My Next Car: Tesla S vs BMW 540iX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cruise

My Next Car: Tesla S vs BMW 540iX

Post by Cruise »

Hoping that the auto enthusiast crowd here might provide some insights into a decision I am considering: Whether to make my next car purchase a Tesla S Long Range ($75K) or a BMW 540iX ($69K as equipped). Price really is not a factor in the decision.

Pluses for the Tesla:

Electric- charged by my solar system, basically no cost for "gas"
Low Maintenance
My friends who have it love it

Minuses for the Tesla:

Latest and more distant Consumer Reports show reliability issues

Pluses for the BMW:

Latest Consumer Reports show the car aces the reliability measures
Good experience with my wife's 3 series model

Minuses for BMW:

BMW seems to have variable reliability scores over the years.
Higher long-term maintenance costs

I'd appreciate feedback from the BH auto enthusiast crowd (defined as anyone who opened this thread).

Many thanks.
HMSVictory

Re: My Next Car: Tesla S vs BMW 540iX

Post by HMSVictory »

Clearly you have the means if price is not an issue.... drive both and get the one you like better.

My dad had a 540i M package years ago and it was one of the best driving cars I have ever driven. I'd go with the 5 series!
Stay the course!
Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 »

If you want a blend and no immediate rush to get it, check out BMW i4. All electric and likely better fit/finish than Tesla. I have a few years left on my car, but am watching the new and developing EVs closely.

As for exactly between those two, I would agree with driving and sitting in both. I did the Tesla a couple years ago and was not impressed with the build truthfully.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Sgal8713 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm If you want a blend and no immediate rush to get it, check out BMW i4. All electric and likely better fit/finish than Tesla. I have a few years left on my car, but am watching the new and developing EVs closely.

As for exactly between those two, I would agree with driving and sitting in both. I did the Tesla a couple years ago and was not impressed with the build truthfully.
Another plus for the i4 is BMW should still be eligible for the federal tax credit of $7,500.
We plan. G-d laughs.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Apples and oranges. I'd get the BMW with the thought in mind that it is a well-engineered and fine-performing car which might be my last equipped with an internal combustion engine as electric vehicles and their supporting infrastructure mature and improve. Tesla seems to evoke strong loyalty from many owners, but quality is said to be generally poor and the rapid evolution of the genre might suggest obsolescence sooner rather than later.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Test drive both cars, make the decision based off that.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

If you have another ICE car in the family (your wife's BMW) to handle long trips, then moving one car to electric is the way to go... Given your price point, I'd expand my search on the EV side beyond Tesla... Audi, Jag, Porsche, even high end Volvo...

Mike
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

Drive the Model 3 and the Model S. While the S has a few more luxury aspects, the 3 is a better drive.
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

Both cars you are considering are excellent. I used to own a BMW and currently own a Tesla Model 3 Performance . Having owned both, here are some factors I would consider:

1) As for reliability issues re Tesla, I have not had any. Yes, the fit and finish are not quite up to BMW's standards, but they have improved a great deal. As long as you live relatively close to a local Tesla Service Center, I would not be terribly concerned about Tesla reliability issues. I would however be concerned about owning a BMW beyond the first 4 years (i.e. out of warranty). I personally had many problems with my BMW and so far zero with my Tesla.

2) Since you are a driving enthusiast, you might want to consider the Porche Taycan. A rear-wheel drive base model is now available for around the same price point as the Model S. An all wheel drive version is available but comes at a much higher price. It is a truly amazing car. It is an EV and a fine German automobile with excellent acceleration and handling.

3) If you plan on getting an EV AND you plan on taking the car on road trips, do take Tesla's Supercharger network into account. Yes, there are many new EV's on the market, but so far Tesla's network is so much better than that of any other manufacturer. Because Tesla owns and operates all Superchargers, they work easily and very reliably. Networks like Electrify America and EV-Go sometimes have compatibility issues with different makes and models. I have gone on at least 5 long road trips in my Tesla and the Superchargers have worked flawlessly each time.

4) The Model S is about to get a major interior redesign. I would personally hold off on buying any Tesla right after a major redesign of any kind. I would let Tesla work out the kinks with the first 20-30 K before buying one.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

HMSVictory wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:29 pm My dad had a 540i M package years ago and it was one of the best driving cars I have ever driven. I'd go with the 5 series!
Good to hear this. Thank you.
Sgal8713 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm If you want a blend and no immediate rush to get it, check out BMW i4. All electric and likely better fit/finish than Tesla. I have a few years left on my car, but am watching the new and developing EVs closely.

Thanks for mentioning the i4 version. I'll check that out. I'm not planning on making a purchase soon.
MishkaWorries wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 pm Another plus for the i4 is BMW should still be eligible for the federal tax credit of $7,500.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful.
GmanJeff wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm Apples and oranges. I'd get the BMW with the thought in mind that it is a well-engineered and fine-performing car which might be my last equipped with an internal combustion engine as electric vehicles and their supporting infrastructure mature and improve. Tesla seems to evoke strong loyalty from many owners, but quality is said to be generally poor and the rapid evolution of the genre might suggest obsolescence sooner rather than later.
Thank you for your insights. This could be my last car, depending on how I age. :) Reliability is very important to me.
squirm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:33 pm Test drive both cars, make the decision based off that.
I'll do that. Thanks.
fabdog wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:53 pm If you have another ICE car in the family (your wife's BMW) to handle long trips, then moving one car to electric is the way to go... Given your price point, I'd expand my search on the EV side beyond Tesla... Audi, Jag, Porsche, even high end Volvo...

Mike
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll net to cast my net further.
bwalling wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 pm Drive the Model 3 and the Model S. While the S has a few more luxury aspects, the 3 is a better drive.
Thank you for the suggestion.
joebruin77 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 pm Both cars you are considering are excellent. I used to own a BMW and currently own a Tesla Model 3 Performance . Having owned both, here are some factors I would consider:

1) As for reliability issues re Tesla, I have not had any. Yes, the fit and finish are not quite up to BMW's standards, but they have improved a great deal. As long as you live relatively close to a local Tesla Service Center, I would not be terribly concerned about Tesla reliability issues. I would however be concerned about owning a BMW beyond the first 4 years (i.e. out of warranty). I personally had many problems with my BMW and so far zero with my Tesla.

2) Since you are a driving enthusiast, you might want to consider the Porche Taycan. A rear-wheel drive base model is now available for around the same price point as the Model S. An all wheel drive version is available but comes at a much higher price. It is a truly amazing car. It is an EV and a fine German automobile with excellent acceleration and handling.

3) If you plan on getting an EV AND you plan on taking the car on road trips, do take Tesla's Supercharger network into account. Yes, there are many new EV's on the market, but so far Tesla's network is so much better than that of any other manufacturer. Because Tesla owns and operates all Superchargers, they work easily and very reliably. Networks like Electrify America and EV-Go sometimes have compatibility issues with different makes and models. I have gone on at least 5 long road trips in my Tesla and the Superchargers have worked flawlessly each time.

4) The Model S is about to get a major interior redesign. I would personally hold off on buying any Tesla right after a major redesign of any kind. I would let Tesla work out the kinks with the first 20-30 K before buying one.
Thanks for your insights. After reading your post, I looked at the Taycan. Very impressive. I am aware about the Model S interior redesign: They have shifted to a airplane-line steering wheel which seems quite odd. Will need to see how that plays out.
runswithscissors

Post by runswithscissors »

Curious as to how your PV system will provide that much additional output (beyond your home's consumption) to cover all the charging needs of the Tesla. Did you purposely oversize the PV system significantly in anticipation of buying an EV?
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

If you want to keep your car beyond warranty, you might want to get an EV. If you can wait, go for electrified 5-series. Tesla cannot hold candle to BMW 5 series even F10 craftsmanship; It's careless assembly and sloppy/shameful/embarrassed quality assurance for example:
misaligned body panels
interior panels
visible black glue line under the roof
crooked leather seat stitches on and on
But, drive (acceleration and handling) and function are best designed IMO as well as center screen (best positioned, easy to use for navigation), motor and battery. If Tesla had Audi, BMW, type of craftsmanship, I'd love to be a repeated Tesla customer again in the future. But if Audi, Lexus, BMW, etc. has EV with center screen positioned and functioned like Tesla, I'd love to own one.
So far, my Model S has only 1 infamous malfunction: rear door handle no longer pop out. Motor, drive unit breaks are still solid.
BMW ICE leaks after 90K miles be it expansion/reservoir tank, radiator hose, gasket, etc. I had a 550i (it was my dream car back in the day) with >100K miles on it. Literally, it leaks wherever there's silicone gasket, rubber hose contacting with hot engine block It's due to tight compartment and high temperature. Notorious problems that I've gotten them all: alternator gasket leak ($9 part, 8 hours for me to disassemble from front bumper to power steering unit to access bolts of the bracket), oil pan leak, valve cover gaskets leak, coolant pipe leak, expansion tank leak (twice), radiator hose broke (twice), etc.
Good luck
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

runswithscissors wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:22 pm Curious as to how your PV system will provide that much additional output (beyond your home's consumption) to cover all the charging needs of the Tesla. Did you purposely oversize the PV system significantly in anticipation of buying an EV?
While I can definitely tell which days I plug in the car to charge, it's not a huge consumption on my electric bill / solar. I use about an extra 40-50 kWh on the days I charge. Looking back at the usage on my solar array and electric bill, this happens once every five days or so on average. So, about 240-300 kWh per month. There are also local places with free chargers you can use while there (Whole Foods, the mall, etc).

(Note that while it can use 100 kWh to fully charge, you don't normally charge the battery to 100% because it's not good for it, and you usually just plug it in when you remember to, which is rarely when it's fully depleted.)

(Also of note, I work from home and don't have a commute. I have a few places of longer distance that I drive 3 days per week (40 miles round trip), plus smaller local stuff.)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

joebruin77 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 pm
This is a great suggestion. I was at a Porsche dealer last Friday, test driving a Cayman and the dealer was littered with Taycans of all varieties. I'd expect that unlike a wait-to-build time of a Tesla, you could go to the dealer today and drive the Taycan home tonight.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
tm3

Post by tm3 »

IMO it all boils down to how much value you put on the EV factor. A lot, and the shortcomings of the Tesla won't seem so bad. Not much, and the BMW takes the lead.
bagle

Post by bagle »

tm3 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 am IMO it all boils down to how much value you put on the EV factor. A lot, and the shortcomings of the Tesla won't seem so bad. Not much, and the BMW takes the lead.
+1. As a Tesla owner (M3) and former BMW owner, I appreciate Tesla's strengths such as instant torque but miss BMW's quality control and fit and finish.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Cruise wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:19 pm Hoping that the auto enthusiast crowd here might provide some insights into a decision I am considering: Whether to make my next car purchase a Tesla S Long Range ($75K) or a BMW 540iX ($69K as equipped). Price really is not a factor in the decision.

Pluses for the Tesla:

Electric- charged by my solar system, basically no cost for "gas"
Low Maintenance
My friends who have it love it

Minuses for the Tesla:

Latest and more distant Consumer Reports show reliability issues

Pluses for the BMW:

Latest Consumer Reports show the car aces the reliability measures
Good experience with my wife's 3 series model

Minuses for BMW:

BMW seems to have variable reliability scores over the years.
Higher long-term maintenance costs

I'd appreciate feedback from the BH auto enthusiast crowd (defined as anyone who opened this thread).

Many thanks.
I understand there are significant range upgrades to the S right now. If I was considering a large format EV, I would go with the S for sure. I have a 3 and personally don’t need the larger car, but sure can appreciate it. Tesla has the best experience and infrastructure.

But honestly, as long you are buying a car with a plug, you are making a difference and there are tons of public charging options. Http://plugshare.com

You can’t go wrong with a plug in car.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

GmanJeff wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:55 pm Apples and oranges. I'd get the BMW with the thought in mind that it is a well-engineered and fine-performing car which might be my last equipped with an internal combustion engine as electric vehicles and their supporting infrastructure mature and improve. Tesla seems to evoke strong loyalty from many owners, but quality is said to be generally poor and the rapid evolution of the genre might suggest obsolescence sooner rather than later.
Yeah, we use our 'lead' car mainly for long road trips. Right now it's a BMW M2 and 540 is too big for my taste (the engineers make a heroic effort, but there's no way a car that big can feel like an M2 on tight mountain/canyon road curves). But between the two mentioned, the BMW absolutely. Others may appreciate the 'adventure' in finding charging stations on long road trips (including 'we didn't want to go there anyway' for the many areas off the Interstates with almost none) or sitting around waiting for the thing to charge ('get to know people!'): not interested.

If we were using the car for pretty much strictly local trips, and it was practical to charge it at home (we have no garage or driveway, it would have to be an extension cord across the sidewalk...the limited times when we can get a space right in front of the house) then it would be a real competition.

The thread is mainly refreshingly honest though, not the usual bashing of BMW for reliability, v the brand pretty consistently at or near the bottom of CR's reliability list, Tesla.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

The BMW turbo inline 6 (B58) in the 540 is the only modern engine from BMW that I would be comfortable owning out of warranty. Also, there is a big difference in depreciation between a new BMW and a Tesla, a 5 series BMW will lose 65-75% of it's value after 3 years, while the Tesla will probably lose half that or less.

