Uber ride — how to be sure windows will open?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

Uber ride — how to be sure windows will open?

Post by rjbraun »

I recently ordered an Uber only to learn that the backseat windows did not open. I think they were not designed to open, it wasn’t that they were not working. While the windows in the front seat opened, that wasn’t so helpful as a solid clear divider separated the two sections. Fortunately, the driver accommodated our request to open the sliding doors in the backseat when stopped at a light. But I will need to order another Uber in a few days and want to avoid one with non-functioning windows (for covid / airflow reasons).

Is there a way to know in advance what the window situation will be? I haven’t seen anything to suggest this, though it would be nice. Otherwise, is there a way to contact Uber to inquire? I’ve tried in vain for e-mail or phone contact information but am hoping someone on the forum may have experience with this.

Thanks in advance.
muddgirl

Re: Uber ride — how to be sure windows will open?

Post by muddgirl »

When the ride is booked you can call the driver and ask them if their back windows open. If not you should be able to cancel the ride for free if it within a certain number of minutes of booking. This was Uber's recommendation for any kind of accommodation we needed in the past. It has been over a year since I last booked a ride share so I don't know if anything has changed.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I have rarely used Uber, but when I have I can text the driver and cancel if the car is not to my liking. Usually there is another car in the vicinity. You might practice right now and request a ride and cancel it.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

There's no way to know this in advance as Uber cars don't accept your ride request until you make it (remember these are just individuals with their own cars) . However, it is appropriate to text or call the driver and ask. They'd rather have you cancel right then than come find you first.
rob

Post by rob »

rjbraun wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 pm I recently ordered an Uber only to learn that the backseat windows did not open. I think they were not designed to open, it wasn’t that they were not working.
I cannot think of a normal 4-door car with no window controls but possible I guess. Just contact the driver from the app once they accept the ride. If you cancel and the hit you with the cancel fee, just respond that your not comfortable with no ventilation in the car and they will reverse the fee.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

rob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:05 pm
rjbraun wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:29 pm I recently ordered an Uber only to learn that the backseat windows did not open. I think they were not designed to open, it wasn’t that they were not working.
I cannot think of a normal 4-door car with no window controls but possible I guess. Just contact the driver from the app once they accept the ride. If you cancel and the hit you with the cancel fee, just respond that your not comfortable with no ventilation in the car and they will reverse the fee.
OP said the driver opened the sliding door at a stop. Sounds like a mini van. I don't know if mini van windows open, never having owned one.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

It wasn't a normal 4-door car. While I ordered a sedan car, the car that arrived seemed to be an SUV. My understanding is that an SUV would normally cost more (I think the next step up in pricing), but, frankly, it looked like an older model. In looking earlier today for Uber contact information, I think I saw that Uber specifies a more recent vehicle model for the higher-priced rides. So, even though it was an SUV maybe because it was an earlier model year they just charged the sedan rate. Just a guess.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. Makes sense to contact the driver immediately upon ride confirmation to inquire about the windows. I guess I 'blanked' on that possibility so appreciate people steering me in that direction!
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:12 pm
OP said the driver opened the sliding door at a stop. Sounds like a mini van. I don't know if mini van windows open, never having owned one.
Right. I'm not particularly into cars, so I don't know if it was, technically, an SUV or a mini van. I think it just had the 'back seat' where we sat, and then an open area in the back, kind of like what I think of as the back seat of a station wagon (if those are even still made). But I guess it's possible that back section could be converted into yet another row of seating (though likely quite tight), not sure.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Maybe I've watched too many horror movies, but I immediately assumed you were worried the driver would pump poisonous gas into the back seat area. A valid concern in Bogleheadland, I guess.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:41 pm Maybe I've watched too many horror movies, but I immediately assumed you were worried the driver would pump poisonous gas into the back seat area. A valid concern in Bogleheadland, I guess.
I would have assumed it was so after some heavy drinking, someone could vomit out the window.
Uber charges you an extra cleaning fee if you spew inside the car.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:41 pm Maybe I've watched too many horror movies, but I immediately assumed you were worried the driver would pump poisonous gas into the back seat area. A valid concern in Bogleheadland, I guess.
Like in the movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Proof? 🥵 ...

- Ron
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Ron wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 pm
Like in the movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Proof? 🥵 ...

- Ron
Not the one I'm thinking of - saw something fairly recently where that was the modus mortis.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Yeah, I can't think of a sedan where the back don't roll down.
kelway

Post by kelway »

I think one out of a thousand four-door cars have non-functioning rear windows and you've already had yours for a lifetime. Don't worry.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

squirm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 pm
Some drivers might accidentally press the "window lock" button on the door panel that disables the window controls at the passenger seats, and not even know they did it.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

tim1999 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Some drivers might accidentally press the "window lock" button on the door panel that disables the window controls at the passenger seats, and not even know they did it.
OP was riding in a mini van. It was very common for the sliding door on the side to not be able to roll down the window in older ones.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 am
tim1999 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm
OP was riding in a mini van. It was very common for the sliding door on the side to not be able to roll down the window in older ones.
or an SUV formerly used as a police vehicle where it is common to remove rear window functionality.