Too many Costco returns?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Too many Costco returns?

Post by Kennedy »

I returned two same-model laptops to Costco within the past couple of months due to different malfunction reasons. Within this same time period, I also returned a handful of clothes that didn't fit as well as a couple of miscellaneous items. This number of returns is unusual for me.

I know Costco will accept returns for pretty much any reason, with some date-related restrictions with regard to electronics. However, I'm guessing there is a line somewhere, and I don't want to cross it as I value my Costco membership.

I really need a new laptop, and my preference is to purchase a different model from Costco. However, I'm a little gun-shy with regard to buying (and having to return) another turkey.

Is this a valid concern or is there some sort of "due process" procedure where I could explain my case if Costco tries to ban me?
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Re: Too many Costco returns?

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

There's probably a limit somewhere, but I'm pretty sure Costco will *always* honor their policies, and at worst, will cancel the membership.

I have absolutely no compulsions about returning things to Costco or Amazon.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein | *Everything I write here is an unreliable opinion*
nocturne

Post by nocturne »

There are policies in place to prevent abuse. It sounds like you are careful about returns so I doubt you are at all approaching those limits.

The return policy says to return anything you’re not fully satisfied with. I see no reason to do anything less. After all, I pay for this service to the tune of >$1000 in membership fees over 20 years.

Last week I returned a 20 lb opened bag of cat food. I thought it would be a good value, but my cats didn’t agree. So I wasn’t satisfied with that purchase. Costco took the return with a smile, and then I left the warehouse with $200 of new purchases.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

nocturne wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:50 pm There are policies in place to prevent abuse.
At my Costco the log line for returns is enough to prevent abuse!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Costco will change the rules for blatant abuse. A co-worker of mine is a projection TV nut and must have the latest projector. He would buy one at Costco and as soon as the next, updated version came out, he'd pack up the one he had, return it and buy the latest version. Because these things were updated several times a year, he was returning them on the same several month cycle. Costco enacted a rule that the projectors could only be exchanged....not returned.

Makes perfect sense to me. I expect Costco does the same thing that Amazon does with returns. No, they don't resell the returned item. They stack them up on a pallet and auction off the pallet. Huge loss for Costco. My son used to work for Best Buy who doesn't even do this. Returns and even display items like TVs are thrown into the crusher when the new version comes in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:25 am I expect Costco does the same thing that Amazon does with returns. No, they don't resell the returned item. They stack them up on a pallet and auction off the pallet. Huge loss for Costco. My son used to work for Best Buy who doesn't even do this. Returns and even display items like TVs are thrown into the crusher when the new version comes in.
First of all, Best Buy absolutely resells returned items. They have a pretty substantial business selling "open box" items at a discount, both in store and online. They describe anything missing and offer a return policy if you're not happy, so it's a decent way to save a few bucks.

As for Costco, my understanding is that they just charge returns back to the vendors. They don't care if you return too much except that their vendors will get irritable if the numbers are too high. Would like a confirmation, but a couple random Google results seem to agree with this.
Fired2020

Post by Fired2020 »

My guess would be that Costco doesn't much care how much you're returning. They have so much leverage with their suppliers that they likely receive a 100% credit on returns, and probably don't jump through any hoops to do so. I'd go ahead & buy another lap-top from Costco. Their warranty is bullet proof, especially if you purchase it with their credit card.
CloudNine33

Post by CloudNine33 »

Costco and all big retailers make vendors eat the returns. Part of doing business with the largest retailers in the world. I have done business with many firms who say they only deal with Walmart for the brand exposure and volume but make close to zero profit with them. If you don't like their policies there are countless vendors wanting your shelf space.