Can't remove old shower head

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fsrph

Can't remove old shower head

Post by fsrph »

My shower head is beginning to leak and I want to replace it. Thought it would be easy, but no such luck. Problem is I can't get the old shower head off. It's a simple chrome shower head and has been attached many years. I tried many things. Gripped and tried to turn head connection with pliers, used Liquid Wrench, vinegar, CLR. Nothing works, it doesn't budge. Any ideas what I can try?

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
daheld

Re: Can't remove old shower head

Post by daheld »

2 Piece Rubber Strap Adjustable Wrenches

[Link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Vise grip + Hammer.
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

pipe wrench with breaker bar....
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

the part in the wall is also threaded... you can remove that too, but its now its becoming a slightly bigger project
Bogle7

How to remove old shower head

Post by Bogle7 »

Time for a bathroom renovation.
Why else have you been frugal?
fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:19 pm And if I break the arm connection behind the wall the shower would be unusable.
Giving you the excuse to do a renovation.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
RichK

Post by RichK »

I would get out a hair dryer and give the showerhead about 2-3 minutes on high and try again.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have two pipe wrenches for just this sort of thing. It will turn or at the least, makes it easier to chisel off what remains of the shower head after it gets twisted into pieces. When you go to put the new showerhead on, use some Teflon tape or antisieze to make it easier for whomever has to remove that one.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I love my sawzall, but maybe not the best application for it... but I bet you I could get that shower head off in 5 seconds :wink:
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Can you get the shower arm off from the fitting in the wall cavity? If so, those are cheap to replace.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Maybe heat it up first by running hot water through it, then try to twist it off with a wrench while it's still hot?

-B
wilked

Post by wilked »

Agree w heat, but I’d use a torch. Go slowly, heat little by little, it’ll give
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am My shower head is beginning to leak and I want to replace it. Thought it would be easy, but no such luck. Problem is I can't get the old shower head off. It's a simple chrome shower head and has been attached many years. I tried many things. Gripped and tried to turn head connection with pliers, used Liquid Wrench, vinegar, CLR. Nothing works, it doesn't budge. Any ideas what I can try?

Francis
Were the pliers vice grip pliers?
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:08 pm Can you get the shower arm off from the fitting in the wall cavity? If so, those are cheap to replace.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't try removing the shower arm yet. I figure that connection is untouched longer than the shower head so it's probably frozen too. And if I break the arm connection behind the wall the shower would be unusable.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

wilked wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm Agree w heat, but I’d use a torch. Go slowly, heat little by little, it’ll give
I was thinking about using heat also. Was thinking boiling water. Never thought of a torch. Have to check what Lowe's or Harbor Freight has.

Francis
Barcelonasteve

Post by Barcelonasteve »

Use two hammers to simultaneously tap opposite sides of the outside of the threaded part (the “nut”). Do that several times, working around it.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I would strongly hesitate to start torquing multiple wrenches on it as you'll FUBAR something else and create a bigger problem.

I would undoubtedly hit it with heat - propane torch. Get it to expand/contract a bit to break the bind. Small homeowners version is about $10 at local hardware (comes w/ propane).

If you've sprayed w/ chemicals first (PB Blaster comes to mind), be careful as some are flammable.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Ramjet wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:13 pm
fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:58 am My shower head is beginning to leak and I want to replace it. Thought it would be easy, but no such luck. Problem is I can't get the old shower head off. It's a simple chrome shower head and has been attached many years. I tried many things. Gripped and tried to turn head connection with pliers, used Liquid Wrench, vinegar, CLR. Nothing works, it doesn't budge. Any ideas what I can try?

Francis
Were the pliers vice grip pliers?
I used long tongue and groove pliers. That's all I had around. One problem is the connection I need to loosen on top of the shower head is round. It's hard to get a good grip on it.

Francis
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

There is a real chance that you will make things worse, maybe a lot worse. Old brass piping can get fragile...

If two pipe wrenches won't do it (by the way, guaranteed to leave marks on the chrome) then...live with it or hire a plumber.
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

F150HD wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:26 pm I would strongly hesitate to start torquing multiple wrenches on it as you'll FUBAR something else and create a bigger problem.

I would undoubtedly hit it with heat - propane torch. Get it to expand/contract a bit to break the bind. Small homeowners version is about $10 at local hardware (comes w/ propane).

If you've sprayed w/ chemicals first (PB Blaster comes to mind), be careful as some are flammable.
I agree totally with your first point - I don't want to create bigger problems trying to loosen the shower head. I think it's reasonable to use heat. Did a quick search and Lowe's had nothing close to $10-25. I'll have to do a better search when I have more time.

Francis
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm I think it's reasonable to use heat.

Francis
Give something like this heat gun

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt ... 56434.html

a try.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

TexasPE wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 pm
fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm I think it's reasonable to use heat.

Francis
Give something like this heat gun

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt ... 56434.html

a try.
I haven't tried a heat gun. Wouldn't a hair dryer of similar wattage do the same thing? OP probably has access to one already.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

adamthesmythe wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:45 pm There is a real chance that you will make things worse, maybe a lot worse. Old brass piping can get fragile...

If two pipe wrenches won't do it (by the way, guaranteed to leave marks on the chrome) then...live with it or hire a plumber.
Good advice. My problem isn't an emergency. Shower head still works but when I change settings water comes out of the top of the head. I could just leave on one setting and it's fine but it's only a matter of time before it breaks. It may come to calling a plumber. If so, I'll probably ask them to replace the shower arm also.

