diameter fits my weber grill grate perfectly.

Key on the rims is the right height and having the top lip overlap the bottom lip for rain drainage to avoid rust.

I’ll usually run the pit with a couple logs while I’m smoking on the weber. The pit is solid enough that I only have to cut logs to a couple feet to feed it, no more splits.
+1

We have used washer drums for years while beach camping. I have one in my mountain house back yard currently. They don’t “need” legs, but if you want them there are several easy options. Personally I used galvanized pipe. Simply bolted wall/floor flange, with the existing holes in the drum, as a mounting point for the pipe legs.

The smoke free stoves mentioned are great, but basically it was someone taking the concept from a $20 washer drum and marketing it to sell it for $200. A fire in a drum burns exceptionally hot since it call pull air in all directions through the drums drain holes. The hot fire is critical to preventing smoke, and any smoke that is created it whipped straight up because the raising heat creates a vortex. No smoke lingers at head level.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

An old tractor rim works well. My parent's have had the same one in service at their lake house for probably about 25 years now.
Wk1014

Post by Wk1014 »

Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 am An old tractor rim works well. My parent's have had the same one in service at their lake house for probably about 25 years now.
+1 an old Webber grate helps to if he wants to cook on
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

five2one wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 am Washing machine drum.
We use these as burn barrels on the farm. Can't beat all the holes allowing plenty of air circulation.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

RJC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:47 pm We love using our Solo Stove - efficient, mostly smoke-less, and easy to start.
+1 Great product with a lot of flexibility

As for a built in fire pit that is smallish, here is the Wisconsin method- use an inverted tractor trailer wheel rim set in the ground. I had great luck with that at my old house- even cooked on it for the big gatherings.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Wk1014 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:20 am
Onlineid3089 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:04 am An old tractor rim works well. My parent's have had the same one in service at their lake house for probably about 25 years now.
Sorry, didn't see this posted! and as for the Webber, they make a firepit that typically only lasts 4-5 years... I mention that because I found one being thrown out on the side of the road and "recycled" the lid which has served me for 15 years on my firepit and now Solo stove. Had a welder put on new handles and it keeps it dry year round.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

RJC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:47 pm We love using our Solo Stove - efficient, mostly smoke-less, and easy to start.
:thumbsup

Our only complain with our Solo Stove was that it kicked out quite a few sparks, so we got the spark arrestor cover, and that pretty much eliminated the problem. It's clearly very durable and will last for many years. It also produces very few ashes.
ckelly78z wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:37 am We have an area that has several patio chairs, and a large 2-3 person swing that I made a fire pit out of decorative cement blocks that I had on hand. It makes it nice for propping your feet up near the fire on a cool night...the interior dimensions are about 36"x36", and we burn sticks from the yard, and old punky firewood.
You have to be careful with cement blocks. If they aren't porous enough to allow the steam that will form inside to escape, they can explode.
The Sensible Steward
dogperson

Post by dogperson »

If you build your own, be sure to use safe materials like fire brick on the inside. Porous materials can explode hot masonry bits all over you.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/building-a-fire-pit/
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I would have gotten an open firepit for our yard but there are many times during the summer in our location when burn bans are in effect for open fires, making them useless.

Instead I picked up a propane fire ring at Lowes that we use frequently. It takes a regular propane cylinder which stores inside and has an auto push button ignition like a gas BBQ. Puts out plenty of flame and decent heat for summertime use. And about 20x cheaper than hiring a contractor to run a natural gas line underground from the house out to the patio area.

We can use the propane fire ring when burn bans are in effect. They only apply to open wood fires.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Hubris wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:21 pm
Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm We purchased a Breeo X-Series 24" this year.

10/10 would buy again.
+1
+1

I love burning wood, but usually the smoke is horrible on our allergies and eyes. We just purchased the Breeo last week, and so far love it! There is still smoke starting the fire, but once the fire is going and you spread out the embers around to heat the outside, I was amazed what a difference it makes. I could add logs without any issues with the smoke!

The Solo Stove works similarly, but isn't built to withstand the elements. We wanted something we could leave in place, not bag and move inside when not using, so we went with the Breeo.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

+1 We have a Yukon.

Cheers
five2one

Post by five2one »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm
Wk1014 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:20 am
Sorry, didn't see this posted! and as for the Webber, they make a firepit that typically only lasts 4-5 years... I mention that because I found one being thrown out on the side of the road and "recycled" the lid which has served me for 15 years on my firepit and now Solo stove. Had a welder put on new handles and it keeps it dry year round.
Fyi that weber makes different grill qualities.

The average “big box” stores like HD have a lighter weight grill with thinner bars. I have the higher grade grill grate that is mich thicker and hasn’t warped at all after 3 yrs of use.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

brokendirtdart wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:25 am Are rocks in a circle not an option? Free, classic look, and easy.
This is what I did and it worked fine. One thing I discovered though - some rocks actually fracture when exposed to the prolonged heat!
43% Total Stock Market | 53% Consumer Staples | 4% Short Term Reserves
socaldude

Post by socaldude »

I have a large chiminea and it works great. Highly recommended.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

socaldude wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm I have a large chiminea and it works great. Highly recommended.
We have one and used it for a long time but discovered the fire pit is so much more enjoyable. First only a few people can sit around the chiminea and it doesnt put out much heat except in the front. Most of the rest of the heat goes out the chimney.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

My son bought a kit. Left over pieces of granitefrom a kitchen installer. Basically just made a flat sand pit, then glued a couple hundred pre-cut pieces of granite into circles, making the cylinder of the pit. It was beautiful, durable, maintenance free. Then he moved. :oops:
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »