Best nonstick pans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

Best nonstick pans?

Post by texasdiver »

I have a kitchen drawer full of various nonstick frying pans from Costco Kirkland signature to various other expensive and inexpensive options. None of them are really very good.

Does anyone have recommendations for the very best nonstick pans for eggs, stir fries, and other uses? Cost is not really an objective (within reason). I just don't want to waste money on yet another mediocre pan.
canderson

Re: Best nonstick pans?

Post by canderson »

Big fan of Made In pots, pans and dinnerware They have several nonstick pans and woks that I have and all are quite excellent.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Have you tried cast iron? I find that even with non-stick pans, heat management is key to making food not stick.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Best to treat as disposable.

We just buy a 10” Calaphon (sp?) from Target for around $20 and replace it every few years.

But I will say that the last one we bought in 2019 shows no scratches or loss of non-stickage yet.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

After reading online ratings, I bought a Tramontina pan for eggs and have been happy.
People here have mentioned the brand and were pleased with them.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I always check wirecutter for rewiews https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... stick-pan/
Mary
femgineer

Post by femgineer »

I'll second cast iron and maybe carbon steel for frying applications. I mainly use non-stick for reheating, but it's usu not necessary.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I've been using Scanpan for my nonstick pans for the last twelve years. No other nonstick pan comes close. I also own cast iron and stainless steel pans for those occasions when I want a good sear. Each pan works well for its intended purpose.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Is your objective to have food slide off the pan cleanly, like when making omelettes? Or just to minimize hassle when doing dishes? Because I'll say, when I discovered nylon "steel wool" rags it was life changing.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

another vote for Lodge - cast iron

I got tired of throwing away teflon-coated pans.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 pm Best to treat as disposable.

We just buy a 10” Calaphon (sp?) from Target for around $20 and replace it every few years.

But I will say that the last one we bought in 2019 shows no scratches or loss of non-stickage yet.
+1

T-Fal from Walmart for around $20 or so. After a couple of years it doesn't owe me anything.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
reisner

Post by reisner »

Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pans.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:56 pm I've been using Scanpan for my nonstick pans for the last twelve years. No other nonstick pan comes close. I also own cast iron and stainless steel pans for those occasions when I want a good sear. Each pan works well for its intended purpose.
Quite happy with our Scanpan as well. We use a silicone spatula with it. I expect it to last for a long time.
camillus

Post by camillus »

I really, really want to like cast iron.

I find however that they are a pain to clean and re-season. There are a few more steps. I find myself reaching for other pans more often when I need to make dinner happen...
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
Teague

Post by Teague »

This pops up here from time to time. I'm in the "treat it as disposable" camp, replace every 2 years approx. Votes for cast iron and carbon steel often appear, but I think for eggs or fish nothing works as well as PTFE and its cousins. Just don't have your parakeet near the pan when you seriously overheat it to smoking, but other than that it's great stuff.
Semper Augustus
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Also frustrated with our non-stick pans - just went on the Tramontina website and ordered a new one - hope this one will last longer than the 2 previous ones. Thanks for posting the reviews!
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Can you tell us what problems you are having with the pans you have? Sometimes it's not the non-stick part of the pan that's a problem. (it also sounds like some "swedish death cleaning " is in order - and it's time to send some of your pans to the "scrap metal man", recycle bin, or trash. )

I'm with those who consider "non-stick" pans disposable. Any pan will do the job until it doesn't. And then I buy a new one.

That said, in a pinch - I can easily use one of my stainless steel skillets to do an omelet or make crepes or pancakes - it's just a matter of adding enough butter and watching the heat.

I'd do cast iron - but I use the pans so infrequently that the cast iron "seasoning" gets furry (dust, cat fur, whatever) or I notice a spot of rust.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

T-Fal Titanium. This is the first nonstick pan I've had that has managed to remain without a scratch for over a year. I do my best to take care of it, but I make omelettes pretty often and the pan has seen heavy use, and it's lasted far better than any other nonstick pan I've used. Also: ignore what the Amazon listing says - do NOT put a nonstick pan in the dishwasher.
Last edited by Independent George on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

The thing about non-stick coatings - high heat damages it over time. So, I'm not sure you should be doing stir fry in a "non-stick" pan... the repeated use of high heat will cause the pan to 'wear out' sooner.

Just pointing that out...
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

camillus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 pm I really, really want to like cast iron.

I find however that they are a pain to clean and re-season. There are a few more steps. I find myself reaching for other pans more often when I need to make dinner happen...
+1
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 pm The thing about non-stick coatings - high heat damages it over time. So, I'm not sure you should be doing stir fry in a "non-stick" pan... the repeated use of high heat will cause the pan to 'wear out' sooner.