Francis
Topic Author
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Thanks to the great recommendations about where to find the torch and heat gun. A hairdryer was mentioned. I could try that, certainly won't cause any harm.

Francis
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've had really good results with the PB Blaster Penetrating catalyst.

Just follow the directions on the can. Give it time to work.

And you might want to shield the area around and below it with paper towels, because it has a strong oily smell that can be hard to remove from some surfaces.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-11- ... /310486628
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Can't figure out if you actually tried the plumbing wrench or not. I'd do that if you didn't try it already.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Seems like this is getting too complicated. Two plumber wrenches and it is coming off.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

fsrph, a word of caution before you start applying heavy pressure with assorted tools. Make sure the shower head isn't connected to plastic pipe behind the wall. If it is, treat it with care.

Our house is 26 years old; and the metal shower head screws onto a 6" metal "gooseneck", which in turn screws into PVC pipe behind the wall. The part of the gooseneck that sticks out from the wall is all tarnished, and has some "grip" marks on it from changing previous shower heads. I've done several over the years.

I wanted to change that too since the first time; but it wouldn't budge without applying what I considered to be excessive torque. Metal pipe into PVC, what could possibly go wrong? :annoyed

So, I just left it alone for now. Will take care of that when I can get the wife convinced to do a complete makeover.
CABob

Post by CABob »

By this time I would have already called in a plumber, however have you considered soaking it with CLR? You could use a plastic bag or container of some sort to hold the cleaner to allow it to soak the shower head.
Bob
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Francis
Absolutely use a double wrench setup so you put zero turn twist and strain on the wall outlet pipe. If it forms and breaks or splits at the inside wall drop ear 90 degree fitting it will be a very bad day.

2 large circular mouth (for pipes) channel locks should be more than enough to get this done.

Is the shower head threading rusted on or heavy corrosion??

*Do not use pipe wrenches because they exert a heavy squeeze force and will crush the thin outlet pipe. Then another really bad day.

On the reinstall, use Teflon tape and silicone pipe dope and don’t over tighten both the shower head and outlet pipe. This applies to any bath fixture or pipe that might have to be removed, tub spouts, etc.

You can also remove the shower head body then put a careful diagonal saw cut with a fine sharp hacksaw blade. Saw just barely down to the threading and the channel locks will twist it off.
A Dremel also works but absolutely do not cut the threads.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Use a propane torch. Direct the heat on the head and place your other hand on the goose neck close to the wall. When the goose neck is too hot to touch, take away the torch and wrap the goose neck with an ice cold rag. Repeat 2-3 times then use plumbers pliers on the goose neck.

https://www.jensentools.com/irwin-gv10- ... /p/443-706
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

F150HD wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:26 pm I would strongly hesitate to start torquing multiple wrenches on it as you'll FUBAR something else and create a bigger problem.
If you torque something hard enough, it is possible to twist the copper fitting right off of the pipe in the wall. Then you will have to call a plumber to cut through the drywall behind the shower and replace the fitting. Nice guy, but he will tell you he doesn’t do drywall. You end up doing the drywall. Ask me how I know this. :wink:
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Call a plumber? :oops: (or, if you want to roll the dice, a handyman...)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:19 pm
lthenderson wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:08 pm Can you get the shower arm off from the fitting in the wall cavity? If so, those are cheap to replace.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't try removing the shower arm yet. I figure that connection is untouched longer than the shower head so it's probably frozen too. And if I break the arm connection behind the wall the shower would be unusable.

Francis
I usually find the connection between the shower arm and the 90 degree fitting much easier to unthread because the shower arm and 90 degree fitting are usually made from better materials and more often have teflon tape or silicon put on the threads. Most people skip this step when installing new shower heads leading to this result. Most showerheads are plated pot metal and are prone to rust causing things to seize. If you go the torch route, one trick is to wrap a cold wet rag around the shower arm so that it doesn't heat up and expand while you are applying heat to the nut on the showerhead. Be careful not to overdo it with the torch and set the rag on fire.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Can't believe only one vote for a penetrating fluid....that would be my first choice, as it is inexpensive.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Is there a shutoff valve for water to the shower that you can close before you start the repair?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

fsrph wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm

I agree totally with your first point - I don't want to create bigger problems trying to loosen the shower head. I think it's reasonable to use heat. Did a quick search and Lowe's had nothing close to $10-25. I'll have to do a better search when I have more time.

Francis
Here you go:

Lowes $17 https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Br ... 1000095816

Walmart $16 https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bernzomatic- ... n/17128613
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Kenkat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:42 pm
If you torque something hard enough, it is possible to twist the copper fitting right off of the pipe in the wall. Then you will have to call a plumber to cut through the drywall behind the shower and replace the fitting. Nice guy, but he will tell you he doesn’t do drywall. You end up doing the drywall. Ask me how I know this. :wink:
lol. had a pipe break in my old home 20 years ago. They came in, put holes in the ceiling to fix....replumed much of the house - left me w/ the same problem! Though house was old so it was plaster & chicken wire. The holes sat for a while....finally just made some nice maple access panels to cover (one in closet ceiling, one in hallway ceiling). That way they are easy to access later. Still....same pain as you.