As someone who has owned multiple BMWs, I like the brand, but I've always bought "pre-depreciated" BMWs that are 3-4 years old and 75% off MSRP, I would never buy a new one. If your buying new, it's easy, get the Tesla.

As for other electric cars, I don't think there is a comparison at this time. With Tesla, you are getting their charging network as part of the package which is a big deal if your not just using the car around town.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Tesla all the way and I say this having BMWs for a while now. The technology is so much better that once you drive one, you'll never go back to ICE cars.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

RJC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am Tesla all the way and I say this having BMWs for a while now. The technology is so much better that once you drive one, you'll never go back to ICE cars.
+1

For about the same money, no contest, get the Tesla.

I might consider buying a 5-10 year old BMW3 series for 10k, if you wanted to be thrifty and don’t mind owning an older car, but I wouldn’t buy a new one
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Post by 837373684 »

bagle wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:54 am
tm3 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 am IMO it all boils down to how much value you put on the EV factor. A lot, and the shortcomings of the Tesla won't seem so bad. Not much, and the BMW takes the lead.
+1. As a Tesla owner (M3) and former BMW owner, I appreciate Tesla's strengths such as instant torque but miss BMW's quality control and fit and finish.
This. Drove 535i xdrive from 2012 until 2017. Have missed that car every day since. Have been driving model X since 2012. It’s an extremely reliable and boring car. Added a X5 40i last Wednesday and it’s like returning home.
Still the Tesla is a very good car, but I needed something with more utility.
CorradoJr

Post by CorradoJr »

I am very interested in the i4 myself as my current 340 Gran Turismo (GT) is coming off lease this fall. That being said...

Unfortunately, the i4 is currently vaporware with a 2022 US release. If anything like the laughable rollout of the Mercedes EQC, I would expect a date, then a few delays, then pushed to Europe only (as they are "more ready for an EV"), then possibly another delay. Figure late 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.
Topic Author
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

runswithscissors wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:22 pm Curious as to how your PV system will provide that much additional output (beyond your home's consumption) to cover all the charging needs of the Tesla. Did you purposely oversize the PV system significantly in anticipation of buying an EV?
Good question. We did not purposely oversize the system for an EV. The reality of my driving routine is that I may average 5-10 miles a day driving, except for a biweekly 40-mile roundtrip for a golf outing. My longest trip might be 120 mile roundtrip bimonthly. So, there is room for my low-mileage routine.
Glasgow wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:13 am If you want to keep your car beyond warranty, you might want to get an EV. If you can wait, go for electrified 5-series. Tesla cannot hold candle to BMW 5 series even F10 craftsmanship; It's careless assembly and sloppy/shameful/embarrassed quality assurance for example:
misaligned body panels
interior panels
visible black glue line under the roof
crooked leather seat stitches on and on
But, drive (acceleration and handling) and function are best designed IMO as well as center screen (best positioned, easy to use for navigation), motor and battery. If Tesla had Audi, BMW, type of craftsmanship, I'd love to be a repeated Tesla customer again in the future. But if Audi, Lexus, BMW, etc. has EV with center screen positioned and functioned like Tesla, I'd love to own one.
So far, my Model S has only 1 infamous malfunction: rear door handle no longer pop out. Motor, drive unit breaks are still solid.
BMW ICE leaks after 90K miles be it expansion/reservoir tank, radiator hose, gasket, etc. I had a 550i (it was my dream car back in the day) with >100K miles on it. Literally, it leaks wherever there's silicone gasket, rubber hose contacting with hot engine block It's due to tight compartment and high temperature. Notorious problems that I've gotten them all: alternator gasket leak ($9 part, 8 hours for me to disassemble from front bumper to power steering unit to access bolts of the bracket), oil pan leak, valve cover gaskets leak, coolant pipe leak, expansion tank leak (twice), radiator hose broke (twice), etc.
Good luck
Thanks for sharing your insights. I have a few years of research to make a decision. There really seems to be a tradeoff between simplicity of EV/poor craftsmanship and the drive-ability/short-term durability of the BMW.
Thank you. I'm a big one for reliability and keeping a car for 10+ years. That being said, having a fun car to drive is important.
bagle wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:54 am
Thanks. If you had it to do all over, would you still buy a Tesla?
FoolStreet wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:56 am I understand there are significant range upgrades to the S right now. If I was considering a large format EV, I would go with the S for sure. I have a 3 and personally don’t need the larger car, but sure can appreciate it. Tesla has the best experience and infrastructure.