Just pointing that out...
I missed that part of the OP - yeah, that is definitely outside the use case for a nonstick pan. I pretty much reserve mine for omelettes and other low-heat/low agitation dishes.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

texasdiver wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm I have a kitchen drawer full of various nonstick frying pans from Costco Kirkland signature to various other expensive and inexpensive options. None of them are really very good.

Does anyone have recommendations for the very best nonstick pans for eggs, stir fries, and other uses? Cost is not really an objective (within reason). I just don't want to waste money on yet another mediocre pan.
We own and operate an airbnb business. Hexclad are the best, they have lasted 3+ years of heavy use. Everything else (Kirkland, T-Fal, Le Creuset, Calphalon) is a disposable yearly item if we even got that much out of them.

https://hexclad.com/collections/all?nbt ... gJOdfD_BwE

Cast iron is not nonstick no matter how how well seasoned!
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Cuisinart.

I have exactly one non-stick pan. It is very small. I use it solely to fry one egg sunny side up. It is wonderful. I highly recommend it.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

We've used GreenPan from Target for almost 10 years. Never had a problem with either the 10" fry pan for omelettes, or the 5qt, for larger entrees.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Hi all can one get a Teflon frying pan recoated?

I have an All Clad one which I hate to throw out.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Non stick coating is a wear item. By definition the pan is not a lifetime purchase.

I've personally just learned to cook in stainless. I've tried all sorts of other pans, but stainless works fine, it just had a bit more egg left in the pan when scrambled. Otherwise no issues.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I finally got my first cast iron pan and love it. It sounds daunting at first with the special care, seasoning etc, but if you watch some YouTube videos, after you get that initial seasoning it’s not that bad.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

+1 I've tried multiple brands, some cheap and some expensive, and they all last a year or two at most.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

We have tried a few, some cheap, some medium, some expensive. The best has been an OXO skillet, $40 for the 12 in. Several years of very frequent use and it is holding up great. Of course dont use metal utensils on it though.

Cheers
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I'm not much for cooking, don't have much to compare it to, but I was given one of those TV infomercial "Red Copper" ceramic-copper-infused pans and it works great for me. Pretty amazingly "nonstick" even without butter or oil, cleans easy...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok »

Tdubs wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:18 pm
camillus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:03 pm I really, really want to like cast iron.

+1
I think you're supposed to just rinse/wipe down after use, no detergent and no need to re-season..
Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:13 pm Can you tell us what problems you are having with the pans you have? Sometimes it's not the non-stick part of the pan that's a problem. (it also sounds like some "swedish death cleaning " is in order - and it's time to send some of your pans to the "scrap metal man", recycle bin, or trash. )

I'm with those who consider "non-stick" pans disposable. Any pan will do the job until it doesn't. And then I buy a new one.

That said, in a pinch - I can easily use one of my stainless steel skillets to do an omelet or make crepes or pancakes - it's just a matter of adding enough butter and watching the heat.

I'd do cast iron - but I use the pans so infrequently that the cast iron "seasoning" gets furry (dust, cat fur, whatever) or I notice a spot of rust.
They all seem to lose their nonstick character over time. They don’t get scratched up so I keep them. But I guess the coatings have a finite life and I should just replace them every couple years.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

No. Gets expensive. Would be great if there is a better option.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes »

I used to be non-stick, but the wearing of the coatings made me sad. I couldn't find one I liked. I got one stainless pan and learned to love the sear, the high heat capability, and the faster warmup time (the teflon on non-stick is a poor conductor). My wife was adamantly against stainless because she wanted non-stick pans. So I practiced for months how to make/keep the stainless slick. I got it down to a science and now make daily fried eggs on the stainless with no egg left behind, cleanup is super fast. The pan looks seasoned and well used, which I also think adds to the beauty. Good luck in your non-stick endevor, but I finally found my best non-stick pan was actually a stainless steel pan. In the end I also convinced the wife that it works just as good, and she agreed to get a full set of stainless.
Beleiber

Post by Beleiber »

Have you tried

https://www.amazon.com/MINERAL-Round-Ca ... den&sr=1-6

We love it. Non Stick without the chemicals. Not as heavy as cast iron. This is our go to pan for omelettes. Seasoning is a one time activity. Best part is it keeps getting better with use unlike non sticks.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Metsfan91 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 pm
There is. Cast iron/carbon steel. Yes, they require slightly more work and you may need to adapt your cooking style a bit.

Non-stick pans are disposable by design. They are intended to be inexpensive and easy for anyone to avoid sticking food with no work. It’s the disposable razor model of the cooking world.
NightFall

Post by NightFall »

Lodge cast iron. Lasts forever and gets better over time, which is the exact opposite of other non-stick pans in my experience. Nothing sticks to it. I cook eggs in it and the pan looks brand new and clean after the eggs slide out. I’ve melted pure sugar in the pan (which is the stickiest substance known to man in my opinion) and it rolls around like balls. You don’t have to baby it or anything. Clean with water and rub a light coat of oil on it. Looks brand new. Weight is an issue, but I’m disappointed I threw away so many other non-stick pans before finding cast iron.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Metsfan91 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 pm
Sorry, but they are most definitely disposable, and they aren't that expensive. There is no better option for certain cooking applications.
bovineplane

Post by bovineplane »

Another vote for cast iron.
Wk1014

Post by Wk1014 »

Well seasoned cast iron, If you can don’t go buy a new cast-iron they just don’t make them the way they used too
raisinsaregrapes

Post by raisinsaregrapes »

Wk1014 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 am Well seasoned cast iron, If you can don’t go buy a new cast-iron they just don’t make them the way they used too
You can still find good new cast iron. Just $$$$. Look up smithey cast iron.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

raisinsaregrapes wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 pm
Wk1014 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:04 am Well seasoned cast iron, If you can don’t go buy a new cast-iron they just don’t make them the way they used too
Lodge is still a fine product.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

texasdiver wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 pm
LittleMaggieMae wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:13 pm Can you tell us what problems you are having with the pans you have? Sometimes it's not the non-stick part of the pan that's a problem. (it also sounds like some "swedish death cleaning " is in order - and it's time to send some of your pans to the "scrap metal man", recycle bin, or trash. )

They all seem to lose their nonstick character over time. They don’t get scratched up so I keep them. But I guess the coatings have a finite life and I should just replace them every couple years.
I actually have the opposite problem. Food doesn’t really seem to stick so much to the pan, but I recently noticed some scratches. I had been using a wooden spatula or spoon, but I guess that’s not good and have switched to a silicone spatula. But I guess the damage has been done, and I also need a replacement pan now.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

When it comes to nonstick pans, I find that cheap but not too cheap is best.

I have used my Amazon Basics nonstick 8" and 10" frying pans for several years now and they are still going strong. Less than $10 per pan. I have to tighten the handles now and then, which means the screw in the handle is stretching and will eventually break, and I will have to get new ones.

So proactively, I bought the Tramontina nonstick 8" and 10" frying pans a couple of years ago, and while they are more hefty, they do not do a better job, and take longer to heat up. The Tramontina coating is not holding up that well, and I suspect the coating will wear out about the same time as the Amazon Basics' handles break.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

For eggs (over easy, omelettes, etc) I use a carbon steel pan that is well seasoned. A little butter and my eggs slide right out (maybe 1/10 tbsp butter when I cook eggs). Also for searing fish.

Cast iron for most of my other cooking. Pancakes in a cast iron can have a nice, slight crunch on the very exterior that you can't replicate with a teflon pan.

Just never cook acidic foods in either carbon steel or cast iron as the acids can eat away at the seasoned coating. For this reason I keep a few stainless steel pans or my dutch oven (marinara, meat in a lime or lemon based sauce).

If the pan is up to cooking temperature, you shouldn't have too much problem with food sticking with a well seasoned pan. However, I can't really cook eggs in cast iron very well unless I put way more oil/butter than I prefer.
Wk1014

Post by Wk1014 »

raisinsaregrapes wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:38 pm
ButterPat also makes a much better pan from what I have heard
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

tooluser wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:36 pm I have to tighten the handles now and then
https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... cale=en_us
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/prod ... ed271.html

I used high heat red thread-locker on some of my cheaper pans with screws that liked to back out. Haven't had any problems since. :happy
diydocwifejd

Post by diydocwifejd »

Scanpan 1000000000%
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

diydocwifejd wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:54 am Scanpan 1000000000%
I've struck out on ceramic pans. Teflon flakes after use and abuse (usually high temperatures), but I just get the cheap pans and replace regularly.

https://misen.com/blogs/news/ceramic-vs-teflon
https://thecookwaregeek.com/ceramic-vs-teflon/
https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/264 ... are-guide/
Independent George wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm T-Fal Titanium. This is the first nonstick pan I've had that has managed to remain without a scratch for over a year. I do my best to take care of it, but I make omelettes pretty often and the pan has seen heavy use, and it's lasted far better than any other nonstick pan I've used. Also: ignore what the Amazon listing says - do NOT put a nonstick pan in the dishwasher.
+1 on the Tfal Titanium, one of the better and longer lasting teflon pans I've used.
https://therationalkitchen.com/the-best ... -cookware/
Neuron

Post by Neuron »

Ninja anodized pans. About $30-$50 per pot/pan. I hand wash and use very sparse amounts of oil while cooking and eggs slide around the pan if I tilt it with no effort to unstick. You have to follow the preheat instructions carefully and I choose to hand wash them to make them last longer, but you are supposed to be able to machine wash and use metal spatulas in them.

Most pans can be made “less stick” if you preheat them and never put food or oil in a cold pan.