But honestly, as long you are buying a car with a plug, you are making a difference and there are tons of public charging options. Http://plugshare.com

You can’t go wrong with a plug in car.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
JackoC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:14 am Yeah, we use our 'lead' car mainly for long road trips. Right now it's a BMW M2 and 540 is too big for my taste (the engineers make a heroic effort, but there's no way a car that big can feel like an M2 on tight mountain/canyon road curves). But between the two mentioned, the BMW absolutely. Others may appreciate the 'adventure' in finding charging stations on long road trips (including 'we didn't want to go there anyway' for the many areas off the Interstates with almost none) or sitting around waiting for the thing to charge ('get to know people!'): not interested.

If we were using the car for pretty much strictly local trips, and it was practical to charge it at home (we have no garage or driveway, it would have to be an extension cord across the sidewalk...the limited times when we can get a space right in front of the house) then it would be a real competition.

The thread is mainly refreshingly honest though, not the usual bashing of BMW for reliability, v the brand pretty consistently at or near the bottom of CR's reliability list, Tesla.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've gotten a lot of good information in this thread. We have a garage, PV, and mostly do local driving. But I hate the idea of buying a vehicle that has really poor CR reliability ratings!
hoofaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:15 am The BMW turbo inline 6 (B58) in the 540 is the only modern engine from BMW that I would be comfortable owning out of warranty. Also, there is a big difference in depreciation between a new BMW and a Tesla, a 5 series BMW will lose 65-75% of it's value after 3 years, while the Tesla will probably lose half that or less.

As someone who has owned multiple BMWs, I like the brand, but I've always bought "pre-depreciated" BMWs that are 3-4 years old and 75% off MSRP, I would never buy a new one. If your buying new, it's easy, get the Tesla.

As for other electric cars, I don't think there is a comparison at this time. With Tesla, you are getting their charging network as part of the package which is a big deal if your not just using the car around town.
Thank you for sharing your ideas. I've never purchased a used car, and don't think I'll start now. Just not in my DNA, but appreciate those who can do it and save! Good to hear the BMW B58 engine is a winner.
RJC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:41 am Tesla all the way and I say this having BMWs for a while now. The technology is so much better that once you drive one, you'll never go back to ICE cars.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really did enjoy driving a friend's Model S.
tiburblium wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 pm
+1

For about the same money, no contest, get the Tesla.

I might consider buying a 5-10 year old BMW3 series for 10k, if you wanted to be thrifty and don’t mind owning an older car, but I wouldn’t buy a new one
Thanks for your input.
837373684 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:46 pm This. Drove 535i xdrive from 2012 until 2017. Have missed that car every day since. Have been driving model X since 2012. It’s an extremely reliable and boring car. Added a X5 40i last Wednesday and it’s like returning home.
Still the Tesla is a very good car, but I needed something with more utility.
Thank for your thoughts. Interesting to me that there seems to be a lot of people who are fans of both BMW and Tesla.
CorradoJr wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm I am very interested in the i4 myself as my current 340 Gran Turismo (GT) is coming off lease this fall. That being said...

Unfortunately, the i4 is currently vaporware with a 2022 US release. If anything like the laughable rollout of the Mercedes EQC, I would expect a date, then a few delays, then pushed to Europe only (as they are "more ready for an EV"), then possibly another delay. Figure late 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.
Will need to keep that i4 in mind and see how long it is worthwhile to keep my current vehicle. Thank you.
aqan

Post by aqan »

squirm wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:33 pm Test drive both cars, make the decision based off that.
OP if you haven’t driven both the cars (ideally on the same day) then you’re wasting your time posting this. The biggest deciding factor IMHO (besides the price) is the driving experience, especially for two fine automobiles like Tesla and BMW.
Just my two cents.

Edit: my wife was totally against electric until she drove Tesla:)
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

aqan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm
OP if you haven’t driven both the cars (ideally on the same day) then you’re wasting your time posting this. The biggest deciding factor IMHO (besides the price) is the driving experience, especially for two fine automobiles like Tesla and BMW.
Just my two cents.

Edit: my wife was totally against electric until she drove Tesla:)
It's hard to get a feel for the Tesla in a test drive. I spend a lot of my time in it not driving. I like the M3 because I like driving. It's somewhat tempting to own two cars - the Tesla for when I don't want to be bothered with traffic and driving, and the M3 for when I want to drive.